• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi discussion!!!

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Yoshi's upB needs to not be complete crap,
because who really would rather throw eggs (6-8%)
than survive a lethl attack? His 2nd jump is pretty good, but once you get
edgeguarded once, it's over. He can't hang from ledges with his tongue (idea)
or anything. This dude needs help. His Dair may do 28% to a sandbag, but
no human player would ever fall for that, it's easy to DI out of.
His downB is fine, he just needs a decent upB.
Maybe the egg throw can make him hover in place a little in the air,
while moving left or rifht to aid recovery. It would instantly raise him in Tier.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Actually his eggs can deal up to 14% damage. His dair can deal 52% damage and yes, I can do it to other players.

Do you even use Yoshi? I've been using him for years and never had any problems recovering. I mean, if you're having problems just go to the Yoshi section and read more about him. His jump is amazing and heavy. If you use it right you won't be easily edge guarded.

His eggs, geez..... they are so useful. No other characters in the game has the throwing freedom he does. It scares me when people suggest getting rid of such amazing moves.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
Maybe he could hover, it would be nice. If anything he should jump a little higher and be a lot heavier. And he should have a longer air dodge.

Top tier would be neat cause Yoshi is a great character. But I enjoy the fact that I don't need high tiers to be sweet. Keep him with the other rejects.
=P

D.A.

Smash Apprentice
SSJ4Kazuki said:
Yoshi's upB needs to not be complete crap,
because who really would rather throw eggs (6-8%)
than survive a lethl attack? His 2nd jump is pretty good, but once you get
edgeguarded once, it's over. He can't hang from ledges with his tongue (idea)
or anything. This dude needs help. His Dair may do 28% to a sandbag, but
no human player would ever fall for that, it's easy to DI out of.
His downB is fine, he just needs a decent upB.
Maybe the egg throw can make him hover in place a little in the air,
while moving left or rifht to aid recovery. It would instantly raise him in Tier.
I like the idea of hovering during the Egg Throw. I think his little Pound should just be replaced with the Egg Throw and he could have his hover like he does in the games. But if we're not talking replacing moves, hovering while in the air with up B is probably the best idea.

Antiself

Smash Apprentice
Since the egg roll is one of the worst moves in the games, I'd like it if that would be replaced with a hoverish move. The ground pound and egg throw has uses.

JLoc

Smash Apprentice
I say leave him with only two jumps but make his second jump by pressing the Y or X button repeatil like with Mario tornado.. but don't drop.

Office_Shredder

Smash Ace
Yoshi actually has one of the longer/more resilient recoveries in the game..... if you get hit back out, it's probably because you didn't air dodge fast enough past the attack.

Besides, most characters that get hit back out just waste thirty seconds up Bing into a down smash over and over again before dying. You're really not missing much

Bloshi

Smash Ace
NO HOVER ability for the eggs! This would make edge eggs alot harder and/or slower, one of his most annoying and useful techs. I would definitely want the egg roll to be replaced because that's pretty much useless, except in a very few amount of situations.

frogfusious

Smash Cadet
The egg roll is actually rather useful and it serves as a good recovery move in many situations. Try getting knocked way out of the arena, doing your second jump and then using the egg roll in the air. You practically skyrocket back onto the stage.

knucklesfanatic

Smash Rookie
RVD_fan said:
Yeah, Yoshi is definitly in need of an update. They need to look through some of his older games to find some new moves for him
I don't know I thought you was fine just the way he was. I mean for his air recovery I just jump,Hover jump then If I need the space I just use the egg roll attack or that air doge(ya know what I mean) But I definetly would like to see some new attacks.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
If you have trouble recovering,here.Do not use your second jump,but rather,use his recovery to knock away enemies,then jump.If you still can't make it,at least take them down with you buy swallowing them into an egg off the ledge.Why do you think his second jump is a B****

PsychicDragon

Smash Rookie
Remember that first off, we can only wish for these things becsause the guys are finishingupthe characters as we speak. Anyway, if they did add some tounge move that could save Yoshi a little better, I'd like it. That's all I really want, the other attacks actually work well if you know what you're doing, and they suit him quite nicely as well.

RPK

Smash Lord
I do kinda like the hovering egg Idea. you can have him throw it like regular when standing but when in the air he can hover like in yoshi story =3

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
he's never had a hover attack in his past games...waht i think is most logical is for him to be able to jump off walls or grab a wall with his tongue. After i found out link and samus could grab legdes, i spent about 10 times dying with yoshi in battle because i thought he could do the same(air dodge closer, use tongue, grab ledge). but no...i just died...

all his moves and jumping abilities are fine...i'd let his tongue grab walls and perhaps wall jump, but thats it.

Office_Shredder

Smash Ace
Seriously.

Yoshi hanging from a wall with his tongue.

This is such a contrived scenario; there is no actual reasoning for why he should have this ability.

Yoshi really does have a decent recovery.... look at characters like falco, doctor mario, captain falcon. Sure, they can up B, but does that really help?

Usually, they just get edgeguarded either way.

Just make him better in other aspects of the game

Luigimaster128

Smash Cadet
Bloshi said:
NO HOVER ability for the eggs! This would make edge eggs alot harder and/or slower, one of his most annoying and useful techs. I would definitely want the egg roll to be replaced because that's pretty much useless, except in a very few amount of situations.
they could make it so you hover in the air but stay planted on the ground when used on the ground.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Luigimaster128 said:
they could make it so you hover in the air but stay planted
on the ground when used on the ground.
YES!!! THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT!

LIKE LINK'S UPB

You would be able to hover slowly left or right for the duration of
the throw animation, then immediately begin to drop.

It doesn't need to have the same effect for the 2nd egg thrown in
midair, like Marth's sideB.

If you are on the ground, you throw an egg normally.

Yoshi's tongur grab should have ******** range like Link's grab,
but people can attack the tongue to deal %%%.

Torilla

Smash Cadet
You guys surely now how Yoshis quite durable in the air, so why not make him super-duper-durable?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why not making his Egg throw somewhat like PK Thunder?

Or give him a sort of rainbow boost or something.

Hey im just throwing out ideas here. :p

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
k... IMPROVISE!

make ^B hover.
give it more range and control.
make hinm heavier in jump.
longer and longer lasting air dodge.
in SMS yoshi had a HUGE tongue, why not bring it back as a grapple-like device!?!?

DokturSea

Smash Lord
annoying1359 said:
k... IMPROVISE!

make ^B hover.
give it more range and control.
make hinm heavier in jump.
longer and longer lasting air dodge.
in SMS yoshi had a HUGE tongue, why not bring it back as a grapple-like device!?!?
1. No
2. Already has it.
3. Already is.
4. Already has one of the longest air dodges in the game.
5. That's kinda gross.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why not some sort of Rainbow Beam? We say Yoshi using rainbow based moves in Mario sport games so why not here?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If anything, replace the crap egg roll with an egg roll that travels more horizontally when in the air. If Yoshi had a huge recovery he'd be pretty broken.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Woah, woah. Yoshi is GREAT. I can clean house with the little dino. If anything needs to be changed, he needs to get back the ability to jump while shielding instead of having to come out of the shield first, and they need to extend his aerial dodge just a little longer. Otherwise, he's an excellent character. The Egg Roll isn't as great as it could be, but hey: deal with it. Who uses Mario's Tornado, or Mewtwo's Confusion, or Link's Arrows? Just a move to fill the quota.

Oh, one thing that REALLY bugs me about Yoshi, though: his Down B can be cancelled. I mean, it's great that his double jump he can't be knocked out of, but how come he can be hit from below while doing his butt stomp? So lame. It's definitely hurt me on more than one occassion, trying to stomp the wrong person (hence why short jumps and butt stomping right on the guy, instead of from above, is preferable)

NOTE: Yoshi is already fairly "broken" in some categories. He's as fast as Sheik while dashing. Did you know that? Sheik just has less lag and faster reaction times. Yoshi has the best second jump in the game, and trumps even Kirby in regular jumping height (Kirby wins with his Final Cutter, though). Yoshi's double jump can't be cancelled, and his Up B offers AMAZING precision. His Smash attacks are some of the strongest in the game, he's an excellent juggler, and he's the fifth heaviest character in the game, rivaling Ganondorf and Samus. If anything, his craptacular other B attacks are there to keep him balanced.

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
Why haven't we discussed his Neutral B? Who uses that move?...
So instead of that move, I'd think they should have his fire-breathing move liek in SMB4.
Eh? Eh?

Grizz Lee

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever tried doing Side B in the Air, before you use your jump? That is what it is made for, holmes. Also, if you Down B, right over the ledge, you will grab onto it.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
El Cid said:
Why haven't we discussed his Neutral B? Who uses that move?...
So instead of that move, I'd think they should have his fire-breathing move liek in SMB4.
Eh? Eh?
I use it. You suck 'em up, poop em out, short hop, and Bair. Wonderful combo.

Erm...Yoshi doesn't breathe fire. Ever.

D1

Banned via Administration
Um look at Zelda's airdodge...nowwww.........look at Yoshi's...who's is better?

I'd rather Yoshi have a combination of Ness and Zelda's airdodge that'd ROCK.

A grapple actually w/ his tongue wouldn't be too bad cuz doing ECEs from the edge is suicidal if you're not good at it. So at least if some mofugguh knocks ya outta your ECE you could tongue urself back on : ).

Yoshi should just be heaviest char in the game and hard to combo like Samus that'd rock really hard : D.

Top Bottom