• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New up b tech?

Twintail

Smash Cadet
Hey, I don't post normally (I just lurk), but I thought this might be something of interest.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=HozfAf7LkWo

I was playing a match today and that happened right at the beginning, so I killed myself and saved it. I'm not sure how to do it again but I'm trying to find out how I did it. Not sure of all the uses, but thought maybe someone else could think of some. Anyways, I haven't seen this before and I'm not sure how to do it again, but it's interesting to say the least.

RichBrown

Smash Master
That was really cool! I think i might have read about something similar to this before, where if Olimar runs off the stage and uses upb he will latch in a similar fashion. I've definitely never seen this use before though. Right away the first thing that comes to mind is super easy stage spikes (if timed right w/ practice). It looks to me that you hit UpB a fraction of a second after you jumped. I'm definitely going to play around with this, nice find!!

asob4

Smash Champion
who needs to ledge hop now? :D
this can be quite useful if it lands lagless and can lead right into a smash attack

wow i really like this and i will actually go try to replicate it right now :DDD

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought this was known. >_> Power to yah if you didn't know about it. It's fun to do on the middle platform of jungle japes. You latch to the left/right platform and fall back to the ground.

thanks for sharing though. I never thought about it's tactical uses.

asob4

Smash Champion
the latch back to stage is known but i never cared for it
after i saw him shield RIGHT after
it got to me
so i decided to test to see what you could do with it
going right to a fsmash is too good

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I thought this was known. >_> Power to yah if you didn't know about it. It's fun to do on the middle platform of jungle japes. You latch to the left/right platform and fall back to the ground.

thanks for sharing though. I never thought about it's tactical uses.
I actually was working on a vid of those same techs.

Twintail

Smash Cadet
Is there any particular timing to it? I can do about 10% of the time, but if this has been known about I'm sure some of you guys have it down. Asob: I'm liking that :), this could potentially lead to some excellent mindgames... Does anyone use this yet in regular matches or just for show?

Edit: Scratch that last thought, I'd like to see it Hyde

asob4

Smash Champion
i really just want to perfect this so i can go right into a smash attack

the timing is weird as you have to jump, up b, i usually tap down to let go of the ledge, then DI towards the stage and go into any move thereafter

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
What should we call this? We need a name to refer to it. Chain cancel (CC) sound good?

asob4

Smash Champion
i actually kinda like chain cancel, since that's exactly what it does

even more mind games for oli >:D

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
sorry what I was referring to was platform canceling the chain. Happens on Jungle Japes but I'm sorry if I gave the wrong impression. It's similar but not like that.

Though when this does happen to me I find it some what useful.
I guess Chain cancel is fine. I just have been toying with somethings so don't get overly anxious.

although what happens is I get stuck back to the ledge when I tend to do the tech demonstrated in the vid. getting off the ledge would be nice.

Twintail

Smash Cadet
Chain canceling sounds about right, this is definately something that I'll have to perfect. So does it actually count as grabbing the ledge (edgehog style) or is it counted as a misgrab since you don't actually connect with the ledge? Because that might be a way to edgeguard without putting yourself in danger, although you'd have to get the timing perfect, with that you could edgehog anyone...

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
I did it on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) when the... blob guy pulled up the platform under me. Anywhere you latch but hit the ground with the chain out will do that. It's interesting at worst.

It's a valid ledgegrab, as far as I can tell.

Twintail

Smash Cadet
Whelp, if anyone else didn't notice this I found it's extremely easy to do if you b-stick. Although it's harder to do smashes right out of it, it's much easier to do everytime until you get the timing down.

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
Really though how do you do it? Jump and Up B? Jump forward and Up B???

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
Olimar has some strange things he can do on the ledge. Too bad most of them aren't useful. But they look good. Oh and hey Twintail.

Really though how do you do it? Jump and Up B? Jump forward and Up B???
i really just want to perfect this so i can go right into a smash attack

the timing is weird as you have to jump, up b, i usually tap down to let go of the ledge, then DI towards the stage and go into any move thereafter
A quote answered with a quote.

Twintail

Smash Cadet
Yep, it's tricky at first but I can now do it 75% of the time after a few minutes of working with it. Just push down on the control stick, jump straight up, up b, then DI towards the ledge. Afterwards you'll land lagless and be able to do any attack. After some experimenting I found that it will ledge spike, but I'm not sure if it counts as an edgehog as I have yet to fight someone using it, I've only used it against computers since I haven't got it down perfectly, but it will ledgespike, even if the opponent is not clinging to the ledge (when I was fighting a computer they ran at the ledge and even though they weren't touching the ledge they were still hit as though they had been ledge spiked). I found it's fun to do grabs straight out of it and go right into the textbook after your opponent gets a fresh life.

Oh and hey Jaded :)

Besides, this is one ledge technique that is very useful, situational (... kinda need a ledge...) but useful.

Top Bottom