• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Idea: Hammer Bro.

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
One of Mario's oldest and most annoying foes. The Hammer Bro. is said to be the mightiest warrior in Bowser's Army.

However, this particular Hammer Bro. was born to be one-of-a-kind: It also learned the ways of the Boomerang Bro. and the Fire Bro.

Moveset:

B: Throwing Hammer
The standard weapon that the Hammer Bros. are famous for.
You can adjust the Hammer's Trajectory with the Control Stick.
Hold B for a longer toss.

B+Forward: Boomerang
The Standard weapon of the Boomerang Bros. It works the same as Link and Young Link's Boomerang.
Adjust the Bommerang's Trajectory by pressing Up or Down on the Control Stick.

B+Down: Fireball
The standard Attack inherited from the Fire Bros.
Spits a fireball that has more range and travels more quickly than Mario's Fireball.

B+Up: Rapid Spin
A Recovery Move that hits multiple times.
It works the same as Bowser's Whirling Fortress but since the Hammer Bro. is lighter and smaller than Bowser, it lasts longer and has more altitude.

Taunt: Throws a Hammer up in the air and catches it.

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
xianfeng said:
Sounds like a good idea I like it. His kirby hat would be the helmet. His Taunt would be maybe throwing a hammer up and catching it.
That Taunt is kinda similar to Dr. Mario's. Oh well. Added.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Luigi-Mario said:
That Taunt is kinda similar to Dr. Mario's. Oh well. Added.
I don't play as Dr Mario much so I don't remember lol, he could hammer a nail maybe or throw a fireball, forget to catch it and it burns your feet (doesn't do damage)

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Characters shouldn't be in smash bros. unless they have proper names.
Oh...and Ice Climbers is a proper name.

THe other day, I had a whole moveset worked out for the Bros. though I had them combined like the Ice Climbers. I also had the famous Hammer Bros. cloud as their Up + B. You can't have the Hammer Bros. without their cloud.

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
Ferro De Lupe said:

THe other day, I had a whole moveset worked out for the Bros. though I had them combined like the Ice Climbers. I also had the famous Hammer Bros. cloud as their Up + B. You can't have the Hammer Bros. without their cloud.
Cloud? Where did that come from?

Antioch

Smash Journeyman
hammer bros are generic enemies in the mario world.
they are not unique characters.

no no no no no.
and i believe there is already a topic for this.
use the search button.

SensFan

Smash Cadet
Ferro De Lupe said:
I think what he means is that there shouldn't be characters that aren't one-of-a-kind. Like, they won't have Koopa Troopa, or Goomba, or Ditto, because those are one in a million. Jigglypuff is THE Jigglypuff and Link is THE Link. There is no THE Hammer Bros. It's tough to explain, so I'm not sure if I make myself clear. But I think that's what he meant.

Although, I think they defied this rule with Pichu in SSBM. Though they only did this to get a Pikachu clone.

Who knows?

xianfeng

Smash Hero
SensFan said:
I think what he means is that there shouldn't be characters that aren't one-of-a-kind. Like, they won't have Koopa Troopa, or Goomba, or Ditto, because those are one in a million. Jigglypuff is THE Jigglypuff and Link is THE Link. There is no THE Hammer Bros. It's tough to explain, so I'm not sure if I make myself clear. But I think that's what he meant.

Although, I think they defied this rule with Pichu in SSBM. Though they only did this to get a Pikachu clone.

Who knows?
no there was a the pichu the pichu bros

and there are the hammer bros in the Mario & Luigi series

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
The Hammer Bros are just generic enemies. Not unique characters...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Ippius said:
The Hammer Bros are just generic enemies. Not unique characters...
not really because I think in Super Mario RPG or one of the RPGs there was a pair of hammer bros who had personality. I may have dreamed it so correct me if I'm wrong :p

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ferro De Lupe said:
Nana and Popo, thats their names.

And as for them in Mario RPG, the two Hammer Bros were the first boss you fought, and were basically glorified minions anyway. In Mario & Luigi, however, there were a couple HB that spoke 1337 speak, but they were still normal HB under the Shroob's control.

I am okay with Ridley, Toad, Daisy, and you could even make a compelling case for most any third party character, but putting in minions as playable characters seems like scraping the bottom of the barrel. How desolate is the vast field of video game heroes when the best option would be to include Random Goomba #26? Thats why I came up with my policy, "No name, No smash." Pokemon are pushing it, but you could always make the case that the Pokes we see are based on the ones in the Anime, where individuality is given more freely, and not from the games, where Pokemon are a dime a dozen.

Then again, maybe I'm just talking out my *** here. Minion characters are the only characters I am against, so sue me.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
I think the Hammer Bros aren't that "generic". They have so many things going for them. Hammers, Boomerangs, Fireballs, and their in a shell! They have a whole list of moves they could perform since they have so many different varieties.

What harm can be done thinking if an awesome minion like Hammer Bro could be in SSBB. I mean, exactly what could a character like Toad do? Nothing, thats what!

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
_the_sandman_ said:
I think the Hammer Bros aren't that "generic". They have so many things going for them. Hammers, Boomerangs, Fireballs, and their in a shell! They have a whole list of moves they could perform since they have so many different varieties.

What harm can be done thinking if an awesome minion like Hammer Bro could be in SSBB. I mean, exactly what could a character like Toad do? Nothing, thats what!
Yeah. The Hammer Brother is one of the few still-popular Mario characters that first appeared in Super Mario Bros. Since they got two playable appearances in Mario Superstar Baseball and Super Mario Strikers, maybe they might have a chance at Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
When it comes right down to it, all of the Pokemon are generic, since there are many of each kind. I think the hammer bros would do just fine in Brawl, but I wouldn't want them, because I think they are already overusing the Mario universe.

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
Falling Whistness said:
When it comes right down to it, all of the Pokemon are generic, since there are many of each kind. I think the hammer bros would do just fine in Brawl, but I wouldn't want them, because I think they are already overusing the Mario universe.
Well yeah, you are right. There IS an Imbalance between Characters from the Mario Series and Characters from Other Nintendo Series but I guess that's becuase Mario's the leading Mascot that everyone knows.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Luigi-Mario said:
Well yeah, you are right. There IS an Imbalance between Characters from the Mario Series and Characters from Other Nintendo Series but I guess that's becuase Mario's the leading Mascot that everyone knows.
not really because well in my eyes here is how I veiw it there are 6 strict mario characters (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser & Wario) BUT as both Yoshi and Wario have their own series that leaves only 4 mario characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach & Bowser) meaning that there are just as many Mario characters are there are zelda ones (Link, Young Link, Zelda & Ganondorf)

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
xianfeng said:
not really because well in my eyes here is how I veiw it there are 6 strict mario characters (Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Bowser & Wario) BUT as both Yoshi and Wario have their own series that leaves only 4 mario characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach & Bowser) meaning that there are just as many Mario characters are there are zelda ones (Link, Young Link, Zelda & Ganondorf)
I was thinking of that too, plus there are 4 pokemon (Pikachu, Pichu, Jigglypuff and Mewtwo). Now you know its really believable that another pokemon character will be added. Who knows, maybe Bowser will get his own symbol and the Mario group will lose one.

So why wouldn't Brawl have another Mario character? The Mario series deserves the most characters.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Visor for wii
did you guys forget? or maybe you didn't know. nintendo bought visors from a company called eMagin. you guys should really check this out. here's a link to the site http://www.3dvisor.com/

Ever since the appearance of the Nintendo ON video just prior to E3 2005, there has been much speculation regarding the possibility of a visor or external display device to be used in tandem with the Wii controller. Even though Nintendo purchased a number of visors from a company called eMagin, the connection to Wii has been, for the most part, renounced. However, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata did stated in an October interview with Japanese publication Nikkei Business that the Wii would work with any type of monitor, even digital projectors.

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
JmcShocker16 said:
Visor for wii
did you guys forget? or maybe you didn't know. nintendo bought visors from a company called eMagin. you guys should really check this out. here's a link to the site http://www.3dvisor.com/

Ever since the appearance of the Nintendo ON video just prior to E3 2005, there has been much speculation regarding the possibility of a visor or external display device to be used in tandem with the Wii controller. Even though Nintendo purchased a number of visors from a company called eMagin, the connection to Wii has been, for the most part, renounced. However, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata did stated in an October interview with Japanese publication Nikkei Business that the Wii would work with any type of monitor, even digital projectors.

This Post is OFF-Topic, but I have to ask: Would this be the answer to Split-Screen Multiplayer Games?

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is off topic. Find some place else to discuss that issue.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ferro De Lupe said:

As someone else stated, the IC's have actual names, Popo and Nana.

As for Jigglypuff, there is no "THE Jigglypuff". Much like Raichu, there's only "Jigglypuff" and "Raichu". The only Pokémons is "the" is probably Pikachu because he actually got a game based on himself (Yellow).

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think I've talked about this in past threads, but Pokemon "Main Character-dom" doesn't work like in other games. I think that their "Main character status" is equal to their popularity at the time of the game (Pikachu and Jiggs are only in because of a popularity contest in Japan), Pichu was probably fairly popular because of his relation to the most popular pokemon, and Mewtwo is the "Final Boss" of Pokemon, so you could make a case for him being a villain. Most other Pokemon are basically glorified nameless minion characters if noone acnowledges their popularity.

My personal choice for Pokemon in SB² would be my favorite pokemon, Cubone, but he doesn't have a snowball's chance in a very warm place because of his lack of popularity.

The point is, it looks like the rules for who gets in and who doesn't is different for the pokemon then it is for the other characters. Mario characters probably must have names and backstories before they can get in, but pokemon only need to be the most popular.

JmcShocker16

Smash Apprentice
Luigi-Mario said:
This Post is OFF-Topic, but I have to ask: Would this be the answer to Split-Screen Multiplayer Games?
yes. thats what i was trying to tell other people.

odinm4gick

Smash Apprentice
I just realized that the Hammer Bros are not generic enemy's. The fact they are called Hammer Bros means they are re-occuring characters. They are two koopa troopa brothers that have specialized in hammer combat and are known throughout the land as "The Hammer Brothers"

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
dotdotdot! said:
Then again, maybe I'm just talking out my *** here. Minion characters are the only characters I am against, so sue me.
Quit being a Nancy. Koopa Troopa would kick ***.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
i like the idea a lot! they'd have to be kinda like IC clones, but with more applicable moves. they'd be the king of projectile spamming, chucking those flarking hammers at you in a lazy arc, one after another.

Luigi-Mario

Smash Cadet
DastrnMarco said:
i like the idea a lot! they'd have to be kinda like IC clones, but with more applicable moves. they'd be the king of projectile spamming, chucking those flarking hammers at you in a lazy arc, one after another.
Hmmm... I really can't see the idea of the Hammer Bros. as Ice Climber clones working well.

But it could be a good possibility.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Characters shouldn't be in smash bros. unless they have proper names.
*coughMr.Game&Watchcough*

I didn't remember who the Hammer Brothers were until I looked them up on Wikipedia. I'd actually like to see them as a new Ice Climbers duo..

shroom

Smash Cadet
I know this is a really old topic but I found new info for the possibility of hammer bros.

Mario Party 8 will have hammerbros as a new charecter addition so far that is the only new character know about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Party_8

Alot of people think that nintendo wouldnt put them in because they were just one of the fows like a goomba or something. Well if nintendo thought high enough of them to put them in Mario Party 8 they definitley got a shot at Brawl.

Majora Vaati

Smash Rookie
I support Hammer Bro(s). for Brawl or any future Smash game...the fit in so well and is easier to come up with a moveset than say...Toad...

I personally think that the Koopas can fit in Smash...except for maybe the generic Troopas and Paratroopas...

Top Bottom