• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ontario SSB64 POWER RANKINGS! [September 2014]

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
On behalf of Ontario's brand-new budding SSB64 console community, I am proud to announce the official

ONTARIO SSB64
==POWER RANKINGS==

~~featuring pidgezero_one's obnoxious thread layouts~~

As many of you are well aware, Ontario had quite the dry spell for SSB64 tournaments during a time when Melee, Brawl, and Project M were all enjoying active and thriving scenes with dedicated monthlies. SSB64 had not seen many tournaments since Tin Man occasionally ran it as a side event to Brawl a few years back and featured it at our two majors in IMPULSE 2012 and IMPULSE 2013.

Starting in April of 2014, a resurgence of SSB64 interest came into the limelight, with a few community members deciding to take initiative and bring SSB64 into the spotlight with its brothers. JMF pidgezero_one's I Got 64 Problems But A Flaoc Ain't One series, EMG Toronto Joe's Honorable Roll series (and his involvement in the Nintendo Fans Unite series), and Revan's hosting of Echo 2014 all occurring within such a short time frame have sparked an unprecedented revolution in the Ontario SSB64 community.

Things are looking good for the OG Smash game in Ontario. Our community, our players, are improving at an alarmingly fast pace. New friendships and rivalries have been forged, passion for the game is being re-discovered, and an interest in SSB64 is beginning to take North America by storm. Our community is strong and solid enough that a release of an official Power Rankings seems to be warranted, Ontario is a trailblazing scene where our major threats from our first season of tournaments are distinct enough to show off to the world. Be proud, be motivated, all of you! Even if you didn't make it this time, go for that #1 spot next season - our community is here to stay!

Construction of the PR

The Power Rankings were constructed first based on ELO ratings using the Garner Gaggle ELORater. Rankings were then adjusted based on activity and consideration of special circumstances of the individual players in question based on discussion between JMF pidgezero_one, Preston, Sextc iXi, [OSAP] Astro, and YBOMBB. Tournaments with greater attendance and stronger player presence were given more weight, although all tournaments this season with verifiable results were considered in collecting win/loss data. Players must have attended at least 2 tournaments marked as "Major" to qualify for rankings.

The following nine (!!!) tournaments were considered in creation of this PR, with respect to players' overall placements and individual wins and losses:

Without further ado, I present the
TOP 10 SSB64 PLAYERS IN ONTARIO!

(Open the spoilers to see explanations of placements.)

#1 YBOMBB
Toronto - :jigglypuff64:
Has placed 1st at every major tournament, except for Flaoc 4. His only 3 set losses have been to Revan (IMPULSE 2013 & Flaoc 4). (Fun fact: Has also won every teams tournament)

#2 Revan
Ottawa - :kirby64:
Despite having a 1-3 losing record to Snorlax (Flaoc 2 & 3) and 1 loss to B Link (IMPULSE 2013), being the only player to take sets (IMPULSE 2013 & Flaoc 4) off of YBOMBB puts him in 2nd.

#3 Snorlax
Toronto - :kirby64:
Boasts a 3-1 win record vs Revan (Flaoc 2 & 3), being the only player besides YBOMBB and B Link to take a set from Revan. However, he suffers from 1 loss to Sextc (Flaoc 2) and 1 loss to B Link (Flaoc 1).

#4 B Link
Toronto - :pikachu64:
While he has 1 loss to Sextc (Flaoc 2) and 2 losses to Revan (IMPULSE 2013, Flaoc 2), he places very high on average and is the only player besides YBOMBB and Snorlax to have a victory over Revan this season (IMPULSE 2013). Both B Link and Sextc have 1 win over Snorlax (Flaoc 1 and 2, respectively), but B Link's win over Revan puts him 1 spot above Sextc.

#5 Sextc iXi
Ottawa - :fox64:
Consistently places high, boasts 1 victory over Snorlax (Flaoc 2) and 1 victory over B Link (Flaoc 2). His only losses this season have been to YBOMBB and Revan (IMPULSE 2013, Flaoc 2, Flaoc 4).

#6 Unreal
Toronto - :fox64:
Consistently places high but has no wins against the top 5. But, he has no losses outside the top 5 other than one set to *** VWLS (IMPULSE 2013). Has a 1-0 record versus TO Joe (IMPULSE 2013) and a 2-0 record with Sax (Flaoc 2 / 3).

#7 *** VWLS
York Region - :falcon64:
Like Unreal, *** VWLS has no wins versus the top 5, but has a 2-1 record with EMG Toronto Joe (NFU2) and a 1-0 record with Sax (NFU2). Although he has 1 win over Unreal (IMPULSE 2013), his loss to ScottishTubist at Flaoc 2 (whom Unreal defeated) puts him below Unreal.

#8 EMG Toronto Joe
York Region - :fox64:
While Joe has a 2-3 losing record to NessKhalifa, his impressive set wins over Sax and *** VWLS (NFU2) put him in #8.

#9 Sax
Toronto - :kirby64:
Places high, but has no wins this season over anyone in the top 8. Suffers from 1 loss to Astro (HR1), but a win over BL!TZ (Flaoc 4) and more consistent attendance puts him above BL!TZ.

#10 BL!TZ
Ottawa - :fox64:
Places high, but has no wins versus anyone in the top 8. However, like Sax, he has no losses to anyone outside of the top 8.

Honorary Mentions
(in no particular order, other than alphabetical)​

Dave :luigi64: - Placed 9th at Flaoc 2 and 5th at Flaoc 3, at both tournaments only losing to players in the top 10.

Degenerate :pikachu64: - Swept through amateurs bracket at Flaoc 2, only taking 2nd due to leaving the venue early. Has since placed 13th and 7th at Flaoc 3 and 4, respectively. He performed well against Sax at NFU2, taking 4th, and has a 1-1 record with Dave (Flaoc 2 & 4). Generally only loses to the top 10.

Deryk Yim :jigglypuff64: - Has a winning 1-0 record vs NessKhalifa (HR1), and a noteworthy win versus Leon (4th place at Flaoc 1) at HR2. Took an impressive 5th place at Flaoc 4.

NessKhalifa :ness64::pikachu64: - Currently the only HM to boast set wins against a PR member, NessKhalifa has a 3-2 winning record versus EMG Toronto Joe (HR2, Flaoc 3) and generally places well in the face of poorly seeded pools. He is improving drastically with every tournament.

The Bawse :kirby64: - Placed 7th at both IMPULSE 2013 and Flaoc 2, taking a set each from NessKhalifa and Deryk Yim (respectively).

Congratulations to our top 10... no, top 15 contenders!

Things are starting to get a little crazy around here, there was a lot of deliberation over the the final rankings for everyone, as not only do so many of us go back and forth, but we have a lot of rising stars to look out for too!

What will the standings look like next month? I have a good feeling about Mega, fellowAquarian, and Mike D if they attend more often, to name a few... Astro, V115, and Mohinder are working their way up as well. But they're not the only ones - everyone is getting so much better. Will you be next?​

I Rely On Gimmicks

Smash Rookie
Woo revan! I never realised how crazy ssb64 was until I played him, his Kirby is amazing and he has a really good pocket Yoshi. Wonder if he'll take #1 someday.

Studstill

Smash Ace
Please rename this thread accurately: Fun Fact About Ybombb! (and some other stuff)

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
awesome post its pretty entertaining to follow the scene you guys are building up there. i suspect a lot of strong players will be developed due to this scene. I hope a bunch of these guys show up to apex 2015 so i can meet/play everyone!

Glair

Smash Rookie
A few issues with the list for sure.

So this PR is created by YBOMBB, Pidge, Astro, Preston, and Sextc.

Would be interesting to see a Revan based one. Bet it would look quite a bit different.

Last edited:

YBOMBB

Smash Rookie
Good Job with the PR list,Unreal is a bit too high, but everything else looks accurate

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
A few issues with the list for sure.

So this PR is created by YBOMBB, Pidge, Astro, Preston, and Sextc.

Would be interesting to see a Revan based one. Bet it would look quite a bit different.
it's based off of win/loss data and ELO rankings, so unless you guys have been attending different tournaments itd probably be the same

Last edited:

Glair

Smash Rookie
For starters I'll ask - what is this PR trying to measure? Yours seems to measure past performance in Toronto tournaments, a very sketchy criteria for a supposed 'Ontario' power ranking. Most sports power rankings seek to predict current strength and would heavily reward and punish recent results. Flaoc 2 was by far the strongest tournament in your series, and might have been a better list than your actual PR (also, Flaoc 1 a 'major' ??).

Let's not pretend this Toronto (not Ontario) PR is completely objective. There is the obvious advantage of Toronto players never having to travel. Also, Apex and Zenith aren't included (you also ignore even Montreal tournaments like STYC and Polybash) yet curiously the ancient Impulse June 2013 is there. This sticks out like a sore thumb and Impulse is mentioned 9 times in your spoilers!? I'll skip giving examples of massive TO bias in your spoilers as to avoid seeming to bash players when I am bashing your ranking of them.

Want some advise? Rename your PR to Toronto Power Rankings like it should be. Include or exclude players from other cities who participate in your tournaments as you choose. Do you really know what's happening in Windsor? London? Thunder Bay? Open up a map and notice Toronto isn't Ontario any more than it's Canada. Don't speak for the rest of us.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I know what you're trying to elicit with that first statement and I'm not taking the bait, the main purpose of this PR is to motivate players to make it onto the PR and give recognition to the biggest and most consistent threats who work hard to place high. I could have just as easily not numbered it like we did with the HMs but where would be the fun in that? It's measuring who the biggest threats are likely to be, if you attend a tournament in ontario. Not including apex/polybash/zenith wasn't a conscious decision so much as it was staying within the province

Toronto players don't have to travel because I'm one of the only people actually hosting this game, much as I'd like to quit sometimes. If people start hosting in other cities more often enough that Toronto doesn't have to be where people have to go to to even enter tournaments, then we'd end up with a situation like the Brawl community had back in 2011 where Quebec players were not included. I'd honestly love that, because I want to see this game getting more representation everywhere, but that's not what we have right now and excluding players from outside of Toronto would have been dishonest since they're making the effort to actually show up.

Windsor people cross the border to play in Michigan, which I haven't seen hosting 64 since 2012. London plays Melee and PM. Thunder Bay, if it has a smash community, is off the radar - northern Ontario is focused around Sudbury and North Bay, who travel to each other's events and mostly play Melee and Brawl. I maintain an Ontario event calendar for all smash games which I populate by following smashboards and facebook groups very closely, which consists of roughly 2,000 people many of which share events from where they live, exactly for people who CAN'T travel and want to find something local. So far Toronto and Ottawa are the only cities running this game.

Glair

Smash Rookie
I'm not going to respond more, except to say that when one region starts a PR for a larger region, trouble is sure to follow.

Last edited:

Sanu

Smash Champion
This was such an awesome read!! Stef, you've done so much for the 64 community in so little time... Everyone has you to thank for planting the seed, and nurturing it into adolescence. You're awesome <3

And congrats to bomb for his 1st place ranking. The pressure is on now !! Hope you can handle it =p

I am sooo taking a spot next update ;3 watch out people!

Last edited:

Glair

Smash Rookie
Hope this doesn't turn into a one shot PR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom