• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online latency and its effects on your mind and overpowered moves.

Foxy

Smash Master
(NOTE: Please, please, if I've gotten anything wrong here just let me know and I'll fix the post. I do not believe that I'm really technically solid or that I'm always right.)

Before I begin my brief post, I want to clear up something some people may not understand yet:

Lag is when the screen is jumpy, the framerate has issues, when the game slows down and speeds up to try to align with real-time, and other visually obvious things. This usually happens in situations with poor connections (like on dial-up or when someone is torrenting).

Latency (usually referred to as delay or input lag by Brawlers) is the amount of time it takes for input given by the player to actually occur in the game. A lot of players on online games will know this as their ping, or the time it takes to "talk" to a server. This is always present in online games, and especially in Brawl due to it's lack of prediction scripting as a fighting game rather than a racer or FPS. Though it can be lower on great connections (green/blue ones) it can never be eliminated like on LAN play. Additionally, latency is variable; it will fluctuate during a match within a small range.

So what am I saying? Lag is when the screen gets all screwy, and latency is the time that you notice between when you tell your character to do something and when they actually do it (a source of a lot of frustration). So, without futher ado:

The Mind

My first point is about the way your mind adapts to latency. A lot of good players who place well in offline tourneys at high levels of play but who do not go online frequently will be frustrated by how they are beaten solidly by players who have no tourney experience but play a lot online. Even average players who may partake in online bouts often but haven't played recently will see this. The question is: why? Why are these players losing, even if they are amazing players, simply because they haven't played recently online?

Well, offline play takes place in real-time, with your inputs being computed and produced on the screen as soon as you press the buttons (excluding **** buffering). This means that you must be thinking quickly to react as things happen on the screen to your character and the surrounding environment. However, thanks to latency, that kind of thinking isn't so viable online, and trying to play like there isn't any latency won't garner much success. And unfortunately, you can't train your mind into thinking the right way. The only real way it happens is with time.

So these players who never compete in offline tourneys but have hundreds of ladder matches under their belts are actually used to thinking about what they want to happen in the next quarter of a second instead of what they want to happen right now. I can't explain how this directly influences the game and why the player thinking with latency accounted for always has the upper hand, but it's easy to see. Luckily, plain knowledge and skill are beneficial even if you're still thinking in the offline-style, so if Mew2King and Azen went and played doubles on GameBattles, they would probably be really successful.

So that's a bit about why it takes time online to really become competitive on ladders and such, and why good players find themselves losing to "noobs" who simply play often. But that's not what you wanted to read, is it?

Overpowered Moves

This is what you opened the thread for, I guarantee it. You want to know why you can't beat spam-tastic Wolf player online, why you keep getting hit by that god**** down-smash or forward-smash, even when it's the only move in your nubile opponent's repertoire. Well... you're in luck.

Basically, it comes down to this: we can only react to what we see on the screen, because that's all that is actually happening. Let's go through a quick theoretical series of events to see the repercussions of this, knowing that Brawl runs at 60 frames per second, assuming that the players have a connection with a latency of 200 milliseconds (12 frames), assuming that Wolf's fsmash hits in 10 frames from the minimal testing I did, and using an impossible reaction time of 1/12 of a second:

Code:
Frame    Ganon Input         Wolf Input          Ganon          Wolf
 0                                               standing       standing
10                           c-stick forward
22                                                              fsmash start
27       press r
32                                               launched       fsmash hits
39                                               airdodge
So, Ganon saw Wolf fsmash, and he hit his shield within 5 frames (1/12 of a second) of the attack beginning. However, the input didn't register until 12 frames later, thanks to latency, and by that time the fsmash had already hit him. Of course, the Wolf is also disadvantaged because he had to start the fsmash hoping that Ganon hadn't input a faster attack or a defensive maneuver previously, but the one who really suffered was Ganon, because he had no way to dodge the fsmash, even if he saw it and had the skill to avoid it.

Let's see that in an offline setting:

Code:
Frame    Ganon Input         Wolf Input          Ganon          Wolf
10                           c-stick forward                    fsmash start
15       press r                                 shield
20                                                              fsmash hits shield
See? Without latency, the fsmash didn't hit.

However, players don't really have the reflexes to shield Wolf's fsmash simply by watching it start. Let's say that, this time, Ganon can only react in twice the time it took him before (10 frames, 167 milliseconds, or 1/6 of a second). Let's also use a slower attack that players still find landing too often online, with the same latency conditions and assumptions we used in the first example.

With minimal testing (a stopwatch in 1/4 speed showed that the hitbox appeared in about 1 second) I'm going to assume that Pikachu's fsmash hits in 15 frames, rather than the 10 for Wolf's.

Code:
Frame    Ganon Input         Pikachu Input       Ganon          Pikachu
32       press r
37                                               launched       fsmash hits
44                                               airdodge
It was once again impossible for Ganon to block the slower smash even if he saw it coming. Essentially, the latency more than doubled his reaction time from 10 frames to 22 frames.

Finally, one last example, this time with Ike's fsmash - something that people complain about a lot in Basic Brawl; we'll use the same assumptions again, and with my limited testing showing that it takes about 30 frames for the move to hit.

Code:
Frame    Ganon Input         Ike Input           Ganon          Ike
40       press r
52                                               shield         fsmash hits shield
So, in 200 millisecond latency, Ganon needed to react within 18 frames of the exact start of Ike's fsmash to block it. This isn't impossible, it's almost a third of a second, but there are a lot of other factors:
-Ganon probably wouldn't know it was an fsmash until the beginning of the move had passed and the motion was obvious
-Ganon is probably waiting for another action to end before being able to shield, as two players aren't usually just sitting next to each other. He may be finishing a rolldodge, a spotdodge, an aerial, a missed grab, etc, so he's probably mashing his shield buttons to pull one out as soon as he can. This would successfully block the fsmash offline, but online the recovery lag from his last movement combined with latency makes it impossible.
-Ganon may not be focusing on Ike's exact movements. He could be playing offensively, could be distracted, or it could be a free-for-all.
-A slower connection would make the fsmash even harder to avoid.

Conclusions? Even Ike's fsmash can become very hard or impossible block unless you've predicted an attack from your opponent and are shielding already.

So, that's it. That's my idea of why we find a lot of spammed attacks so aggravatingly hard to avoid when playing online. Knowledge is power, no?

And once again, if some of my numbers are pretty far off, if my guesses for reaction time and latency are unrealistic, or if I have anything flat out wrong, correct me and I'll update the post to reflect it. You could end up teaching me more than I wanted to teach to you!

D_T

Smash Rookie
So, drawing this out a little further. A slower character gets the least benefit from lag unless it is extremely bad. If you have a little lag, faster characters gain a large advantage in that more of their moves become impossible to block unless predicted.

A character that relies on shielding/dodging precisely between fast attacks, Ike, for example, has a disadvantage in lag to say, Metaknight or Marth, who have super fast attacks they can use repeatedly.

While Ike may be able to use an unpredictable fsmash to get a free kill, that advantage is severely outweighed by the amount of attacks that he can be hit by much more easily.

Uffe

Smash Hero
This is good. I like this topic already. There are some people who say that playing online, even if there is no lag, there really is still some lag. Don't ask me about that because I'm still debating whether or not that statement is true, but your topic looks like it's proof for them. Either way I see what you're saying. I'll be fighting Wolf, knowing his methods and somehow still get struck by his f-smash even though I shielded myself. Apparently being online makes things different. My brother plays differently online than he does offline.

Sylvan

Smash Apprentice
This is a good analysis of online play.

I found this especially true when juggling. Sometimes I find it ridiculously easy to juggle people, even when I know they are better than that. Mostly because the falling person has to react to the rising person's attack. The conclusion I drew was:

Lag favors attackers.

Lag (latency, whatever, lag is easier to write XD) affects how you react to a move, if your starting a move first, you'll find yourself in a more desirable situation. Take the wolf-gannon example, Wolf starts the attack first, therefore gannon must react, lag prevents his reaction within an acceptable time so wolf hits. However, if gannon were attacking the roles would be reverse. The thing that makes wolf so good, is that his fsmash is one of the longest range smashes in the game, meaning he will be in position to smash before someone like gannon.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I request this to be a sticky, or at least put into Samurai's list of "Helpful thread" This is an excellent analysis of online play. I honestly had never considered reaction time and how your mind thinks to do something about a quarter of a second before it happens.

Great read all in all. Very nice. Although, one thing, Gannon has two ns, not one n.

Foxy

Smash Master
I request this to be a sticky, or at least put into Samurai's list of "Helpful thread" This is an excellent analysis of online play. I honestly had never considered reaction time and how your mind thinks to do something about a quarter of a second before it happens.

Great read all in all. Very nice. Although, one thing, Gannon has two ns, not one n.
http://www.gannon-banned.com/

Rule number ONE.

;]

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Good thread. I've known about this for a while, but never considered it in such depth. Nice job.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
In addition, input lag can be rather unstable at times. I myself can't powershield things based on prior timing alone more than three times in a row on Wifi.

Foxy

Smash Master
In addition, input lag can be rather unstable at times. I myself can't powershield things based on prior timing alone more than three times in a row on Wifi.
Yep, latency is absolutely variable.

However, the larger factor in what you're describing is the actual lag (when the screen jumps slightly). If you input anything while the screen is lagging, it just won't register at all. Nada. So in a very laggy game you really have to spam whatever you want to do next in order to guarantee it to happen.

This makes precision like power-shielding very difficult to maintain.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I'll add that (ab)using the shield/roll dodge and punishing is the basis of laggy online play. As a result SH'd aerials (especially as an approach) are much more punishable because your opponent can roll/shield then follow up with a Tilt/ fast Smash attack before you can DI to regain your spacing and continue the SH'd aerials (as would be the case in offline play).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
No, I know what that lag is. I'm saying input lag has a tendency to change how much there is.

Foxy

Smash Master
I'll add that (ab)using the shield/roll dodge and punishing is the basis of laggy online play. As a result SH'd aerials (especially as an approach) are much more punishable because your opponent can roll/shield then follow up with a Tilt/ fast Smash attack before you can DI to regain your spacing and continue the SH'd aerials (as would be the case in offline play).
Yep. Attempting SH aerials, especially ones that require fast-falling to land on short character (like Wolf's bair on Kirby) or RAR'd aerials is a lot more risky than attacking on the ground in online settings, because it requires you to hope that your opponent will be where you want them even further into the future. Basically, the less set-up your offense requires, the better. (Obviously that's usually true for reliability, but it's exponentially more influential online.)

And on the topic of abusing roll-dodges: they give you extended vulnerability for frames in the future so they're well-equipped for defensive play online. You can spam rolls, and your opponent must first catch up mentally to your movement (especially if they just whiffed), then predict where you're going to roll next and time their offense to land in-between your dodges. Repeated rolling is generally safer than repeated spot-dodging online as spot-dodging can be somewhat random thanks to the lower ratio of invincibility to vulnerability frames for most characters.

No, I know what that lag is. I'm saying input lag has a tendency to change how much there is.
Ah, okay; wasn't sure whether you were referring to framerate issues or not. I forgot that 'input lag' is another term used, I'll add it in for clarity's sake.

Zench

Smash Cadet
i find it pretty amazing how many walls of text the people of smashboards are able to compose.
not that i have any bad intension's for saying that, by all means continue :)
i would never have expected so many discussions about (really small problems actually) when i entered the smash-world for the first time. (just felt the urge to say that)

jber4life

Smash Apprentice
Because by the time it is inputed into online your character has already been hit from the F-Smash. Thus registering it as an Airdodge instead of a shield

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
I've played close to 3000 online matches (most of them with a selected group in friend play). With two good connections, input delay will be about 250ms. That's 1/4 of a second.

It's fine to be off with that kind of delay but there's only so much you blame the delay on. Getting used to the difference of timing is no different than using a different character with different timing attacks.

No one has a reaction time of 1/12 of a second. If you see something coming that you didn't predict; there's no way in hell you could react that fast. Most people have a reaction time of 1/4 to 1/5 of a second.

It's like this..

You see the attack coming
You react in 200-250ms
Your reaction is delayed 250ms by the latency
The latency pretty much doubles your reaction time. The only way to avoid a fast hit (500ms or less) is to predict and shield/spotdodge before the attack is executed.

But the thing is, 250ms latency is considered good. A lot of people have poor connections (probably due to not knowing how wireless works). You could experience 500ms or even 1000ms.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
I've played close to 3000 online matches (most of them with a selected group in friend play). With two good connections, input delay will be about 250ms. That's 1/4 of a second.

It's fine to be off with that kind of delay but there's only so much you blame the delay on. Getting used to the difference of timing is no different than using a different character with different timing attacks.

No one has a reaction time of 1/12 of a second. If you see something coming that you didn't predict; there's no way in hell you could react that fast. Most people have a reaction time of 1/4 to 1/5 of a second.

It's like this..

You react in 200-250ms
The latency pretty much doubles your reaction time. The only way to avoid a fast hit (500ms or less) is to predict and shield/spotdodge before the attack is executed.

But the thing is, 250ms latency is considered good. A lot of people have poor connections (probably due to not knowing how wireless works). You could experience 500ms or even 1000ms.
1/4 of a second is NOT ok, input lag.... that would kill most people...
i have like 2 frames of lag XD (thats 1 frame more than offline, i usually dont notice it unless my opponents connection sucks in which case i leave)

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
I seriously doubt you have only 2 frames of delay. If lag was that minimal then no one would complain because no one would notice it.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
well some people have more lag than others... and i was just kidding XD but ireally have almost no lag, i do not notice it much, and when i do its rare.
i play offline with my irl friends too, so its not that i have just "gotten used to it" but i would hate to have a whoe 1/4 sec. lag... thats horrible.

Foxy

Smash Master
I've played about 1000 match (mostly on GameBattles ladders) and especially in singles there seems to be a bit less lag than that. You're probably seeing somewhat slower connections from playing with a larger number of people (unless by 'group' you meant two). However, even though 200+ ping is considered slow for most online games, I assume from what I've seen that generally Brawl is at or above that.

I'd say that really slow connections could reach up to possibly 700 ms, but a good one between only two players is probably below 200 ms.

Yep, that's the emphasis of the first section. Basically, I'm trying to say that getting used to online play is the same natural change that occurs over time as with anything else (such as getting used to a new character, like you said). Sometimes people don't realize that the difference in performance between them and their less-knowledgeable opponent is simply experience and muscle memory.

It's like this..

You react in 200-250ms

The 1/12 of a second reaction time in the first example was definitely meant to be unrealistic (I'll add in a bit to mention that, though) because I wanted to show what would happen if Ganon could try to shield before he was hit. Even the reaction times in the other examples are somewhat overboard, ignoring outside factors and such.

I like your example, and how you say that it essentially doubles your reaction time; I should edit in something like that. Thanks for your critique/comments, I'm glad people find the subject interesting. =]

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
The typical lag I've gotten was about 6-10 frames to someone half an hour away from me, 10-13 frames to people in different states, 15-18 frames to people in California (from here in Michigan), and a full 30 frames to someone in the Netherlands.

Pretty sad, really, considering input lag on much faster-paced games I've played ranges from 2 when in-state to like, 4 or 5 when out-of-state.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Fighter games like Melty Blood apply to this, as well. I suspect Nintendo's Wifi is done through relay servers rather than direct connection, and the position of said relay servers doesn't appear to make much sense either.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
People have sniffed the connection and discovered that there's no server involved. It's completely peer to peer. I believe the reason that there's more latency than normal is because wired isn't the default solution. Wii doesn't have an Ethernet port built in, you have to buy the LAN adapter separately. Most people use their wireless connections and wireless can have all sorts of problems: Bad channel, too far away, not compatible etc. Not to mention that wireless will always be slower than wired.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
Any FPS, any MMO, etc.
FPS, and RPGs dont really matter much about lag though unless its just horrendous

Fighter games like Melty Blood apply to this, as well. I suspect Nintendo's Wifi is done through relay servers rather than direct connection, and the position of said relay servers doesn't appear to make much sense either.
ok, so other fighters are faster too, thats what i wanted to know.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Nice read, i pretty much figured this. And having played MANY online matches, you learn to hold R as soon as you land from an aerial

Foxy

Smash Master
People have sniffed the connection and discovered that there's no server involved. It's completely peer to peer. I believe the reason that there's more latency than normal is because wired isn't the default solution. Wii doesn't have an Ethernet port built in, you have to buy the LAN adapter separately. Most people use their wireless connections and wireless can have all sorts of problems: Bad channel, too far away, not compatible etc. Not to mention that wireless will always be slower than wired.
I've never really understood exactly what LAN adapters do, and I've heard some people rave about them and some people say that it actually doesn't make a difference.

Is it something that's only really useful if both people have one? And what is their actual function?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
LAN adapters just let you hook your Wii up to your router directly, rather than using 802.11b/g. I've never seen lag as bad as Nintendo's Wifi playing at the comparable distances in any other games, though, even when using my computer on wireless playing with someone else who's on his own wireless router.

peeup

Smash Lord
Yeah, alot of moves that are probably just "good" come across as "overpowered" on wifi. Any smash that has hitboxes that stay out for a while (and pikachu's down special) can be extremely difficult to get past.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if online play could actually be considered helpful at ALL. To be entirely honest, I find myself watching an opponent MUCH more closely now that I know I need to shield/spotdodge ASAP. Offline I'm a ***** to hit and get ahold of, now. :)

Online also really messes with DI/smash DI and spacing. :( Sonic spindash combos are godly online, too. You'll be in your shield and dodging half the match if you want to win. Offline, you can grab or smash them out of it... *cries*

Thanks for this thread, though-gonna show it to all the scrubs in my clan so they can see why they suck when they think they're good. xD

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I wonder if online play could actually be considered helpful at ALL. To be entirely honest, I find myself watching an opponent MUCH more closely now that I know I need to shield/spotdodge ASAP. Offline I'm a ***** to hit and get ahold of, now. :)

Online also really messes with DI/smash DI and spacing. :( Sonic spindash combos are godly online, too. You'll be in your shield and dodging half the match if you want to win. Offline, you can grab or smash them out of it... *cries*

Thanks for this thread, though-gonna show it to all the scrubs in my clan so they can see why they suck when they think they're good. xD
I hope that "scrubs" comment wasn't directed at me, Koda. <-<

Pretty nice read. Glad to see some actual numbers for input lag.

I completely agree with Koda. Half the time I'm online, I find myself sitting in Spin Charge mode watching my opponent's movements just so I can decide which Spin Dash Combo will work or if I should even Spin Dash at all. It becomes more of a strategy game than a fighting game. You need to predict your opponent's moves, or else.

Now Kirby can do some sick & twisted things to Snake offline, but you need perfect timing, something that's hard to have online. Let's say I'm online on Battlefield & Snake's at about 120% damage (easy kill), so I try to F-Smash him. But a fraction of a second before I did it he pulls out a grenade. (Not enough time to react) Right before the F-Smash hits, Snake shields. Kirby hits the grenade. Ouch.

That's probaly what bothers me the most about online. The fact that you see that you made a mistake in real-time, but you've already input the commands. I guess my point is that online Brawl is almost another game in itself. But I'm not bashing online or anything. It's one of the best things about Brawl. I'm just saying that input lag changes the game a lot.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
If both players have blue/green connection how much difference is it compared to offline? I play a little bit better offline (I sound like a noob but im not) but when I play online it almost never lags because almost everyone in my list have blue connection but is there still a big difference?

Top Bottom