• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

W.I.F.H.--- Ike stage/Match up guide

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Where I Fight for my Hommies.​

Well this is my contribution to the Ike boards. The first part of this guide describes the build up of the stages and what Ike is able to do in them and them alone. (Or in very few stages) The second part would be a match up organized stage by stage and far from being completed. Now there is a big chance that I messed up on this so I'm hopping everyone contributes. Even if what I have is right maybe you have a better idea or something that works to mix up Ike's game more so every post is appreciated.

Now what I hope to do with this thread is discuss all of Ike's possible tricks that can be done in stages or glitches to look out for like the Blast aether blast off, but the main discussion should be match up's against characters. I will actually focus on one character for about a week so I can gather some info on them. If anyone remembers Versatile's thread then you should have an idea of what I am aiming for seeing as that thread had to be the one with the most progressive, intelligent, and active discussion.
Table of contents

1. Info on this guide.
2. Table of contents.
3. Ike on stages and stage Bio.
4. Match up's
5. Leaving feedback.
6. Credits.

Starters

FINAL DESTINATION

CONFIRMED: February 5 2008

Bio: Ahh the most “neutral” stage of all too some people. I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with them against some people this stage can get horrible advantages over others and the edges gimp people like wolf who's recoveries are hard to aim.

What to do:
Well there isn’t much to do in this stage. It’s easy to get chain grabbed and against Ike it’s easy to camp. Don’t get grabbed might actually be good advice here because a good Falco can easily take you from a chain grab to a spike with out anything to stop him. Try and get close to your opponent from the start seeing as this stage is completely flat anyone with a projectile will be able to limit your approaches with out requiring much skill (and you will get spammed by the people with that lack of skill). The lip of this stage can get you off guard sometimes so learn to reverse Aether so you can get a bit more room when you try and recover from the inside of the lip. Your throws can be pretty good for setting up edge guards here since they don’t have much knock back they can be used to set up a Fair or an Aether spike.

Vids:

BATTLEFIELD

CONFIRMED: May 22 2007

Bio: This is what a neutral stage is supposed to look like. Platforms to avoid camping, edges that help you recover no hazards. This stage seems to favor a lot of people (or at least the ones I bothered to look up) so even If you have a slight advantage on this stage it’s not reason to take it easy.

What to do: well if someone is firing off lasers arrows or anything I hope you are smart enough to jump over them. The platforms here allow you to control this stage fairly well. Your U. tilt, U. smash, and even F. smash can hit people standing on them. A short hopped U. air hardly takes any aim it reaches from one end of the platforms to another. Then there’s one of my favorites a short hopped Bair. Its fast has, has long reach less lag than your opponent is going to get from shielding it (unless they perfect shielded) and it can be redone with right away since it’s an SJR. Even though you have a few options to choose from when attacking people above your head they don’t always work the good thing is that your giant sword has a good chance of pushing them off the platform and leave them open to some punishment.

YOSHI'S ISLAND

CONFIRMED: June 12 2007

Bio: Well the stage is similar to Yoshi’s story in melee. Instead of three platforms there’s only one that flip flops positions every time you hit it and it covers pretty much half of the main stage. On the sides ghosts come up at a not so random time I believe. They usually come out at one side of the stage then the next when ever someone is sent away from the stage it doesn’t matter to witch side. They can sometimes save you or help your opponent edge guard you and vice versa.

What to do:
The stage is relatively small so it’s not that hard for you Ike to take control of. Of course there is a pretty big problem since this stage can gimp you. Make sure you always aim for the ledge if your opponent is right by the edge of the stage. If you try to Aether back onto the stage rather than the ledge your opponent can shield it and you’ll get sent off to the side of the stage. You can recover from this but it may but you in a position to get gimped. The ghosts that come around the sides can be used as platforms to help you get out further into the stage and at that distance your Fair can kill them at like 50%. When you get launched up and are coming back to the stage you can aim for the ghosts as well if your opponent is just waiting at the edge of the stage. This gives you back your 1st and 2nd jumps if you already wasted them. The platform is around the same level as ones in battle field when the match starts out. Your U. tilt and U. smash can reach over it in this form. Once it slants one side becomes even low the center stays at the same height and the other side becomes higher. Since the platform is big I suggest doing an aerial instead of going for the U. tilt and U. smash because you can cover more room that way.

LYLAT CRUISE

CONFIRMED: June 22 2007

Bio: It’s a bit similar to battle field three platforms no hazards how ever there are more differences than similarities. The platforms are almost all on the same level and like half the size of battle field’s. The stage isn’t completely flat either, the edges are slanted downwards and probably the biggest difference is that the stage it self tilts back and forth as it maneuvers trough space.

What to do:
Well this stage has the same problem as Yoshi’s island if your Aether gets shielded while you’re trying to land on the edge of the stage you’ll get sent away. You can get stuck under this stage too so you have to aim your recovery well. The platforms in this stage are even lower and smaller than the ones in battle field so you can apply some of the same tricks on them as you do on battle field and they may even work better sometimes. The stage tilting and the slants at the edge may change the way some of your attacks can work for example if the stage tilts your Fair could end a bit earlier than you wanted but that’s hardly a big deal. The kool thing about this stage is that when it moves it can stop some projectile spamming being used against you.

Videos:

SMASHVILLE

CONFIRMED: July 13 2007

Bio: The main stage is just like battlefields. It’s flat and has nice edges that can help you recover since you can throw your sword pretty much as far as you want and get onto the stage. The platform can be used to get away from some a projectiles and it can help you recover or edge guard at others.

What to do:
Well the stage is pretty simple not to big either so camping isn’t a problem. The platform on the top can let you get away from some laggy moves since it can carry you away from harm. Another good thing about the platform is that if your opponent is waiting to edge hog you at the ledge you can aim for the platform instead. You could even go ahead and QD onto it if your opponent is on the ground and not ready to edge guard you. The bad thing is a lot of characters can take advantage of this stage a lot more than you which I will cover later on.

Vids:

Counter Picks

BATTLESHIP HALBERD

CONFIRMED: September 12 2007

Bio: I personally love this stage. For some reason I just have a lot of fun in here maybe it’s because of all the things going on. You start off in an army base type thing then quickly take off. If you aren’t on the stage at this time it’s an instant death. This stage has 2 forms a small neutral one with a passable floor and a nice platform on top. Then it has the deck of the battle ship where you are shot with giant lasers, canons, and claws.

What to do: Well at 1st try and keep your opponent off the main stage for an easy K.O. unfortunately there’s no easy way to do this but hell if you mange to pull it off good for you, you already have a 1 stock lead and its only been 20 seconds. The passable floor gives you some more options to recover and those slants at about 1/4th of the stage allow you to slide a bit when you land making some of your opponents attacks miss if you aether trough the bottom. If someone is spamming you at the edge you can run to the middle and just duck. Sometimes they just stand there not knowing what to do and after a few seconds you can quick dash and grab them or do a jab cancel to D. tilt (and brag about it). The next part is pretty big. Try and stay on your opponent if he’s trying to get distance between you to spam. Your counter can help you out against two of the hazards so its pretty kool if you stay close to your opponent so you both get hit and he ends up dying while you are unharmed. The giant laser can be used to edge guard just make sure you don’t get sent off the stage when the thing stops following you and die cause of it. The edges are strange they seem like they would push you like the ones in Smash Ville but they don’t if you aim your Aether wrong or send it in the wrong direction. If you are under the ledge Aether away from the stage and keep moving till you get next to the ledge.

BRINSTAR

CONFIRMED: January 7 2008

Bio: Brinstar makes its return from its melee days. The center of the stage can still be destroyed splitting it at around 3/4th the platforms at the edges are also attacked by some type of tissue thingy and can still be broken off to give them a steeper slope and one part higher altitude. All in all the stage is still pretty much the same only thing that has changed is the acid which actually helps out people with bad recoveries.

What to do: Not much you can do except try not to get burned. The platforms are set up weird out side of the stage so you can’t really attack under them which is where Ike has a good chance of owning. The platform above the stage is too high so you have to double jump to reach it. The kool thing is that you may get saved from some gay gimps by the acid. This actually goes well with the passable floor since it can position you at a weird angle that your opponent won't be able to guard against.

CASTLE SIEGE

CONFIRMED: August 2 2007

Bio: Another movie stage. This one follows a basic pattern though. 1st you fight above a small tower with 2 ledges and some lips at the sides. If you stand at the center of this stage where the slant is you can just automatically die (seen it happen to captain falcon don’t know if it’s everyone). While the stage changes it becomes a flat walk off. The 2nd part of the stage is also a walk off with two breakable platforms and two regular ones really high up. The 3rd form of this stage is my favorite. It’s basically like FD but with out the lip, a small bump in the middle and it tilts around.

What to do: The first part of the stage is easy to take control of. Spamming isn’t much of a problem since you can either duck on one side of the stage or just jump onto the platforms. You shouldn’t really do any of these though because the stage is so small you can just dash and hit them. The platforms are low so your U. tilt can hit over them fairly well. The K.O. zone is also really close by so killing you opponent is pretty easy at this part bad thing is it doesn’t last long. The 2nd stage is a walk off which is actually good for Ike as long as he isn’t facing a chain grabber. Do an F. trow to dash attack if you’re at the edge Fair if you see them start jumping to dodge this. Since your fighting at the floor DI upwards you have a lot of distance to travel before you die. Now the last part is pretty simple. It’s basically FD + Lylat movement. Not much to do really except fight mano a mano. If you just killed your opponent try and build up some damage fast so you can kill him at the low roof that’s coming up again.

CORNERIA

Bio:
Its back the only stage to be in every smash game. I actually liked its original form better because it was out in space and it was the size it should be. I have no idea how Fox, Falco and the rest of Starfox fit in side this thing. The stage seems pretty simple at first but the fin adds a lot to it. You can pull off some tricks with it by using the invulnerability frames when you grab onto its ledge. And it’s pretty much the best wall to do infinites in the whole game. It’s full of slants to the only flat area may be right in front of the wall. This stage may end up banned because of the giant wall but it’s still allowed in some places. The biggest thing this stage has is the smallest border of all. Some characters can die at like 50% from a tilt if you’re in the right place.

What to do: This stage is great for Ike all the slants let you get away with Aether. The blastoff glitch (I think that’s what it’s called) might happen on both ends but it’s not like you’ll be recovering too often. Since the death zone is right behind you. Well let’s start listing what you can pull off. At the back of the wall you can perform an infinite. It’s easy to set up you can B. Throw them or F. Throw and then just run up there and keep throwing them till your D. throw can kill them. The ledge on the fin is good because you can Aether up there to get away from some combos and then drop down and B. air or F. airs them. Another kool thing is that if they are standing right by the fin you can jump there and whack them with F. air. Sine the roof of the stage is so low fighting on the fin will get you some early kills from U. tilts and U. airs.

DELFINO PLAZA

CONFIRMED: June 1 2007

Bio: We now arrive at the 1st stage with a passable floor. It allows you to recover some different way and hit your opponent while you recover. The stage starts off as a possible neutral but quickly changes and introduces factors that can be taken advantage off. This stage has everything except hazards. Platforms, walls, walk offs, water, a great view and its weather is perfect for long walks on the beach.

What to do: Well let’s just get this out of the way. Don’t try and ledge hop QD to get onto the stage. You will fail horribly and I will laugh at you. While the stage is moving from one location to the next you can pass trough the main platform so you can try and Fair some people then Aether up to the stage. The platforms are generally high so it’s hard to abuse them like on other stages. The good thing though as that every once in a while you get a nice low on and the umbrellas in one of the stops can probably be reached by your jab. The stage has some walls where you can build up to about a 100% with Ike’s infinite. For some reason I’ve heard that some people can infinite with the umbrellas. Don’t know if they are talking about the wall or if I was just high at the time but I’ve never seen it happen if anyone has a vid please show me. Try and sneak in an F. tilt as the stage is changing so they bounce off the wall as the stage moves up. If an opponent falls into the war chase them and start spiking them all they can do is DI left or right so you’ll basically get a free kill once you build up there damage. If you are fighting at a walk off try don’t get grabbed (duh) and Ftrow to dash attack can push them off the stage at like 30 % probably.

DISTANT PLANET

CONFIRMED: January 15 2008

Bio: This stage is all pikmin the colorful flowers with numbers, spaceships landing and taking off, green grass, giant lady bug things coming to watch you fight. However almost everything in this stage serves in two ways. The giant bug watching you isn’t just for you to stand on or get saved by every once in a while its actually looking for its lunch so don’t act to friendly towards it. The flowers actually provide items getting bigger each time it rains (not sure if a bigger number means more knockback and damage). The platforms actually start sinking if you stand on them (they are leafs after all). And that slanted hill on the left fills with water that drags you faster than jungle japes.

What to do:
This stage is really nice for Ike the flowers give you a projectile which helps out with camping. It’s actually hard to camp in this stage though because of all the different levels. You can go right by the edge or under there feet if you want. The main platform is a passable so it gives you a few more options to recover and if you can make it to the right ledge of that vine? Then you can probably make it to the ledge of the hill. Just be careful when you try and go trough the middle of the stage because the floor is actually higher than it appears depending on where or if your opponent is standing on it. The bulbor that comes from the left can save you sometimes and I have no idea what triggers it because I can stand there till it decides to leave sometimes. If someone knows please tell me so I can fix this lol. Another nice trick to do is if you see you opponent trying to get back up trough the stage, go for a D. tilt and send them right back down. Now for the platforms, I personally don’t like being on them since they fall down to the floor level after about 3 seconds. Its kool when your opponent is on them though because Ike ***** under low platforms hell you can hit them with what ever you want maybe even a D. smash D. tilt if they stay on long enough.

FRIGATE ORPHEON

CONFIRMED: December 18 2007

Bio: This is the 1st Metroid stage that doesn’t have lava in it. However it is not missing its craziness. This stage started the flip-flop upside down trend that hopefully ends with spear pillar. The right side of the stage doesn’t have a ledge instead there’s a moving platform which can rise at any given moment and leave you to die. The right side has a tiny lip which isn’t usually a problem. When the 2nd form of this stage has 2 edges a platform in the center and two on the sides (or one) that come out of the boundary of the stage interchanging sides. The good thing about this stage is you get a warning when its going to flip over and you can jump into the air as that is where you are affected less by it.

What to do: This stage is pretty bad for Ike the right side of the 1st form doesn’t have a ledge and Aether needs ledges so you don’t get F. smashed in the face. The moving platform on the right may save you sometimes but it will screw you in the back just as much. When you think you’re going to recover the platform starts moving up and you fall hopelessly to your doom. The left side is better off like always Ike performs great under platforms. The bad thing is this has a tiny lip so make sure you don’t press towards the stage to much when you are using Aether to get back up there. The next form is a bit better for Ike you can duck to dodge some projectiles and the platforms that come at the sides can save you from some gimps. If your opponent is dumb enough to chase you there grab him and hold him a bit then do a B. throw so the platform can take him away. If you’re ahead on stocks you can just hold him and die together. Even so this stage is not good for Ike and the multiple jumpers will give you trouble.

GREEN GREENS

CONFIRMED: March 13 2008

Bio: This stage is pretty simple three sections separated by either empty space or blocks and two platforms in the center of the stage. There are a total of three things that can affect you and two of them come out of that tree. One is the that the wind might mess up your spacing when it moves you during attacks but if you get used to it you can space even better since you would be able to do an attack from far away and slide a bit. Next are the apples that drop down which can be used as items or heal you around 10% it actually varies. The last hazard is an actual threat though, if the bomb blocks pile up they can take you from 0 to 60 with one miss aimed jab and kill you at mid percents. Last thing worth mentioning is that the walls are really close to the stage but the roof is pretty high.

What to do:
This stage is great for Ike. Getting kills in this stage is as easy as Corneria so Ike can get some easy kills thanks to his strength. The apples help you out a lot because a simple jab combo can add more damage than what your opponent could heal. If they are the item apples you get a projectile and they allow you to start attacking from further away which is something people aren’t used to Ike doing. The platforms are low enough to be hit by U. tilts and U. smashes with out having to jump and since they are pretty small you might just push them aside into the path of a falling bomb which can add up good damage, kill or spike them down. Another nice thing to do with the blocks is grab someone F. throw then F. tilt the blocks so they can blow up and build up damage or another easy kill. Something to be noted is that if you are right by the blocks and you throw your opponent into them you will get dragged down along with it.

HANENBOW

CONFIRMED: March 26 2008

Bio: Wtf is electroplankton? I never heard of this game and some how it was popular enough to get a stage in brawl. I would rather have gotten some stages from melee and 64 but o well games out to late to change anything. Something you can probably tell right away is that this stage has no actual floors and water. Everything is platforms and the water doesn’t actually stop you and let you go for a swim. The platforms shift positions every time they are hit and turn darker as they gain more damage. If you turn all of them red in a tree a flower will pop out for a short time since those purple things heal them.

What to do: This stage is simple and really nice for Ike since its all platforms with ledges. The platforms are low enough to be reached by your attacks and can sometimes get even lower if the top platform is slanted down and the bottom on is slanted up you can hit anyone above you with almost anything you want. The high platforms allow you to be able to reach some people who you already sent flying and get an early kill you can definitely chase someone up the top left corner. Make sure you remember that the water doesn’t allow you to swim like delfino does.

JUNGLE JAPES

CONFIRMED: March 13 2008

Bio: Jungle Japes has gotten a big chance due to the fact that you can swim now. For some it’s easier to recover and for others it screws them from behind. The Klaptraps swimming around can deliver a 1HKO since its one of the two real spikes in brawl. The stage is shaped like Green Greens except it only has one platform in the center.

What to do: This stage is actually pretty good for Ike as long as you stay away from the left side so you have a chance to recover if you fall into the water. You can pull off some QD tricks with the ledges in here just like Falco and Fox do to get behind your opponent or get away from an edge guard. The center platform is good also since its pretty low and not to big. If your opponent is on either side he might end up falling off and giving you an opening.

LUIGI'S MANSION

CONFIRMED: Febuary18 2008

Bio:
finally a stationary stage that doesn’t change. Or at least that’s what it seems like at first but as your fight goes on you’ll find your self turning this stage in to FD. The stage consists of three levels, the roof and the 1st. It has floating platforms at the sides and 2 in the center. The pillars can be used to block or delay attacks and the bottom ones will last for ever if the ones in the 2nd floor are still standing. Once you destroy all four pillars the stage will be completely flat but don’t worry in about a minute the haunted house will wake up from its grave and rebuild its self. Only thing to watch for is that you can get stuck under the stage if you go too far. Last thing this stage has is the ability to regenerate your moves. By hitting the pillars you can degrade some moves you don’t use often like D. tilt or hmm… (I’m out of ideas) *runs*

What to do:
This stage is pretty easy to take advantage off. Not much room for your opponent to move so and your Fair basically covers the entire hallway. Learn to tech because it can save you from some gay combos or from a smash attack at 463% (highest I’ve gotten to). The pillars stop projectiles for you so that’s one worry off your mind. If people decided to stand on the platforms in the center you can jab them right out of there. Sometimes you opponent is dumb enough to fall on the top level and leaves him self open for a U. air which is a really nice thing to do. When you are recovering you can aim for any level you want maybe you’ll even be able to use QD if your opponent is waiting patiently at the bottom. The stage covers a big portion of level so you can pretty much make it to the edge of the stage every time. If you’re having a hard time killing your opponent after you build up his damage try and destroy one side of the house and send him flying.

NORFAIR

CONFIRMED: November 9 2007

Bio: This stage is the only one of its kind it has 6 ledges and lava coming from every side. From underneath, left, right, behind you, the only place that doesn’t shoot out 40 foot waves of lava is the screen you’re looking trough. Not to worry though none of the 4 hazards can kill you if you’re careful and they can all be easily avoided. If you’re caught off guard and at the wrong moment and time you can die though so don’t let your guard down.

What to do: This stage is not liked by many but if you learn your way around it you can get quiet an advantage. The rising lava helps you recover and saves you from some gay gimps and it doesn’t have much knock back so you don’t have to worry about dying till like 100%. The wall of lava that comes from the sides isn’t that big of a problem either and if you learn its knock back you might be able to do some things like B. throw to U. smash. Going into the capsule when the lava wave is coming from the back might not always be a good idea I would rather spend my time attacking my opponent while he is busy “fighting the stage”. The only thing you should be having problem with would be the spurts of lava when they come one after another.

ONETT

Bio:
This is a pretty fun stage to play in IMO. It has 6 platforms all over the place; two are on the tree two on the drug store one on the yellow house and the flags above the blue house. The only hazard here are cars that run you over every 15 seconds none of them actually kill you though because even if you miss a tech in the walls you’ll just bounce around unless you Died upwards. There are walls all over the place but none can really be used to infinite as the cars come by too often. The only wall where you could be infinite against is the one on the yellow house if you get caught on the platform. This would be a nice neighborhood to live in if the drunk drivers where taken care of.

What to do: This stage is pretty nice Impossible to get gimped since it’s a walk off. The walls allow you to chain grab for a while and if you time it right you can throw them right before the car hits and shield. If you can’t get that down right then you can just take he hit if they are at high percents already. The ledges here aren’t like in other stages where you can just U. tilt and it will hit or push them into an opening so don’t try it to often. Last thing there is, is that you should use the ledges of the houses to your advantage to get some invincibility frames then drop down for some B. airs.

PICTOCHAT

CONFIRMED: October 22 2007

Bio: Starts off fairly simple a flat stage with edges that slant outwards after about 15 seconds though you find out that this stage is everything but flat and normal. Drawings start to appear some which can be dangerous and others just add platforms. There’s 5 transformations that can hurt you some of them can even kill you at high percents. A few of them add walls, one of them blows you to the left, and others change the ledges. It is possible to use some of the transformations as protection if you are in between two walls.
What to do: This stage is so crazy and it can be taken advantage of if you know what to do. Probably the easiest way to take advantage of this stage is when the piranha plant is drawn you can use your throw to get your opponent hit by it. Counter can stop you from bouncing around everywhere if you happen to land on some of the hazards as well. A few walls pop up so try and get a chain grab going for a while. Grabs are pretty important in this stage and a lot of characters can take advantage of that more than you. Last thing to watch out for is the ledges as they can glitch Aether so be ready to jump again.

PIRATE SHIP

CONFIRMED: April 1 2008

Bio: At first this stage seems like rainbow cruise and it actually is. You start off in what seems to be a normal stage then after a bit you start running into problems a big exception how ever is that you stay on the ship during the whole ride instead of seeing it sink to it’s doom it just keeps on going whether the weather decides to send it miles into the air or pirates start attacking the ship. There actually quite a few hazards in this level and some are dangerous which is why you may see it on a ban list often. The most dangerous one has to be the actual ship because it can run you over and spike you down (it’s the 2nd real spike in brawl) for a 1HKO. After that it’s the catapult at the front of the ship which is easy to avoid but if you get caught off guard you may end up dead. Last thing that can kill you is the pirate outpost that shoots canon balls at the ship aiming to hit you. A few other things that happen in this stage is running into a island that changes the battle field a bit, getting launched into the air, and a small sail boat tagging along behind you. None of these are actually a problem though.

What to do: Don’t stand in front of the catapult, don’t get blown up, don’t get run over by the ship, and don’t fall off while the ship is in the air. Now that that’s out of the way lets move on to how the stage helps Ike and what you can do in it. First off you can’t really get gimped because you can choose to fall strait down after you recover control from the knock back of a hit, land on the water, and swim back to the stage. If your opponent falls into the water go for some D. airs once you land one you pretty much got a free kill since the only thing they can do is move left or right just make sure the same thing doesn’t end up happening to you. Grabbing an opponent when the bombs are being fired at you can get you a cheap kill if you throw them into the explosion, of course the same thing can happen to you and Ike’s range isn’t all that great.

POKÈMON STADIUM 1

Bio: This was one of my favorite stages in melee it changes from time to time so if you ever feel like having a 99 stock match this is a good stage to go for. The stage starts off fairly simple with two platforms and not much else. Two forms of this stage have walls that you can pull off infinites on. Another has a nothing but platforms and the last one is the worse. It has a spinning wall that allows camping. The only thing that stays in this stage trough out all the transformations is the strange ledge it has. It’s a lip that you can easily get caught on a millimeter away from the ledge.

What to do: This stage is pretty nice the lip doesn’t affect you as much if you learn how to deal with it. Ike can move in the air at the peak of Aether so even if you’re inside of it as long as you let go of the control stick in time you’ll grab on. Some of the stages allow for wall infinites on a few characters. Since the fire stage has a ditch right in front of the wall some characters are able to get out of them. Not much to do besides that the other stages have some platforms you can abuse with U. tilts and U. airs and that’s already been covered so hopefully you’re reading the whole guide.

POKÈMON STADIUM 2

CONFIRMED: September 6 2007

Bio: At first this seems like they just gave PS1 a paint job and a few new lights but you’ll quickly find out how different it is. Some of the transformations mess with the games mechanics, one of them makes you fall slower another has a slippery floor just like summit’s. This stage is a lot crazier than its predecessor it doesn’t just add platforms and walls.

What to do: This stage is pretty good for Ike except for a few transformations. The electric stage is pretty the worse one as the conveyor belts can cause the Aether blast off glitch with out being shielded. The win stage is good for Ike since his disjointed hit box helps him out everywhere. The earth stage has nothing going for you but platforms but nothing against either. The ice platform might help you out if you know how to space since it lets your attacks slide and reach further than you normally would. As for the neutral stage it’s the same as P.S.1.

RAINBOW RIDE

Bio: When I first saw this I said “hey check it out a new stage. Wait wtf this is the same as rainbow cruise.” It actually is and I didn’t really think that. Just like before you start off on the boat (which came out of nowhere I don’t remember this in 64). This part of the stage has a wall to get infinites in and that’s pretty much all there is to it. Eventually the ship crashes onto some checkered platform and sinks to an airy grave. From here it starts scrolling towards the top left. You can ride some carpets so you don’t have to jump from platform to platform. After you get onto a walk off area where you can just run along with the screen (or get chain grabbed).

What to do:
Quit life. It’s basically your best option as this is the worst stage of all for Ike. The ship is fine it has a wall where you can infinite till the ship sinks but the rest of the stage is horrible. First off there’s no ledges so while your jumping around if you need to use Aether you’re a sitting duck. The next part is a walk off so you can get chain grabbed to death and if you aren’t careful you may get caught under the falling blocks since all the characters have giant mushrooms compared to melee.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Match Up's
Vs​
........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Snakes stage thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=181505&highlight=stages

Match up:
I’m sure that everyone can agree that Snake is one of Ike’s difficult match ups. Snake has as much or more knock back than you in most of his attacks and they have less lag than all of yours, he has a good projectile game that can really hurt Ike as it can be kept pretty random by cooking the grenades and dropping Nikitas in front for you or behind. Not only that all the bombs he has allow him to take control of the stage. Snakes stage control revolves around him setting up his mine and C4 in places that limit your movement like edges or platforms. The edges are no big deal but on platforms it limits Ike’s already limited approach game. Most of the time a Snake will plant the mine after he gets a kill so if you want you can use your invulnerability to blow it up. I would suggest doing this is if they are on platforms since you wouldn’t have to go all the way to the end of the stage or if it’s on a platform like Smashville. You can do it on the edges too but once the snake realizes your doing this he can just charge up another mine while you’re on the other side of the stage. Since Ike can slide with his shield though you could just use that to blow it up even rolling can activate with out much trouble just don’t get put in a position where it blows up in your face. Snake will be trying and keep you away and not give you any time to get your act together.
Snake stage techniques: This is list of what snake can do in stages that are pretty universal.
• Platform D. throws: Since snakes D. Throw just lays you down on the ground it leaves you open to some tech chasing. This might actually be the throw that racks up the most damage in brawl I actually never check the damage they give but this one has quite a bit
• Platform F. smash: Snake’s F. smash has a hit box that reaches under ground a bit so when he does it off the edge of a platform he can hit people under him especially Ike since he is a tall character.

What to do: Since snake is going to be using his projectiles to keep you away and build up damage you should be trying to get close to him and not give him room to breathe. Getting him into the air has to be your best bet as his aerials don’t have as much priority or reach as yours. They do however have knock back so don’t get hit by them and die his B. air is the most noticeable killing aerial. Once you get snake off the stage he will probably try and escape you by going really high up then dropping a C4 to get you off balance and give him self room to get back on the ground. On the ground watch out for his mortar spam, this might be one of the few places where counter is actually a good option if you see he tries to do it from afar but I doubt a good snake actually will. Over all try and stay close to him and as far as possible at the same time since his reach is quite long too. Don’t perform moves that are to laggy because he can get F. tilts in fast if he shields your first jab of the AAA and you don’t shield he can F. tilt you.

Starters

Final Destination: This stage is pretty simple which kind of sucks since you have nowhere to run from snakes projectiles. At least he has to face you but since his priority is as good or even better than yours it won’t matter. Snake will probably set up his mine and C4 on the edges if he is big on stage control. If not he’ll probably only use the mine and leave his C4 for recovery. This isn’t a big deal since Ike isn’t going to be running away and the stage should still be big enough to dodge his grenades and mortar slide. If you want to get him off the stage go for the side with the mine then just do a sliding shield to blow it up. Although it may have vanished by then since it doesn’t last long.

Battle Field:
I believe this stage favors snake more than it does you. Neutral stages are pretty much good for everyone which sucks because this stage is really good for Ike. Snakes U. tilt can reach above the platforms just like you and it’s the same for his U. smash (duh). Snake can take control of this stage easily since the platforms are low and Ike is a tall character the C4 and remote mine can hit you if you’re standing under them. Place these on the platforms limits your aerial game which is how you are supposed to be approaching him. This isn’t the only thing he can do though he can actually place a C4 under the platform that he set up his mine and when he decides to blow it up it will great a wall of fire that reaches from the floor to the top platform. There pretty much only one way to deal with him and its getting close and keeping him above you so you can juggle him to a high percent then try to kill him with an Fair or Bair off his cypher.

Yoshi’s island: This might be the only neutral stage that Snake doesn’t excel in or maybe it’s just not as good an option as the other stages. Even so the platform can get low enough to have his C4 and remote mine blow up in your face while you walk by especially if the platform is tilted. The stage is small so there isn’t much room for him to run however his mortar slide gets him across the entire stage so try and counter of shield grab him out of it. Once you do stay close to him. This will be a pretty long fight since most of Ike’s hit can be D.I.ed to send him up wards the roof of this stage is pretty far. If you do manage to send him down keep him there with meteors hopefully he doesn’t tech them off the stage. If the ghost is there get close to him and try to land a Bair which can get him to the blast off zone.

Lyalat Cruise: *Asterisks* Another stage with platforms that snake can abuse as much as you, actually even better because these have 2 layers and some empty space between them so his remote mine is completely camouflaged by it so keep your eyes open and remember where he left it. If he tries making a vertical wall of explosion like on battle field then it’s probably above the C4. This stage also has a huge boundary so getting a kill may take a while unless you can land a spike on his cypher. Just keep juggling him to build up damage and then try to land some good B. airs.

Smashville:
*Sigh* another stage that snake can take control off easily. The moving
platform really screws you over. Snake can plant his C4 and remote mine here creating a moving K.O. move. This limits you a lot because you not only have to watch out for Snake but also the approaching and retreating explosives. Doing this also limits your recovery and edge guarding since you can freely jump onto it. Not only that but it helps him edge guard since you have to aim for the ledge. The best advice I can give is to quickly take control of the fight by stringing attacks together.

Counter Picks

Battleship Halberd: Well according to Kirk this seems to be the best choice for counter picking against snake. It’s harder for snake to edge guard you where if you are hanging on the ledge since you can jump off and recover from underneath, this isn’t advice able at low percents though because Aether does leave you open for a bit which can get you a F. or U. tilt from Snake. Because of it being pretty easy to recover from this stage and if you learn when the stage is going to land like Rykoshet you can be risky when you are edge guarding and use QD to make it back to the actual ship. The platform is pretty big so D. throw isn’t a problem like it is in others just take your time and roll the best way you see fit. From underneath the platform both of you can abuse it pretty well so watch out for that just try and stay under it not on it unless you are using it as a stepping stone in approaching. Lastly would be to watch out for where the C4 and remote mine are placed in the neutral section because you have less room to move about. You might end up getting stuck on the edge of the stage if he sets up a wall of explosives like he doe sin battle field, If you can grab a grenade and throw it at the mine or C4 that will solve the problem.

Brinstar: Well this is another stage that seems like it would be good for you but unfortunately it allows snake to pull off quite a few mind games. The Fake C4 works well and since the floor is black and the stage it self is pretty dark it’s hard to see the C4. So once again keep your eyes open if he tries it. Something that snake might try is edge guarding you with a F. smash. If you are at the right ledge and he is on the platform above you he can use his F. smash to hit you as you walk up so make sure you roll or drop down and Aether him. Last thing would be that snake can chain grab you at the orbs on the stage if you get stuck. I’ve only seen it done to Wario and after a bit of testing I think it doesn’t work on Ike but if someone can confirm this for me I’d appreciate it.

Castle siege: Well I really have no experience against a snake on this nor have I seen anything written about it so I’ve no idea what to talk about besides the general things.
-1st form- Well the platforms here are extremely small (like the whole stage) so getting grabbed there could lead to some D. throw chain grabbing which can rack up damage fast. Besides that there isn’t much to do edge guarding might be easy if you get snake low enough to do it because you won’t have to jump too far out.
-2nd form- Hmm… I imagine that this stage would be pretty good for Ike against snake the platforms are wide and destroyable so you can escape D. throws on them easily but if snake is abusing them more than you just destroy it when you have time. The walk off blast zone might lead to some cheap kills like F. throw to dash attack on your part but same can be said for snake if he grabs you at like 80% around there you’ll probably die.
-3rd form- Just like FD I don’t have any advice besides the general things listed already.

Corneria: **** this is going to be a short battle. Two super power full characters fighting in a stage with a super low roof. Try not to fight snake on the fin because his U. tilt is faster and packs a bigger punch than yours. Camping on the right side of the fin might not be to easy either because he can use his mortar, Nikita, and grenades to hit you down there. You have a bit of room to move around but it would be best to throw him down first and follow. Watch out for a B. throw at high percents if you are fighting behind the fin though.

Delfino Plaza:
IMO this stage can be pretty even or even in your favor. The water is a clear advantage since snake’s spike is harder to land than yours. The platforms differ in size so watch out for some D. throw chain grabbing. Since the platforms move around C4 and remote mines might change place so keep your eyes open. The walk off blast zones can be abused with F. throws to dash attacks or F. airs like always. Once again though don’t get grabbed near them at 70% or higher as it you will die.

Distant Planet:
**** another stage that Snake and Ike both do well in. Well first off keeping snake above you on the platforms won’t be such a great idea this time around. Since Ike is so stall (curse them growth spurts) snake can U. tilt or stick you with C4 as soon as he lands on the platform. So be ready for that and try not to get sticked, you can shield the U. tilt but I would recommend rolling. A good thing going for you are the items that come out of the flower. You can use these to blow up the remote mine if Snake has been using it, hit his grenades if he shield grabs them or just hit him while he is spamming you some projectiles. Some thing Snake can pull off would be F. smashing while the platforms drop so keep your eyes open (I say this so much you might as well stop blinking lol). Over all this stage might actually be good enough for you to counter pick though as long as you watch out for snake sticking you on those platforms and if you can abuse the items well.

Frigate Orpheon: This stage is bad for you in general and it favors snake in this battle big time. Due to the lack of a ledge on the left side of the first form this leaves you wide open to his stage control. He can easily set up a remote mine on the moving platform then a C4 at the edge of the stage which will blow you up with out fail unless your SA frames kick in. The platform on the right can be abused by both of you and its actually pretty big so it may be easier to escape his D. throw tech chasing. The next part is a bit more even both of you being able to abuse the platform. The platforms on the right actually help you out more because you can jump out and smack him out of his cypher. Plus Snake doesn’t actually use those to save him self since he always recovers as high up as possible so he doesn’t get edge guarded.

Green Greens: Another stage that may be good for both of you but the good thing here is that the blocks offer some brief cover from the grenade spam. The blocks here actually help you out a lot if the snake is into shield grabbing his grenades and you manage to catch him cook the grenade by holding him a bit and then throw him into a block so the grenade can explode along with the blocks and him. Since its not a problem for snake adding damage the healing apples won’t do much but the item ones give you a way to counter his grenades too. If you are good at aiming you might be able to hit a grenade with them when snake throws it so it just bounces off and blows up in his face. The platforms have the same universal tricks as always for both of you so keep your eyes open.

Hanenbow: Crap. This stage allows snake to hit you with almost anything if the leaves are in the right position. Just like in Distant Planet he can stick you or use hi U. tilt in some cases when you are in the platform under him. The multiple ledges give you more recovery options but once again if the leaves are positioned right he might be able to edge guard 2 of them at once hell maybe even 3 with his mortar. What goes on in this stage is basically all situational though so you might not see any of this happen. A good thing about this stage though is that if you send snake flying towards the left you can reach him in his cypher as he recovers and send him right back.

Jungle Japes: This stage will favor snake right off the bat because of the water. Snake isn’t affected by this unless you spike him and unless you did it on the left side he can escape it with his cypher. Since Ike’s recovery usually works by moving trough the air then using Aether to get back up the water affects you a lot. This might be one of the few stages where QD is actually a better recovery than Aether. The platform in the center can be abused like usually by U. tilts from both of you and with explosives from snake. Snake can do a F. smash on the ledge on it and probably on the side ones too so watch out for that.

Luigi's mansion: This stage would seem to be a good counter pick at first look because of the pillars helping you out and all but the bad thing is that the roofs can be abused by Snake’s U. tilt so badly you might rather play with a wii remote than continue the torture. Even if you tech it he can still hit you since it comes out so fast and you can’t really do the same thing because it’s the speed that really allows this not the reach it has. The roof also leaves no room to dodge his mortar slide so unless you’re fighting on a higher level or at the edges expect a lot of it. Over all the small corridor just favors snake more than you because of his speed and explosives and the pillars don’t offer much cover like against others.

Norfair: This stage is good for both snake and Ike too. Since its all platforms snake can D. throw chain grab you anywhere on the stage until he messes up his tech chasing. The good thing is that all the ledges allow you to blow up some mines set up or better yet is that you have more ledges to recover with so you can avoid the explosives and snake if you feel like it. When the wall of fire from the sides come about try not to get grabbed because Snake’s throws can get you to it for some easy damage. Can’t really think of anything to add here except that maybe if you knock snake off in a low angle at a low platform you can use the top ones to reach him in his cypher.

Onett:
The things that can be done on this stage is pretty much like every other platform stage except times 10. Ledge rolling can be used to donate a few mines if they where placed in the wrong spots. If you land outside of the houses you will be in a bad position. Snake can use mortars, grenades, and Nikitas to keep you at bay. Besides that the general advice is all that’s left abuse the platforms and watch out or things blowing up in your face.

Pirate Ship:
This is perhaps another stage that can give you an advantage if you know how to abuse the things here. The good thing about the bombs in this fight is that they may mess up snakes stage control by blowing up the mine and C4 or by blowing him up lol. The best thing going for you here though is of course the water. Unlike in other fights though you can’t use Aether spiking to get him back into the water and then go for a D. air so if you get him into the water I suggest waiting at the edge and hitting him back since him being on the cypher makes him a huge target. Once you see an opening go for the D. air or maybe a D. tilt if he is in the air.

Pokemon Stadium: Alright since I’m reading stuff on stages for snake as I write this let me tell you. When the match starts some Snakes will try and do a quick F.smash on the platform so don’t take off after him immediately that way if he does do an F.smash you might get a U.smash in. Another thing Snake may try to start with would be a S.H. C4, drop under the platform, and place a mine. This creates a wall of explosives and if you get stuck between it and the edge you’re in a bad position. Your best bet to get out of it would be to jump see if he does an N.air if he does F.F. jump again and QD across.
-Fire stage- only things that I can tell you to watch out for would be camping on that branch between the platform and the wall of the tree because a C4 on the other side can hit you and if snake grabs you by the wall he can chain grab release you unless you break out of the air. ( I haven’t tested this but you might be able to just jab him before he can grab you again lol.)
-Water stage- the things snake does in this form revolve around the windmill of platforms. Snake can stick a C4 on the windmill so there will be a moving bomb till it falls off; keep your eyes open so you don’t get surprised when it blows up under your feet. The other thing he does is approach with out walking with the windmills momentum like charging an F.smash while he moves.
-Rock stage- I’m just going to go ahead and pull off a CK here as it is very well explained in Snakes stage thread and I couldn’t have done it better my self.

I'm gonna use this as a diagram to show where exactly I'm talking about 'cause I'm lazy and lack enough motivation to use descriptive words:

See where the O is? That's Snake. The X is where his Fsmash explosion is. If any opponent is camping inside that small area then they can prepare to be barraged with Fsmashes.

For stage control you can shield drop grenades and C4 plant on the various platforms near the rock wall. Otherwise, it's fairly easy to dthrow tech chase on any of the platforms.

Now, the T symbol represents the area near the edge where you can't roll out of it. If you manage to catch yr opponent in a grab while in this area, you can keep them in a "lock" so long as you don't get hit out of their wake up. If they roll or stand up, downthrow. I would shield to just ensure you don't get hit out of the wake up because being caught in that area can cost them a whole stock. :"}

If yr opponent is camping on the left side of the rock wall, you can C4/nikita drop/throw grenades downwards for easy %s. That way you are completely safe, and given that the opponent has pretty much only one way to move (up) it's fairly simply to keep them at bay using this tactic.

In the center area where the X is, if you and yr opponent happen to both get caught down there, you can either dthrow to continue dthrow, or like the fire transition wall, mash Z until they are released and regrab. Personally, I'd go for the dthrow to deal more % more quickly.
-Grass stage- Well the only things you have to watch out for here is pretty much the same thing that goes on in every platform. Getting D. Thrown in the platforms is always bad if they don’t shield just try and hit them. The tree platform allows F. smashes from snake to hit you and if he places a C4 there it will show up on the right platform of the neutral stage and vice versa I believe. This might be the best transformation to get a clean fight in if Snake has set up his stage control for the neutral form.

Pokemon Stadium 2: Time for part two. The neutral stage is pretty much the same except you don’t get stuck under the ledges now. They are actually a bit more like battle field’s except that they are steeper so you can’t throw Aether as far out as you want.
-Earth stage- Getting caught on the top platform will lead to some D. throw tech chasing from snake even if you manage to drop down he might be able to re grab you and continue on the next platform. Besides that all you would have to watch for would be getting grabbed up against the wall although I still think that you can jab before snake grabs you again.
-Air stage- Well this stage actually helps out Ike against snake if you can get him into the air because snake doesn’t have such a great defense up there same with his manly over powered tilts. A few things to learn would be the speed at which his projectiles fall so check his stage thread for that.
-Ice stage- This part is actually just as useful to you as it is to him, well it would be except that his attacks are affected a bit better by the ice than yours. A sliding F. smash is possible for both of you if you do it with the joy stick but yours has more start up lag than his when you reach the charging position of the attack. A good thing here might be that if you can predict this you might be able to get a counter in, and that’s going to feel awesome. It should be obvious that his mortar slide can reach all the way across this stage but if he does try it from the other side of the stage you can probably land an F. tilt on him.
-Electric stage- It seems that people are actually afraid to go into the conveyer belts sometimes but you should learn to use them as well as snake does. They can be used to approach faster with a dash attack or get some extra distance in your rolls. If you don’t go into this area it will be very easy for snake to D. throw you, a lot of people just stand or attack and end up getting 70% added to them just because they won’t move. Last thing that snake might try would be to set up a C4 on the platform and keep grabbing you till it explodes.

Rainbow Cruise: This stage is bad for both of you. No ledges for Ike but since it’s a moving stage more than half the time Snake can’t set up his stage control and Snake is bad in the air. This comes down to who has better control in the air and as long as you don’t jump into an N. air or F. air from snake you should be fine.

Vs​
........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Falco's stage thread:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=172023&highlight=stages

Match up:
If you just won with Ike there is a good chance that you will be counter picked Falco. He has to be 1 of Ike’s 3 worst match ups, Falco’s way of fighting is just Ike’s kryptonite.
His laser is probably the 2nd most annoying projectile against Ike. SHL (short hop lasers) stop most of Ike’s approaches so you’ll have a hard time approaching. They are also a save way to edge guard Ike if used well. It is very hard to get around this as shielding/ side stepping will only block the 1st laser and get you hit by the one following it. Something everyone should be well aware off is the chain grab. Now good Falco’s won’t go out for it and for get about everything else but it is there and if given the chance it will be done against you. D. throw isn’t just a chain grab though it is like Ike’s jab. It can set up a variety of moves like U. smash U. tilt. D. air. The chain grab can be done to Ike up until 45% if it gets done more than that it’s your mistake, close to the ledge it can lead very easily into a spike so spam your tap jump if you use it or Aether as it can break out of it and get you back to the ledge fairly well. Falco’s main kill moves are D. air, U. smash, F. smash, and B. air. D. air is done after a chain grab usually so you already know how to take care of that. B. air is a sex kick which means that it has a stronger hit box at the start of its move then a weaker one that sends you in the other direction the rest of the time. Falco’s boost smash has insane distance in it but the good thing is Ike is one of the heaviest characters in the game so you don’t have to worry about that killing you. F. smash is done when there is an opening so watch out for that and watch out for its sweet spot.

Recommended stages: Lylat Cruise, Norfair, Green Greens, Battle Field.
Stages to avoid: Smashhville, Final Destination, Jugle Japes

Starter

Final Destination: Thank the heavens stage strike is used more now, if you are in a tournament where they are allowing that then you shouldn’t worry about playing in this stage. But of course not everyone uses stage strike yet.
Fighting Falco on FD can turn this match up into a 90/10; it allows Falco to move around easily, Spam all day, and chain grab you at every turn. A completely flat stage helps Falco out in this match like no other. Last thing to watch out for would be that he can edge hog instantly from the center of the stage with his illusion attack. Unlike Snake he doesn’t have many tricks but the ones he does really stand out in FD.

Battlefield: Ok then this is better. Now you have platforms which are a great boon to Ike and help you out against projectile spamming. Falco’s chain grab can lead into the spike easier here though because of the stage being smaller but if you just spam tap jump or Aether you can make it back onto the stage easily and who knows you might get lucky and Aether spike him then get a really easy D. air on his up B. Falco’s up smash can hit you if you are above the platforms so watch out for that since his boost smash can travel quite far. Besides those two things Falco has nothing on you in this stage your high priority and close combat fights go hand in hand.

Smashville: Lots of people can agree that this stage is good for anyone but I think it would give Falco more of an advantage than you. The stage is flat and the platform can be relied upon to dodge the projectiles. If the platform is on the side Falco is recovering from he has a very good chance to make it back. Not only that but Falco spike you trough the stage if you are trying to ledge hop some attacks. Of course if it clashes with U. air or Aether it will probably get out prioritized.

Yoshi's Island: Another neutral stage that works better for you than Falco. The slops here often block the lasers, same goes for the platform here when it’s tilted. The ghosts here can give you some coverage from the laser fire if you are having problems but the same goes for Falco if you are pressuring him once you get up close. The wall of the stage here helps Falco out a bit since it makes his firebird easier to aim and cover small horizontal distance then start going vertically but his ^B can always be easily spiked.

Starter/Counter Picks

Castle Siege: This stage might be a bit tricky. The 1st form is pretty good as he can’t spam lasers against you very efficiently. If he does you can just duck or jump depending where you are then take 2 steps forward and you’ll be with in grabbing distance. Depending on what side you are the slope will either hinder or help Falco’s chain grab, since the stage is so small it can lead into a spike easily but you might be able to pull off a Silven here so don’t give up if you get spiked. The next stage is a walk off so depending on whom grabs who 1st can get a low % kill. Of course it’s easier for him since he can get you closer to the edge. Being on the platforms in this part isn’t a smart idea as Falco’s quick jumps combined with his great aerials can get you in a bad position. The statutes here help against projectiles once again since they absorb attacks until they are destroyed. The last stage is just a combination of FD and lylat. The tilting may screw up his chain grab/lasers/ recovery but the flatness gives him the advantage since its move room for him to move around and run away.

Delfino: This stage hinders both of you in the same ways and gives advantages as well. The central platform of this stage can’t be landed upon with a ledge hopped QD and it may screw up Falco’s recovery in the same way. Falco can spike people back down who try to recover trough the bottom of the stage but since Ike throws up Aether first I don’t think it can be done to him. When you get to water parts its all up to who spikes who but since you have Aether you can set it up easier, at least off the stage if your still both on solid ground his chain grab can lead to certain death in here. Walk offs are in this stage at some points so just remember to watch out there. The walls here can be used for pseudo infinites as well (don’t know if Falco has an infinite or not.)

Halberd: This stage has a few things coming from the ones already mentioned. The slopes help/ hinder lasers/chain grabs. You can’t ledge hop QD onto the 1st form of the stage that flies around the halberd. I believe Falco’s U. smash can hit from underneath the platform so watch out for that since he can slide very far. Not much else to say if you can get the laser thing you aim for the ledge when he is off the stage then Falco is put in a very bad position as you can just Fair his illusion back off the stage.

Lylat Cruise: Woohoo if this stage is on the starter list aim for it. Chances are that Falco will strike it first though since it actually qualifies as a counter pick. The tilting can seriously hinder Falco’s recovery, some people go as far as to call it gimping which is awesome for you because you can get lucky and get a free kill. The tilting also hinders his lasers by either stopping them with the floor or making them go up to high. Same thing happens to chain grabs. Platforms are once again low enough for him to hit with his U. smash but you can hit with everything you have under them as well.

Pokémon Stadium 1: Not sure how well this stage qualifies but I believe it is better for Ike than Falco. The platforms in this stage get the general attention but the ledges are a bit different. Like I’ve mentioned before in this guide there is a tiny lip here but since Ike can move a bit during the apex of Aether you can get around it while Falco will just fall to his death. The lasers here are stopped by transformations with walls how ever Falco’s shine still goes trough this so watch out for it.

Counter

Brinstar: This is probably a very good Falco stage. The acid in the level does help Ike’s inferior recovery but it also gets him into the air so Falco can start juggling back and forth with spikes and Bair’s. The destroyable objects here also cause hit boxes to linger especially with multi hit moves. Not much to say in here beside Falco being able to juggle you easily in this stage since aerials are more affective in these platforms than hitting under them with super steroid enhanced moves.

Corneria: More slops yay! Of course there’s the usual hinder/help stuff in here depending on how you react to dodging things. The real jewel though is that low *** roof and super close boundaries. Falco gets a bit of a boost from this as well but he won’t be killing at 80% because of it. I’d say this is a good counter pick against him but I could be wrong since I don’t really have an idea of what Falco can do here.

Distant Planet: This stage is quite big so Falco can use his laser to an advantage jumping around from platform to platform since this stage is divided into 3 main areas the slope, vine, and bulbor. He can also do some illusion tricks with the ledges which can get annoying especially if you are above him. He hit trough 2 of the platforms above the vine. Eventually you can get a projectile as well thanks to the items but he has a reflector so it limits some of there uses.

Frigate Orpheon: 1st form hinders both Falco’s and Ike’s recovery so who ever is coming back to the stage is at a serious disadvantage. The platform in this stage has a good bit of room but Uair takes up most of it so you can still hit form under it efficiently. The platform moving down and up can allow for a very short chain grab like 2 or 3 at most. The next stage is slopes once again and another wide platform. Just like halberd’s 1st form but you can ledge hop QD onto the stage. The platforms coming from side to side may actually save him from one of those firebird ledge hop spikes.

Green Hill Zone: o boy slopes and walk offs now. Pretty bad stage for Ike against Falco since he can move around easily around this stage. Falco can use his laser to hit the bumper from far away so camping there isn’t such a great idea but once he is under there you are going to get lasers to your face until sunrise. The break away center of the stage only helps Falco camp more so stay away from this stage.

Jungle Japes: Another great stage for Falco. More illusion tricks with those ledges and perfect stage for laser spamming since he can just hop from side to side with out being punished. The ceiling on this stage is incredibly high as well so the best way to land a kill is trough the water current which for Ike means big trouble, also means a grab = death on here. Very bad stage against Falco and it is very well ban worthy.

Luigi's Mansion: Ok then this is better, the pillars here will shield you from laser spam if you ever need a break and some time to think. The stage is completely flat though so its easier to land chain grabs might not be able to lead to the spike though thanks to the pillars but I’m not 100% on that. Platforms in the center can be hit by almost every attack you have so that’s another boon if Falco lands on them, plus I think if Falco is chain grabbing you then they might just save you.

Norfair: This stage is in the ban as Falco list and it’s a pretty nice Ike stage so this could be another good counter pick especially since a lot of people dislike this stage. This stage is nothing but platforms so his chain grab is very hindered, same with chain grab to spike thanks to the lava and the multiple platforms to recover from. You should never die from a spike at the top platform since you should be able to break out and reach the bottom one. Laser spam is very annoying in this stage since it allows many people to run away thanks to the many ledges of course you could wait till the lava corners him. Over all it’s a good stage as a counter pick since the lava helps you build up damage and land kills.

Pictochat: Completely flat at first giving falco the advantage but the many transformations shift this stage from one side to the other. The walls will stop the projectiles if Falco is playing cat and mouse, they also allow for temporary chain grabs. The hazards can be taken advantage of by both characters with Ike’s jab and Falco’s D. throw follow ups. Some things help Falco out a lot like the wind and springs since it make for laser spam heaven.

Pirate Ship: Another good stage for Ike against Falco. The tilting here blocks some lasers once again and the water is awesome for cheap spike kills. Aether is a better set up than Falco’s D. throws but he can also use his Bair to stage spike you under the water then finish you off. Not much else the platforms here are pretty tall so he can take advantage of those better than you can but why would you want to be on a platform? Watch out for all the stage hazards and try to use them to your advantage.

Pokémon Stadium 2: I’d have to say this is a pretty bad stage against Falco. The air and ice transformations give his moves a good boost. The ice stage will hinder Ike’s movement allowing Falco to spam lasers with out being punished too much, it also lets his boost smash travel across the entire stage. The air stage simply lets Falco juggle you like hell till it transforms back to normal. The electric stage is good for close combat but I hate those conveyer belts and they also cause the Aether blast off glitch. The rest of the stage can be abused equally by both of you.

Rainbow Cruise: Horrible stage for Ike not such a great stage for Falco. You can land an infinite in the boat but the rest of the stage will really suck to fight in since you’ll spend move of your time jumping around. Falco being a bird and all will have a better time in this stage so keep away from it.

Yoshi's Island (Pipes): Slopes/walk offs again so remember what can happen with those. The real nice thing in hear is the block platforms. Up throws and Dthrows can chain into other moves when used under them since your opponent will either tech it or just bounce back down. If you tech chase efficiently you might be able to land an F. smash.

Counter/Banned
Green Greens: Very good counter pick. Small stage made even smaller by the blocks surrounding the center stage. This stage is perfect for close combat and the blocks block projectiles. Eventually you can projectiles as well evening the playing field even more, you can actually use them to bait Falco’s laser and punish him afterwards. Very close boarders as well so Fair can kill as early as 60%. Falco’s laser can be used to blow up bomb blocks but why would you be next to one with Ike’s huge range.

Mario Circuit: Bad bad stage. 4 walk off areas and a high platform that you can’t take advantage off very well. If you are at opposite ends when the cars pass from the back of the stage towards the screen then Falco gets a very good opportunity to build up damage with his lasers. If they are going trough the top track then it will put you in a position to get juggled.

Onett: Lot’s of walls and low platforms to use like they always are. This stage is a walk off but you don’t have to worry about that as you shouldn’t be grabbed behind those buildings. The cars can be taken advantage off if you are throwing Falco over and over against a wall by quickly jabbing him the putting up your shield right before the car hits. Boundaries are pretty close in this stage as well so say high to easy damage and early kills.
Port Town Aero Dive: Bad bad stage. The moving platform has no ledges so it can lead to death or being juggled by the stage then Falco. The cars are also incredibly annoying and Falco’s D throw spike follow up can get you killed at 40%. I just hate this stage in general so I can’t write a very good summary.

Skyworld: This stage can be very meh. Being very far from the bottom both recoveries may not be good enough to save either character. The floors of the stage cause hit boxes to linger of any move that reaches the ground. U tilt juggling can be a huge problem or advantage in this stage it can also lead to a stage spike trough the clouds then to come regular D. air or D. tilt spikes. Not much else going on here this stage is usually banned and I doubt a Falco will bring you in here as the stage revolves around close combat.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Leaving Feed back: As I said in the opening post I want to get discussion on this thread. So what ever you see wrong or that needs improvement feel free to post it. I'm not sure what character to start discussing first so if anyone wants to nominate one go ahead and do it. I won't even mind if you have a stupid suggestion or idea go ahead and post it just don't go crazy with no your wrong Counter is Ike's best move, F. smash is the best killing move in the game, Ike is a beast he has a huge advantage over DDD and Falco. It doesn't matter what opinion you have just remember it's not a fact and listen when other people tell you other wise you so can learn more about Ike and his match up's.

Credits:

Help with stages:
Versatile
Silven
Empy <--- cause of the guide he wrote.

Help with match up's:
Versatile
Kirk
Catfight <--- awesome snake thread

Grammar/Type O's:
Mystickenji
Rutger

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I glanced over it and I must say that it looks amazing. The Snake Match up looks really great and I can't wait to see other characters.

I think I noticed a small mistake in Frigate Orpheon.
What to do: This stage is pretty bad for Ike the right side of the 1st form doesn’t have a ledge and Aether needs ledges so you don’t get F. smashed in the face. The moving platform on the right may save you sometimes but it will screw you in the back just as much. When you think you’re going to recover the platform starts moving up and you fall hopelessly to your doom. The right side is better off like always Ike performs great under platforms. The bad thing is this has a tiny lip so make sure you don’t press towards the stage to much when you are using Aether to get back up there. The next form is a bit better for Ike you can duck to dodge some projectiles and the platforms that come at the sides can save you from some gimps. If your opponent is dumb enough to chase you there grab him and hold him a bit then do a B. throw so the platform can take him away. If you’re ahead on stocks you can just hold him and die together. Even so this stage is not good for Ike and the multiple jumpers will give you trouble.
I believe you mean the left side, that is the side with the platform.

But yeah, the Snake match up looks amazing. Great Job Arturito_Burrito.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^Thx I'll fix that.

I think I did mention it on halberd since I talk about the little slants helping your aether slide maybe I just worded it wrong so it doesn't look like I'm talking about going under the stage. As for the brinstar one I did forget about. I actually realized it while I was working on snake's match up but guess I forgot to add it thx.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Most places I know actually consider delfino and stadium 1 neutrals. You can also aether through delfino, however aethering through the stage is honestly one of the most telegraphed maneuvers there is. You should also point out that those 3 stages, the fallthrough ones, are immune to ledgehopped quick draws, you will fall to your death because you wont actually get on top of the stage.

My personal counterpick faves are halberd and castle siege due to familiarity with the landing sequences and pokemon stadium 1 due to walls appearing even temporarily. Of the neutrals my favorites are pokemon stadium, delfino, and battlefield due to its proximity. I'd recommend steering clear of yoshi's island at all costs unless you just happen to really like that stage, nothing it provides (slanted surfaces, tilting platforms, an easy way to kill ike with just as much as shielding) is useful to him.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
dang I was hopping that this would have more conversation going on while I was gone but I'll go ahead and add that I think I did it for some of them at least. As for the neutrals I just went ahead and got them from the stage legality discussion thread so I would rather keep it like this for now. I'll fix it one a official list comes out.

Well I'm going to go ahead and make the next guy in the match up section Falco so If anyone wants to gives out some tips on that or post what counter picks you use against him I would appreciate it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You could take some of the stuff from Empy's guide. Also feel free to take what i said about match ups ;)

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if you knew this and didn't put it in the guide or what, but snake has a problem if he recovers close to the stage. If you grab snake while he's coming up with his cypher and just auto release, he can't use his cypher again, and if snake has a c4 planted on the stage already it can be a low percentage easy kill, and if he uses c4 to recover, it's a good bit of damage. Now most good snake's know not to do this but everyone makes a mistake sometimes, eh? Nice guide btw.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
^I did know that but If he is coming close to the stage he is an open target for D. Tilt so after a bit of discussion I went ahead and deleted that part because the guide is already huge lol I'm not sure I added the D. tilt part though I'll check tomorrow kind of tired right now. 10k words and its only covered Ike and Snake.

@ Ussi. I'm actually looking at a ton of guides I looked at like 7 snake threads that talked about what stages are good for him and which aren't (there's not many) I looked at empy's and kirk's guide while doing the Ike section I'll be sure to look for your posts on match up's when I get to those characters too thx. mind saying a bit about Falco though because I don't think you talked about that.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Falco... I'll need to get back to you on that. I barely fight Falco's. I'm gonna go on a falco hunt on Thursday. (tomorrow and wednesday i'm busy) Be back on Friday with some Falco stuff.

Edit: Just remember that A lot of Falco's are grab happy. You can bait the super grab happy falcos into grabbing but missing you. Then you counter attack. But smart falco's don't seek the chain grab. That just do it if you let them or find that opening. You can spike thru Falco's Up B which is why he'll always recover via side B. Plus his side B has more distance. His spike from chain grab should NEVER kill you since you can meteor cancel it pretty much right away at the damage you'll be at. You might get a Silven Moment too =P (refering to his Ike gameplay Video)

Falco's Kill moves are his fsmash, usmash at higher %s, bair, and his spike, dair. Bair is Falco's best aerial. Some Falco's use it to just damage you therefore they just lost a good kill move and have to damage you higher. fsmash has a long distance but its sweetspot is more closer to him than out.

Watch out for dash attack > Usmash. Dash attack will cancel into usmash and you'll take quite some damage. Laser's are a problem but if he is aiming for your head just duck. then Jump over his next shot cause it'll be to hit you when your ducking. Then its a mind game on whether your ducking or jumping, but be sure to advance in the process =P.

Fair does well in outreaching him. Nair also does good since Falco's either try to get you away from them or roll. I'd save bair as a finisher/edgeguard. And don't QD, he'll spike you out of it. Aether spiking works well on this guy.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Good **** dude nice to finally see it up. ^__^

BTW, the orbs CG can work on anyone. Doesn't matter the character, so long as they are positioned correctly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-V0tGaSEw

Although, it CAN be interrupted if there are orbs that have been broken and they regenerate as it would offset the CG and allow yr opponent to roll or get up in an odd way.

d snyde

Smash Apprentice
Castle seige is a good place to play as being Ike. (well at least for me)

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
glad you found it on your own cat fight.

D snyde that doesn't really contribute as anyone can come in here and say ___ stage is good. you should try and elaborate more on your opinions other wise I don't have much to work with.

FuRy Smash

Smash Cadet
wow great thread. we just need to now expand this to all the characters in the game, or just the ones that matter like mk, ddd, dk, falco, gw, and so on.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Luigi Matchup ****

Character profile: Luigi is known for his powerful juggling and decent KO power. As his brother, he got fireballs as a projectile. But their limited effectiveness (they travel slowly and cause low damage) conclusively makes Luigi a close-quarters combatant.

How he will be playing: Although lightweight, Luigi is much faster than Ike. He will use his “short hopped fireballs to tornado” or his sliding Dsmash (which can poke under your shield) for approaching. If the tornado or Dsmash connects, they will throw you up where he can juggle you. Missed Aethers, Fsmashes, QDs, and other laggy moves can be punished severely with Fire punch. He may also use Fire punch out of a jab combo or in the air for early kills.

How you can fight back: Spacing is the key. With spacing you can prevent Luigi from countering your moves and prevent Fire punch KOs. So make sure you hit your attacks with the tip at all times. Remember that his fireballs are only diversion and look out for his tornado, if you shield it, the ending lag is enough for you to grab him or (depending on the distance he travelled) hitting an Ftilt. He can only perform his sliding Dsmash while he is walking, so watch out for that too. Also, his recovery can only travel horizontally or vertically and gimping during his recovery moves execution is easy.

Statistical analysis

Survivability: Much lighter than Ike, Luigi can be knocked off stage by 70% and KO’ed by 100% (from the center of Final Destination, using Ftilts). As mentioned before, his recovery moves leave him very vulnerable.

KO potential: Luigi moves have decent knockback overall, but his finishers are Fsmash (which can be angled), Nair and Fire punch. Their reach is very limited and requires Luigi to pressure and chase his opponent. Luigi doesn’t exceed at gimping Ike, as attempting to interrupt Aether can potentially get him killed.

Combo potential: Good. Can hack up to 60% if the Ike hasn’t spaced himself appropriately and kill if chained successfully with one of his finishers. Remember to air dodge and DI away from Luigi after been thrown into the air.

Range: He has good range for a close-quarters combatant, as his limbs stretch dramatically during his attacks. Not in league with Ike though.

Maneuverability: Luigi has a very good aerial and ground acceleration, which are crucial for spacing himself for juggling or applying one of his finishers.

Final analysis
**** (four stars), or slight easy matchup. Play smart and you have the advantage here.
Counterpick stages: Stages with roof prevent the use of Fire punch and you from be killed until at least 120%.

Ok, I propose we creating a measure of dificulty for the matchups so we can put Ike in the Brawl matchup chart. Here is my system suggestion:

* (one star): Hard matchup
** (two stars): Slightly hard matchup
*** (three stars): Even matchup
**** (four stars): Slight advantage
***** (five stars): Easy matchup
Also, I will work on a more detailed matchup against Luigi and edit this post.

Top Bottom