• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge-Stall Trick on FD :]

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Sheik's Wall Jump and Wall Cling are rarely used, but I noticed it had some neat use on Final Destination. Not sure if anyone on the board has really talked about the usage on the Wall Jump or Cling on FD (other than that you can cling to the side), but I'll post this little trick that can add some flair to your Sheik game.

Sorry I don't have a video to demonstrate, but I'll try my best to do it using words.

You can perform a quick little ledge-stall using the Wall Jump and/or Wall Cling which can't be punished too easily and can be mixed in with a Vanish.

Instructions:
1. Hang on the ledge.
2. Release the edge by pressing Down.
3. Jump into the sharp corner (next to the * in the diagram below, its the highest spot where you are allowed to Wall Cling).

________________edge
\_______________/
....\*________*/.....

4. Once your into the corner, Wall Cling or immediately Wall Jump off. The Wall Jump will hug the stage until you auto-grab the ledge (you won't really need to DI the jump).

During the wall jump back to the edge, you can initiate a Vanish which can either: sweetspot the ledge, or have the Vanish explosion at the edge and land on the stage.

* If you did it incorrectly, your wall jump won't sweetspot into the edge. There is a spot on FD's side where you can Wall Cling, but immediately fall afterward making for an awkward comeback.
** Can be done as many times as you want!
*** If it hasn't be claimed, I think a fitting name would be "Wall Stall" :)

---------
Uses:
- Acts as an additional edge stall to Sheik's Double-Tether.
- Looks awesome and throwing in a Vanish prevents people from trying to edge-hog you during the Wall Jump.
- Refresh your invincibility frames.
- Mind game application.
- Change up the timing of your edge-recovery.
- Can also change the length of the stall by Wall Clinging first.
- Sheik can never have enough ways to play with the ledge :]

Another thing to add to Sheik's bag of tricks :D If anyone wishes to post a video about it, that'd be great. Unfortunately I don't have any good recording devices.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Mm well the wall jump thing has been known and i think someone mentioned vanish from it awhile ago but whatever.

I don't see a use for using vanish to SS the ledge since it happens anyways and the explosion then landing on the stage seems really situational to be useful.

However i noticed that a couple times i did this you can have the vanish explosion right in front of the ledge which could potentially be useful (shino stall or whatever is way to hard.)

I think you have to wall jump on the lower part to do this but I haven't been able to successfully do it on command yet.

AlCaTraz644

Smash Apprentice
excellent find stealthsushi, i've been think of ways to apply ways to use the wall jump and cling to sheiks advantage never thought of to use it to ledge stall, but for mindgames though and surprise enemies into wiffin a spike. Excellent... Excellent find

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Mm well the wall jump thing has been known and i think someone mentioned vanish from it awhile ago but whatever.

I don't see a use for using vanish to SS the ledge since it happens anyways and the explosion then landing on the stage seems really situational to be useful.

However i noticed that a couple times i did this you can have the vanish explosion right in front of the ledge which could potentially be useful (shino stall or whatever is way to hard.)

I think you have to wall jump on the lower part to do this but I haven't been able to successfully do it on command yet.

Ah the use of using Vanish to SS the ledge (even though the Wall Jump does it automatically) is incase the opponent tries to edge-hog you during the Wall Jump. Just a little bit of extra added safety as if they tried to edge-hog you, the vanish won't SS the ledge and it'll explode causing them to be stage-spiked or set you up for a lag-less Vanish landing and get the upperhand.
-------
Alcatraz: I've been trying to find other levels where Sheik's Wall Jump and Wall Cling can be utilized well with minimal punishment/risk to it. So far, FD is the only one where I found something useful (aside from Yoshi's Island + Wall Cling for survival, but that was discussed in a different thread).

Having little tricks like this can make FD a more advantageous level for Sheik :)

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
Did they change Pokemon Stadium 1's edge btw? Something seems fishy about it since they ported it over from Melee. Another + for Sheik nonetheless for being able to do it on Pokemon Stadium 1 :D Now if only they made that windmill walk-thru-able :( Always bugs the hell out of me >:(

demodemo

Smash Ace
its not they changed the edges of poke stadium...the edge detection in brawl is just ridiculous

Edges in brawl are friggen vacuums that suck your character into it. thats good in some aspects, but sometimes very very annoying

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Yeah, I realised how this can be used in the WiFi waiting room. I think the wall *jump* would be more useful for characters like Samus, but the Wall Cling for Sheik is pretty neat :D

Top Bottom