• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

February 8th, 2014 - Y-Town Throwdown I - Melee/PM - Feat. Mango, S0ft, Abate - Youngstown, OH

What should the side event for Y-Town Throwdown I be?

• Crew Battles (any size)

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Low-Tier Tournament

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Project M (would need setups)

Votes: 30 51.7%

• Total voters

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic

Logo courtesy of CoffeeMug

YSU Smash and VEGA present...
Y-Town Throwdown I
Youngstown's First Ever Big Melee Event!

Facebook Event Page
Streamed by Smash Studios

http://twitch.tv/smashstudios
Background
In the past, the fighting game community has been very active in the Midwest, with many big tournaments happening year round. However, one certain area has been vastly underrepresented in the Melee scene... and that's Youngstown, Ohio! A couple of big area Smash players and the on campus video game club VEGA have teamed up to throw the biggest Smash party in the history of Youngstown, Y-Town Throwdown! The hosts of this event have had experience with running events in the past, and want this event to be huge! With a venue with a capacity of 200+ and in-building food options, this event is going to be one of the biggest Smash tourneys in Ohio!

Pre-registration is here!

PM registration is here!
NOTE: IF YOU PLAN TO ENTER PM, YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER. THE EVENT IS PLANNED TO BE CAPPED AT 32 ENTRANTS.

NOTE: WE HAVE REACHED THE 32 PLAYER CAP. HOWEVER, IF YOU STILL SIGN UP, AND SOMEONE ON THIS LIST DOES NOT SHOW, WE WILL PUT THE NEXT PERSON IN LINE IN THE BRACKET BASED ON WHO SIGNED UP THE EARLIEST.

PM SIGNEES:
PM Player List
Get Low
OreoKirby
rsolanki
Duda
MissRarity
Sweet
Z-axis
Nerf Herder
Gelton
4%
Finnz7
Drephen
Zero
DLX
Navi
BluntedMask
Jesiah
Asylum
NightroGlycerine
DerfMW
VanZ
Vidjo
Pikamaster12
Mark Michaels
Prince Abu
1der
ShroudedOne
Ant Man
Vert Gasai
Mundo
Cigarette Sheik
TimeSmash

Venue
Chestnut Room, Kilcawley Center, Youngstown State University
1 University Plaza
Youngstown, OH

Link to the room, with tour and dimensions.

NOTE: The pictures shown in the tour will not be the layout for the event. The layout will be changed to reflect a gaming setting (multiple long tables, projector, circular tables for relaxing).

A large room with a capacity of 200+. Large space, with room for large numbers of setups. All of Top 8 onwards will be played on stream at http://twitch.tv/smashstudios
Other matches, including Project M, will be streamed at http://twitch.tv/codeflow

NOTE: Kilcawley Staff may move us to a different room before the event, however the event will still happen in Kilcawley Center.

VENUE RULES:
No outside food or drink allowed in the venue.
The TO reserves the right to eject you from the venue for breaking any rules listed.

IMPORTANT FOR THOSE COMING JUST FOR PM:

If you are bringing a PM setup, you will still get your venue fee waived, however it would help us a ton if you were to bring a Melee disc with you for Melee Singles Pools. The organizers are trying to run pools as quickly as possible due to time constraints, and every setup helps.

Tentative Schedule
10 AM - Doors open
11:30 AM - Melee Doubles Registration closes
12:00 PM - Melee Doubles Bracket begins
2:00 PM - Melee Singles Registration closes
2:30 PM - Melee Singles Pools begins
6:00 PMish - Project M begins
10:00 PM - Venue closes

Food
Kilcawley Center has a Wendy's in the building on the first floor, and there are the following within walking distance of the venue:

McDonald's
Taco Bell
Jimmy John's
Subway

Fees
Venue Fee: $5 (waived with full setup (TV, Gamecube/Wii, Memory Card))

All YSU students get in free with a YSU ID!

Melee singles fee: $10

Melee doubles fee: $20 ($10 per player)

Project M singles fee: $5

All fees are subject to change as we get closer to the event.

Payouts

All payouts subject to change based on attendance.
Melee Singles/Doubles:
(30 entrants or less)
1st: 70%
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%
(31-49 entrants)

1st: 50%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 15%
4th: 10%
(50+ entrants)
1st: 45%
5th: 2.5%
5th: 2.5%

Project M singles:
1st: 50%

Rules

Melee Tournaments will abide by the Apex 2014 Official Ruleset.
Project M Tournament will abide by the
Apex 2014 Official Ruleset.

Doubles tournament and PM tournament will be double elimination bracket only, no pools.
Singles tournament will begin with pools, then a double elimination bracket.

Wobbling is legal at this event.

Pool Tiebreak Rules:
If set wins are tied between two people, the winner of the head-to-head matchup advances/gets higher seed.

If set wins are tied between three people, and it's an A > B > C > A finish, then whoever has the better game record advances (wins-losses). If two people's game records are tied, then the head-to-head matchup determines who advances.

If set and game wins are tied between three people, then a 1 stock 2 minute overtime will be played between each of the three players. Best of one. This continues until the tie is broken (one player wins twice)

Last edited:

Life

Smash Hero
I've got a rehearsal that day, which is a shame because I figured YT would be the first place I'd go to out of my immediate area to Smash, but eh.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Tourney at YSU? Oh hey, I go to school there.
It would be embarrassing if any MSU kids came down to this, because our campus is so much smaller and crappier than theirs.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
After some talk with some people who are helping me out, and suggestions from you guys on the boards, we're going to raise entry fees to $10 for singles.When I originally thought of this event, my main intention was to just bring in NEOH/PGH people(I considered those two regions, but now I've been told otherwise), but now that it seems we're getting some real interest, I'll raise it. I mean, the room can hold around 200 people, so why not try make it a real regional? It'll be fun!

(Note: Also, this is personally my first tournament as a TO. However, I'm working with many people who have ran a number them in the past who helped me with this decision. Don't worry; I have guidance! :p)

Also, I kinda want to run a quasi-poll here; what's your preferred doubles price? It was originally $5 a player, and I'm considering changing it, but I think input towards this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Get Low

Smash Ace
I think the raise to $10 was a good idea if this does become a regional,
but if toward the time of the tournament this only ends up attracting the locals,
you should drop it back back down $5.

Or another option would be to quit listening to me and do as you please.

/Jwnz\

Smash Cadet
YSU also has a pretty legit rock wall, pool, and recreation center if you need to let off some steam after being knocked out of bracket.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
@Rizner, there probably won't be any tournaments for those, but if you bring a setup some people would inevitably play it.

Get Low

Smash Ace
Ben, make Wobbling legal.
People who don't think Wobbling should be legal are like people who don't believe that gay marriage should be legal.
The theory is just outdated.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
Wobbling is legal. I firmly believe it's part of the game and there are no problems with it. #FreeIceClimbers

..well there are problems with it but not enough for me to make it illegal.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Freky is a good man. People who complain about wobbling are like those who complain about brawl that say MK should be banned.

#Real #FreeIceClimbers #Wobbles

Get Low

Smash Ace
Freky is a good man. People who complain about wobbling are like those who complain about brawl that say MK should be banned.

#Real #FreeIceClimbers #Wobbles
Soulpecker, convert to Melee and come to this.
You owe me after not coming to my Brawl tournament a year ago, looooool.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
So, I'm considering running an Amateur bracket for those who finish in the bottom of pools. We're going to have a number of YSU people heading down to play, so I'm considering starting up a second bracket for the lower people. However, I'm trying to think about payouts for that bracket... there might just be a first place prize and that's it. Suggestions?

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
More updates: Due to the amount of entry fees we currently have signed up/said they will come, I have enough money to raise the pot bonus to $100! And as more people sign up, I'll probably be able to raise it even higher, so tell your friends!

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
70-20-10, with $100 pot bonus which will be spread equally between the 70-20-10 payout(Basically adding $100 to the entry fees). The bonus will come partially out of my own pocket and from part of the venue fees. Therefore, the more venue fees that are given, the more money can be put in the pot bonus. Not all of the money from venue fees are being put into the pot bonus, some of the money will stay with YSU Smash and VEGA to help run future tournaments. We're looking to get even better venues with even cooler stuff for the future, so we'd keep the money to help pay for it.

Though actual percent payouts could change depending on how many people come. (Could be 4 people getting paid, etc)

Jesus+1

Strawhat Pirate
3DS FC
0705-3756-2752
Hey dudes! :D Haven't played in a tournament since '05, but still play smash almost every day. Found this tournament, and it's only 5 minutes from my best friend's house. Definitely gonna be there and I'm planning on bring 1 full set-up (still gotta see about a CRT), but can't wait to meet all of you, I'm sure it's gonna be a lot of fun.
P.S. Gotta get those wobbles down considering it's legal ;)

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
By the way, if anybody has a problem with some of your venue fee possibly going towards pot bonuses, let me know, and I'll keep your money separate.

Remember as well that venue fees can be waived by bringing in setups.

Freky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frekydelic
OP updated with more info on parking, venue, and various other things.

By the way, if you guys prefer Facebook events, we got you covered.

I'm keeping that page up to date with the latest developments and such.

Jesus+1

Strawhat Pirate
3DS FC
0705-3756-2752
My friend is gonna come with me and we're gonna enter doubles

He doesn't even know what Wavedashing, L-canceling, DI, or pretty much any tech skill is. (probably not even short hop)

Gonna train him like Ken trained Isai.

P.S. got like 3 other friends that are all planning on going, and maybe my brother and whoever he brings,
Let's make it a regional. :yeahboi:

Top Bottom