• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[A must read]From beginner to advanced

kupo15

Smash Hero
This thread is ment to help get beginners to advanced by showing the steps on how to get there. There is no "one" right way to get advanced and this will have influence of my progression as Pit.

The beginning

In the beginning phase of playing Pit, focus on the Basics. The most important and best way to learn the basics is to experiment in friendlies. Do a lot of reading in stickied threads and the surrounding threads in the forums that are specifically tailored to the basics.

What this means:
-Do NOT be afraid to spam arrows- Great arrow control is essential to playing Pit well. Shooting a lot of arrows is the only way to get a feel for them and to get great control. Force them to approach by getting around the arrow spam and spam some more once they are off the stage. This spamming phase will put your arrow game to where it needs to be for later on when you tone down the amount of spam to the appropriate level.

-Use all of the moves- Experiment with using all of your moves in different ways. Find the ranges of each of the moves and what they do to your opponent. Are they damage givers? Are they multi hit? How much recovery time is there after the move? What would happen if I do this?......

-Ignore ATs- At this stage of the game, ATs are not helpful to you. Learning them now will not benefit you in any way. There is plenty of time to learn the ATs and many tricks Pit has that provides diversity to your game. The ATs function and true colors compliment an already solid set of basics and are not there to replace them.

-Ask questions- Chances are if your a beginner Pit reading this, you have not been around since the game was released and have a lot of catching up to do. There is a Q and A thread at the top of the forum. Use it!

Est. time frame: Several weeks

Intermediate:

The intermediate phase is when you have a pretty solid set of basics. You know how each move functions and what moves will get you want you want. You are proficient enough with Pit where you can hold your own pretty well with the most basic moveset.

This is the AT experimental phase. Pit has several important ATs and a lot of neat tricks to learn. This time should be spent learning how to do the ATs and figure out which ones fit your style the best. You should know what all of the ATs are, try everyone of them out, and this should be a fun time learning. Just know that these will most likely not provide a big difference in your game yet.
Go to the AT specific threads and read whats there. Also, watch some videos of Good Pit players that have successfully incorporated the ATs in their game. This can provide some excitement and a view into the future of what you will be doing.

The "Ultimate Guide" thread is stickied at the top of the forum and has a list of the ATs and links to the threads.

Est. time: 1 week

Experimental:

At this stage, you should have figured out which ATs you want to focus on to incorporate into your game. This is where you experiment with them similar to that of the arrow spam. You use it a lot, making a lot of mistakes along the way. This is the only way to learn when and how to use them. By making as much mistakes as possible, you have taught yourself all of the wrong situations when to use them which will guide you to the situations where they do work.
The point of this phase is to take 1 step back, to take 2 steps forward. Key thing is to not forget about your basics. You should always be working on them.

Est time: Several weeks

Advanced:

You are now at the point where you have done a lot of experimenting and know a lot about Pit. Your basics are really concrete and you have incorporated the ATs pretty well into your game. You know how to effectively use the ATs and tricks without much punishment due to using it at the wrong time. You may need some more guidance and are toning down the frequency of your ATs to make them more effective. Do some more reading about Related article: Advanced Pit playing.

You should be at the point where your playstyle is 90% basics, and 10% ATs meshed perfectly together. You should also be learning how to adjust that ratio of Basics:ATs depending on the matchup and the type of opponent are facing. You should also be very good at maximizing arrow spam with 0 risk of punishment. The arrow spam you first started doing won't work here. You need to be more clever by being a moving target and shooting unexpectedly for example.

A noob type opponent doesn't require ATs to win so you can switch to 100% basics to beat them bad or decided to toy with them by using ATs more than you need to show off. Fighting more advanced opponents might cause you to shift the Ratio 80:20 depending on the match up. The ratio of Basics:ATs for characters like MK is more 95:5 and for Snake its more like 70:30. Other characters are inbetween and you should be learning to adjust accordingly.

The key thing is that Basics always overrides ATs and the ratio should always be in favor of the Basics. You also know what you do wrong and what you have to do to take your game to the next level.

Est time: Several months

Disclaimers:

All times are minimum and may be longer

How does one apply for a sticky, anyways?
A mod will stick a thread if it's good enough to be deemed a sticky.

This thread is ok, but it essentially cuts out the middle man and doesn't really get down to anything but learning technical skill. The thread should be specifically for Pit players and not playing in general (According to the title of your thread). Might I recommend you take attention to these threads as well:

Playing To Learn

Keep Losing? Try this...

Brickwalls and Traps: The keys to victory

The Psychology of Smash

Beyond the game: random words of wisdom

The Physics of attacks (DI included)

All of these threads came from this thread.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162447

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
One step at a time is how it goes...
For some reason I still think I skipped some of the basics. Hopefully the new Pit players wont start usin ATs at the start, and will learn the basics first. I should have done that in the first place...

kupo15

Smash Hero
But seriously, what else is there that hasn't been covered in the previous guides? It isn't entire basic for all smashers. I did put some pit things in there. I also linked some threads as well.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152567
This should be your basics thing you keep pestering us that we dont have. I think you missed this

Top Bottom