• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Diddy as Metaknight 'counter'?

Drab Emordnilap

Palindrome Bard
BRoomer
Word on the street is, Diddy is the closest thing to a counter for Meta out there, but I'm having a problem seeing how that is. Watching him slip on a banana mid-tornado is fun, but what really puts Diddy over the top against Metaknight?

IDK

Smash Lord
one of MK's main things is having a ton of priority in his b moves... and diddy trumps them all with bananas and kung fu kicks. a smart diddy won't get gimped against a meta... which is another one of meta's main things. diddy has the speed to keep up with him, and he can put bananas on the ground so MK can't run around like a h0. i'm not sure where else it is. diddy beats him in weight and KO power...

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Any notion that Diddy Kong is a Metaknight counter is unfounded.
Any notion that Diddy Kong is a counter for any character is unfounded.
Any notion that Diddy Kong is worth playing is unfounded.
Stop spreading lies!

((With great Banana play, Diddy Kong can wreck any character. Basically if the Metaknight can't handle the pressure dished out by the bananas, then they're going to lose control of the match, and subsequently, the game)).

Count

Smash Champion
Reverse glide tossing is your friend and keep meta knights off balance and out of a flow!

But its not fun at all, don't try it, and diddy is just as lousy as everybody else vs meta knight. really.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
diddy is definitely nowhere near a metaknight counter. how are you going to make him trip when he spends half of his time in the air?

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
With great Banana play, Diddy Kong can wreck any character. Basically if the Metaknight can't handle the pressure dished out by the bananas, then they're going to lose control of the match, and subsequently, the game
I agree with this. I don't think Diddy is specifically a counter to Metaknight.

I've played 3 Metaknights in tournament so far with Diddy Kong and won every time. I like it.

HMD

Smash Journeyman
the MK is most of the time unable to use the ground so why the glide stops it's rather they edge grab or they slam into the floor with 15% chance of them hitting u first and u dont have to allow them go in the air again

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I beat the 9th ranked player on AiB today who only uses MK. Online, but still, Diddy is far more hindered in online play than MK is.

Id rate the match easier than Peach.

Sao

Smash Cadet
It may feel that way if the metaknight you are playing against has never played a decent diddy kong before, however the way my brother plays against me contradicts that. I play the best diddy in az for sure and feel possibly best on the west coast (according to dsf/ajax who have played nanerz, etc). There is no way in hell that if i am playing my best, and my brother (Morty) is playing his mk his best that i will win. He knows not to stay on the ground, and beats the **** out of me with air priority, i see a few people saying diddy has better priority, they dont know what theyre talking about.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Or by priority they mean that nanas beat all of MK's moves (unless they are timed to catch).

How exactly is MK going to attack you without a projectile from the air? Eventually, he has to land, or get close enough to you that you can hit him with a nana. MK needs the ground for his KO moves, except for the Up-B, which he needs to be on level with you and so you can still nana him.

If MK wants to actually kill Diddy, he will have to get close and in range of nana. Spamming jumps and the D-air won't do anything but give Diddy tidbits of damage.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Or by priority they mean that nanas beat all of MK's moves (unless they are timed to catch).

How exactly is MK going to attack you without a projectile from the air? Eventually, he has to land, or get close enough to you that you can hit him with a nana. MK needs the ground for his KO moves, except for the Up-B, which he needs to be on level with you and so you can still nana him.

If MK wants to actually kill Diddy, he will have to get close and in range of nana. Spamming jumps and the D-air won't do anything but give Diddy tidbits of damage.
Exactly. Great point.

I mean, in a close up in-your-face fight meta knight would win. But if diddy is played correctly, using glidetossing and such while keeping out of range of his kill moves, he has great chances of winning. Plus the bananas definetly get in the way of every single one of his specials.

Oh and if d-air is spammed Diddy could just attack from the sides with a f-air or something.

I wouldn't necessarily say Diddy is a counter against MK, but I do say he's probably one of the few that MK doesn't destroy.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
NL beat me both matches, although they were very close, but he also 2-0d infernoomni, and 2 stock ***** him one game I heard (from omni), and took Azen to 5th game, but the match Azen went MK he lost by 1 stock low %. There's a high chance Diddy has the advantage in the match, but it could also be an issue of matchup experience. I think it's at least even, maybe Diddy's favor because of NL's **** performance.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Mew2King said:
There's a high chance Diddy has the advantage in the match, but it could also be an issue of matchup experience.
Diddy Kong.
Brawl's best kept secret til' now.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
****, and I lost to a Metaknight today. I really only got downsmashed and up b'd and it killed me. Guess today just wasn't my day for the matchup.

I played two Metaknights last weeks tourney and out of 4 games bewteen them 2 stocked in 3 of them.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Azen has experience in the match up, hes played at least 50 matches with me, probably closer to 100. Mostly doubles, but some singles.

Tenki

Smash Hero
No, Donkey Kong is supposed to be the Snake counter.

but lol if DK takes Snake and Diddy takes MK.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
NL beat me both matches, although they were very close, but he also 2-0d infernoomni, and 2 stock ***** him one game I heard (from omni), and took Azen to 5th game, but the match Azen went MK he lost by 1 stock low %. There's a high chance Diddy has the advantage in the match, but it could also be an issue of matchup experience. I think it's at least even, maybe Diddy's favor because of NL's **** performance.
/thread

Diddy kong is a pretty even match up with metaknight imo, its all about experience and how you play it.

HMD

Smash Journeyman
really cuase coudln't they just come to the diddy fourm

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
NL has decent MK practice in NY thanks to Shadow.

M2K do you have Diddy practice?

Match-ups are judged when both characters are played to the fullest and both players have extensive knowledge of the match-up and know wtf they are doing in it.

If M2K has no idea wtf to do in the match-up how can you judge it?

As he said himself match-up experience is certainly an issue to take into consideration.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
oh gosh... m2k... emblem lord... what brings you to our humble forum? can i get you a banana split?

Martial

Smash Apprentice
Diddy placed.
Heh, this is true. I liked it better when no one knew that Diddy existed. :(

Anyways, on the matchup: both Diddy and Meta are incredible at punishing opponent's mistakes; however, Meta has a whole lot more options during the match as to how he can decide to play (in my opinion). Also, while Diddy's offstage game is amazing, Meta will definitely be gimping Diddy at much lower percentages than Diddy will gimp him. On the other hand, Diddy can absolutely shut down Meta's ground game, and Meta's slow horizontal air speed (coupled with the fact that, IIRC, Diddy's fair outranges Meta's) generally prevents him from approaching with the same comfort that he can afford in most other matchups. I'd call it generally even, maybe with a slight advantage going to Metaknight.

ADHD

Smash Hero
The matchup is in metas favor by a bit. He can just dair your rocket barrels, try to spike metaknight, and watch the shuttle loop magic. He's so hard for diddy to gimp, and if he has your nanerz, he's such a god **** pain. It won't be long before metaknights start figuring out diddy kong.

Esca

Smash Champion
Metaknight has no counters. The only counter for a metaknight is a better metaknight. If there's anything near a counter, it may be Diddy Kong. This is going to be really simple information, but all you need to do is space yourself. Just single nanner the whole round. Don't pull out 2 and try to be fancy. He can just grab it. All you need to do is single nanner, and when you hit him and he trips, grab him. Or work combos from the glide tosses. GT forward to fsmash. It works. GT forward to bthrow, regrab nanner and repeat. It's not that hard to beat a metaknight guys.

Esca

Smash Champion
Metaknight has no counters. The only counter for a metaknight is a better metaknight. If there's anything near a counter, it may be Diddy Kong. This is going to be really simple information, but all you need to do is space yourself. Just single nanner the whole round. Don't pull out 2 and try to be fancy. He can just grab it. All you need to do is single nanner, and when you hit him and he trips, grab him. Or work combos from the glide tosses. GT forward to fsmash. It works. GT forward to bthrow, regrab nanner and repeat. It's not that hard to beat a metaknight guys.

****, I'm sexy.

CY

Smash Ace
i bet you can't beat my MK. -_-

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Maybe over b's grab priority can go through some of MK's attacks and you could hump spike him then try to hog.....

Yeah, bad idea, but I think over b vs MK offstage might be capeable of grabbing him out of attacks.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
MK has no counter...and yet NL ran though Omni, M2K (who hasn't lost in forever and has certainly run into other characters he hasn't had experience fighting, and won), and Azen's MK. Some of it is match up experience, but for right now, that still makes Diddy counter MK, cause no one has Diddy experience. You can say the whole "played to the fullest" thing, but its about how things are right now, not how they will hypothetically be in a year (in which case, I'd still put Diddy over MK, considering MK has a lot of room to improve/develop).

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
more importantly, did that guy just double post quote himself as being sexy for something "smart" he said?

...*facepalm*

Esca

Smash Champion
No, lol. I really didn't know what i did. I went to edit it, and it quoted myself, and i didn't feel like pushing back.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
MK has room to develop?! O_o

His Metagame has been stagnant up until the cape glitch was discovered.

And now it's stagnant once again.

All there really is to develop is match-up knowledge for MK. I really don't think his moveset allows for the growth that other characters do, simply because his is very straight forward and already very effective.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
MK has room to develop?! O_o

His Metagame has been stagnant up until the cape glitch was discovered.

And now it's stagnant once again.

All there really is to develop is match-up knowledge for MK. I really don't think his moveset allows for the growth that other characters do, simply because his is very straight forward and already very effective.
I'm pretty sure he ment Diddy.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Well he said that MK has room to develop soooooooo.

Anyway, lolz. I don't think Diddy counters MK at all.

Lack of match-up knowledge counters everyone.

Top Bottom