• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Doubles Strategies (Snake)

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Seeing as we here in the Pit boards need something new and constructive to talk about besides singles matchups... I figure we can start talking about Doubles. Personally I find Brawl more enjoyable in doubles, and I think Pit is one of the best characters in the game to have on your team. He's really tough to kill and precisely aimed arrows can be a godsend-- interrupting enemy advances, setting up your friend's KO moves, knocking your teammate out of fallspecial so he can use his recovery again, and so on.

I find Pit pairs really well with hard-hitting characters that have low% KO ability... So Dedede, Rob, Bowser, Ganon, Luigi... all of them work well. Metaknight has never felt like a great teammate for Pit in my experiences, since all his moves are fast enough to work without Pit's help and don't generally have the killing power to make up for Pit's relative lack of knockback.

I think we can keep this thread more organized by focusing on one character paired with Pit at a time. I'll change it up every once in a while and put the highlights in the original post. As for general input, feel free to throw that in wherever, though try not to let it get too out of hand. :)

We'll start with Luigi, since I had a great experience teaming with one recently:

--LUIGI :luigi:
One team strategy I had a decent amount of success with this weekend was teaming with a great Luigi (TheMann). The hitstun from a well-placed arrow will turn an enemy advance into a quick jab+rocketpunch kill at some ridiculously low percents. We pulled it off a few times against both the second and third-place teams, nearly winning the both sets. I wish I had some vids to upload. -.-

In general, when paired with Luigi, wise use of grabs to set up rocketpunches and charged fsmashes will wipe out stocks like nobody's business, regardless of which character you're playing. Even though this thread is about Pit specifically, it's still good to keep this in mind.

So yeah, we may want to come back to Luigi later since it didn't seem like anybody else had too much to say. I'd recommend giving him a try as a teammate if you guys can, I think he's one of Pit's best pairings.

And now, since I have videos, we talk about R.O.B.

--ROB :rob:

Basically, to sum it up... ROB makes an okay teammate, but Pit is definitely a lot more useful paired with somebody with more killing power and less focused on projectile support. In a way, ROB and Pit are kinda the same thing, and having two of the same on a doubles team is usually pretty inefficient.

Okay... OS has the vids up, so you can watch 'em:

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs. Anther (Pika) Lain (G&W):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cRC2j4jVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBM7LGoLGU
*OS went snake for the third match. We did win the set, but I'll come back to that later*

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs. Sliq (Bowser/Wolf) Kel(Metaknight/Fox):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkUc-uzo5tk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXHRMq_ZV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jta5uu4_aw

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs.Tink (Wario/G&W) Dope (Wario) [Winners Finals]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiIVmJKJVes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M0eIvFi7Go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnE95j0r1HM

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs. Anther (Pika) Lain (G&W) [Losers Finals]:
*OS went Falco for a bit. We had trouble killing Anther so we figured we'd experiment with something else... It didn't go over so well and he went back tor R.O.B. for the last match*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohIODa5sq0U

I'll start off by saying, despite the success we had, I don't think that R.O.B. is one of Pit's best teammates. The problem is that both Pit and R.O.B. work best as stock tanks with projectile support. If you watch the matches you'll see a common problem that OS and I seem to have-- killing our opponents at decent percentages, particularly Anther and Kel. Both Pit and R.O.B. can kill, sure, but nothing quite so devastating as Wario's fsmash, G&W's smashes, any of Bowser's moves, or Pika's thunder (either the blue part next to Pika or off the top following an attack that put you up there). Many of the matches we won came down to 1 on 2 and the survivor camped like crazy (in a couple instances one of the leading team's members SD's trying to end the match quickly :laugh:).

R.O.B.'s projectile support can be both a blessing and a curse. Unlike Pit's arrows, his projectiles are difficult to aim in such away that they get around allies and pick enemies out of their attacks. The laser is great because it goes through everything without stopping, so it can act as a sort of "reset button" whenever Pit is getting overwhelmed, hitting Pit's attacker(s) as well as Pit to bring everybody back to a neutral state and give Pit a chance to regain his guard. When doing this, it's important to pay attention to damage counts and the charging of the laser, because it is possible to kill Pit or at least set him up for getting gimped if you're not careful. OS has a field day with this strategy sometimes, and though it may seem kinda stupid to watch, it's actually very helpful judging by how we performed when he was playing other characters (Falco, Snake).

Also concerning lasers... You don't see us utilizing the mirror shield for projectile mindgames much. One reason for this is because, even if a laser is reflected, it can only hit any given combatant once. So, if OS shot through an enemy and I reflected it, it would not hit that enemy again. It will pass straight through without hurting them. As for the gyro... we didn't actually try it, but seeing as the mirror shield doubles the speed, damage, and knockback of whatever hits it, mirroring a fully-charged Gyro to hit an enemy would be devastating if you could pull it off.

True team combos are rare in these matches... I wish I had more to say about those, but most of our teamwork revolved around projectile support and the occasional infinite alternating grab release. Perhaps we would have done better if we utilized grabs and weak moves (Rob's dtilt, jabs, pit's jabs) to set up kills with Pit's bair or Rob's nair, fsmash, etc.
yea i think pits bets teammate is a non projectile person who cant really handle his own. But I think Two Pits would rock!!
Yeah their gameplay doesn't seem to compliment each other very well. While they both are quite good stock tankers Rob would serve better in this position because of his weight and his more reliable recovery. .
is it just me or does your oponents survive to absurd %s for teams? anther although is just fab. but still i think someone with atleast potential killing power would be better for pit seeing as though he struggles on doing that himself. Rob is the same :/. so instead of filling up their own gaps instead they make them become more appearent.

I guess we're doing snake next, though I only have one video and since OS got scraped pretty bad it's kind of difficult to draw any insight from it...

--SNAKE :snake:

I'll post my video and whatnot in the thread and then everyone can discuss... If anybody else has doubles vids paired with snake, please share.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
How do you want us to do this? Just post our idea's on teams or some nice team combos?

Great idea for a thread though I think we should have a link to it in our guide.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Well... I guess you guys can just talk about whatever you want...

Or we could do a more organized approach and discuss each character paired with Pit one-by-one... Actually, let's do that. Since I already said some stuff about Luigi we can start there. :)

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
thats what I wanted to here you say. ;) I don't play with Luigi much so I think ill be sitting this one out then.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Lol, angel ring spam into each other at either sides of the opponents to the point where opponents can't get out. Then, get one Pit to stop and do a forward smash. ^_^

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
luigi is alright i guess.
anyway i dont feel doubles is anything special or anything. i find its just 2 1v1s on either side and the oocasional projectile help and switchoff of teamates. Pit retains stocks well. but with ff on it wont really matter since eveyrone is too chicken to actually double team anyone for fear of hitting each other

Doctor X

Smash Lord
luigi is alright i guess.
anyway i dont feel doubles is anything special or anything. i find its just 2 1v1s on either side and the oocasional projectile help and switchoff of teamates. Pit retains stocks well. but with ff on it wont really matter since eveyrone is too chicken to actually double team anyone for fear of hitting each other
No offense, but you ever wonder why some people just suck at doubles? :laugh:

sagemoon

Smash Lord
heres a general doubles advice, If you're in a situation where your team has 2 ppl on, and the other has 1 person on, then always infinite them by a grab. Have person A grab them and keep attacking the opponent as person B waits for the opponent to break the struggle, then grab when they do and do the grab attack, repeat this to about 160% and then just f-smash the opponent from the grab

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
i know but since that can be done by any two characters..combinations dont matter. also during the beginning all i see is two 1v1s if you can infinite with any two people. does it really matter your combination?

Yah i kinda suck at doubles. but i dont see it any different from 2 1vs1s besides the switching and occasional Grab and the other guy running over there for the upsmash

Doctor X

Smash Lord
i know but since that can be done by any two characters..combinations dont matter. also during the beginning all i see is two 1v1s if you can infinite with any two people. does it really matter your combination?
How could it not matter?

Yah i kinda suck at doubles. but i dont see it any different from 2 1vs1s besides the switching and occasional Grab and the other guy running over there for the upsmash
Even if this were the case, both of the 1v1s are occurring in the same generally limited game space and inevitably collide and interfere with each other.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
yes i guess so.
People you do not want for doubles are.. Iceclimbers and a very chaingrab based dedede.
btw my teamate is a snake and for the 1v1s i generally switch for certian matchups. forinstance if they have a gameandwatch ill let snake fight that one. Normally i fight the heavier cast because then my battle drags on longer and snake can come join me. and because pit 1v1s take more time Pits stock tanking is real useful. especially when it means more snake stocks that live to 200% ^^

sagemoon

Smash Lord
A 2v2 is a 2v2. If you get chaingrabbed then your partner needs to pay attention. It's never 2 1v1s unless you're a noob team

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
i said people who you do not want to be partnered with because they just suck at doubles.
i dont think there is a best team.
Obviously its not 2 1v1s but it often feels that way. there are perks and tactics. and obviously less room and more chaotic. maybe ithats just me since im not neccesarrily getting help from my ally who uses snake but rather me trying to help him.
and we arent a noob team OK! we do fine in aib doubles tourneys haha Jk

kown

Smash Lord
i said people who you do not want to be partnered with because they just suck at doubles.
i dont think there is a best team.
Obviously its not 2 1v1s but it often feels that way. there are perks and tactics. and obviously less room and more chaotic. maybe ithats just me since im not neccesarrily getting help from my ally who uses snake but rather me trying to help him.
and we arent a noob team OK! we do fine in aib doubles tourneys haha Jk
in your case snake is the stock tanker and your the attacker.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
snake is the everything. Im just the partner who tends to live for a longer period of time. + our match times are really different so. actually im more of the staller. I give snake a advantageous matchup so he can help me out on my harder one. Pit generally takes longer to kill because his moves are multihit and his recovery is more stable + pit is just a good staller period. He gets the lighter guy or the noobier guy. I get heavier or Better :(. if they switch. if they switch we switch ^^

kown

Smash Lord
snake is the everything. Im just the partner who tends to live for a longer period of time. + our match times are really different so. actually im more of the staller. I give snake a advantageous matchup so he can help me out on my harder one. Pit generally takes longer to kill because his moves are multihit and his recovery is more stable + pit is just a good staller period. He gets the lighter guy or the noobier guy. I get heavier or Better :(. if they switch. if they switch we switch ^^
while all thats true. snake is generally harder to kill because of weight. PLus i never see a snake in the middle of a battle hes always one of the end guys throwing nades and jabbing.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
We'll talk about snake soon, probably. He's a very popular choice in doubles. For now, I'm leaving it at Luigi... Hopefully I can get some videos, and depending on who I team with at MSOP3 this weekend, I'll have some more interesting stuff to talk about by then. :)

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
i know i was just clarifying because you guys are accusing me of having no doubles exprience T_T
Ok Luigi:
Luigi has alot of tricks in doubles. He has some of the strongest moves in the game (upB) (f-smash). however hoose moves need proper set-up which in doubles sounds easy to do but is generally hard due to partner interfernce. Luigi's weird gameplay style of stringing aerials is a great way to rack up damage but all in all his KO potential is what hurts him. One of his fastest and long range killing moves is his downsmash but to to his ability to side-step downsmash often Luigi users find it diminished for the KO. F-smash has horrible range yet comes out extremely fast so it is ideal for punishing. Upsmash is fast but it comes out from the back making running upsmashes suck IMO. Luigi because of this will have trouble KO-ing his own opponent much less helping pit KO his (which btw is a huge factor)
Interference: Luigi's ability to save your *** is OK-Good. His projectile is slow but his downB is fast and does low %s. His jab to wake you up (why is this here?) does minimal damage and his edgeguarding is pretty good. His recovery kinda sucks without the down-B boost seeing as it is horribly predictable and unpredictable! (sideBxcounter=bad!). Luckily you can help him out which pit enjoys doing ( Pit stop being such a angel! whens the last time you did something bad huh?) Luigi's Game is largely based in the air which is a blessing for You can fire straight arrows in the direction they are fighting.
Luigi is a good doubles Partner Matchup counter!. He is surprsingly good against some of Pits bad matchups (GaW, Snake, Wario) for the fact that he is too good in the air. Try to switch opponenents often it confuses opponenets and helps You live longer, Or shorter. for instance. If im Pit V snake, and hes Luigi v (insert crap ko character here...Metaknight!) (wait wtf snake+metaknight on a team what am i thinking???) then when Pit gets to around 100% switch off. dont let pit get uptilted when he can still cause some damage on the metaknight)
thats all i can think of for now peace

lil cj

Smash Lord
As a Pit and Lucas main
I think they make a great team
Both have similar styles
Where Lucas lacks, Pit makes up for it.
Arrows can heal Lucas
And they can work to together to edgeguard
Ex. when the opponent is off the stage Lucas can Pk thunder while Pit does his aerials or shoot his arrows...flawless.
And while Lucas is trying to recover using PK Thunder Pit can protect Lucas from getting gimped.
They can also do some cool combos together too
Ex. Pit using angel ring while Lucas Nairs
Like I said they make a good team:)

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
As a Pit and Lucas main
I think they make a great team
Both have similar styles
Where Lucas lacks, Pit makes up for it.
Arrows can heal Lucas
And they can work to together to edgeguard
Ex. when the opponent is off the stage Lucas can Pk thunder while Pit does his aerials or shoot his arrows...flawless.
And while Lucas is trying to recover using PK Thunder Pit can protect Lucas from getting gimped.
They can also do some cool combos together too
Ex. Pit using angel ring while Lucas Nairs
Like I said they make a good team:)
i doubt there would be enough time to heal ur teamate. its like the bucket fill theory, Great idea but its just to easy to thwart. same with edgeguard. I rarely see two teamates edgeguarding at the same time unless its 2v1. If so the regular edgehog rules apply, Player B ledgegrab Player a above charges a f-smash. although brawls ledgeguards arent the best some im kinda clueless on this one

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
yes i guess so.
People you do not want for doubles are.. Iceclimbers and a very chaingrab based dedede.
There's a reason why the Ice Climbers are bad in doubles. People make the mistake of chaingrabing, which always gets them killed because it's impossible to pull of in doubles. Who wants to watch their partner get chaingrabed to death?

That's not the main reason. It mainly because Nana gets separated too easily in doubles. Once off the stage, there's little chance that she's coming back. Most of the match is fought SoPo anyway, which limits strength and recovery.

I don't have much insight on Luigi other than he's strong in the air and can kill at low percentages. There aren't any Luigi users in my area.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I will be updating this, doing R.O.B. next, seeing as OS and I just got third in doubles at MSOP3 and I will likely have videos soon...

O.M.E.G.A

Smash Cadet
A good team for pit is probably with snake (:snake:) since snake has so many mindgames. pit has so many mindgames also so yeah... A+ team there if I say so myself.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Okay... OS has the vids up, so you can watch 'em:

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs. Anther (Pika) Lain (G&W):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2cRC2j4jVo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FBM7LGoLGU
*OS went snake for the third match. We did win the set, but I'll come back to that later*

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs. Sliq (Bowser/Wolf) Kel(Metaknight/Fox):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkUc-uzo5tk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXHRMq_ZV0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jta5uu4_aw

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs.Tink (Wario/G&W) Dope (Wario) [Winners Finals]:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiIVmJKJVes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M0eIvFi7Go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnE95j0r1HM

OS (ROB) Dr. X (Pit) vs. Anther (Pika) Lain (G&W) [Losers Finals]:
*OS went Falco for a bit. We had trouble killing Anther so we figured we'd experiment with something else... It didn't go over so well and he went back tor R.O.B. for the last match*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohIODa5sq0U

I'll start off by saying, despite the success we had, I don't think that R.O.B. is one of Pit's best teammates. The problem is that both Pit and R.O.B. work best as stock tanks with projectile support. If you watch the matches you'll see a common problem that OS and I seem to have-- killing our opponents at decent percentages, particularly Anther and Kel. Both Pit and R.O.B. can kill, sure, but nothing quite so devastating as Wario's fsmash, G&W's smashes, any of Bowser's moves, or Pika's thunder (either the blue part next to Pika or off the top following an attack that put you up there). Many of the matches we won came down to 1 on 2 and the survivor camped like crazy (in a couple instances one of the leading team's members SD's trying to end the match quickly :laugh:).

R.O.B.'s projectile support can be both a blessing and a curse. Unlike Pit's arrows, his projectiles are difficult to aim in such away that they get around allies and pick enemies out of their attacks. The laser is great because it goes through everything without stopping, so it can act as a sort of "reset button" whenever Pit is getting overwhelmed, hitting Pit's attacker(s) as well as Pit to bring everybody back to a neutral state and give Pit a chance to regain his guard. When doing this, it's important to pay attention to damage counts and the charging of the laser, because it is possible to kill Pit or at least set him up for getting gimped if you're not careful. OS has a field day with this strategy sometimes, and though it may seem kinda stupid to watch, it's actually very helpful judging by how we performed when he was playing other characters (Falco, Snake).

Also concerning lasers... You don't see us utilizing the mirror shield for projectile mindgames much. One reason for this is because, even if a laser is reflected, it can only hit any given combatant once. So, if OS shot through an enemy and I reflected it, it would not hit that enemy again. It will pass straight through without hurting them. As for the gyro... we didn't actually try it, but seeing as the mirror shield doubles the speed, damage, and knockback of whatever hits it, mirroring a fully-charged Gyro to hit an enemy would be devastating if you could pull it off.

True team combos are rare in these matches... I wish I had more to say about those, but most of our teamwork revolved around projectile support and the occasional infinite alternating grab release. Perhaps we would have done better if we utilized grabs and weak moves (Rob's dtilt, jabs, pit's jabs) to set up kills with Pit's bair or Rob's nair, fsmash, etc.

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea i think pits bets teammate is a non projectile person who cant really handle his own. But I think Two Pits would rock!!

-Gambit-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah their gameplay doesn't seem to compliment each other very well. While they both are quite good stock tankers Rob would serve better in this position because of his weight and his more reliable recovery.

BTW very nice comeback on the first match.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
is it just me or does your oponents survive to absurd %s for teams? anther although is just fab. but still i think someone with atleast potential killing power would be better for pit seeing as though he struggles on doing that himself. Rob is the same :/. so instead of filling up their own gaps instead they make them become more appearent.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Here's another set paired with ROB from S&C2... I wish I had more, and I also wish I had the first match:

Kel(MK) Sliq(Bowser) vs. OS(ROB) Dr.X(Pit)
*first match is missing*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdb8t8NHPbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1NmmoEKz0

OS also played MK to great success at this tournament... I'm not sure if he's planning on posting the videos. I thought we recorded them. I plan on doing MK next, though I want to check on the status of those vids first...

Doctor X

Smash Lord
lol nice vids. are people really that impressed in the midwest by arrow loops? :D
poor boozer. metaknight was carrying him.
It was really more that Kel let me hit him with it than the arrow loop itself. And sliq is never carried. He's a murder machine in doubles.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
OS (Snake) Dr. X (Pit) vs. Anther (Pika) Lain (G&W):
*OS played ROB for the first two matches, as you guys saw in my earlier post*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv_5j5Jrp-s

Despite the video, I think that snake should make a wonderful teammate for Pit, or hell... really anyone. He can stock tank and score kills, provided he's smart and saves his utilt, especially against lighter characters or on low-ceilinged stages. His projectiles aren't too useful for support, though, and since many of his best moves and approaches lag a lot, he can easily be overwhelmed by the other team if they gang up on him (as you guys can see in the video above). Pit should generally be better at keeping Snake in the game than other characters, since he can pick people out of combos with arrows, but you don't see me doing that nearly as often as I probably should have.

Also, the ridiculous hitstun from some of snake's tilts could make some great team combos. If he ftilts somebody towards you (very likely to happen) you can catch them with an uair or nair. Always be on the lookout for this.

Oh yeah, and grab to set up snake's fsmash = death for whatever poor ******* you manage to land it on.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Im not risking getting blown up by a grenade or a C4. Im not trusting snake to be my partner ever! And if that wasnt bad enough, having Free Fire on while being paired up with a snake... Dont catch me having one.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Im not risking getting blown up by a grenade or a C4. Im not trusting snake to be my partner ever! And if that wasnt bad enough, having Free Fire on while being paired up with a snake... Dont catch me having one.

ahh so i guess you would be happier vs a snake then. Your loss

Top Bottom