• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pivot/DA Dash

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Also known as DA Dashing, since phillybilly from DA discovered it. I personally like to call it pivoting, because...well, that's what you're doing.

I bring this up in topics a lot, and since I keep getting questions about what it is, I decided to make a thread explaining it. It's also a place to discuss potential uses or whatever.

Ok, so, the explanation:

When you dash, you can cancel your movement three ways; shielding, crouching, and jumping. However, there's something called an initial dash (ID), which is an animation that's different from the rest of the dash. Tap forward with any character and let go- that little distance they moved is part of the ID. It's the animation you're doing when you dash dance. During an ID, you can't crouch to cancel the movement, which would (until pivoting was discovered) mean you couldn't fsmash, dsmash, ftilt, dtilt, or uptilt from an ID.

Pivoting is basically this: it's turning your character around, similar to dash dancing, but instead of dashing the other way, you just stop and stand still. From this standstill, you can do anything. Now, this doesn't mean you have to dash one way, turn around, wait, and then do a smash or tilt. No, quite the opposite.

See, when you're in the turn-around animation, there is one frame in which your character is standing up. This is the frame in which you can do the attack you want. Smashes are easy, because you can just C-Stick. Tilts are harder, since you need to be quick and gentle at the same time with the stick. If you do it right though, what should happen is it looks like you're running away from your opponent, and all of a sudden, an attack comes out of no where.

How to do the Pivot/DA Dash

It's really simple, but requires some finger skill. Dash in one direction, and then flick the control stick fast but gently in the other direction so that it resets to neutral. If you did it right, your character should be in the standing in the opposite direction. Keep practicing that, moving on to basic attacks like neutral A's and then C-Stick Smashes. Eventually, forward tilts and chargeable forward smashes should come. For ftilts you actually don't want to let go of the stick, you want to keep it pointed in the direction you're attacking. You just need to time pressing A right.

That's the point I'm at now. The timing for ftilts is hard to explain. Best I can tell you is that the instant you move the stick the other direction, press A. If you do a dash attack in the direction you were originally running, you're probably closer to doing it than if you accidentally dash attack in the opposite direction. And don't ask me how the **** to do uptilts/down tilts. I'm working my butt off trying to find out if it's possible, because theoretically, it is.

Sorry for the lousy explanation, but I can't seem to find the right words. Maybe usea can help me out since he is lord of the frames.

Uses!

Ok, the most important part, this technique's potential usefulness. A lot of people I've talked to have told me it's unnecessary, and cumbersome. Too hard to be worth it. Maybe that's true, but I still feel there's potential in this. Especially for, oh lord no, Marth.

Basic use I see is for spacing. Usually to counter aerials, people wavedash back. Problem is, a wavedash is a little slow, and can sometimes send you too far back. A pivot would allow you to have more precise control over where you attack from, since you have the whole range of the ID to choose from. This is especially great for getting tippers as Marth, since his ID is so long.

We all know the basic combo in Marth dittos of fthrow, grab, fthrow, smash. Well, with a DA dash, you can follow the opponent's DI just enough, and then tip them. Or say you're Mario, and you're guarding someone who's hanging on the ledge. You can fake out by running back and forth, and then ftilt when they start rolling up. If the ftilt misses, you can follow up quickly since the move doesn't have a lot of lag. Plus not many people expect to be KO'd out of a dash dance.

==

Whatever, I just felt like posting about this thing. Probably one of those tl;dr posts, but a lot of noobs had been asking about it so meh. It's a hard *** technique, and I'm practicing my balls off to master it.

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
tl;sm

But seriously, this technique seems like it'd be so useful for Marth, it's absurd that nobody uses it. You can run back a little and smash much more quickly than you could wavedash into a smash. It'd also be good if you want to space yourself just a little bit further away for a tipper.

Well written post about a technique that deserves more credit.

Rune

Smash Lord
Your really able to Fsmash people who DI out of forward throws with this? (With Marth)

If so you've got my attention on this.. let's see if I can get this down before TG ;)

Powda193

Smash Journeyman
couple things i was wondering about:

1) what is TG? im guessing a tourny, so when and where?
2) if i dont use the Cstick, will i be able to do a fsmash out of this dash cancel? if not, tilts are still cool

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Rune: It worked when I tested it against Peach and Samus. But they're floatier, so that may affect it. I would imagine though, that it would work against Mario, Luigi, Doc, Marth, and possibly Sheik.

Powda: TG is a huge *** tourney in San Jose, usually considered the Cradle of Tournament Civilization. TG is the mecca of tournaments, and this is the last one, so everyone's going all out for it, and everyone is trying to make it.

And yeah, you can do a charge fsmash.

Suretman

Smash Journeyman
Samurai, when you said tested, did you mean against comps in training mode or level 1 comps in vs or people?

Problem is, a wavedash is a little slow, and can sometimes send you too far back.

It is slighter slower, but about it sending you too far back thats only because your not spacing the wd correctly. You don't have to go the maxiumum distance you can go a very short distance if you want to which I assume you know how to do.

Rune

Smash Lord
Ok, I just tried this out with Marth and it's scary to see it work.. one sec your just dashdancing around minding your own and the next your opponent is suddenly eating forward smash.

But I must say.. this is **** hard.
I mean, I can consistantly WD out of reflectors from shffled sexkicks with Fox and such quite easily.. but this o_o"

It's a lot like shorthopping though, only this time you need to be precise aswell because you're only allowed to press the control-stick back to neutral position yet still need to do it at supersonic speed like Fox shorthops.

It's impossible.. thus I should have it down in a week or two ;)

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
Suret: I tested it against Lvl 1 and 9 comps. Essentially it was this: I would get them to the point where forward throw + fsmash wouldn't work, but forward throw to pivoted fsmash would. I then confirmed it against my friend. I'm very confident it works.

And even if you don't go the whole distance, a wavedash doesn't give you control this precise.

Don Muffin

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny...

For once, there's actually a topic concerning something worthwhile, and it withers up and dies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I find it funny...how unuseful this is.

Okay I'm joking, I actually think there are quite a few possabilities with Peach in this. Cause Peach happenz to have a pretty good dash and its easy to contol(hence aimin the distance to pivot and then attack). I also thinx they may be useful for Samus, unuseful for luigi, mabye usefull for sheik (cause its easy to tell when she needs ta attack).

Ehh, I needs to see vids where its done and it is the differance in the game. WD easily makes a diff in many cases, so if this does the same im a go for learnin it and makin it part o my game.

Ancient Chozo

Smash Rookie
You'd think this wouldn't work with Fox, because of his longer ID. It seems like a worthwhile thing to practice, though. It sounds especially useful with Samus, because of her dtilt. One question though: is this useful for extended grab characters?

PXTalon2000

Smash Ace
I'm convinced that Bowser almost needs this. Pulling out fsmash, ftilt and dsmash from a dashdance alone present some good opportunities. What's probably even better is it allows you to pull a bair out more quickly and closer to the opponent.

I'm gonna' have to get more consistent with this. It's easy to just do it once.. but pulling it out in the middle of a dashdance is just a bit harder. Heck, why not get this down cold? Not like there's other technical stuff we've got to learn. Might end up replacing a few uses of some characters' WDs (probably just the ones with good IDs, though, but heck, might as well get it down for everyone).

Oh and about that throw thing... You can use the C-stick to throw so you don't have to return the joystick to neutral and time it. Should make it easier, right?

That throw combo may not be the only new anti-DI combo this presents.

stilettotrap

Smash Ace
It's a lot easier if you do it as though you're foxtrotting rather than dashdancing. Tap one direction, and tap the other direction + A to smash. I've gotten it to work pretty consistently...

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by stilettotrap
It's a lot easier if you do it as though you're foxtrotting rather than dashdancing. Tap one direction, and tap the other direction + A to smash. I've gotten it to work pretty consistently...
Wouldn't you have to complete the full ID for that? Or am I mistaken? (again)

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
Discovery?

I'm not sure if anyone has ever brought this up or thought about it, but Yoshi and Peach can double jump out of their dash dance into down smashes, forward smashes etc. and it can also be done at any time during the dance rather than having to time the DA dash. aka DJ dash

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
you guys are really confusing me with all this shorthand wd, hf njch bgjiethibseui, see!!! id rather be kickin butt in ssbm than tryin to learn all this jargin ya'll r sayin.

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
Wow sounds cool/fun. Since im no good at WD but i can Dashdance this might come in handy w/Ness and the bat.

Marthmaster its not hard at all to know what they are saying.X-tilt is a forward/down/back/up tilt w/ the first letter of each word in the X slot.

WD- Wavedash
SH- Shorthop
LC-L cancel

Its not really that hard to understand. I find some other lingo thats wierder like AFK.

DeathTiers

Smash Cadet
This move is very useful with Marth, although it's not that useful with Sheik, Samus, or Peach. It's not really a big factor in the game.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
useful with marth and against noobs, but really good if you suck at chainthrowing when opponent di's

Banks

Smash Hero
you do realize this thread is three years old...

but pivoting is useful against people other than noobs

Top Bottom