• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Overall VIEW over Diddy's Playstyles and Moveset (EDITED)

saberhof

Smash Master
Alright, you people may not even know me, but as a fellow smasher, im shure you guys will respect me :D...so thats cool...

First of all, Diddy sucks (xD)

His ground game:

All his moves are amazing

Dash Attack:

- Works for setups and banana locking or just for going to grab your banana and if you hit it right at the edge with your last attack, you can go for the spike and also, the famous dash attack> upsmash confusion combo witch can eat at your opponents shield...

AAA combo

-Almost forgot about this, this can also be used as a pushing move into bananas or as a rack up, they cant shield this forever...you can also cancel the punches and go in for a grab or run away and just pressure them...

Tilts

Ftilt:

-Works for both attacking and punishing shields, and if you have a banana behind them, your ftilt will push him far enough to slip on it and go for the grab into a chain grab with the banana.
-Also works as a great kill move

Dtilt:

-It can be spammed into an extent, to either space out for a dash attack or go in for a grab.

-I have comboed into bananas with this move

Uptilt:

-Works great after dash attacks, or incoming (non sword moves/non magical moves lol) attacks from above, it juggles pretty well, and then you can follow it up with an aerial (ANY)...

Smashes

Fsmash:

-Can be used as a spacer, a kill move, or a banana setup move, and you can push him away while he is in his shield so you don't have to worry about shield grabbing, unless they run at you and grab you, but you will have enough time to react... just make sure you get both hits in though...

Dsmash:

-Can also be used for the same as the Fsmash only at a larger scale horizontally , and its both sides, less frames and only hits once.. great kill move...

Usmash:

-Its the damage-packer cause that's all it can be used for, but its still amazing in my opinion, after the dash attack, after an up air or after a banana throw...damage is good...

Aerials

Fair:

-Well, it out ranges meta knight's fair...so its incredibly amazing
it can work well as an edge guard, but watch out if they jump over you though, they can hit you
it also works in the dash-attack combos... and you can finish it off with this...

Bair:

-Its a great spacer, and you can spam it loads, i tend to use it allot if i don't have bananas to stay away from my opponent and keep him at guessing what i am gonna do next, i really change my game out when i am playing, allot...
-Not as a good kill move, but still its a great option to have...

Uair:

-Its a great combo move after some attacks, after Utilt's this is amazing and at higher % after the dash attack, you can apply this for some floaty characters and kill them at certain %'s(Meta, Marth,Jiggly, Luigi, ETC), you can do 2 if your amazingly lucky with his DI, %, Space... lots of stuff and potential in this move...

Dair:

-I do not only use this as a spike, i also use it in the stage, after a dash attack, in high damages, they will fall down hard, and sometimes they freak out and start rolling, that's where the banana/grab game comes handy..

Nair:

-This move at the beggining confuses by its way of it coming out, and many use it as an aerial attack going upwards, it can be used like that, but here are some uses i find for it:

- While coming down and falling from an attack
- Short hopping, at the end preforming the nair
- Short Hopping, at the beginning preforming the nair
- After a Dash attack, but i don't find this as usefull, but theres never a bad option, just better ones...
- After coming back and not using your jump, you can jump and Nair, and since it has so many hitboxes, it may hit, and you are still able to come back with the Up-B.
- The Nair can combo if your opponent doesnt know what to do at Low %, just short hop a nair and do another one, and then just go for another aerial.
- the nair has some pushing capabilities meaning = EVEN MORE BANANA COMBOS :D (MADNESS?!)

Grabs

Fthrow:

- Its awesome, along with the peanut gun, you can really keep the opponent at bay and really guessing, if you have bananas you can mix it up with bananas and peanuts, freaks people out...
- This throw also has capabilities of killing at high % like around 160 maybe...i don't remember, but its great to kill people like this...

Bthrow:

- I just use this when i really need spacing or getting some bananas, it really sends them far away for you to pick bananas up...

- I also find this throw capable of making people fall in your bananas, or roll, and you can go for a mini chain grab at low percents, they dont go as far...really awesome

- If you get a reverse peanut shot after this throw at low percents, they will try and roll away from it, you can grab them there

Uthrow:

- Pretty good if you have bananas, because they go really high, if they are pretty low in % you can u tilt them if they freak out and if they wanna get you bad (because diddy is that awesome)...

Dthrow:

- Same as Bthrow, but without the capabilities of being comboed , but you can pull bananas out as soon as you finish this with no problems...

How i play:

- Bananas are the essence in my game, i leave em down for them to grab(as a trick)/ traps/or setting up a banana combo.

- Peanuts are awesome after bananas in my opinion i always try and get 2 around after i throw the second banana.

- Dash dancing with some dash attacks and then grabbing bananas will freak people out and make them think your either gonna throw it/go for the dash after the banana/ or throw the banana down and grab them, lots of things here...

- Banana locking is also amazing, i only use it when i am going for the kill though, cause i cant banana them off to a gimp, its hard, i usually use my dash for a gimp, but i sometimes do not connect it perfectly enough to get the last hit.

Some combos/strategy's

- When having banana in hand:
Jump over them> Throw banana down(they slip), the banana flyes up enough for a grab, but i grab it with an aerial, and i perfectly hit it, after the hit with the aerial, i throw the banana forward, if they air dodge, you can hit them with the fair...fullproof...

- Banana> peanut>peanut(they roll or stand up)> banana> dash attack> Upsmash. (great pressure move)

- Peanut> banana> banana> grab(if they know what your doing)> b throw to reverse peanut shot to re-grab.

- Banana throw> Banana throw> Banana throw> UP-B (surprised?) (only at very high %, if you charge it, it can kill at a lil lower)

SITUATIONAL combos

- If you are holding the banana:
1) Run> glide toss forward while close> Pivot grab> Backthrow
2)Run> glide toss downward while close> Pivot grab> Backthrow

- If theres a banana behind your opponent:

1) Ftilt-push to banana(slip)>grab> f throw> peanut> throw second banana.(pressure)
2) Fsmash push to banana(slip)> dash attack> up tilt (wait)> upsmash.(mindgame/damage)
3) Dsmash push to banana(slip)> banana glide toss forward> fsmash (kill move)

- If there are two bananas behind your opponent:

4) Ftilt push to banana(1)(slip)> grab> AAAAAA....> (slip on second banana)> Regrab....

TIPS

- I find pushing into bananas really amazing, but if your opponent can perfect shield your attacks, you are a little screwed, but you can fix anything with diddy, you can go for a dash attack or anything after trying the pushing action

- If you have some good knowledge of pushing, it can come in handy in loads of situations were you want to freak them out thinking that theyre safe, but somehow you push them onto a banana and they do not realize it =D

Dribbling

- (Aka new wavedash) This move increases your chances at freaking out an opponent and keep them guessing, i find the mixture of the two types of dribbling really amazing if you know what you are doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybZ5A7fwE-E

EDGEGUARDING

Different types of edgeguarding:

- Banana pull/Double banana pull > tap off to fall off the stage and grab the edge fast
- Banana Pull/ tap off to grab edge fast > let go > Charge Up-B
- Double banana pull > Fair/Bair/Dair/Diddy hump
- Double banana pull > Short hop off stage peanut shot> Edgehog> Fair/bair/Dair/Diddy hump
- Double peanut shot > banana throw forward > Fair/Diddy hump/Dair (Save your jump for this one if you can)
- Banana throw> short hop throw a second banana > Edgehog> let go> Charge Up-B

The Special K Edgeguard ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcNVtu8lUM )

Very interesting one, this one can be used when you really throw off your opponent and something has got to hit him.
It can be started with a double banana pull > Jump> Reverse peanut shot> Up-B edgehog.

If your on a stage with levels

- High double banana pull > Edgehog> jump > Dair/bair/(walljump)fair/Diddy hump
(Works vs snake/rob/pit when they are coming from down low)

- Double banana pull from medium platform(like battlefield/smashville/yoshi's island/etc) > jump > Reverse peanut shot> Up-B edgehog.

B moves:

B (Peanut gun):

-Great move to freak out opponents, most people dont know that this doesnt really have amazing knockback and get scared from it, it may not do much but its effective in any gameplay, cause it flinches your opponent, i also love it as a returning technique.

-Learn to reverse peanut shoot, its amazing =O...

Side b (diddy hump/Karate kick):

- The most i would spam this would be VS metaknight, cause i unfortunately i face some tornado knights...

- The spike move is really effective, but only if you have a way to back it up and you know its a shure thing
(also, remember that the side b grab counters lots of stuff, like ganons side b, peachs floating attacks, metaknights B...i dont know about his Side b tho, i think its possible..)

- The Karate kick is amazing, the fact that it can be canceled in the air is awesome, i have comboed into a dsmash and it really makes them think twice about grabbing me.

Upb (barrel boost):

- Amazing recovery/spike/projectile move, i also spam this vs tornado knights, links, zelda/ pikachu, and anything really that can leave em off running wild.
it can be angled in any direction, so its great, cause you can go anywere...

- I can also see this as an offensive move, it kills at pretty high % tho...i use it sometimes after the slip on a banana.

- Another great tip with this move is a lil gimp i always try and do vs my opponent when he tries and hits me in the edge:

Fall of edge> Footstool> Charge Up-B> barrel spike :D...

Down-B: BANANA PULL

- This is by far, not a BAD move, it will freak out people if used as an offensive move, everyone thought it was just a move to take out bananas just like pikmin, right?...wrong :D...

1) The pull has a good hitbox if you are facing the opposite direction and pulling it right when your opponent is close such as:
- while your opponent is shielding.
- while hes trying to attack .
- while hes trying to grab you, the banana will get him, if you used the right Pull.

2) There's two types of pulls, the smash and tilt, the smash makes the banana come out closer to the ground and the tilt viceversa.
- You can combine these types of pulls to jump> Insert type of pull > jump> grab banana
or airdodge, anything, experimentation is good here...

3) If you hit your opponent with this while he/she is shielding, it will push them back a lil, this could prevent certain grab attempts.
- It can hit the moment you pull it out.
- It can hit while its falling.

Some other Tips:

- Short hopping a banana is great, i have fallen into situations, where they just spotdodge them, but the banana peel falls right on their feet and they end up falling down and a banana combo can be started out here...

- i don't know this, but i think diddy can pivot grab, if this is true, then you can go into the banana chaingrab very easily after they slip on one..=O..

- Peanuts are one of your greatest friends...

And as final thoughts:

Any diddy should know what to do vs their opponent and wait for them to do something and then remember what to do vs that, the results are great if you can really read them out into their moves. i am working right now on learning all of diddys moves and all he can do vs other characters and learn all their moves and memorize the priority and tons of other stuff...

Anyway, in the end, all you have to do is read/learn/mindgame/combo and pressure your opponent into screwing up, you don't need to make him screw up, after you pressure him enough, he HAS to come get you at some point or they will fall on one of your traps, and that's what you want to happen...

Its all patience, aggressive diddy's are all based on pressure and reading what they are doing REALLY FAST...

-Like Nanerz's and Ninjalink's diddy are pressure diddy's and they get away with it and win
Video links to these players:

- Ninjalink Example's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV8NmhSBXmw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4kU06kpb8

- Nanerz Example's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY3qfUjC6zA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr-kqB-yZ20

- If i remember correctly, Pa0ol, wasn't a pressuring diddy, he was the patient monkey and waited for them to screw up and took the opportunity and comboed them to hell...

I don't know if he still plays or if hes any better now, but ill give out an example

Example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYrmbeEVWy0

- Alphazealot is another example of a patient player, he always gets his hits in because he waits for the screw up

Example's : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcw8PUZEr6Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnzfzLzfSo

I myself take advantage of both of these and i am trying to adapt...:D...i will get some tournament videos soon and i hope you can all share some of your views on diddy and his game. i will even add some good advice on this if i see it...:D...

much luv to diddy's out there <3...

:)

-Saberhof~ Viva Tijuana/Mexico :chuckle:

kkkoala

Smash Cadet
technically this is a guide not a view :O

<3 ur sig btw

(thats it, nothing meaningful from me)

saberhof

Smash Master
well yeah, but its my view on how I PLAY :O...but i guess thats cool if i anyone will use it as a guide :D...

:D

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Interesting wall of text you got there.

This is a better read for Diddy newbies than fatalities' guide to be honest.
I've been thinking about working on a general Diddy Kong guide as of late. But you've already got the workings of one here.

The one thing this subforum lacks is a comprehensive advanced play strategy guide.
But we already have AlphaZealot's MLG articles as well.

Still, if you want to take this thread of yours somewhere saberhof, I'd be more than happy to add it to the sticky.

Count

Smash Champion
I've been considering doing a long diddy video guide, since the ones out there merely show the techs but don't explain them. But I'm not sure if I wanna put that much energy into it, at least now, so we will see. Plus, there are much better diddy players out there to do this sort of thing.

saberhof

Smash Master
Interesting wall of text you got there.

This is a better read for Diddy newbies than fatalities' guide to be honest.
I've been thinking about working on a general Diddy Kong guide as of late. But you've already got the workings of one here.

The one thing this subforum lacks is a comprehensive advanced play strategy guide.
But we already have AlphaZealot's MLG articles as well.

Still, if you want to take this thread of yours somewhere saberhof, I'd be more than happy to add it to the sticky.

i am down for editing it...:D....that would be cool...

if a banana is behind the opponent, i would banana choke CG them.
yeah bigmack, i actually mentioned that Chaingrab in one of the combo's, i just didnt know the name of it xD...

IDK

Smash Lord
oh sorry kinda skimmed it lol. but i just reread it and liked it. gj.

saberhof

Smash Master
No problem, i am glad this will be helpful in some way :D...

and i edited it, so it looks nicer now :D..

I've been considering doing a long diddy video guide, since the ones out there merely show the techs but don't explain them. But I'm not sure if I wanna put that much energy into it, at least now, so we will see. Plus, there are much better diddy players out there to do this sort of thing.
i am aware there are better players and experience is one of the big details when creating such a thing, but i think i am pretty good myself, i may not have videos, but that's why i want to go to a tournament and prove myself.

Count

Smash Champion
I wasn't talking about you. I'm sure you are good. I am talking about myself doing a guide, i was mainly just thinking out loud. I didn't mean to make you think I was insulting you. I did however, mean to insult myself :laugh:

saberhof

Smash Master
oh, well i didn't take it much as an insult, because, there ARE better players than me (probably)...

but i bet your not very lost in the monkey ways =P, and thnx for the reply...hope you liked it now that i edited it xd

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
B moves:

B (Peanut gun):

-Great move to freak out opponents, most people dont know that this doesnt really have amazing knockback and get scared from it, it may not do much but its effective in any gameplay, cause it flinches your opponent, i also love it as a returning technique.

-Learn to reverse peanut shoot, its amazing =O...

Side b (diddy hump/Karate kick):

- The most i would spam this would be VS metaknight, cause i unfortunately i face some tornado knights...

- The spike move is really effective, but only if you have a way to back it up and you know its a shure thing
(also, remember that the side b grab counters lots of stuff, like ganons side b, peachs floating attacks, metaknights B...i dont know about his Side b tho, i think its possible..)

- The Karate kick is amazing, the fact that it can be canceled in the air is awesome, i have comboed into a dsmash and it really makes them think twice about grabbing me.

Upb (barrel boost):

- Amazing recovery/spike/projectile move, i also spam this vs tornado knights, links, zelda/ pikachu, and anything really that can leave em off running wild.
it can be angled in any direction, so its great, cause you can go anywere...

- I can also see this as an offensive move, it kills at pretty high % tho...i use it sometimes after the slip on a banana.

- Another great tip with this move is a lil gimp i always try and do vs my opponent when he tries and hits me in the edge:

Fall of edge> Footstool> Charge Up-B> barrel spike :D...
How could the OP forget the Down B under B moves? IT'S DIDDY'S MOST IMPORTANT MOVE!

I know you mention the Banana Peel in combos and in advance playing, in fact your entire post pointed out many ways to use the Banana Peel, but LOL you forgot to mention it as a stand-alone move!

TKD

Smash Lord
Looks like a Melee guide, because of the focus on each move's uses, instead of an all around gameplan.

It's pretty superficial, I don't know if many would spend time reading it. Anyway thanks! I don't think I'm gonna get into playing as Diddy Kong though.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Looks like a Melee guide, because of the focus on each move's uses, instead of an all around gameplan.

It's pretty superficial, I don't know if many would spend time reading it. Anyway thanks! I don't think I'm gonna get into playing as Diddy Kong though.
Yeah TKD diddy is mine :p

saberhof

Smash Master

what does that mean? melee has nothing to do with this...and this is no game plan...read the title plz

And people who want to know diddy MORE would be interested a lil, i know i would want to read something like this to get better with a character im developing

and i dont want you to play as diddy, im not forcing anyone into it either...i liked it when it was a secret and everyone thought he sucked, that was fun xP...haha

Hi hof :D

well well....i havent talked to you in a while, i have seen you on msn tho, you dont answer... watsup??

TKD

Smash Lord
what does that mean? melee has nothing to do with this...and this is no game plan...read the title plz

And people who want to know diddy MORE would be interested a lil, i know i would want to read something like this to get better with a character im developing
Sorry for talking bad about monkey business =(

<3

saberhof

Smash Master
Np TKD :D...

i might go to this sunday's weekly thing :O...

and i edited the text once more :D!!

i hope you all get to reading it :D

saberhof

Smash Master
umm, i dont really use it that much tilted, i dont think you can use it as an uptilt, noup....

the only way i would use the tilted action would be down for no reason, maybe to trip but thats it, or maybe edgeguard...:O

DUB

Smash Lord
I saw where it says Diddy's D-smash can only hit once. I don't know if it requires a certain type of DI from the player being attacked by it or the sheer size of the opponent but I have hitten a Donkey Kong with both parts of the smash before.

Guide looks pretty good.

saberhof

Smash Master
^ yeah, but how can you plan that out to hit always hit it??..:O...its pretty random sometimes...

and thnx on the comment :)

dyeout

Smash Cadet
I'm new to diddy and new to brawl so i'm just checking character out.With the removal of L cancelling and W dash don't see it fit to play my melee characters.But **** diddy is cool,after seeing that Ninjalink vid. vs that pikachu **** man,smoking.I wanna try him out.Thx for the guild anyway.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm new to diddy and new to brawl so i'm just checking character out.With the removal of L cancelling and W dash don't see it fit to play my melee characters.But **** diddy is cool,after seeing that Ninjalink vid. vs that pikachu **** man,smoking.I wanna try him out.Thx for the guild anyway.
This is like...5 months out of date >.>, and NLs video is like...10 months out of date...is it really that impressive?!?!

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Check Alphazealots second match vs Ally if you want to see a good Diddy thats up to date. Even though Ally won, it was still a good match and AZ played really well. His thread should still be on the first page somewhere.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Looks good. Maybe in your spare time you could add some colors to make it look all nice, nothing too light though >.>

The most interesting part is the strategies part with Pressure and Patient Diddy's. By breaking down some specific strategies in specific situations we could come up with some advanced metagame strats.

skabs

Smash Rookie
Great guide! I settled on Diddy as my main a while ago, and have been looking for a few ways to improve my game. However, why are all of the videos listed as private? I was looking for a visual demonstration of some of the moves you mentioned, and was disappointed that I was unable to view them.

Top Bottom