• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Orleans Monthly #1 - 10/26/08 - Meta Knight Banned

-Ran

Smash Master
External Link:
http://www.gametabs.com/events/2008-10-26/new_orleans_brawl_monthly_1/44/
Please, for the love that is all that is holy, sign up to the above link. I ask this, because the Venue that we are going to is going to waive any/all fees for us to use their building if a sufficient level of users/activity is generated on their site. It's a pretty cool community building setup. You can even run tournaments right off of it. The guys at Dibbz are being INCREDIBLY helpful. Originally the tournament was going to have to shut down at the close of the store [10pm] on Sunday, but they've vowed to stay open as LONG as necessary. Maintaining a good partnership with the owners of Dibbz will ensure us a venue for every future monthly. So PLEASE, PLEASE, Register on the site, and post a comment/intent to join.

The owner is going to attempt to get many fresh bloods to come to the tournament as well, which will increase the pot.

Date:
10/26/08

Dibbz LAN Gaming Center
6850 Veterans Memorial Blvd, Metairie, LA

Time:
Noon till Completion. [Venue closes at 10pm]
Registration closes at 12:30.

Entry Fee:
10 dollars.

Format and Rules:
Singles tournament with Pools to select seeding.
Split: 50/25/15/5/5
No items.
Three Stocks.
Time Limit will be set to seven minutes. Ties determined by percent/stock.
Best two of three.
Bring your own controller.
Advanced slob picks
Stage striking for first pick (players may agree on a stage or random)
Stage bans: each player may ban one stage after stage striking occurs.
META KNIGHT IS BANNED

Stage List:
Starter:
Lylat, FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's, Delfino, and Castle Siege

Counterpick:
Halberd, Brinstar, PS1, Frigate, Rainbow Cruise, PS2, Pictochat, Norfair, and Pirate Ship

Banned:

Everything else.

IMPORTANT INFO TO BE SPECIFIED.
The way we do level striking is, we take turns striking out levels UNTIL ONE is left. So you dont have to worry about ANY ones you dislike.

Pools
In your pools you will only play a person for two matches instead of three. This is done to accelerate the pools. There will be no counter picking or stage striking. Stages will be random neutrals for the sake of speed.

Additional
Anyone who is capable of bringing a Wii/TV will be much appreciated. For a tournament such as this to work effectively, we need to have at least eight TVs. Also, the venue has asked that I use their website to promote the tournament, so please sign up on it. The link is at the top. I'm expecting at least thirty entries.

Given the proximity to Halloween, feel free to wear a costume! We might as well have fun with it. =D

Setup Ups
1. Ran Iji Tv+Wii+Brawl
2. Chad Lee. Tv+Wii+Brawl
3. Nickorz. Tv+Wii+Brawl
4. Hellspawn. Tv+Wii+Brawl?
5. Mankosuki. TV+Wii+Brawl+Power Strip+Second tv
6. Garret. Wii + Brawl + Wii + Brawl
7. jiovanni007. Wii + Brawl + TV

For attendee headcount/sign ups please go to...
http://gametabs.com/events/2008-10-26/new_orleans_brawl_monthly_1/44/

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I should be there, representing Florida. ^_^

Probably HolyChef, Ruse, and a couple others as well.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i reckon...oh..just about...ALL of LA is going to this.
i'd reccomend any out of staters that are interested, to come....we could probably find you housing somewhere for a night or 2 if its not too many people.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
IMPORTANT INFO TO BE SPECIFIED.
The way we do level striking is, we take turns striking out levels UNTIL ONE is left. So you dont have to worry about ANY ones you dislike.

-Ran

Smash Master
eeeewwwwwwwwwwwww.......
Teams have a low turn out typically. I'd rather everyone have a complete one vs one tournament. Pools give everyone more bang for their buck. It makes it worth it for people that don't compete often, or need significant time to warm up.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Lol, holychef what is that sig? It looks like ice climbers beating the cr@p out of ness...

Cyphus i dont think all of LA is going, I mean there are thousands of people in LA, i dont think they can all fit in one building...

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I demand teams.

Though I suppose if you're worried about Lee/Sudai being too hard to beat, we could do random teammate. After all, HolyChef & I would be pretty broken too.

In all seriousness though, Random Characters tourney FTW?

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Lol, holychef what is that sig? It looks like ice climbers beating the cr@p out of ness...

Cyphus i dont think all of LA is going, I mean there are thousands of people in LA, i dont think they can all fit in one building...
I lol'd. And I'm also going. :D

-Ran

Smash Master
CLICK ME
Please, for the love that is all that is holy, sign up to the above link. I ask this, because the Venue that we are going to is going to waive any/all fees for us to use their building if a sufficient level of users/activity is generated on their site. It's a pretty cool community building setup. You can even run tournaments right off of it. The guys at Dibbz are being INCREDIBLY helpful. Originally the tournament was going to have to shut down at the close of the store [10pm] on Sunday, but they've vowed to stay open as LONG as necessary. Maintaining a good partnership with the owners of Dibbz will ensure us a venue for every future monthly. So PLEASE, PLEASE, Register on the site, and post a comment/intent to join.

The owner is going to attempt to get many fresh bloods to come to the tournament as well, which will increase the pot. He's also going to work on getting us swag [T-shirts, etc...]

-Ran

Smash Master
Thanks Nick. =3

If interest continues for teams, and singles is running fast, then we'll organize teams.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'm curious as to who is coming as well... All and all, I'm getting very hyped already for the tournament. xD

-Ran

Smash Master
Awesome. Nick and Sudai typically bring laptops with recording set ups. By then, I'm going to have three hacked Wiis with unlimited replay at the tournament mine + two that Garret will bring. I'm deciding if I'm going to have a No Trip Wii for the finals. So with your setup, we'll have six recording stations. =D

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
my Wii is hacked with both Homebrew, and a Wiikey modchip.

How do you activate unlimited replay? Is it just an Ocarina code?

Nikz0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nik615
3DS FC
4468-0969-5023
Unfortunately, mine's not hacked... So it'd probably be a good idea to not rig hook-ups to hacked wii's since we could probably get them later. Just a suggestion. I'm lookin' forward to this. :D

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Thanks. Let me know if you want me to keep No Tripping on, as that's the only thing I have set right now. Sucks you can't change codes on the fly without a computer...

Yeah, I could hook up my VCR to somebody's Wii without infinite replay. Then rip saved replay matches from my Wii later on. People would just have to remember to actually save the replays.

Also kind of sucks that you lose the name tags in a replay though. Might be hard for me to identify you guys, having never played any LA since Melee.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
who from Dallas is going to this? melee1? i hear he's talented, no meatriding intended.
Yes, no meatriding. Dallas intends on going to this if enough people sign to the dibbz site. We would like to know an estimate turnout of players before considering.

-Ran

Smash Master
Thanks. Let me know if you want me to keep No Tripping on, as that's the only thing I have set right now. Sucks you can't change codes on the fly without a computer...

Yeah, I could hook up my VCR to somebody's Wii without infinite replay. Then rip saved replay matches from my Wii later on. People would just have to remember to actually save the replays.

Also kind of sucks that you lose the name tags in a replay though. Might be hard for me to identify you guys, having never played any LA since Melee.
Well, Gametabs coder added a nice feature to the bracket, which allows me to take notes about every match. I'm going to note which characters were used/stage/station, if possible.

There's also a ton of people that will be there that haven't signed up. -.-; Tournament is easily going to have 40 people. I'm going to be in Houston tomorrow, so if anyone is at Hobo, say hi. =)

Also, I'm considering banning Meta Knight from the New Orleans Monthlies. The decision will be made after I attend Hobo 11.

-Ran

Smash Master
Meta knight is officially banned from this tournament. To those that don't agree with this ban, don't come to the tournament.

Fino

Smash Master
While I love the fact that you are starting the MK ban (I want to see the results / I also was planing on doing this soon) it's kinda hard to consider it a legit tournament.
Castle Siege is a neutral?
No Doubles?
Something is fishy about this, though I could understand not doing doubles if you were expecting a huge turnout or something. There's always the option of starting it earlier or doing two days.

~Fino

-Ran

Smash Master
I'd write more, but at work.

We use stage striking, so we use a few more stages to make the process more diverse. The stage list was lifted from our Baton Rouge monthlies, which we've had no complaints about.

No doubles is due to the sub par turn out for it at the Baton Rouge tournament.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Man I wish I could go t a MK banned tourney

PS: Holy Chef I love your sig

Top Bottom