• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Pikachu Thread

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
I'm tired of these "official" threads. If a mod didn't make it then it isn't official. You don't have any power to make it official! :p

Anyways, I use Pika as my main in SSBM. Part of the reason is to annoy other people and part is because I enjoy his playstyle. Upsmash FTW.

I've only played SSB64 on a few occasions but I hear that Pika was one of the best characters i nthe game. What changes did he go through from SSB64 to SSBM to make him such a non-tourny worthy character?

In a somewhat related note, what changes would you make to make PIkachu better?

One thing that always bothers me is his horrible, horrible grab range. I understand that he's small and has tiny arms, but he has enough range problems as it is. It's very frustrating when I go in for a grab and completely miss.

Another thing I'd like to see is decreased lag when landing from an uB. While Pika covers a lot of ground horizontally, he's totally screwed if he doesn't have a platform to land on or if you can't sweetspot the edge. Sure, if you land it EXACTLY RIGHT there will be less lag but I don't think you should have to.I hate playing on FD.

So. Post away fellas.

cooler1339

Smash Apprentice
He needs Dr.Dooms MvC2 launcher (Slams ground with electricity).
Maybe he could use a bit of a speed and recovery increase also, isn't pikachu like a fast pokemon?

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Yes Pika did majorly own in SSB64. Changes made between 64 and melee are Back air is a whole new move in melee(and its sucks), grab range is shorter, quick attack has more lag at the end, down smash is different(probably better this time), Nair is different, Uair and Fair behave differently(Fair was much better in 64), his shield sucks *** this time. Pikas Thunder attack in 64 came from the top of the screen, in melee is comes from a cloud. I think thats it.

Changes that need to be made to Pika to make him a good character. Change his b-air back to the one of SSB64. This one move made Pika's edgeguarding great. His bair in melee has horrid lag to it and cannot be used for edgeguarding. Make Pika's shield cover his whole body this time. In melee Pika's shield is almost pointless. Make his Fair act more like it did in SSB64. Increase his grab range a bit. Make the lag at the end of quick attack non existant. Its called quick attack for a reason.

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the post Raptor. What did Pika do for his bair in 64?

Your improvements sound good. If I knew about his fair and bair in 64, I might have suggested all the same exact stuff :p

Brokenskye: I love to use Mewtwo as well and would like to see him improved but this is not the thread to discuss it.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
I always thought Pikachu was a good character. His Smash attacks are ridiculous, his air attacks can get low percent KO's, and hes speedy. I never knew why no one ever uses him. I never use him either. I mean once in a while my friends and I will try out random characters for fun, and we all agree Pikachu is terribly under rated. Pikachu is good, but everyone seems to prefer others over him.

Keep him the same, people will notice him one day.

Myztek

Smash Ace
He is good actually. My friend plays him as his main. That tail spike is so annoying x_x And watch out for the thunder if you get sent real high.

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu is good, but not tournament worthy due to some HORRIBLE matchups... namely Sheik, Marth, and Falco. Probably Samus and Link too.

Any character that can keep Pika at a distance has a major advantage. Pika's approach strategy is fairly limited and his lack of range and mediocre recovery (thanks to the lag on the upb) give him a distinct disadvantage.

The times Pika matches up tourny-wise is when he can spam thunderjolts (or whatever the b move is called) and force opponents to approach him.

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
First of all, it is a trailer. No actual gameplay from the game was used because, well, the game hasn't been made yet.

I wouldn't mind if quick attack was shortened as long as lag is reduced. Pika covers A LOT of ground with his recovery when you combine skull bash with quick attack. I suppose it could stand to be shortened a little.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Alpo said:
Thanks for the post Raptor. What did Pika do for his bair in 64?

Your improvements sound good. If I knew about his fair and bair in 64, I might have suggested all the same exact stuff :p
His Fair was the same thing, but when you hit someone with it they like got stuck in the attack which would basically guarantee you a follow up attack. His bair was a back kick. Kinda like Mario's except only one foot and it was really strong. It was the key to his edguarding game in 64. Out of my list if I could change just one thing it would have to be his bair.

I just recently thought of something else that I think is kinda cool that should be added to pika. Well I've always liked how yoshi had his own special shield. I always thought it would be cool if other characters had their own as long as it made sense. Well for Pika I thought it would be cool for him to be surrounded by electricity when he does his shield and if the enemy touches the shield they get damage as long as they are touching it. Cool? Yes no? lol.

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
I think an electric shield that did damage would be a little too good of an improvement :p

dsk

Smash Cadet
Alpo said:
First of all, it is a trailer. No actual gameplay from the game was used because, well, the game hasn't been made yet.
Nope
The part that MetaKinght arrives, Snake's pressentation, and lot others, I can't name 'em now, are real time battles... with special camera angles, for trailer purpose

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Alpo said:
I think an electric shield that did damage would be a little too good of an improvement :p
lol well it doesn't have to be much. The electricity is just for coolness and it could be like 1% per second they touch it or something. That would be fine and not too much.

Nope
The part that MetaKinght arrives, Snake's pressentation, and lot others, I can't name 'em now, are real time battles... with special camera angles, for trailer purpose
I know what you mean. But so far the code looks EXACTLY the same for all characters. So chances are no changes have even been made yet exccept for the way they look.

Alpo

Smash Apprentice
dsk said:
Nope
So what you're trying to tell me is that they were actually playing the game and then transposed new characters into game footage?

defsithe

Smash Ace
yes it seems like pika's quick attack was shorten a bit. i wouldnt mind this but they should add so u can go in one direction twice like up up . it can be done forward forward but i dont tihnk it can be done in the air and consistenly.

F1reburN

Smash Cadet
Pika's backair and forward smash and teleport-thingy all seemed better in SB64. Pika was my main, he was good in 1v1 and 4 player free for all.

defsithe

Smash Ace
F1reburN said:
Pika's backair and forward smash and teleport-thingy all seemed better in SB64. Pika was my main, he was good in 1v1 and 4 player free for all.
from what i rember pika's "teleport-thingy" or quick attack had a bit of lag at the begining during the little briiing sound then chink chink. and his f-smash i quite powerful in this game IMO with lots of knock back. but i agree with b-air in this games it suks. and in melee pika does best in doubles and FFA's he never dies and he can attack everyone basically.

( hehehe i feel stupid using noises for things i dont no how to explain)

Yellow Mage

Smash Journeyman
To bump an ancient thred, what does everybody think of that attack Pikachu does in the Nintendo World trialer, between 1:38 and 1:40?

Zabutur

Smash Apprentice
yes it seems like pika's quick attack was shorten a bit. i wouldnt mind this but they should add so u can go in one direction twice like up up . it can be done forward forward but i dont tihnk it can be done in the air and consistenly.
up-up wiht quick attack is possible. I've done it before.
upsmash FTW.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Pikachu should get Pichu's best advantages: more speed, and an absolutely insane up smash and forward smash. Maybe he should inherit Pichu's goggles too. >_>;

And on an incredibly minor note, since Sakurai called Pikachu an "it", I hope that he has an alternate model of a female Pikachu with her "heart" tail. I use a female Pikachu on my team and it'd be cool if there was a way to represent her. XD

Magic

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu's Final Smash seems to be more focused on doing damage rather than knockback. If you go slow and try to overlap the ball with the character, you get INSANE damage. It's just crazy how much damage it does if you can keep on them.

BrimconSako

Smash Rookie
I just wonder how much they changed Pikachu, if at all. Maybe someone from E For All will post something about him? Unless I need to do some searching.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I thought Pikachu looked top tier-ish when that first E-4-all vid came out. You know, the one for 06.

I don't know why everyone's avoiding him? It is kinda weird o_O
oh well, guess those people at E4A getting a head start won't have that much a head start once they realize Pika is the new Marth with shine :ohwell:
MUHAHAHA jk
seriously though...

Tagxy

Smash Lord
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NoF97-3C-Rc
Someone analyze this, quickly!

My analysis which is probably very wrong
So from what I can tell with pikachu, his down b and forward b seem to have less lag after their attacks. The forward b seems slightly less terrible for that reason and because from the looks of it it goes farther and actually curves with the stage rather than stop once it hits the curve, but it might be too much to hope for that this isnt still a bad move. Otherwise he looks exactly the same, he looks to be fairly speedy in comparison to meta-night also. I wonder where he'll rank in character speeds. Maybe if c-falcon is gone and fox is nerfed, he'll be second quickest after sonic, tied with meta? Probably a high ambition, but I never did understand why a freaking electric pokemon wasnt faster than fox and marth.
I didnt see him do any smash moves. His quick attack also looks the same distance, with just as much lag.

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
Has anyone seen the pikachu vs metaknight video? Pikachus down B has less lag time.
And Pikachu seems really good.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Also, it seems like pikachu's thunder cloud is either non-existant (doubtful) or much longer. However the set up time between the 'pika' and the actual attack seem the same.

Top Bottom