• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's Double Dolphin Slash

Genetic

Smash Rookie
OMG!!!

That's so intense!!! Maybe a glitch that allowed you to cancel all the lag on the first DS to let you do the second?

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
yeah, this glitch is impossible to perform and almost completely useless. it can be nice to know that it's there, though. maybe it can give someone an idea that may evolve into something actually useful.

Ulevo

Smash Master
yeah, this glitch is impossible to perform and almost completely useless. it can be nice to know that it's there, though. maybe it can give someone an idea that may evolve into something actually useful.
Completely useless? Do you pay attention to your words?

This is just as useful as Meta Knights double Shuttle Loop. If we could figure out how to replicate this, it would be amazing for returning safely against edge guarders.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You're just ledge-cancelling it. You might want to watch some Wolf and Lucario vids, they've been using this to double upN / sideB for a while now.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
Completely useless? Do you pay attention to your words?

This is just as useful as Meta Knights double Shuttle Loop. If we could figure out how to replicate this, it would be amazing for returning safely against edge guarders.
what I was referring to when saying it was completely useless was the fact that even if that could be replicated I can't think of any neutral stage that this could be replicated on and still be safe. you're completely vulnerable on your way down which will probably just lead into more beating. so sure, I may have gone a little overboard with saying that it's completely useless but I can't see this being very used in any level of play. it's also as I previously stated nigh impossible to perform.

also: mk has a double shuttle loop? that's news to me... although I don't check the mk boards very much at all.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
possible solution.

i have an idea on what happened. did anyone ever get rejected by a stage before? i mean like when you use your up-b and you don't grab to the ledge instead it just cancels out giving you another chance to use it again. well this might have happened to you instead you just kept pressing the b-button repeatly and you used your up-b right away after the cancel.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
Actually, in the slow motion part, you can see i stood on the stage, but in the same frame i used my UPB again (I was the marth BTW). It's similair to Wolf's technique, where you press away and then forward B and appear on the edge of the stage.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
If we could replicate this and not do it by accident, then marth would have way better recovery. I'll do some research and try to find out a way to consistently do it.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
If we could replicate this and not do it by accident, then marth would have way better recovery. I'll do some research and try to find out a way to consistently do it.
How would marth have a better recovery? That makes no sense. You are canceling the ledge sweet spot animation. If you could do something OTHER than up b'ng again then it would be useful. An extra dolphin slash would do nothing but get you punished.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
How would marth have a better recovery? That makes no sense. You are canceling the ledge sweet spot animation. If you could do something OTHER than up b'ng again then it would be useful. An extra dolphin slash would do nothing but get you punished.
i agree. you will just get punished.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
Why WOULDN'T you be able to do anything else? If we can find a way of consistently doing it we can, of course, implement other moves.

Cisne

Smash Apprentice
When a character slips off the edge there is no lag for whatever you want to do.

Example , Upsmash on enemy´s shield , you get pusshed backwards , you are now aereal and with no lag.

Is this just a backward di when landed ?

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
oh btw, while I was in training mode, i did the double dolphin slash again AND it was on Final Destination.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
You have to space it correctly if you want to do it on command. Its not impossible, but rather impractical. The best use for this is mindgames though. It doesnt help recovery, and the second dolphin slash doesnt really do anything either, but if you can do say marths forward smash after landing on the stage (because Im pretty sure in that video he did LAND before he used it again, since he started the second dolphin slash right above the stage.

That said Im not sure its really a viable tactic since actually pulling it off would be a little too difficult.

Hype

Smash Lord
This has happened to me a few times on smashville.

so basically your landing on the stage after doing your dolphin slash with no langing lag, then dolphin slashing again right? why wouldn't you be able to do any other mave after your first upB?

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
I don't think he landed. If not, this has happened to me countless times. It'd be great if we could replicate it, but I have no idea how.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
wow this happened quite a few times to me
what i think happenes is that you grab the ledge and press up or down and dolphin slash again

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
i have an idea on what happened. did anyone ever get rejected by a stage before? i mean like when you use your up-b and you don't grab to the ledge instead it just cancels out giving you another chance to use it again. well this might have happened to you instead you just kept pressing the b-button repeatly and you used your up-b right away after the cancel.
yeah That has happened to me before cost me a match when I know my character should have grabbed the ledge and he didn't. Does n e 1 have an idea on how to do that?

IDK

Smash Lord
either you landed and used it in the same frame as he said, or you got as i say, "wolfed". sometimes when characters go to a certain point on the edge they kind of just bounce back off the edge and are returned their upb. i think this may have happened and you just accidentally hit b twice.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
he just ledge cancels then immediately follows up with another dolphin slash

Ulevo

Smash Master
It may not be posted on the boards, but it is very useful.

When you're near a ledge, reverse your Shuttle Loop so it goes backwards and Meta Knight glides onto the stage upside down without clinging. During that time, you can use the Shuttle Loop again for a fluid motion in either direction. If you do it correctly, Meta Knight should Shuttle Loop in an S Shape.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
hmm this happened to me also but i didnt do it on the stage it looked like i missed the ledge (canceled sweet spot or sumthing like that) and i did another dolphin slash so it reset my upB without me touching the ground or edges

feardragon64

Smash Champion
While it's great that you posted a video, please use the search function.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163998&highlight=double+dolphin+slash

I KNOW I've seen another vid with this exact same thing before too(in another thread), but since I couldn't find it and got lazy after 2 searches, I can't expect you to find that other one. But still, this one had the same name as your thread =\

But anyways, as said before, it doesn't seem too useful to just do another dolphin slash. If you can do another attack, it might be a little bit useful. But not that much. You might be able to save about 0.1 seconds doing it instead of, say, sweetspotting the ledge, pressing back and doing the attack.

Nice try though =]

∫unk

Smash Master
This isn't that useful Ulevo... it's actually easier to punish from the slow land after the Dolphin Slash.

It has something to do with curved stages because I've only done it on Battlefield and Smashville.

Anyways if the opponent is close enough to get hit by this then just do it once and hit him with a ledge drop n-air. Most opponents that have played Marth know to stand back and just let Marth get back on stage. If you try double dolphin slash shenanigans you'll just get punished.

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
someone needs to find this out and post a thread up on here. It might not seem like theres not that much use for it but Im sure in the future there might be.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
It may not be posted on the boards, but it is very useful.

When you're near a ledge, reverse your Shuttle Loop so it goes backwards and Meta Knight glides onto the stage upside down without clinging. During that time, you can use the Shuttle Loop again for a fluid motion in either direction. If you do it correctly, Meta Knight should Shuttle Loop in an S Shape.
a technique that isn't posted on the smashboards? blasphemy! so you're supposed to go upside down onto the stage in the animation of the shuttle loop? hmm... fair enough. I'll try it out. however I still find the double dolphin slash very limited in areas of uses. the biggest thing I can see someone doing with this is doing it on someone who doesnt know about it that's standing on the edge of the stage and is edgeguarding. someone who knows about this will most definitely punish it instantly. however if we can maybe replicate this and then maybe get some other move out of it this could be a very effective technique that will make people up against marths have to play way more defensively when edgeguarding. where there's smoke there's fire, so to say.

Key

Smash Rookie
I used that a lot of time (not on purpose) and never helped me >_>

Korea4ever

Smash Cadet
The double dolphin slash seems pretty useless, as it leaves Marth high and vulnerable. However, Marth was standing on the stage for a bit between the two. If the first dolphin slash could be made to do that consistently, Marth can use dancing blade, for example, instantaneously after the recovery.

Do you remember whether you were mashing b or not, or if you tend to tilt the analog stick toward the stage?

E-unit

Smash Cadet
ya i seen that before i saw a video on youtube which Ike did the quickdraw move and hit the ledge and was able to do another move...but the person died cuz he didnt know that he could. He ended up doing Nair istead:laugh:

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
it looks like it has potential. Again, if you can find another attack to do it would be useful. For example, falco has the triple b reversal teachnique on battlefield that takes advantage of the same properties. He can wall jump of the slanted edge slide up and b reversal.

Top Bottom