• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Evo 2008 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Pools are posted

I've counted about 110 people playing Brawl. Honestly, higher than I expected considering the ruleset, but still nowhere near the attendence of Fast1 or the Critical Hits.

Notables that I saw:

Ken Hoang: Obviously this is going to be interesting to see. He said he was going to revolutionize Marth's metagame for Brawl. I don't believe that it's even possible, but I still would like to see some vids of Ken in Brawl action.

Justin Wong: lol. He'll make thousands in every other game there, but now he's trying Brawl too :p

Also, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON'T MAKE THIS INTO A RULESET DEBATE. THE RULESET IS HORRIBLE, WE KNOW. DON'T MAKE POSTS ABOUT IT BECAUSE THE TOPIC WILL BE LOCKED.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Ken Hoang: Obviously this is going to be interesting to see. He said he was going to revolutionize Marth's metagame for Brawl. I don't believe that it's even possible, but I still would like to see some vids of Ken in Brawl action.
Yeah, I'm interesting in seeing what he has to show.

Are there anyone taking videos of his game?

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Notables that I saw:

Ken is going to get wrecked. lol

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Westminster's Ken Hoang will have a chance to become a repeat "Super Smash Bros." champion at the Evolution Fighting Game Championships.

In the "Super Smash Bros. Brawl" competition, Hoang is one of the first to reach the final eight after surviving Saturday's preliminaries at the Tropicana Hotel and Resort in Las Vegas.

Hoang won last year's Melee competition, which had 270 entrants. To win the Brawl tournament, he'll only have to weed through an estimated 105 competitors.

Likely joining him in the final eight will be Las Vegas' Kyle "SK92" King. According to VegasSmash, King (pictured, left) is about a win or two away from reaching EVO's "Championship Sunday."

The final eight will compete Saturday afternoon at the Tropicana.

Source: Get Your Tournament

Nica K.O

Smash Cadet
yeah i heard ken is in top 8...good **** to him....anyone know who he's using?

The Game II

Smash Champion
Some of you will put an asterisk on this however, but ... three Southern California players in the final eight. SoCal does it again.

edit: and that would be ken, bardull and hall.

--GCII

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Some of you will put an asterisk on this however, but ... three Southern California players in the final eight. SoCal does it again.

edit: and that would be ken, bardull and hall.

--GCII
Did anybody from ec attend this event?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So, Wong didn't make it to top 8 then? If he didn't, I can't say I'm surprised. Nor would I really blame him, given the situation.

Nica K.O

Smash Cadet
oh snap i forgot all about the rules lol that are in place....all this time im thinking they got no items with a decent amount of time and stuff...but eh...GO KEN...rep that marth (hopefully) =\

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
LOL.

What? All of those top players will tell you they wish it was no items. The difference is that no item players are just hugely more skilled than "items" players, because the only items players outside of ISP are EVO cross over fighter players, and unfortunately you need to dedicate a good amount of time to Smash to actually be good at it.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
After this is done, I'd love to break down the numbers of attendees for Brawl. AFAIK, there are 105 entrants, 54 of which are signed up solely for Brawl. Last year, Melee had 270 entrants (no idea how many were just for Melee). On a national scale, Brawl tournaments are receiving higher turnouts than any smash tournaments before, and it is not unusual for local tournaments to hit anywhere between 40-100 people. Without a doubt, Brawl is starting off more popular than Melee ended off.

But the turnout for Brawl is less than half of what Melee had last year. I'm not going to try to estimate how many people EVO would have gotten with a better ruleset, but needless to say that it could've been enormous. I guess we can always hope 2009 won't repeat the same mistakes.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
So, Wong didn't make it to top 8 then? If he didn't, I can't say I'm surprised. Nor would I really blame him, given the situation.
Haha, I'm sure he really cares considering he's winning every other event at Evo :laugh:

Also:

Brawl - Top 8

Winners:

Ken vs. Darwin
Hall vs. CPV

Losers:

Bardol
SK92
(will update once last 2 are found out)

I'm very surprised that SK92 is in losers. He's an awesome Falco. Probably item gayness.

And in case you're wondering, Brawl finals:

3:00 PM - 5:00 PM Super Smash Brothers Brawl Finals

Also, does anyone know if the finals recorded and released? Or do they put them on the DVD?

The Game II

Smash Champion
To answer some of Anth0ny's questions.

1. SK92 was put in the same division as Ken, so I'm guessing that's how he got his 1 loss (remember, the eight divisions mean you're playing a smaller bracket until there's 1 undefeated and 1 remaining in losers, then they join a bigger bracket).

2. Unless something changed, today's matches will be on a DVD.

--GCII

Kryian

Smash Journeyman
After this is done, I'd love to break down the numbers of attendees for Brawl. AFAIK, there are 105 entrants, 54 of which are signed up solely for Brawl. Last year, Melee had 270 entrants (no idea how many were just for Melee). On a national scale, Brawl tournaments are receiving higher turnouts than any smash tournaments before, and it is not unusual for local tournaments to hit anywhere between 40-100 people. Without a doubt, Brawl is starting off more popular than Melee ended off.

But the turnout for Brawl is less than half of what Melee had last year. I'm not going to try to estimate how many people EVO would have gotten with a better ruleset, but needless to say that it could've been enormous. I guess we can always hope 2009 won't repeat the same mistakes.
Well, obviously the ruleset is the largest factor, but overall turnout for EVERY game at Evo is lower than years past. The Evo organizers just made some very poor decisions this year (plus they lost their sponsorship meaning there is no guaranteed prize money). They made registration online only, so you can not register at the door, the pricing makes it so that if you only want to play one game you're paying $50 just to do that, and they decided to drop support for probably the most popular fighting game in the US right now, not including Smash (Guilty Gear). Throw in the loss of sponsorship and crazy prizes, and people just won't want to go.

People have been saying it for months, but it really looks like Evo is old news. If you want a fighting game tournament that features Smash + others with the hype of past Evolutions, reasonable rules, pricing, and organizers, your best bets are Season's Beatings in Ohio this October and Final Round in Atlanta next March.

polarity

Smash Apprentice
i doubt the evo organizers really care about the lower turnout given evo has never been about trying to get the most attendees possible. given how much the TOs complain about what a nightmare the tournament is to run every year and how much allowing on-site registration ****s everything up, i bet they're totally happy to take the hit on attendance to have a much better-run tournament all round. evo has never been a profit-making enterprise anyway.

polarity

Smash Apprentice
LOL.

What? All of those top players will tell you they wish it was no items. The difference is that no item players are just hugely more skilled than "items" players, because the only items players outside of ISP are EVO cross over fighter players, and unfortunately you need to dedicate a good amount of time to Smash to actually be good at it.
no dude you dont understand items is SO RANDOM its basically a coinflip who wins between a top player and a total scrub

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
no dude you dont understand items is SO RANDOM its basically a coinflip who wins between a top player and a total scrub
Not really. If you were anywhre near me, I'd gladly MM you two to one odds with items on, and you'd have no reason not to accept.

It takes skill to use items well as well, however, they provide a more random outcome. Nevertheless, I won't lose to a scrub just because items are on. I have other skills, like better dodging, catching, smarter play, glad tossing, and regular K.O.s

No one misunderstand me. I think that the EVO ruleset is stupid, but the best men will still be at the top. A scrub isn't going to get lucky due to items and win.

LOL.

What's a "No item player" or an "Item player"? I don't play with items in tourney, but I do for fun. Does that reduce my skill? What exactly are you trying to get at here?

Kryian

Smash Journeyman
i doubt the evo organizers really care about the lower turnout given evo has never been about trying to get the most attendees possible. given how much the TOs complain about what a nightmare the tournament is to run every year and how much allowing on-site registration ****s everything up, i bet they're totally happy to take the hit on attendance to have a much better-run tournament all round. evo has never been a profit-making enterprise anyway.
Not true. Unless they revamp the way they handle things for next year, turnout will drop again, the same top players (and more) who didn't bother this year won't bother next year, and it loses its luster as a true spectacle in the fighting game scene. Sponsors won't come back, and Evo fades away....

Honestly that's unlikely, but they still need to rethink some of their poor decisions from this year for a better tournament overall. Bring back GG (if BlazBlue doesn't take over), allow onsite registration a day or two before the tournaments, adpot a more accepted ruleset for Smash (or just drop the game...).

The Game II

Smash Champion
People have been saying it for months, but it really looks like Evo is old news. If you want a fighting game tournament that features Smash + others with the hype of past Evolutions, reasonable rules, pricing, and organizers, your best bets are Season's Beatings in Ohio this October and Final Round in Atlanta next March.
I think a lot of people have been trying to knock EVO for a long while now. But we have to remember that they've done a lot in the past 10 years. Is there another tournament series in the United States that has lasted as long and has brought in international talent? The high level of play, the various amount of events, Championship Sunday, there are a lot of reasons why EVO is great.

But yes, I do have to agree that they made some bad mistakes this year.

The Smash situation is very unique because they never had to pick the game last year or this year because they didn't pick it the prior eight years. Instead of Melee, they could have went with DOA4 again. And this year, they could have went with a bunch of other games instead of Brawl, and that includes Guilty Gear.

I said it a couple months ago, can you imagine the Guilty Gear community right now? They're on the sidelines while there's a Smash tournament that draws barely 100 players.

Yes, this year is bad, but I'm not sold that there's a regime change. There are so many new games coming out that there's a possibility of an overhaul. And any tournament organizer knows that you learn from what you've done in the past so that future events are better.

polarity said:
I sort of agree with this.

--GCII

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Waiting for updates >_>.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
lol, Ken is too good with items.

I would have to add though, if you take out the two bat kills that both players had in the first match, Ken ***** SK pretty hard.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Ken is crazy with items on. But now I wanna see him play with items off. Not saying he's bad or anything, but I just wanna see him play with items off :p

Also, the Brawl tournament should be wrapped up by now. Anyone know the results? Go Ken lol.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Ken is crazy with items on. But now I wanna see him play with items off. Not saying he's bad or anything, but I just wanna see him play with items off :p

Also, the Brawl tournament should be wrapped up by now. Anyone know the results? Go Ken lol.
Didn't they say 3-5 p.m.? And most of the time, there's delays. I'd be surprised if the final eight finished in 54 minutes.

--GCII

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Those were good videos. It would have been a shame if SK92 got the Smash Ball on the last stock of the second video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom