• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do people figure out frame data...

Browny

Smash Hater
So im in the process of getting sonics frame data but my numbers are all really high. Ive been using a camcorder, taping training mode in 1/4 speed and uploading it to my video editing software where i can put the video slower than one frame a second to clearly see each movement but i dont think thats correct.

heres a short video of what i mean,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnMNHsRcSMQ

using my method im counting 16, 11 and 11 frames quite clearly on marths fsmash, dsmash and dtilt but theres numbers are all a lot higher than those listed in the marth boards.

Could me taping the game in 1/4 speed be the cause of this? any ideas on how to make the camcorder method accurate would be helpful :)

btw my camcorder is a pretty good one, one of the more expensive ones so i dont think its low quality/speed footage thats causing this

Timbers

check me out
your video looks correct, which is now making me wonder about Luc's frame data. Luc's bair is recorded as 13 frame startup, and it's certainly not quicker than Marth's fsmash.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
i don't much about frame data but from what i heard the 1/4 speed mode adds frames to make the actions look smoother so you'd better do it on normal speed

Browny

Smash Hater
yeah thats what i thought. only problem is i dont think my camcorder is quite 60fps so it would make counting frames quite hard that way

Browny

Smash Hater
so can someone please confirm/deny if thats true or not. I want to get all correct data but obviously dont want to do it if its using a wrong method. does putting the game in 1/2 speed make any difference or will only 1x work? thanks in advance

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Your method looks fine to me. Take note: 16 is actually a good moderate speed, which fits the description of Marth's Fsmash.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Set the speed to 1/2, and run your camcorder at 60 fps and use video editing software to de-interlace the video into 60 frames per second. That the best way I have heard to do it.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Putting aside 1/4th speed, doesn't Marth's fsmash have a small momentary hitbox behind and above him? By this I mean frames 13-15 by your measurements.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the actual number of frames shouldn't matter

as long as all your data is recorded the same way the practical stuff, i.e how the frame data of one move looks compared to another should still be proportional no matter what move you use.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Or what you can do is go to 1/4th speed, clock from the time you input the command to the time he hits. Take that number, mult by 15 (x60/4)

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
Marth's FSmash also hits above him a few frames before it hits infront of him

metroid1117

Smash Master
I asked Phanna about this a while ago, and this is word for word what he said:

Phanna said:
I believe, and you'd have to check with M2K to be certain, that they get frame data by recording it with a timer on the match, and go through frame by frame of the recording, and try to convert to the 60 frames there are in a second. My computer captures pictures for videos roughly every 0.07 seconds, so that's maybe 14-15 frames per second, so I'm not exactly sure how he would get the EXACT number without extrapolating to a tolerance of 2 frames or so - I'd ask him. He said target test people do it as well, so they might know?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
sorry, but this is really bad, marths f Smash comes out on frame 10 (99% sure it's 10 in brawl, 100% sure it's 10 in melee). My methods (only when tested by me, other people can't copy me, they've tried many times in melee but they suck at it)

whatever you're doing, it's wrong and bad, and you should stop it.

Stand 2 characters next to each other, Pause the game, hold A on 1 controller, and hold A on the other controller. Do this for say.... Ike and Snake. Both jabs will hit (or cling or whatever) at the same time. Ike and Snake's jab are both on frame 3. Why 3, instead of 1 or 2 or 4? Just put a few minutes of your time aside, and keep pausing the game immediately after (think of it as "basically the same time" as when you pause it) pausing it. You basically just press "A + Start" at almost the same time, and do it over and over until you are sure that you have the first frame paused, remember what it looks like (if you want to be extra safe, draw a light sketch on some paper), possibly by some distinct frame (most characters except like Mr. GW this is not very hard to do). After this, just do the same to figure out what Frame 2 of the move looks like (it's not really hard at ALL unless you're stupid). Frame 3, the fully extended arm, is the first hitframe. Just use your brain, it is not hard, but apparantly it' IS hard since no one else has been able t do this no matter how many times I explained it in the past in the Melee days.

To see if a move is 1 frame difference from each other (Ike's Jab is 3, Marth's Jab is 4), just stand them next to each other, and instead of just holding A on both controllers (you should always do that to test if they are = or not), just press A + start really fast on the move that you think takes longer (do retests to be safe) and then, with the game being paused at this time, have A be held down on both controllers, and unpause it. Both players will jab, and hit at the same time. By this you know Marth's jab is 1 frame slower than Ike's Jab.

oh and note: do not try doing this, no one has ever done it well except me. I actually started my most basic stat tests back in the SMASH 64 DAYS (cept no one knows about it). I figured it out on my own, everything I ever did w/ video games was alone, this is no exception.

if you say this is wrong, it isn't. YOU'RE wrong. I didn't do much stat tests for brawl except for a few characters for my own personal knowledge because I was curious. I hardly play really (I would love to if I had someone to play, but sadly that isn't the case except Saturday tourneys but that doesn't count) so I haven't really done much cuz I don't care anymore.

if people really don't believe the stuff i said, back when SuperDoodleMan tested things with AR everything he had matched everything I had in the melee days, and he used Action Replay to slow the game down frame by frame, while I used pencil, paper, 2 controllers, skill, pause, and a lot of retests.

btw, those are just the basics of the frame testing things i do, some of the longer things are like 20 times harder than that, and I mostly do them as a challenge to myself and because I was curious or wanted to make a full list. Whatever the reason, I did it for a lot of random moves in melee, I just don't care as much about brawl.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
if people really don't believe the stuff i said, back when SuperDoodleMan tested things with AR everything he had matched everything I had in the melee days, and he used Action Replay to slow the game down frame by frame, while I used pencil, paper, 2 controllers, skill, pause, and a lot of retests.
That's is some serious dedication right there. I had no idea that that was your method of getting frame data.

Must have taken forever lol.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Well, what if you were to record an attack on an SD card, upload it to your computer, and play that back frame by frame?

Is there any reliable method of obtaining frame data other than being a super genius?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
So I PMed Magus and this was his reply for anyone who wants to know.

Magus420 said:
Dark Sonic said:
So, the Sonic boards have been trying to find frame data for him, but things haven't exactly been going well. We used Marth as a test dummy...and got drastically different results from what M2K got. Obviously our method is wrong (we'd been recording his moves at 1/4th speed in training mode and then slowing the playback down to 1/15th speed. But the results were way off).

Any help?
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196297
You definitely don't want to alter the game speed at all in Brawl.

The best way is to capture the game in normal speed and be able to get the raw unaltered and still interlaced (this is important) 29.97 frames per second capture onto your computer. Most 'user friendly' capture programs try to deinterlace this source capture for you since interlaced video does not display well on a progressive display like your computer, and you need to avoid this being done.

When done properly, this method will always be 100% correct, so it's the next best thing to a debug mode for finding frame data. It's also pretty quick once you know the process. I did very thorough and detailed frame data for Luigi for Brawl in like 4-6 hours including all IASAs, hitbox windows, autocancels, hitlag/stun/advantages disadvantages (lol Brawl), etc.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175652

An important thing to mention is that the invincibility 'flashing' isn't actually a true representation of when you're invincible like in Melee. I noticed this when I did Luigi's stuff. The only way to find it is to test it directly to see the frames where they begin not getting hit for the start of the window and begin getting hit again for the end. I never bothered to redo this for Luigi since I've played the game maybe twice or something since then back in June, lol.

In NTSC the game runs at 59.94 frames/game images per sec, and when you capture through composite (the basic yellow video cable) or S-Video the signal that is carried is 29.97 interlaced frames per sec, which is actually 59.94 fields per sec with each field representing 1 game 'frame' and there are 2 of these fields in each interlaced frame.

So in reality every game frame you need is actually there in a basic normal speed capture, but 99% of the time when programs deinterlace the video they scrap 1 of those fields for viewing on a computer and you are left with a 29.97 progressive video (1 image per frame) and so half of the game frames are lost.

To get around this you need to do the deinterlacing yourself, and instead of scrapping half the fields you want to separate the fields into separate frames creating a 59.94 frames per sec progressive video. You could also capture through component to get 59.94 progressive, but I believe capture cards that have these particular inputs are extremely expensive/aren't readily available for consumers. With this all you need is any basic capture card/gamebridge/whatever.

I use VirtualDub (to do the capture and to view it) along with AviSynth which can do the proper deinterlacing method for this purpose. I begin to go over how I do it here and in my next 2-3 posts or so in that thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163775&p=4338287

I also explain some things about the video signal that is captured, interlaced video, deinterlacing, and how it applies when wanting to get all 59.94 (aka 60) game images/frames per second from the captured video signal here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162023&p=4308928

Also, like I mentioned in that first thread explaining it, you should be sure to record the move being done at least twice just in case a field happens to be added/dropped at the same time you used the move which could cause the data to be off by 1 'frame' on occasion. Having that to double check, and also having the in-game timer on will make sure the numbers you get are exact.

If you happen to have an S-Video connection for input and a cable that has an S-Video out from the game you should use that. The signal is basically the same as the normal composite (yellow), just that the image you get is a bit clearer which helps with reading things like Brawl's tiny game clock numbers.

When capturing, I recommend using a lossless codec or at least a very very high bitrate with a codec like XviD/Divx or something if you don't have adequate hard drive space for a lossless capture. The reason being that you don't want to get compression artifacts across the interlaced fields, which would distort fine details in the image that after you deinterlace it will make things like the game clock difficult or impossible to read.

I myself use the Lagarith Lossless video codec if you want a suggestion for one:
http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Top Bottom