• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic The Hedgehog: Community Matchup thread

What is Sonic's worst match up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Well how old is that? I remember back in the day everyone thought Luigi was like the ultimate Sonic counter or something, with the exception of perhaps Wario. Neither of those matchup are as bad as they were made out to be Imo.

I think this is probably because Sonic's back then were muchhhh more aerial based overall then they are now. Now we have all these fancy shield cancels and damagers and grabs techs and setups that up our ground game alot, and makes this matchup much easier than it used to be.

Browny

Smash Hater
so like, u-air has god tier range. luigis hax priority on his aerials dont beat out its range. Spam it imo

Napilopez

Smash Lord
so like, u-air has god tier range. luigis hax priority on his aerials dont beat out its range. Spam it imo
Yea, Uair is basically your only thing that totally pwns everything luigi(Or any char really) has with a downward hitbox. In general, being directly above Sonic is never a good Idea. Utilt, usmash, and Uair all have pretty ridiculous "priority" at some point.

Sonic's Bair can trade hits or perhaps even outrange luigi's, because Luigi's extends his hurtbox I believe. But obviously luigi comes out faster with less ending lag, so make of it what you will.

Luigi pretty much pwns you with everything else in the air.

Its annoying for me to deal with Luigi grounded DownB spam. Whats the best tactic against this, ftilt?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
In regards to what? Tornado Spam? hm....maybe...but considering Luigi can choose direction and the range of the tornado is greater than that of the spindash...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It still works for Weegees who aggresively rush into the SD invincibility frames without thinking of retreating! :D

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Range isnt really a a factor when the invincy and high prio frames just eat through it anyways. Its not as if it had thaattt much range. But yea, i have used SideB before, but only to mix things up. I think ftilt is prolly safest.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's late Napi, give it some time, I'm sure they'll come in the afternoon.

Speaking of late, I'm going to bed, good night.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Block Luigi's Down-B, then punish with side-B if he's close. If he's far and continues to spam it, double jump and prepare a Down-B.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
grab-> dthrow->uptilts
upsmash
up airs
sliding reverse fsmash(thast mostly just me lol)

fireball spam near the edge

uhmmm, fair or dair-nair aproach.

cyclone aproach.

jab up b

jab grab

jab cancels

thats teh typical arsonal i guess.
From the Luigi thread.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
anyway. me and dj brawled.
like i said to him:

1. i suck at luigi
2. i suck at wifi
3. i suck (lol)

But seriously.....
think it might be nuetral or Sonics advantage... errr but i am undecided. We need a solid match offline, coz so much of Luigis game relies on timing unexpectedness .... grrrr.

Browny

Smash Hater
uair is too good.
usmash > all of luigis ledge options (can even hit him hanging on some ledges)

you really gotta abuse the high priority/long ranged moves here. Whe you catch luigi hanging on the ledge almost everything he does is punishable since his get up attack is seriously bad you can just sit outside his range, as soon as invincibility wears off begin the b-air spam and drop a spring on his head or usmash him if he wont get up. Fireball spam is annoying but extremely punishable. Dthrow like crazy, it sends luigi across entire stages and if you grab him at the edge, pummel-release for an easy b-air stage spike. The only thing that got on my nerves in me an GS's matches was luigis dsmash. with proper DI i was living to silly high %'s against it but its so **** spammable.

oh and drop lots of springs on his head :p

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
nothing to add from what has been said. Play a grounded game and abuse your Uair. That is the only move that can reasonably beat out Luigi's in terms of priority. Bair might work in a few instances but overall, just stay to the ground. once he starts chucking fireballs, you've limited him and you can approach safely. Just beware the Utilt traps and his Dsmashes

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Okay, I don't play many good Luigi's. My bro however mains Luigi. He's not much at brawl but he knows some luigi :p

Character Behaviour- Aerial. He's gonna come in with N-air/well placed D-airs.

Commonly Used Moves- Aerial moves are Luigi's butter and bread. For killed he wants to sweetspot up-b you. That however is hard, cause HES TOO SLOW. Also I'm very annoyed by his dash attack :(. Watch out for his U-smash and F-smash, they come out pretty fast

How to Win- Sonic's ground game, the aerial just won't cut. Luigi will stay in air, but he can't stay there forever. Block aerials, shieldgrab if possible. F-smash should be saved for kills. Also Down-B's from half FD distance tend to work. Hit, jump, aerial. Land off course, don't be air if you don't have to. Also get Luigi off stage, It's his worst place. Luigi can be gimped easily, when he's below the ledge. One f-air should do it. To get him below the ledge, grab release near edge or D-throw near edge.

Recommended Stages- FD, Delfino. FD because there's no platforms where Luigi can approach, and Sonic can around lots and lots. Delfino cause of the always different and HIGH platforms. They're not in reach with Short Hops.
AVOID BATTLEFIELD.

I'll give this match to Sonic, cause Luigi is air, Sonic is ground. You can't stay in the air forever, however you can on ground. Also Sonic has SPEED. 60-40 Sonic

Please correct me if I made mistakes

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Probably will not, and not only that but grabs have a sort of "SA" to them, meaning you won't only not do anything except maybe get a set-up going, but you will take the full damage from the Green Missile.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yes, you can grab Luigi out of it.
You can also probably do the same thing that you can do to Pikachu and just shield it and F-smash/dashgrab his missfail.

Why a competent Luigi main would ever use that move offensively on the ground is beyond me though.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Yep everytime I used it on browny either as a recovery or for fun, shielding worked awesome, always had time to grab.

P.S. Luigi boards are dead, the Luigi's aren't coming.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
*Sigh* Then I suppose we'll just have to be smart and put ourselves in their shoes and assume what they would do if they were fighting a competant Sonic.

Hey Greens, even though we're half a planet away, do you want to see how much success/failure Wi-Fi would give?

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
lol not now mate. I have an exam on monday (actually days cud b off where u r)....i have an exam in 4 or 5 days that i need to study. My luigi sucks balls on wifi anyway. Even the tiniest lag stuffs me up and i just stick to the ground lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I see...owell was worth a shot.

Uhm anyway FYI right now it's Tuesday afternoon over here, would it be like sometime Wednesday evening over there?

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Luigi boards are not dead. We just don't feel like showing up. Oh, dammit, you got me.

Anyway, the thing about Luigi is that his aerial game shuts out Sonic's. I'm pretty sure that Luigi's N-Air> All of Sonic's air moves, and to whoever said Luigi is slow, shut up. Honestly, no. His aerial moves have very little lag, his smashes are all fast, and his F-Smash has "the speed of a jab but the power of 1000 gods."

The "lol no priority/kill moves lol" argument is gone, but Sonic still has sub-par priority on most moves. A good Luigi, as of recently, will try to recover from above or sweetspot the ledge with Green Missile. If he is recovering from below, it should not be a problem, especially with the spring. Luigi also has a "smorgasboard" of KO options, and Sonic does not. With Luigi you want to play defensively, because Luigi ***** offensively against those who don't have what it takes to shut down Luigi's offense (Disjointed hitboxes, good range, camping win), and I've only faced a handful of good Sonics, and I don't think Sonic has those qualities.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Luigi boards are not dead. We just don't feel like showing up. Oh, dammit, you got me.

Anyway, the thing about Luigi is that his aerial game shuts out Sonic's. I'm pretty sure that Luigi's N-Air> All of Sonic's air moves maybe except for U-air, and overhead B-airs, or is that included?, and to whoever said Luigi is slow, shut up. Honestly, no. His aerial moves have very little lag, his smashes are all fast, and his F-Smash has "the speed of a jab but the power of 1000 gods."

The "lol no priority/kill moves lol" argument is gone, but Sonic still has sub-par priority on most moves. A good Luigi, as of recently, will try to recover from above or sweetspot the ledge with Green Missile. If he is recovering from below, it should not be a problem, especially with the spring. Luigi also has a "smorgasboard" of KO options, and Sonic does not. With Luigi you want to play defensively, because Luigi ***** offensively against those who don't have what it takes to shut down Luigi's offense (Disjointed hitboxes, good range, camping win), and I've only faced a handful of good Sonics, and I don't think Sonic has those qualities.
Pretty much true.

rising tornado eats springs for the most part.
I wonder though, do any of Sonic's falling aerials hit Luigi out of tornado?
Question:

How safe is Luigi on block?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

Anyway, the thing about Luigi is that his aerial game shuts out Sonic's. I'm pretty sure that Luigi's N-Air> All of Sonic's air moves, and to whoever said Luigi is slow, shut up. Honestly, no. His aerial moves have very little lag, his smashes are all fast, and his F-Smash has "the speed of a jab but the power of 1000 gods."

That wont work.

:071:

Browny

Smash Hater
if luigi recovers from below hes going to get b-air stage spiked. i must have hit GS 50% of the time he recovered from below. .

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
Luigi is safe on block in both ways. Most of his moves are fast, so Sonic might not be able to retaliate, and as for the other way around, Luigi slides a lot on block, which is a good thing and a bad thing. If Luigi powershields, get ready for one of his kickass OOS options. Also, a word of advice:

DO. NOT. GET. JABBED.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Luigi is safe on block in both ways. Most of his moves are fast, so Sonic might not be able to retaliate, and as for the other way around, Luigi slides a lot on block, which is a good thing and a bad thing. If Luigi powershields, get ready for one of his kickass OOS options. Also, a word of advice:

DO. NOT. GET. JABBED.
Oh okay.

Some Luigis that I've played tended to do the SH > defensive aerial, or use N-air/F-air while landing to stay safe from a potential SH aerial/dash attack.

I always seemed to get those reactions with a running(+sliding) shieldgrab.

Top Bottom