• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King Dedede

SR7884

Smash Apprentice
Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong
No one has suggested King Dedede yet....

He's already on the rumoured list for a new character....

Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)
Ridley (Metroid - 1986)
Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Ninten (Mother - 1989)
Jeff (Mother 2/"Earthbound" in the U.S. - 1994/1995)
Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lololo and Lalala (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Oguma (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 1996)
Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Black Shadow (F-Zero X - 1998)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - 1990)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!! - 1994)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo - 2004)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin - 2001)
Lip (Panel de Pon - 1995)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou - 1986)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight - 1993)
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)
"Cat-Eye Link?
"Zehi New Ogre?"

Third Party Suggestions

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)
G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)
Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)
Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin (Konami) (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 2004)
Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)
Sora (Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts - 2002)
Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)
I certainly think he has potential....with that hammer....

what do you guys think?

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
No one has suggested? I even sent a message to the Nintendo guys to put Dedede in because he is the character that fits better into this game. HE fits better than Sonic. If he's in the game I'm gonna master him.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
How is he going to use the Hammer item from Donkey Kong Arcade?
The same way the Ice Climbers do, duh.

When I first thought of Dedede, it was as a DK Clone, for some reason. But now he could probably be original enough to fit into the game. He's the top original character suggestion on Sakurai's poll, believe it or not. The only question is: will he get 5 jumps, or hover like Peach? I say the second option.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
The people who made smash also made many kirby games, I would be surprised if he wasn't in it

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Gerbality said:
The people who made smash also made many kirby games, I would be surprised if he wasn't in it
Well, they only had Kirby to represent Kirby games until Brawl. I think Sakurai doesn't want to flood Brawl with his characters.

Squatdog7

Smash Apprentice
Tomasiarity said:
Well, they only had Kirby to represent Kirby games until Brawl. I think Sakurai doesn't want to flood Brawl with his characters.

I remember in an interview he said that for melee he was worried about putting too many of his own characters in the game, but now that wasnt an issue because he put so many characters that werent his into melee. That statement is somewhere on the boards but i can remember where. This might mean that King Dedede has a good chance of making it in.

Rebel

Smash Apprentice
I really hope he does, I think it would help balance things out having more heavy characters. His hammer would be awesome. Yeah I vote for the Peach float thing for him. Yeah I agree that Sakurai shouldn't feel to guilty about putting him now-so he should.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Too many of his own characters in? Three characters from one universe isn't too much. Look at Mario.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I posted a Dedede movelist on the Revolution smash thread. Here it is:

*King Dededee
-Big and heavy
-Puffs up like Kirby a max of three times
-Can carry boxes and barrels easily like DK can
-Neutral B: Suck: If you remember correctly, King Dededee has this ability in the Kirby games. He would suck them up just like Kirby, but cannot swallow them. Instead, he can shoot them out with much more force than Kirby.
-Forward B: Flaming hammer: This move will charge up momentarily like Falcon's punch and them he will swing his hammer with a great deal of force and a decent range. It should be about as powerful as Falcon's punch. All people hit will light on fire and take 2 more damage after the impact before going out.
-Down B: Ground pound: You guessed it. The same move as Yoshi/Bowser. Dededee also has this move in the games. When he hits the ground, it will cause close opponents to be hurt. But he will do a small bounce after landing and do a second hit, which would be like DK's ground slapping. After that, King Dededee will get up.
-Up B: Hammer stab: He will launch himself upward, hammer extended like the Ice Climbers. At the top of this jump he will spin once rapidly (like ice climbers, but more powerful), hurling anyone away that was unfortunate enough to be in range of his mallet
-Throw: He will extend his hammer and pull it back quickly, taking the enemy toward him (which will give him a bit longer range). When throwing the enemy forward, he will back away a little and whack them with the hammer. Throwing them backward will look just like when DK does it, hurling them back and turning around in the process. When throwing down, he will bring the opponent down to the ground and smashes them straight down with his mallet. When throwing the person up, he will jump and kick them, back flip and then land again.
-Taunt: He will give a thumbs up and smile, showing his bright teeth.
-When swallowed by Kirby, he gets Dededee's coat

So he'd have a luigified kirby move and a third character with the ground pound, but I really want to see him in there!!!

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Eaode said:
I posted a Dedede movelist on the Revolution smash thread. Here it is:

*King Dededee
-Big and heavy
-Puffs up like Kirby a max of three times
-Can carry boxes and barrels easily like DK can
-Neutral B: Suck: If you remember correctly, King Dededee has this ability in the Kirby games. He would suck them up just like Kirby, but cannot swallow them. Instead, he can shoot them out with much more force than Kirby.
-Forward B: Flaming hammer: This move will charge up momentarily like Falcon's punch and them he will swing his hammer with a great deal of force and a decent range. It should be about as powerful as Falcon's punch. All people hit will light on fire and take 2 more damage after the impact before going out.
-Down B: Ground pound: You guessed it. The same move as Yoshi/Bowser. Dededee also has this move in the games. When he hits the ground, it will cause close opponents to be hurt. But he will do a small bounce after landing and do a second hit, which would be like DK's ground slapping. After that, King Dededee will get up.
-Up B: Hammer stab: He will launch himself upward, hammer extended like the Ice Climbers. At the top of this jump he will spin once rapidly (like ice climbers, but more powerful), hurling anyone away that was unfortunate enough to be in range of his mallet
-Throw: He will extend his hammer and pull it back quickly, taking the enemy toward him (which will give him a bit longer range). When throwing the enemy forward, he will back away a little and whack them with the hammer. Throwing them backward will look just like when DK does it, hurling them back and turning around in the process. When throwing down, he will bring the opponent down to the ground and smashes them straight down with his mallet. When throwing the person up, he will jump and kick them, back flip and then land again.
-Taunt: He will give a thumbs up and smile, showing his bright teeth.
-When swallowed by Kirby, he gets Dededee's coat

So he'd have a luigified kirby move and a third character with the ground pound, but I really want to see him in there!!!
Heh, so when kirby swallows him, he gets a different kind of Sucking skill. I love it!

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
I made a movelist too. I'd love for Dedede to be in.

King Dedede

A - Horizontal hammer swing (swings hammer sideways quickly) = 3 Damage (fast)
Side A - Heavy horizontal swing (winds up, then swings hammer sideways) = 9 damage (slow)
Down A - Hammer Poke (Jabs hammer forward) = 6 damage (medium)
Up A - Hammer Poke up (Stabs hammer straight up) = 6 damage (medium)
Running A - Trip (Trips and slides a short distance) = 13 damage (fast)

F-Smash - Heavy Hit (Just like ICs) = 10-20 damage (medium)
D-Smash - 360 sweep (Sweeps hammer along the ground in a circle around him) = 15-25 damage (slow)
U-Smash - Heavy Hammer Poke up (Crouches, then lunges upwards with his hammer) 8-22 damage (medium)

Nair - Cartwheel (Like Kirby's, but slower. More damage and knockback) = 4 damage per hit, 5 hits possible (medium)
Fair - Belly Bump (Bumps out with his gut, like Peach does with her butt.) = 15 damage (medium)
Bair - Backhand (Slaps backward with his flipper/hand) = 10 damage (fast)
Dair - Body slam (Slams down to earth face-first) = 15 damage (slow)
Uair - Barrel Roll (Does a barrel roll with the hammer swinging out for better range) = 6 damage per hit, 4 hits possible (medium)

B - Suck (Just like Kirby's, minus the power stealing) = 2 damage. B again - Shoot. Aims in 360 degrees with control stick. Immobile while "armed". Hitting ground or wall causes 15 damage. Hitting another character causes 15 damage to both (medium to suck, fast to shoot)
Forward B - Peck (Stabs with his beak) = 12 damage (medium-fast)
Down B - Stomping (Very similar to DK's) = 4 damage per hit. If done in the air, Dedede stomps down to earth hard, like Bowser's down B = 20 damage (medium)
Up B - Backflip kick (Like Kirby's) = 15 damage (medium)

Z - Grab (Reaches out with his arm) = (medium)
Running Z - Sliding grab (Quickly reaches out and grabs, while sliding to a stop) = (fast)
A while holding - Peck (Stabs with his beak) = 3 damage (medium)
Forward throw - Hammer hit (Tosses the enemy up, then hits them with the hammer. Not DI-able) = 20 damage (slow)
Back throw - Throw into the ground (Swings them over his should into the dirt) = 12 damage (medium)
Up throw - Vertical Toss (Throws them straight up) = 10 damage (medium)
Down throw - Sit (As in, on top of you) = 15 (medium)

Smash Emblem - Fills with air and then floats around level squishing enemies.

Taunt - Puffs up with air, then puffs it out in the direction he's facing. Hits for 0 damage
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

He would be a slow character, similar to Bowser and DK. His attacks come off about as fast as DK's, and most of his moves have a lot of knockback. Puffs up with air like Kirby for extra jumps. Has five jumps to make up for lack of recovery moves. Very floaty for a heavyweight. Unlock by defeating Metaknight, with Kirby, on Halberd. After the fight, Dedede challenges you on Fountain of Dreams. Defeat him and he's yours!

If Kirby takes his power he turns dark blue and gets the hat, beak, and feet of Dedede. (Looks just like a spherical penguin! With a hat...)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Haha. Cool idea for a moveset, Eaode. It sounds like when Kirby copies Dedede's power, it's like Throw from Kirby's Adventure :p

And yeah, Sakurai was afraid of putting too many of his own characters in there, which is weird, because he really only heavily developed the Kirby games (he may have had a hand in Mother, though I'm not sure). Meta Knight was held from Melee because he was afraid of not using enough of everybody else's ideas.

parrothead

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
The same way the Ice Climbers do, duh.

When I first thought of Dedede, it was as a DK Clone, for some reason. But now he could probably be original enough to fit into the game. He's the top original character suggestion on Sakurai's poll, believe it or not. The only question is: will he get 5 jumps, or hover like Peach? I say the second option.
Did their hammers disappeared while they were using the DK Hammer items?

King Dedede's hammer is a lot larger than Popo's and Nana's hammers.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
love the idea, although out of the 3 movesets shown, i like the second's b moves, taunt, and kirby cosutme the best, while the smash and a attacks are the best from #3, so combine them and there is dedede

(hehe DEE DEE DEE, for those of you who watch Carlos Mencia)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
parrothead said:
Did their hammers disappeared while they were using the DK Hammer items?

King Dedede's hammer is a lot larger than Popo's and Nana's hammers.
Firstly, having a weapon similar to an item has not held back characters before (Marth and Roy with Beam Swords, for example). Secondly, characters can swing the hammer one-handed, like Game and Watch. Thirdly, Dedede is not always carrying his hammer. In some boss battles and Kirby 64, it appears out of "hammer space" when he needs it, like most animes.

parrothead

Smash Lord
I know it is okay for Marth and Roy to use other battering items besides the DK Hammer (e.g. Star Rod, Lip's Stick, Home-Run Bat, Fan, etc.), but did you forgot to tell me about Adult and Young Link?

I guess the DK Hammer contains magic that allows anyone to hold it with one hand, if they want to.

Doesn't Dedede's hammer pop out of his robe from small to large, or what?

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman
I love the idea of king Dedede , he would be floaty and heavy etc...

Put in short

he would be awsome

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman
When dedede does the Down B attack would he let out stars like yoshi or not?

Rebel

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I don't think he would be a complete clone. I think Nintendo knows that we want some individuality in the characters.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
ciRius j0Qr said:
What the heck (I just entered )
I know who this guy is but
He's a duck And will exploit the whole game
Do you know what exploit means?

I mean, I know Ducks are infamous for embezzlement and mail fraud. But Dedede is a penguin.

That said, I expect Dedede to be in. But his size will definitely present some problems. Mirby and Metaknight are already overscaled and Dedede would end up being about the size of Bowser, but with a disjointed hitbox. So all you Dedede fans, he might be a formidable fighter, but I wouldn't count on anything High tier.

2ndchance

Smash Journeyman

Resting_Fox said:
Do you know what exploit means?

I mean, I know Ducks are infamous for embezzlement and mail fraud. But Dedede is a penguin.

That said, I expect Dedede to be in. But his size will definitely present some problems. Mirby and Metaknight are already overscaled and Dedede would end up being about the size of Bowser, but with a disjointed hitbox. So all you Dedede fans, he might be a formidable fighter, but I wouldn't count on anything High tier.

Ya he would probably be low tier

SR7884

Smash Apprentice
Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong
HourglassMemory said:
No one has suggested? I even sent a message to the Nintendo guys to put Dedede in because he is the character that fits better into this game. HE fits better than Sonic. If he's in the game I'm gonna master him.
ok, well I thought no has done yet.....

well I'm wrong....

but never mind....

------------------------

I would have thought Kirby, Metaknight, King Dedede would have been enough for Kirby characters.....I don't who else he could put in from the series....I don't know Kirby games that well....

Kirby PopStar

Smash Cadet
Rebel said:
Yeah, I don't think he would be a complete clone. I think Nintendo knows that we want some individuality in the characters.
But he SHOULD be very much a Kirby clone. It's the entire basis for his character! He's trained himself vigorously to mimic Kirby's fighting ability! :psycho:

JesusFreak

Smash Hero
I want Dedede to be in as well. Kirby chars are my favorite, and I already plan to become the best Meta-Knight player. Dedede in my mind would resemble a character that's part Bowser, part Kirby, as far as basic character design. He will be able to have an original moveset based on the Kirby games, I have no doubt, altho he should obviously have some similarities to Kirby's fighting style, but he also has plent that is unique to him.

Bowser85

Smash Apprentice
While I don't doubt the whole "suck" move, I think that might work better as a Down+B or similar. His Neutral B should be that wind-up hammer attack from Kirby 64. And his Super Move should have him get angry, and let you go berserk on people for a short time, allowing all of your moves to have some fiery explosive variation to them, just like when you fight him in Kirby's Dreamland 2. :laugh:

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Wait... why would Dedede be a clone of Kirby? He can work pretty well on his own.

B: Hammer Spin -- Spins his hammer and slams it down, like he did in Kirby 64. His A attacks mostly use his hammer as well, but this attack can spike people or flatten them, depending if it's used in the air on the ground. He builds just a little bit more power from spinning it as opposed to tapping B.

Forward B: Swallow -- Sucks in enemies like Kirby, but tires out if he goes too long without catching anything. He can still walk, jump, etc., but when he spits out the opponent, they go FLYING at a high velocity until they slam into whatever they hit. He can't copy their power, but to compensate, it gets this increased power. You can angle his "spit" upwards as well, so they fly out at an angle.

Up B: King Jump -- Squats down and jumps well into the air, about the height of Kirby's Final Cutter, knocking back people he hits on the rise.

Down B: Icicle Breath -- He IS a penguin :p A cross between the Ice Climbers' Blizzard and Bowser's Fire Breath. Dedede puffs up and blows out a chilly breath that freezes foes, but it dies down after a while.

I could make up the rest of his moves if anyone likes what I have so far. Btw, I figured he should have an low-mid first jump, and his second jump would be very "floaty" as he puffs up and starts to "hover" as he floats in the air. He rises as he does it, but slowly, and it doesn't go for as long as Peach's hover.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Eaode said:
What if that is the KO boundary?
Blaaaaargh! I knew someone would notice that, but I was too lazy to edit my rushed typing :laugh:

They only travel a certain distance, like the length of a Falcon Kick maybe. If they hit something they'll smash into it and stop moving, though.

Top Bottom