• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokedex Entry 8: Yoshi

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
yoshi apparently ***** squirtle guys. :[ grab release into fair or something.

i think ivysaur and zard can handle yoshi though, just switch squirtle in at the end of a stock.

discuss the matchup per usual, etc etc. set up a match if you like. i'd personally like to set a match up with mmac!

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Right now I can tell you this: Despite having only a double jump (instead of the typical 2.5 jumps most characters have [the .5 is the up b]), Yoshi is HARD to gimp. Even against CPUs (and the Cpus are STUPID), I can't Gimp a Yoshi.

To Yoshi mainers, please tell me how you're supposed to play Yoshi. It'll help my judgment, and not look like a fool, again.

To help the Yoshi mainers with their own verdict, Here is a crash course on PT:

Squirtle: Often called the ninja turtle, Squirtle is meant to fly around the stage and hit opponents from the air (along with the occasional throw). However, After months of the developing metagame, Squirtle, while easy to learn, is the least reliable of the three, especially when fatigued. He lacks a KO move (barring usmash and dthrow, which typically work at over 100%), a lack of a meteor (making gimping that much harder), and several other problems (no projectile, light, slow ground speed), this should be the easier match.

Ivysaur: While Squirtle is meant to run around and try to fly, Ivysaur is meant to sit still, spam the long ranged move, and wait for the opponent to make the stupid mistake to run into Bullet seed and Usmash. Ivysaur's air game isn't bad either, Bair has great range, and Uair and Dair are two of his (I consider Ivysaur a he) KO moves (the third is Usmash). If you see a good Ivysaur, that means the player really took the time to learn him, as he is the hardest to learn with a primarily defensive play style (and a sucky recovery). Tread with some caution here, but Ivysaur is typically easier than...

Charizard: Yes, the orange mini dragon is considered by most professional PT's (all 8 of us, or at least all 8 that actually know of this site) as the most practical Pokemon PT has (and if you play the games, this actually makes sense, as Charizard is the most powerful). Charizard has several strategies under his sleeve (if he had any), including grab game, gimp game, pummel game, and more. Chairzard has Flamethrower (racks up damage), Rock Smash (alternate to both flamethrower and fsmash, depending on conditions), and Fly (I have found ways to KO someone with this move). He has decent vertical recovery (two air jumps and fly, his up B) along with the ability to glide (Horizontal recoveries are nearly infinite). Charizard is the one holding the team together, so he is likely the one to beat you (or at least be even with you). He is large though, but that is about the most obvious weakness he has.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
No one's a pro PT, lol.

Hey Mmac, can you show me a little bit of Yoshi? I seriously have no idea what he looks like in-game.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I'll guess I'll play you guys. I'm going to add you both.

I can't really say how you are suppose to play Yoshi, only show

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Sorry, I don't have a wi-fi connection for my Wii, and the instructions are confusing, so I'll have to get back to you.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
This is a weird entry, imo. Yoshi's game is such an enigma at this point in the metagame. He really is the darkest of all dark horses in brawl. I'll be back with some info.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I'm starting to think Ivy's grab game > Charizard's, although this is off topic.

From how it is now:

Squirtle << Yoshi

Ivy = Yoshi

Charizard > Yoshi

That would be a neutral, considering that you can completely avoid using Squirtle.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I watched Bwett's video. I'm going to make some generalizations about Yoshi play from his featured video. Correct me if I'm wrong. ^^

Yoshi uses Bair as an approach pretty often. Shouldn't be a problem for Ivysaur because it's own Bair is far longer than that. Dair will have similar problems because Yoshi has to traverse through the same area Bair hits or take a risk and get Bullet Seed'd. Similarly, the Yoshi Hip-Drop is going to suffer the same thing if it gets predicted.

Yoshi's ground approach seems to consist of the Egg Roll or his Ftilt. I think Ivysaur's own disjointed Ftilt will do well against these.

I saw, though, That Yoshi can make good follow-ups from below. This is good against Ivysaur and Charizard, since that's where they're both weak from. Utilt, Uair, an Usmash for the final kill?

I think Yoshi's Egg Toss may be a problem for Ivysaur, it just depends how Bair can put up with it. If it can't, then it'lll be a good tool. I don't think the Egg Lay is much of a problem because Ivysaur has more (disjointed) range, but I don't know if he'll just swallow Ivysaur up, anyway.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I don't know if it's just my opponent screwing up, but I've yet to be spiked out of Yoshi's chain release as Squirtle. *shrug*

That said, I think Squirtle is in the neighborhood of 35-65 against Yoshi. It'd be better if getting the kill wasn't so **** hard, but bleh.

Ivysaur is around 40-60. Yoshi is **** HARD to hit when he's flying around your head, but Bullet Seed ravages Yoshi. Ivysaur gets to play normally for the most part, but ease up on Nair, because Yoshi can SH Nair himself when you try, and of course his aerials are brutally fast. You're screwed in the air, though I've deterred Yoshi with Dair a decent number of times. Yoshi also seems to be a glutton for Vine Whip when it comes time to kill.

Charizard is about even, maybe a little ahead because of Flamethrower and whatnot. Both have solid grab games on the other. Both can kill the other effectively. Zard has to focus more on his jabs to defend and create openings because Yoshi is so fast.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
ivysaur honestly > yoshi. like 60-40 at least. ivy outcamps with leaves, bair screws with almost everything yoshi can do. you can space yoshi like ivy needs to, and bullet seed just totally *****. yoshi is surprisingly heavy after all.

yoshi's grab is so laggy that if you sidestep it, you are guaranteed a bullet seed.

the best strategy is probably ivy first stock, zard second, switch to squirtle before you die and play as defensively as you can, pick your spots, etc. then play ivy/zard the last stock.

zard eh maybe neutral, maybe 45-55 yoshi. perhaps i was just having a hard time with mmac, but yoshi moves around too quickly for zard.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, I just got a wi-fi connection and a friend code. It's 3136-8909-0378. You can ask to fight me to prove how (good I am/much I suck) through this (I'm kinda leaning towards the much I suck part, but you never know).

Onxy

Smash Lord
Hydde has terrible connection! Run Charizard! You still have time! Squirtle squirtle, squirtle squirtle squirtle, squirtle!

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
LOLOLOL also i do surprisingly bad against PT, in fact u do VERY bad!! so u are warned..

and my connection is pretty good actually :p is just that im...........FARR :p:p::

get on u too onxy!

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yeah, I told you I did a horrible job showing Yoshi on what he can do.

Don't judge Standing Grab. I screwed up so much Pivot Grabs, I wanted to punch myself in the face. I really did. Pivot's are about 9001 Times faster than that laggy Standing Grab

Bullet Seed is still annoying as hell though. The only problem is that as good as Bair and Razor Leaf is, Ivysaur really doesn't have an effective way to kill Yoshi. As bad as I was doing, I noticed that almost every match I was up to 175%+, sometimes living past 200 before you can kill me.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I'll play, sure. I hope it doesn't lag hard, but that's too much to ask for with garbage online.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
lets fight mmac!!

also onxy...online just...make sme play not good i need to restrinct myself of doing many things because of fear of lag gimping myself..or screw up timing :S

well everyone in fact suffer from this. :S

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
Is there any PT that can brawl me? I haven't really fought to many good PTs, and it'd be nice to see what he can do.

washy

Smash Apprentice
if anyone wants to batttle i can do ether yoshi or PT, my yoshi probably sucks but my pt my be ok.

EDIT: Jump man want to fight?

Onxy

Smash Lord
A Bthrow should kill Yoshi in the low-mid 100's.

Don't abuse Fair, 'cause it's a nice kill move.

Uair, is it any good here?

Dair maybe?

Vinewhip sounds good.

Fsmash is a no brainer, but is Yoshi in the air mostly?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, well, school starts tommorow for me so ya'll have to wait for saturday, and preferably, please tell me which area of the globe you live in. I live on the east coast, so if it's some distance, it's gonna have some lag.

Onxy

Smash Lord
I'll fight a Yoshi maybe, but I'm not facing Mmac. I fought him in the Yoshi dittos, and the lag was beyond terrible.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
Onxy, I can brawl you after I brawl washy if you're still online. I need more experience fighting PTs anyways

Onxy

Smash Lord
Charizard.....what was the point in telling us you have wifi, when you can't even get on it 'till saturday. It would've been nice if you didn't mention it 'till then, so we wouldn't bother you about it.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Not now, I'm too afraid to face Yoshi's wra....I mean I'll get on later, after I eat. What time do you want to play?

Onxy

Smash Lord
Can we play much later? Like between 9-10? If not, I'm sure we can arrange something.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
ggs washy.

Onxy, is that PST time? I can brawl at that time.

Also, from those matches, here's what I got:

Yoshi 7:3 Squirtle
Yoshi 45:55 Ivysaur
Yoshi 5:5 Charizard

Charizard is a big target that Yoshi can combo easier than other characters. Plus he's CGable, which is why I say the matchup is even

washy

Smash Apprentice
well gg, i hate getting use to lag but you still creamed me. I guess the rating on the yoshi thread is pretty close.

Top Bottom