• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VSDJ Discussion

El Frosty

Smash Rookie
*imported from my own rubbish thread*

both side B and down B can be cancelled before release by simply hitting jump whilst still holding the relevent buttons. the result is sonic releases his attack straight upwards for some damage and leaves you free to follow on with any of his other moves, the point? more mindgame potential. whilst charging a down B all too often have i seen peeps trying to leap over me in order to suprise attack from behind or above, and been able to catch them off guard with this move. . a good trick I've found is to spin jum to Nair in order to suprise those who try to rush you when you start charging a spin move.
use it too much and as with anything it begins to get predictable.
it is also very useful for dodging a projectile.
good for mindgames imo, the expected result of charging a spindash is to move horizontaly, not vertically. its practically a whole new attack option.

Tenki

Smash Hero
it's a nice way to force an airdodge then punish with a 'real' aerial, while still hitting them if they don't airdodge.

but of course, I always do an instant aerial, so i never actually do this.

i should though..

El Frosty

Smash Rookie
btw, dunno if its mentioned, but the damage figures look like a fixed 7% damage regardless of which spin dash you do it out of, regardless of charge, and it Star KO's mario at around 260% without DI, 270% with (not that youd actually be going for the KO with this move),

and as for leaving you open, you can do all ariel attacks, Spring and homing attack from it, i truly wouldnt reccomend using the move if your opponant is expecting it, kinda beats its purpose as a suprise attack/mindgame move.

Tenki

Smash Hero
VSDJ vs a grounded person at like 100% knocks someone down for a jablock lol

Umby

Smash Master
I've been using this out of uthrow lately at low-mid percents. Sometimes if I follow their DI while they air dodge, the hitbox is still out. Even If I miss, I can normally follow up with an aerial or fast fall back to the ground.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I think any time a grounded opponent would get hit by the VSDJ a hyphen smash would probably be safer. Not saying it couldn't work though.

Anthinus

Smash Journeyman
Hit someone with VSDJ is a pain. I think the best way to use it (as people said before) is mindgame with it.
ZSDJ is situational... but can be followed with any move (I don't know if used with side-B, maybe somebody knows). I'll try this on the edge, then Dair (:chuckle:)...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Vertical Spindash jump = VSDJ, right?

ZSDJ = ? o_O;

I think any time a grounded opponent would get hit by the VSDJ a hyphen smash would probably be safer. Not saying it couldn't work though.
I should probably use u-smash more, but I tend to find it pretty unsafe and punishable. At least you can airdodge at any time during a spindash jump or switch to a more powerful aerial, etc.

Top Bottom