• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

May be old or already known, but new cape thing for me anyways.

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I never knew you could wait on an edge, cape the recovering opponent, and regrab WITHOUT moving an inch.

So awesome, great for squirtle/ DK/ Fox etc.

Just wait, jam over b, then jam towards the stage.

Can repeat for ledge invincblity as well.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Yeah, I found this out in the Online Practice Room... Cool technique, but never had a chance to use it in an actual battle.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
It's pretty great to abuse the invinciblity frames and obviously messing up a oppenent's recovery. What I love about Mario is that, he has tons of options when he's holding on the ledge which make's a great mindgame such as the cape thing you mentioned :p

fox mctipper

Smash Cadet
that cape is so ****ing cheap. i mean, my friend abuses the move worse than mtv abuses music and i can see why he does because it gets so many easy low-damage kills. but still.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
that cape is so ****ing cheap. i mean, my friend abuses the move worse than mtv abuses music and i can see why he does because it gets so many easy low-damage kills. but still.
You trying learning how to use it good. It takes practice.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
lol, i remember making a topic about this when I first arrived on smashbaords. **** PAL delaying the game so long for us >_<

that part about mtv was funny man but anyways tha cape aint cheap it's just **** good. my favorite move and it gets easy kills too - grab, throw of ledge, cape - finished!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
that part about mtv was funny man but anyways tha cape aint cheap it's just **** good. my favorite move and it gets easy kills too - grab, throw of ledge, cape - finished!
Dude, that won't work on good players. Getting a grab with Mario's hard enough due to his bad range. They're that, and DI. It's not really effective.

Dude, that won't work on good players. Getting a grab with Mario's hard enough due to his bad range. They're that, and DI. It's not really effective.
i know that its hard to pull off but not impossible. its situational besides i forget to mention it in full detail but here goes.
1.if you manage to get a grab or any move(smash, tilt, etc.) that throws your foe off stage
2.and their comin from under tha stage fireball to cancel their air jumps
3. and finally cape their up b and boom! easy kill works best on people wit 3 jumps but still possible on everyone

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
if u havent known. if u cape a floating peach she just gets higher in the air. plus her up b is not one thats easily gimped by the cape due to its low horizontal movement at the start of the move. aaaaannnnnddd she doesnt fall nearly as far as she did in melee. so if u cape her with her parasol open she isnt going anywhere but back on the stage. oh and im not done yet. Recoveries are more effient in brawl and most will be waaayyyyy above the stage when they use their Up B

easy kill? probably an easy kill if ur facing sum1 who is one of the following
A: Is braindead
B: Doesnt know a thing about DI
or C: Lieks Mudkipz (not really) Real C: is completely incompetent and cannot read u for shaite

And please enlighten me that ppl like pit and mk can be gimped by the cape because with their gliding capabilities and with pits up b. i dont think so

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
i know that its hard to pull off but not impossible. its situational besides i forget to mention it in full detail but here goes.
1.if you manage to get a grab or any move(smash, tilt, etc.) that throws your foe off stage
2.and their comin from under tha stage fireball to cancel their air jumps
3. and finally cape their up b and boom! easy kill works best on people wit 3 jumps but still possible on everyone
Who the hell randomly Up Bs right in front of someone, anyway?

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
He probably doesn't mean it as something that works all the time. Nobody is good enough to consistently pull off fireballing or caping jumps then caping up-b's for low damage kills. Neither is anyone good enough to never have that done to them. Sometimes they read you and intercept, sometimes they don't.

if u havent known. if u cape a floating peach she just gets higher in the air. plus her up b is not one thats easily gimped by the cape due to its low horizontal movement at the start of the move. aaaaannnnnddd she doesnt fall nearly as far as she did in melee. so if u cape her with her parasol open she isnt going anywhere but back on the stage. oh and im not done yet. Recoveries are more effient in brawl and most will be waaayyyyy above the stage when they use their Up B

And please enlighten me that ppl like pit and mk can be gimped by the cape because with their gliding capabilities and with pits up b. i dont think so
thats true about capin peach but when shes comin back shes open. and mk and pit will not be caped when air jumpin. theyll be gettin fireballs to cancel their air jumps until they can only use up b. for mk cape his up for pit fireball again.

Who the hell randomly Up Bs right in front of someone, anyway?
i didnt say that. i said up b under tha stage. if you dont get it forget it.

He probably doesn't mean it as something that works all the time. Nobody is good enough to consistently pull off fireballing or caping jumps then caping up-b's for low damage kills. Neither is anyone good enough to never have that done to them. Sometimes they read you and intercept, sometimes they don't.
i know. but yeah it doesnt work all tha time its situational

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
thats true about capin peach but when shes comin back shes open. and mk and pit will not be caped when air jumpin. theyll be gettin fireballs to cancel their air jumps until they can only use up b. for mk cape his up for pit fireball again.
theres alittle trick i like to call airdodge, it works pretty well, especially for when mario is shooting fireballs at pit or mk

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario can cape MK's shuttleloop, can cape/fludd pit and MK's glides to reduce the distance of their recovery, and cape/cape ledgestall to prevent them from recovering. Neither are easy to edgeguard, but still very possible.

Also, peach isn't difficult to edgeguard as Mario. Cape and Fludd are effective on her gliding and upB.

I love when people underestimate Mario's edgeguarding. Makes me feel all tingly.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Mario can cape MK's shuttleloop, can cape/fludd pit and MK's glides to reduce the distance of their recovery, and cape/cape ledgestall to prevent them from recovering. Neither are easy to edgeguard, but still very possible.

Also, peach isn't difficult to edgeguard as Mario. Cape and Fludd are effective on her gliding and upB.

I love when people underestimate Mario's edgeguarding. Makes me feel all tingly.
i have yet to underestimate mario's edgeguarding potential. or to say that. but if a mario capes/fludds a floating peach she is gonna go up in the air higher same goes if she gets hit with fludd, even if she is using her up b.

u can cape shuttle loop yes but a skilled player would go under the stage and grab the other ledge (given if u can) but like i said edgeguarding is less efficient in this game due to
A: Floatiness
B: DI is more effective
C: there is less time for occupying a ledge when u roll, get up, attack, or jump from the ledge

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
i have yet to underestimate mario's edgeguarding potential. or to say that. but if a mario capes/fludds a floating peach she is gonna go up in the air higher same goes if she gets hit with fludd, even if she is using her up b.

u can cape shuttle loop yes but a skilled player would go under the stage and grab the other ledge (given if u can) but like i said edgeguarding is less efficient in this game due to
A: Floatiness
B: DI is more effective
C: there is less time for occupying a ledge when u roll, get up, attack, or jump from the ledge
Very true, but that doesn't stop characters like MK or ROB from screwing up various recoveries. Edgeguarding is more difficult, and less effective, but still very much alive. Link and toonlink have their tether ledgestall, Mario has the cape stall and FLUDD that kills the spacies recovery, and Kirby has many new options as well.

The cape is much less situational than you think. If a character like MK or Marth try and go beneath the stage to avoid FLUDD or cape edgeguards, that makes them vulnerable to edgehogs. If MK decides to try and switch his recovery up and use his SideB once or twice, Mario can cape it. Edgeguarding anyone never a sure thing, but it's very possible to edgeguard nearly every single character with Mario.

And about your argument with peach,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U58VuGs-AA8 only need to watch from about 0:00 to 0:38

The purpose of caping in Brawl isn't to deal damage or knock your opponent a certain way vertically (or horizontally most of the time), it's to turn your momentum in the opposite direction. Doing so actually subtracts jumps and shortens their recovery despite its size. Any mario on the boards will agree that Luigi's recovery distance is amongst the best. They'll also argue that it's VERY easy to edgeguard because of the cape (coupled with the FLUDD). It's never a sure thing of course, but you always have the opportunity. Add in the cape ledgestall and Capeglide -> Meteor, and you've got very good edgeguarding.

If I were to cape you during your upB, you're now turned in the opposite direction, and your momentum is going the other way. In order to return, you'd need to sacrifice valuable vertical distance just to return to where you were. You're now moving forward much slower, and are now susceptible to yet another cape, which produces the same result, only on a much higher degree. If I were to cape you again, Fludd you, or go for a spike, there's not much you could do about it because you'd end up sacrificing vertical height. 1 cape is all that's needed to set this in motion.

theres alittle trick i like to call airdodge, it works pretty well, especially for when mario is shooting fireballs at pit or mk
yeah except everytime you use air dodge you go down a little and that can make tha difference between your life and your death especially for characters like peach whos vertical recovery is tha worst in tha game

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
yeah except everytime you use air dodge you go down a little and that can make tha difference between your life and your death especially for characters like peach whos vertical recovery is tha worst in tha game
Her amazing horizontal recovery makes for it. Besides, a good player would make it so that they air-dodge at the right time to make it hard to punish them. They're that, and Mario still loses to Peach in Brawl because the attacks she has beat out Mario's because of Mario's bad range and Mario's recovery can be gimped by Peach, since his recovery isn't good and isn't hard to edgeguard. Just average. It's true cape's good for edgeguarding. You just need to mix it up with FLUDD and fireballs and you're good to go. :)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If a character like MK or Marth try and go beneath the stage to avoid FLUDD or cape edgeguards, that makes them vulnerable to edgehogs.
You don't recover low to avoid the cape, you recover high!

Getting caped does not Meteor You or randomly stun you for 5 seconds. If he capes you without you having used your Up B or any other move which renders you immobile, you'll still be able to move and recover.

Her amazing horizontal recovery makes for it. Besides, a good player would make it so that they air-dodge at the right time to make it hard to punish them. They're that, and Mario still loses to Peach in Brawl because the attacks she has beat out Mario's because of Mario's bad range and Mario's recovery can be gimped by Peach, since his recovery isn't good and isn't hard to edgeguard. Just average. It's true cape's good for edgeguarding. You just need to mix it up with FLUDD and fireballs and you're good to go. :)
i know peach has beatiful horizontal recovery, you didnt get me. i said if she was comin from UNDER tha stage (situational) and you shoot fireballs to cancel her second jump and she DODGES (goes down a little) that could make tha difference between her life and her death. about peach beatin mario, i highly disagree. just my opinion

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
i know peach has beatiful horizontal recovery, you didnt get me. i said if she was comin from UNDER tha stage (situational) and you shoot fireballs to cancel her second jump and she DODGES (goes down a little) that could make tha difference between her life and her death. about peach beatin mario, i highly disagree. just my opinion
She can beat it out with the umbrella. Besides, good Peach players wouldn't be going underneath the stage. Of course you disagree. You think Mario's the best character in the game, which is false. You don't seem to understand that Mario's limitations are what make him an average character. It's apparent that he does have a hard time against Peach since Peach beats him in the air and Mario's priority against hers gets beat. As a matter of fact, there are more characters that give Mario a hard time than Mario gives a hard time to. I'm stating facts. This debate's over.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You don't recover low to avoid the cape, you recover high!
Was responding to when Peachkid you recover low to avoid. I agree, recovering higher is a good idea, but being above your opponent leaves you vulnerable as some characters too. You'll return to the stage, but you may eat some damage in trying to avoid cape edgeguards or w/e

Getting caped does not Meteor You or randomly stun you for 5 seconds. If he capes you without you having used your Up B or any other move which renders you immobile, you'll still be able to move and recover.
Let's say that I cape you before you double jump. If you double jump any time as you're being turned around, your doublejump will go in the other direction. The momentum shift isn't a meteor or 5 second stun, but almost as bad. Your back is turned, you're slowly moving in the other direction, your second jump is gone, and you're still off the edge. This vulnerability opens up many more options for edgeguarding. I could Nair or Bair you away to where your upB won't reach the edge, I could try to Fludd you far enough to get a ledgehog, meteor, or another cape, or I could try one of those without the Fludd. As you said, recovering above the stage is always the ideal, but when that's not an option, Mario has choices.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
and get caped for it. the debates over huh? fine by me
Only, if Peach gets caped with the Umbrella, she can still move, as opposed to most other characters. And in this game, you can grab the ledge with your back turned to it (if Peach's umbrella is down).

thats been my point all along
No it hasn't. You claimed one should recover low to avoid getting caped. This implies that the best option (because the cape is just so good) against Mario is to recover low. Mario, by the way, has absolutely zero tools to force people to recover low unless he Fair Meteors them or something (or they suck at DI).

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Was responding to when Peachkid you recover low to avoid. I agree, recovering higher is a good idea, but being above your opponent leaves you vulnerable as some characters too. You'll return to the stage, but you may eat some damage in trying to avoid cape edgeguards or w/e
i was wrong on my arguement about recovering low and i accept that. yuna's right about its better by recovering high to avoid getting gimped by cape or fludd because they are out of their range, but also as matador stated mario has choices 2 of them to be exact. but they can be limited if the situation is not in marios favor like recovering really high above the stage or possibly under the stage.

and sometimes its better to eat some damage then to get gimped by cape

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
i was wrong on my arguement about recovering low and i accept that. yuna's right about its better by recovering high to avoid getting gimped by cape or fludd because they are out of their range, but also as matador stated mario has choices 2 of them to be exact. but they can be limited if the situation is not in marios favor like recovering really high above the stage or possibly under the stage.

and sometimes its better to eat some damage then to get gimped by cape
Then we haven't anything to argue about. Mario has really no options on edgeguarding G&W or Sonic because they're nearly ALWAYS too high for you to string any sort of edgeguarding setups together. If the peach recovers high, which is more often than not, she falls into that category.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
here is one more point tho. if peach gets caped when she is doing her up b when she is recovering lower, she actually goes higher (i played a Mario a little while ago). But if u catch her with her umbrella open, its less effective cause she slowly floats down and is a easy to control recovery. but don't get me wrong she can still be gimped just its a lot harder to even with the reversal Mario's cape causes.

thats one thing i needed to point out

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ok, get on your thinking caps because you guys are forgeting Mario has aerials and the cape glide. Everyone can airdodge, and saying that means your safe is like saying Meta Knight and Marth's endgeguarding is useless. Seriously, are you honestly saying that the character that made gimping famous isn't good at gimping?

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Ok, get on your thinking caps because you guys are forgeting Mario has aerials and the cape glide. Everyone can airdodge, and saying that means your safe is like saying Meta Knight and Marth's endgeguarding is useless. Seriously, are you honestly saying that the character that made gimping famous isn't good at gimping?
We're not saying he's bad at it. We're just saying that he can't gimp everyone as easily as you think he can because of certain characters' recovery options. So long as you go high, Mario has a harder time getting gimps. Aerials and the cape glide doesn't help much against some recoveries anyways.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
We're not saying he's bad at it. We're just saying that he can't gimp everyone as easily as you think he can because of certain characters' recovery options. So long as you go high, Mario has a harder time getting gimps. Aerials and the cape glide doesn't help much against some recoveries anyways.
Isn't that true for every character though? I thought going high makes it hard for people to gimp you period.

Top Bottom