• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #12: Marth

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The Prince of Altea, speculated to dominate the metagame should Meta Knight disappear...

Marth

Ratio: 60:40 Marth
Synopsis:

Coming soon?

Here's my tidbit:

Okay, with Marth, you have to play defensive, just as you would Meta Knight. If you approach, you're vulnerable to pain of all sorts as he is by far one of the best defensively characters in the game, theoretically surpassing Snake in this regard.

Arrows are distractions, but a good Marth will have absolutely no problem with them. They will simply powershield them in his attempt to drive through your projectile wall, and then get you at close-mid range and close range, where he will try to **** and destroy you.

Instead, bombs with boomerang (especially angled down to reflect back by the stage) is strongly recommended. The boomerang can be destroyed by his sword, but that makes it so you can use it again immediately. By angling it down, you force him to either hit the boomerang early, shield it, or just past it and approach, only to worry of it later. Options 1 and 2 allow you to get the boomerang back and is mostly resetting the situation. Option 3 is unfavorable for any character, but may occasionally be taken.

Bombs should be set up in a way that limits Marth's options. Throwing a bomb up to delay its fall, and then keeping one in hand to throw toward him works well as a projectile wall with arrow cancels from shorthopped bomb throws being distractions. So from a shorthop, you can throw a bomb toward him, or above as a delay, and then go into a boomerang, or a lag canceled arrow. Personally, two bombs high up, one perhaps thrown with a medium strength (tilt + A), and another strong (C-stick/Smash) can lead to variations in their fall speed, along with the boomerang and a few lagless arrows, creates one of the better projectile walls Toon Link can conjure up.

This will force Marth to approach, but also have a difficult time approaching. These set-ups work brilliantly on stages with decent running room, such as Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium, as good Marths will indeed run through your projectile wall, and force you to reset it, and you'll need all the room you can get.

IF you get cornered to the edge, you're in trouble. Marth has frame traps and lightning quick moves. His Dtilt can force a reaction, and 4/5 times, he can punish that reaction due to the IASA frames of Dtilt (our Dtilt isn't long-ranged enough to be that cool guys, =/). His Dancing Blade beats your jab combo, which is your fastest move on the ground. If you're cornered, get out. Double jump with a bomb in hand and force some room to get back into the middle of the stage, and try to make him the one near the edges. It is absolutely necessary to control the middle of the stage, as that's all the control you will get.

If you need to fan him away and cannot get a projectile in, you can do an autocanceled Zair.

You can try to make a fake approach, then DI back into a retreating Zair, or just jump back and Zair. It lingers and can throw off a Marth that gets too aggressive.

Now as for how you can kill him, you'll need him to be hit by a bomb or boomerang and then set-up to a kill move (Usmash/Fair for instance) or use a move like Nair to edgeguard him. His recovery is linear, and can be easily gimped if you're patient. Use arrows to slow down his aerial speed toward the ledge, not bombs or boomerang since he can force a DI closer to the stage that way if he's smart. From there, stand close to the edge and ready for a speed hug (run off ledge, fastfall + DI into ledge). If you need to regain invincibility frames, limit it to 1, and only use it near the end of the initial ones. Dolphin Slash comes out fast, and even the weak area that barely phases you can stagespike you cold.

As for juggling, he's floaty, and therefore Utilt traps end very early. Bair can rack up damage. But if you're at a high percent do not attempt, as he will Dolphin Slash it and you will probably die. If both of you are at low percents, he will likely take it since the knockback of DS won't stun you enough to benefit him.

Killing Marth up top is easiest though, it just needs some traps and wits. At higher percents (past 100), you can very well start to kill him off. Utilt or Usmash, if they don't outright kill him, can set up to a baiting trap.

What you do here is force an AIRDODGE. Marth is weak below him since his Dair sucks. Use bombs thrown up, or a boomerang from a jump angled upward to force an airdodge, or maybe even a Bair (yes, it hits on the top a bit, don't do it near him since he can Counter you that way; Counter won't reach his bottom though). You can also try to do Zair -> grab, but that won't work if you used Zair's optimal distance. You'll have to get into him closer with Zair, and that can be risky (the follow-up might not even be guaranteed that way either). From there, you can do Dthrow, or Uthrow. Uthrow offers more vertical distance so the trap has a high success rate, but Dthrow sends them lower, so if they mess up and airdodge the throw, you can end the trap there with Uair as the airdodge ends, forcing a relatively early stock off of them.

However, you usually have to follow the airdodge, and do Uair. A weak Uair is the lingering hitbox, and kills later. If you can force an airdodge and activate Uair around the moment where the airdodge ends, you'll get the strong WTF broken one that kills him around 80-90% assuming the move is undiminished and it was set-off by a baiting trap.

If you didn't already know, Zair outranges all of Marth's aerials, but your other aerials don't compare, where his can kill safely. So let's go with what you shouldn't do:

- Up+B offensively (grounded can get shielded and Dolphin Slashed/or DI'd out of and Dolphin Slashed; aerial can be DI'd out of, possibly to a tipped Uair which may kill you early consider the vertical distance you sent yourself in at 90+ percents).
- Any tilts other than Utilt (His tilts are amazing, not MK amazing, but overshadow yours and outrange them). You can do a mid-range Dtilt to try to bait them into thinking you're vulnerable, but for all intents and purposes, stick to Utilt, and even that will be sparingly used.
- Try to combo him. Yeah, he's floaty enough that he can get out of a lot of Zair set-ups, or Fair you while you try to follow up with a sword attack. Stick to retreating zairs or those to bombs. You can try the VietG combo, or Zair -> Nair at low percents, but past 30%, it's VERY DI'able, and you're taking a larger risk than you'd gain in reward.
- Try to fight him close up. No, you'll lose. Dancing Blade beats out all of your ground attacks, Dolphin Slash stuffs everything, and your sword even in the air is no match unless you're below him.
- * Fsmash. He can jump away or Dolphin Slash between hits if you're not quick enough. Combined with DI where he is too high to do a second slash immediately, makes this kill move very hard to land.

* - Risky, but can work. It is usually equal risk-reward so it's considered neutral standing.

Also note that Marth has a similar advantage to you, and can exploit you similarly. Marth has a juggle trap with his Uair, and can kill, as well as just rack up damage on you by baiting airdodges. The juggle trap can end with Utilt or Usmash if they force you to try to avoid a Uair near the ground/bait you into an airdodge in other ways. You have a better Dair, but they will likely keep an eye on it and airdodge that, then punish you with Dancing Blade or whatever.

Marth does well on all the stages you do well on, so there's not anything you should explicitly ban except maybe Battlefield (and you can use that to your advantage too). He may ban Rainbow Cruise or FD if it's just a general dislike, but for the most part, there's no strategic reason to ban anything on both player sides. It will be general preference.

Comment/add/criticize/correct/whatever please.
Discuss! ^^

iRjOn

Smash Lord
sure VG thats a tidbit lol
nice job good points
Erm i believe its in marths favor alittle very little but alittle because of he swords reach.
Also the danger of being tipped and being tipped is like the power of the move fresh plus more isnt it?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
sure VG thats a tidbit lol
nice job good points
Erm i believe its in marths favor alittle very little but alittle because of he swords reach.
Also the danger of being tipped and being tipped is like the power of the move fresh plus more isnt it?
Any of Marth's attacks tipped can kill.

Saying a tipped move is like a fresh move plus more could stretch it a little, but we could say that.

It's not very little, trust me. The advantage in range and the fact that your projectiles are easily powershielded, or glidetossed back to you means a lot. When you have to run about playing a camping game, that's not very little.

Also, Counter shuts down Zair follow-ups (the ones involving your sword anyway). You can mindgame your way in there, but you don't discuss mindgames since it's universal to everyone.

At best, this is 60:40. At worst might be 65:35 or 70:30 Marth's favor. The only saving grace for Toon Link is that he's good at gimping, has Zair, and three projectiles.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
ahh when I look at it that way I see what you mean and I agree also.

Marths are really difficult to get around...they annoy me.
Bombs go through counter dont they?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
ahh when I look at it that way I see what you mean and I agree also.

Marths are really difficult to get around...they annoy me.
Bombs go through counter dont they?
No they do not. =/

However, you do expose him if you can force him to Counter a bomb. However, Countering projectiles usually isn't smart, so I doubt that will be a reliable way to approach since Marth has a lot of other options to get around bombs.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hmmm... So spamming projectiles and running like against MK is the best option like you kinda said huh?
There's not much else you can do. He's not as potent as MK since his kill moves are unsafe on block, and he is susceptible to gimps, so it's very realistic to be able to defeat Marth.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
when was this made? >_>;
Approach sometimes by running behind him and doing Bair, so hes not facing you. Then he can only use like Dsmash or Fsmash to punish. And those are avoidable since you know hes going to do it.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
So arrows should be used just for extra sneak attacks after aerials and bombs?
Just because someone outranges you doesn't mean you can't sneak in something after he uses it.
Also, it's funny that the VG combo uses the elements that you say are needed to attack Marth.
Even though it's less applicable in Brawl than in Melee, you still have to avoid getting hit by F smash. I have an F smash happy friend, and I usually airdodge-> zair to avoid it.

Stay away from Marth's shield, because it hides a DS.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
when was this made? >_>;
Approach sometimes by running behind him and doing Bair, so hes not facing you. Then he can only use like Dsmash or Fsmash to punish. And those are avoidable since you know hes going to do it.
No leik no Marths use Fsmash or Dsmash to try to attack from before ololol.

Dancing Blade or Dolphin Slash is where it's at. The former is safer, but the latter is a possibility if you try to shield pressure him with the butterknife.

Xx-M@TT-xX

Smash Rookie
Marth would have the upper hand because of weight and power tl would just have to keep him at bay using arrows bombs and his boomerang whenether possible

Santi

Smash Lord
Yea its not the matchup isn't that close.
It's more in marths favor by quite a bit IMO.

I'll try to have video soon against Roy_R and after I watch them and study them I'll try to put something.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Toon Link's problem in this matchup is his little range compared to marth. Thats why u have to gimp and camp the hell out of marth but good marths dont have trouble with camping >.>. But its the best thing we can do.

VietGeek

Smash Hero

I'll try to have video soon against Roy_R and after I watch them and study them I'll try to put something.
You have 666 post, go beast someone now please.

And yes, upload them so we can all see. One of the best Marths vs. one of the best TLs is nothing short of epic.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
VietG, does Marth's counter work on Toon Link's grab?, because if it doesn't than that could be a decent follow up after zair. Obviously you'd only use it once or twice in a match (not that Toon's use their grab that much anyway), but if you are expecting a counter... MINDGAMEZ!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
VietG, does Marth's counter work on Toon Link's grab?, because if it doesn't than that could be a decent follow up after zair. Obviously you'd only use it once or twice in a match (not that Toon's use their grab that much anyway), but if you are expecting a counter... MINDGAMEZ!
It obviously doesn't as its weakness is grabs (same as in Melee). The thing is though, most people can, and will buffer a roll away from you as you try to grab, causing a failure and perhaps your demise.

It could be done however. I don't think any good Marth users will repeatedly use Counter though. The move isn't too good.

Lobos

Smash Master
My quick 2 cents...

Marth is gay.....and spamming items doesn't always work, he has too much speed and range. Although the match up is in Marth's favor, it depends on the player and stage for this match up. For instance I can beat a scrubby or decent marth, but against a pro like Neo then its a hard match up.If I play on a stage like lylat or delphino those stages can gimp marth's UPb and give me the favor to win.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Emblem:
"The inherent problem with this is simple. The Marth or the TL might be doing something dumb or not abusing an ability or trait that could change the match.

Lobos: Haha. Aren't you cute."

I could also say the same thing about TL's fighting marths. All we have to go by so far is TL's beating un exp'd marths. That shouldnt put the match up in marths favor.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
But that's not how you decide on a match up.

V

Santi ***** a lot of Marth's, but he looks at each characters' tools and understands that his character still loses.

Santi

Smash Lord
IMO
Marth's air game (Fair out of shield, Nair, Bair out of sheild) > our air game & arrows, rangs, and sometimes bombs if they time the catch
Marth's ground game (Swordance & Tilts out of shield)> our ground game & projectiles.

WE both have trouble killing. TL has a better recovery but Marth can edgeguard us slightly better than we can edgeguard them.

Marth's air& ground speed is superior to ours.

ummm
Ive always hated this matchup (more fact than opinion :) )

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The match is close enough that if the TL is better he will win.

It's 60/40 Marth at the MOST 55/45 at the least.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Yes, santi ***** marth. Last time santi fought a marth in tournament, was DMG. I think.. someone who picked up marth cause of me. Before santi's match with DMG, santi called me and asked for tips on beating him. I told him what I knew, and watched santi beat him pretty good on the live stream. And DMG isnt a bad player. #4 in texas actually. He's also fought TL's and has the exp. How does that make it marths favor?

Santi

Smash Lord
You already are Steel2nd :)

Last time I fought marth was against Junk at WHOBO. But those are just friendles.

I did lose game 3 against Dphat at WHOBO when he went marth. I wanted him to stay MK. I lost that set. I usually win against him though. But I think its always close.
DMG was extremely close as well. Only reason I won game 1 was because I got the Dmash kill on him and got a stock lead. he still caught up and made game 1 close.
Game 3 I won because he tripped and I connected with a bair.

Jerm. I'll play against you with my Marth. I know how to fight against TL :)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
lol

are you REALLY basing match ups off of ONE match jerm?

Whatever, Santi knows what's up. i'm done here

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You don't even play Marth, Santi.

You play Jigglypuff.
Obviously.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
No, I'm basing it off plenty of matches. Marth's generally dont beat TL's. But ok, w/e.. this isnt even gonna change much. I tried to share knowledge and nobody listened. But I still wanna play your marth santi. No hard feelings guys? =]

Santi

Smash Lord
I played Marth in melee :)
lol
and I started playing him when Brawl came out.
I have some super old sucky matches up against Dojo haha.

But my jiggly is getting sickkkkkk. haha.

Jerm, the matchup is close. I mean when I played roy at HOBO 11 it went to game 3. we just don't have the range,speed,priority.
but we are only slightly behind.

we do have style though :) thats why TL's can win.

Marth is like wtfzzomgzzz so much style and legitness I dont know what to do :)

Santi

Smash Lord
Jerm, I really am curious to what we have the advantage over marth on?
I would like to look into that. It would probably help me a lot in the matchup to focus on our strong points.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Lol, santi. You copy cat. I played Melee marth too. But mained link. I also played marth in brawl, before I unlocked TL. But I've always played marth still. I actually went marth in pools at whobo. But anywayss

When I am fighting marth, only time I try to use my sword is out of shield. Usually bair, and sometimes nair. I also try to bait the dance blade for free grabs. Space those zairs perfectly.. but I'm sure you know that. As for as pure advantages, we can just run away, and still rack damage. Also, we have an amazing recovery. Get him off stage, and surprise him with fair, and arrow gimps. I also have some general marth mind games that tend to work. I could show you next time I see you.

Eveelution

Smash Rookie
You can never be too careful with Marth, unless their spacing is bad >_> I play against a Marth with INSANE spacing regularly and boomerang is always a god thing to use, keeps them away if only for a second so you can pull out a bomb, SH for a Zair or something. Zair can help but it's range still puts you in danger. If the Zair fails you may be in range for a large tip (and I don't mean gratuity fee). Toon Link's floatiness doesn't help a whole lot when he gets grabbed, Marth's grabs still make painful setups so that's one thing Zair can be useful for, punishing failed grab attempts. Marth lacks projectiles as we all know hopefully so bombing him to high heavens can be pretty good. If he sees the bomb coming and does a counter, just iBomb (which you should be doing anyway if you're dropping it). Not quite sure if it works but in my mind it looks like it can. iBomb correctly and the counter will either miss dues to the airdodge or you'll airdodge past him when he counters, allowing some nice Bairs and whatever. At higher percents, Nairing is good to get him away when you're on the ground (unsafe). And unless they can tip it just right, Uair is good when they're falling (usual time to use it). Just watch the counter timing and try to land one, TL's Uair outprioritizes Marth's Dair unless it's a tip. Same tactic works for Ike but Ike has eruption to, but just punish them after they use it and boom, you're a stock ahead. Long rant short, being defensive is really what TL has going for him in this matchup, it's just not safe and when against a REALLY good Marth, can get pretty scary. Watch out for dancing blade too, it's a killer!

grandra

Smash Rookie
I have one question about marth. Whenever I get knocked off the stage, I have a lot of trouble getting back on. As an example heres my most recent match with one showing how confused I really am with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS31UNvCEXc specifically 3:26-3:41

In that particular match it was much worse then usual, however in most cases I have absolutely no clue what I can do, but will always get hit at least once before I get a chance to get back to the stage, and it is really starting to get annoying :(

Ashraf23

Smash Apprentice
With Marth we want to out space them with zair when appropriate. We can't hold good Marth players off for too long with just zair, I've learned this the hard way lol. So, you want to get those projectiles in action, but you also want to make sure you're switching it up on them.

1. Bombs
2. Boomerang (aim up a lot)
3. arrows (shda)

That is the list in which is most important. You want to maintain a nice bomb game because Marths can't physically rip through them like they can with the boomerang and arrows. Another explanation of why you want to make sure to mix up your camping game.

Also we want to try to get close to them. They will usually fend us off with retreating Fairs. What you want to do here is either camp back, if winning, or zair through it get close, they outrage us :(. Once your close this is where we can do our damage. When we get in combat range most Marths are going to try to re-space themselves, this is when you want to go on the offensive. Bair chains, Utilt, Dsmash, etc.

Marth can also manipulate the stages on us. Like granda said sbove how he got punished once he was offstage. This gives us reason to only go in at them unless were sure they have made a mistake or there is just a good opportunity. Because when we air trying to get back on the stage they can either come offstage for us on just stay on stage and make sure we dont get back on. Your best option here would probably to just launch bombs onto the stage while you're in the air (lol).

So my overall synopsis:

60:40 Marth

grandra

Smash Rookie
thanks. I definitally agree with the 60:40 marth favor(even if my opponent does not think so lol). Especially when i'm off stage. I'll have to test around with throwing bombs and see what works best. If only he chose marth more often against me instead of his other characters he likes to use, i would be much better off. I really only have a problem against his marth, and i'm guessing its because thats really his one option to beat me with a very good chance. Because of that he does not want me to be better then his main, so he uses his other characters till he can beat me with his other characters, its really annoying lol. And for the record the characters he uses are fox, pikachu, d3, cf, used to use gaw, and is just now picking up olimar.

If any other questions come up ill probably posting in this thread

Top Bottom