• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delayed Vanish Gliding. **NEW INFO & VIDEO.**

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
There's this weird thing that seems to happen with Sheik. Maybe others, I'm not really sure, but lots of times when I use needles or Vanish near an edge and either press UP or nothing at all, Sheik seems to randomly decide to B-boost or vanish glide.

I've got a vid of the vanish glide thing if you want to see. The needle one happens pretty much all the time.

Basically, you need to be standing right on the edge (roll to get to the maximum point) and I believe it has something to do with where your opponent is, but sometimes when I play others, they're at the other side of FD or a couple of steps away from me.

Anyway, anyone have an explanation?

Problem solved: Rolling from a particular point on the stage, or dashing and then rolling to the edge allows you to B-Boost or Vanish glide the minimum distance (Edge gliding) from what appears to be a stationary position.

I found out that ice seems to exaggerate certain properties of Sheik and other characters.

You can stall on the edge for about 2 seconds, completely frozen. If you hit UpB at any time, sheik does a vanish glide.

The same things happens with all her moves. Zelda has the same effect. She can do a lightningkick from this position just by hitting the cstick.

Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjyrSachyBE

This actually is what always happens whenever you stop running at a ledge, even on stages like FD. You can test it out for yourself. If you wait for this little animation on FD and then hit UpB, Sheik does the thing I was talking about above (when you roll at the edge to do a edge-glide)

NEW INFO.

If you hit back before you reach the edge, sheik stalls facing the opposite direction. You can do reverse Vanish Glides this way! This also works on FD but you dont glide the full distance.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I think you're doing the nice momentum fall for the needle charge. (roll towards edge, and mash B to do this) just pause a second for this to not happen.

As the up-B, probably same thing (yep, same thing)

1. either dash/walk then roll towards edge.
2. Mash B or up-B

also, I like how up-B does that :s mindgames anyone?

For some reason, when you dash towards an edge (no matter how small the dash) and roll, and you happen to "hug" the edge of the stage, and do a B or up-B, Sheiks slides offstage. To fix this, just pause a breif moment after the roll, then do your B move.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
No I stand perfectly still and just press up and B or just B.

In this video I rolled before I did the upB. I know some of you cynics will say its the roll. Try it yourself. Just stand at the edge against a CPU9 and press Up and B and sooner or later she'll do it.

Holy **** videos upload so fast in Canada. A video of this size took me 2 hours to upload in Qatar. Just 10 MB. Ridiculous.

Anyway, here's the vid. It happens right at the very very end.

You'll notice I did an UpB and held down just before, and it was fine, then when I did it again and held down, exactly like before, she died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLC_euYNGOI

LOL I forgot the music was on. Go Snow Patrol! :D

I think it may have actually just been the roll. I've been trying to recreate this by rolling to an edge and then upBing. If you time it quick enough, she does a vanish glide. I think this must have been what was happening all those times. I might be wrong. I'll test it out without rolls.

Oh, I also just discovered that Sheik has a Farore's Boost too. A pretty frickin huge one.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Yep, solved the problem. You need to roll towards the edge EXACTLY like the set up for a ledgewarp with Zelda. Works every time.

Teeter.
Roll towards center.
Take one step towards ledge.
Roll towards ledge.
Press Up and B.
Easy minimum vanish glide.

I think I'll call it Edge Gliding.

Check out the Sheik Guide for the video. It will be up soon.

Makes me wonder, though, what is it about rolling from that specific spot that would make her do a vanish glide? It's not momentum related or else it would work even better from closer to the ledge.

Oh, I just re-read your post Havokk. I was reading in a rush before.

Is this what you were talking about? If so I guess you're the one that discovered it. Well, would you mind calling it Edge Gliding then, since it's not the same as a Vanish Glide?

SuSa

You can do it easier with

Dash towards edge
Roll a bit before you get there
Press up+b/B with good timing

I didn't discover it, but its something I would call completely useless except that up-B might be good for mindgames, and I mostly get close to Sd'ing with my needles when this happens to me, although I had no clue it could happen with the up-b so if no one claims they discovered the up-B glitch, Edge Gliding sounds like a good name.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I think the momentum of the roll is enough. i.e. there is no need for the initial dashing part.

I still can't figure out why when I do it the way I was talking about earlier, sheik only falls at a certain distance.

Well, I was hoping I would find another way to do things like ledgewarps with other characters, but I suppose that since this is kinda of reversed it wouldn't really matter anyway.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
this is the same as when you fall off the ledge while charging needles, which we have 3 threads about i think.

SuSa

I think the momentum of the roll is enough. i.e. there is no need for the initial dashing part.

I still can't figure out why when I do it the way I was talking about earlier, sheik only falls at a certain distance.

Well, I was hoping I would find another way to do things like ledgewarps with other characters, but I suppose that since this is kinda of reversed it wouldn't really matter anyway.
Only partly true. I cannot needle fall unless I dash, but I can do the Edge Glide without the dash

this is the same as when you fall off the ledge while charging needles, which we have 3 threads about i think.
Thats what I said <:

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Sheikas are protectors, are they not? I don't know... Maybe I've been taking too much art class/eng lit, or maybe I'm just a bit crazy, but it seems that in Brawl all the characters (well, the ones whose games I know), play like their characters in their respective games.

Example: Zelda is somewhat slow but powerful. --> She needs to wait for the opportunity to arise for her to strike (Light arrows, Wisdom Triforce), etc...

Anyway, yeah. The better your sheik gets, by law, the better her edge-guarding is. She was not meant to spike and KO like Zelda.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Tristan. I made a topic about that days ago.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193527
Oh... ^-^'

Sorry Sink last time I read this thread was before the update and wasn't sure what on earth you were talking about until the video which didn't demonstrated what I though I'd discovered.

In the video where it has you doing that extended sliding stall into your B moves when you did use the vanish you did the long version while I was doing a short one.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hahaha it's ok. Good job discovering it on your own though. :p

She only does the extended one on ice. On regular stages she just grabs the side. The main point was that it could be delayed.

Top Bottom