• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Art Of Mouthing - An Uair Guide (18+)!

Neb

Smash Lord
THE ART OF MOUTHING.
An Uair Mini Guide (18+)!

2 Do list
+Any Suggestions

Updates
+A better Title, by Esc (Hopefully Permanent)

In the action of performing uair, Game and Watch pulls out a horn that is aimed vertically, inhales a sum of air, and discharges two air drafts that fan adversaries upward in a jet stream. Anything caught inside the breeze will be affected by significantly reduced gravity.

WHAT’S HE REALLY DOING?
The original concept came from one of GaW’s many mini games, this one by the name of “Spitball Sparky”, where you blow on a globe to cause it to knock out blocks. So essentially, Game is using his mouth. Many people have mistaken the bell-shaped lips for a horn, pump, etc, though that is just a misconception, Game and Watch just has very nice lips, lol. In lack of better judgment, I’ll be using many of uair’s nicknames throughout the guide.

LIP ACTION. [Hitbox Stats]
Damage: 7-16%
Knock back: Low-to-High
This move has a very interesting (and seemingly useless) feature. If the move doesn't connect, it will push your opponent upwards with its HUGE hitbox. At first glance, Uair seems silly, but it is a great way to ensure that your opponent cannot punish you even if you miss the attack. Overall, it’s not the best air attack, damage wise, but it’s a good attack when the opponent is overhead.

Trumpets hitbox is very odd; it has some less than obvious features. The authentic hitbox lies around and above G&W’s mouth, this area can produce decent damage if landing both impacts, foes are still pushed upwards if hit with the damaging portion.

Phantom Hitbox
Aside from the normal damage zone, uair has a twin, this one being the air itself. The waft has a box that acts as a regular attack, so when you stall something like a dair, you’re actually, in a way clashing, without the fuss. That invisible region can stale your opponents technique when delayed, this is where you get the refreshing of your own attacks. So you want to net aerials with a good stall, or a drawn out juggle, so you’re less prone to being punished from them in the future, two, you're very light. Many a character do not have this ability, so take advantage of it.
Note: Hitbox passes through solid objects.

Refreshing
Uair has yet another unique quality, it refreshes your moves! This is tool that can make a difference in a battle. While your staling your opponents moves (if they hit the air), you're also refreshing your own, giving you a fresh fair, dair or usmash (for instance) to put the icing on your KO. You’ve flattened foes with box and hammer all battle long, your moves are exhausted, and your opponent won’t give; uthrow them into a juggle, stall them with the trumpet, then spring back with something that’ll blow them outta the water!

THE ART OF BLOWING. [Performance]
How to put the blow in your job you ask? Well of course there is a sensual side to “mouthing” your foes, not just running across the stage, tooting your horn. So lets get down to business, shall we?

The Jerk.
Jerking is basically the motion most GaW players make when juggling, which is essential performing a circular DI throughout the animation of an uair. This in short, creates a carpet of low gravity below your foe that you can drift in any way you choose, like a current.

Vertical.
To produce a more powerful burst of air you should uair at the same time your foe jumps, which will usually send them in the bubble zone off screen. In order to maintain a good juggle session, you should stay in rhythm while also being unpredictable; staying on beat makes way for a timed DI/air-dodge escape. The best way to fix this is to play with your foes descending time, if there high, you have more than enough time to execute your puffs at different periods.

Things you must learn/know.
+SH Uair

TECHNIQUES/USES

+Stalling
+Refreshing
+Staling
+Gimping
+Edgehog Guard: Waft enemies away from the ledge for a safe recovery, could also be a potential edgehog/Drop KO set-up.
+******: Uair juggling often forces foes to waste their jumps in a panic to escape set-up.

+Projectile Canceling

· Mario & Luigi: Fireball
· Link & TL: Arrow, Boomerang, Bomb (Air Bazooka)
· Samus: Missiles, Charged Shot (Uncharged)
· Pikachu: Thunderbolt
· Diddy: Peanut
· Pit: Arrows
· PT: Ivysaur- Razorleaf, Charizard: Rock Smash, Flamethrower
· Snake: Grenades (Goodbye!), Grenade Launcher (Hitbox Only), Nikita (Pushes away), Proxy Mines (From Beneath)
· Peach: Turnip
· Yoshi: Egg
· D3: Waddle D’s (Flings)
· Lucario: Aura Sphere
· Ness & Lucas: PKT, PKT2 (Gimps), PK Fire (Ness- Puffs away pillar)
· Wario: Bike/parts
· R.O.B: Gyro
· Olimar: Pikmin (Blast Off)
· Zelda: Dins Fire (Hitbox only)

Note: Trumpet is best against single-hit, airborne projectiles. The chart catalogs all the projectiles performed in the air and what uair shields against. The spot in which objects are canceled can be at two points, G&W’s body, or the wall of fanned air above him. The negation zone forms when he first beeps, so time it accurately. The horn actually floats projectiles, sending them high-up. With practice you can push bombs, turnips, grenades, etc back up at airborne opponents, just make sure they don’t come tumbling back down on you.
Trumpet: Mid-to-High Altitude Air Defense

MAKING THE MOVE. [Setting Up]
+Ground Punish Setup: The best way to pull this off is to catch your opponent in their up-b, and drift them to the stage where they are stuck in their falling animation, all set for all types of punishment.
+Uthrow -> Juggle
+Shield Break: This is a pretty interesting set-up. When you shield break an opponent, uair them while they are hurled into the air, you keep them in an animation that they cannot escape, they can't even DI! If you uair correctly, you can drift them off the stage for a cool drop KO! Even if your enemy hits land, they still remain in the unconscious animation, completely vulnerable.

More to come, any suggestions would be appreciated…

FINISHING THE JOB. [STAR KO’ING]
Believe it or not, Uair can spawn such a violent upsurge in altitude, that it may trigger a Star KO! The trumpets strength multiplies an opponents momentum, so if you can seize them right as they have a huge shift in speed, your foe has a chance of being KO’d off-screen. They’re getting the full brunt of the attack, and in response, they're blown sky high, a very flashy K.O.
Note:
+You may have to take higher ground to produce the effect.
+ Damage doesn’t matter.
+ Works better on lighter characters.

Execution Videos.
1. 00:26
2. 00:33
3. 2:02

Pseudo Omingay
Akin to the original Omnigay, this one requires your challenger to be wielding a timed explosive; someone like Snake, Link, or TL will do just fine. As they double jump, catch them with uair, and see them disappear from site, then blast themselves into a Star KO.

Stage Abuse
Another good way to set-up a Star KO is to take advantage of a stage pick. Some maps scroll, which opens up an opportunity for you to waft people off-screen as the playing field speeds up vertically, while others are just built at high altitude, milk this to no end. All you need to do is get good height, and as your opponent goes to jump, use uair up under there derriere, and send-them on a fast track to the Moon!

Stages this works great on are...

1. Delphino Plaza
2. Rumble Falls
3. New Pork City (High Ground)
4. Shadow Moses (High Ground)
5. Flat Zone 1 and 2 (High Ground)
6. Rainbow Cruise

juantendo8

Smash Cadet
Nice topic! I'll be sure to try to implement u-air's uses more. I had no idea that the puff actually refreshed your moves.

cutter

Smash Champion
I have a replay of a double Uair kill on Wifi saved; I just need recording tools to get it onto youtube and I'm golden.

VERY nice guide Neb. I really like all these little miniguides we're doing. :)

Neb

Smash Lord
Thanks guys, yeah, I'm sure they'll be more discoveries with uair.
When you get those video's up, Cut, just post'em in here, we could use the lulz.
^^b, miniguides ftw.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Definitely one of the most satisfying G&W kills, along with Bucket and Judgement 9 IMO.
One of the best things I have done with Uair is dodging the shuttle loop of MK Up B and carrying him off the edge with the puffs :D

Very nice guide too. Good to know that the puffs refresh moves! (And when are innuendos not fun?)

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
WOW, This is an awesome guide...

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Wow, nice guide to Up-air. There was a lot of information that I didn't know until now. I was wondering how you circle DI while you are doing Up air.

I hope you weren't implying anything in your title for the word "job." Other than that, you guide is amazing! Keep up the good work.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Amazing job Neb!
You're great at making guides >___>;;
I don't know how to make my guide so **** colorful, and give it a theme.
If only you could copy all the text and make it more appealing, but that's a lot of work with my wall of text's.

anyways, nice trumpet guide :]

Neb

Smash Lord
Amazing job Neb!
You're great at making guides >___>;;
I don't know how to make my guide so **** colorful, and give it a theme.
If only you could copy all the text and make it more appealing, but that's a lot of work with my wall of text's.

anyways, nice trumpet guide :]
Lol, thank you.
But hey, if you want me to, I could? Just tell me if you want light or dark colors, etc.

And sorry about the tournament, :(.

PS- Hey, mind giving me a new Title suggestion? I'm just dreading it right now, lol.

T_T

Smash Cadet
Great guide. Interesting amount I didn't know. Of particular interest is the star KO from an opponent's up b. Definately need to experement with that.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Wow, I love this guide. Great job. :)

I especially like to use uair when a MK uses Nado above me, and I puff them up after they finish and fsmash them when they land, trying to DI to the edge.

zaborg2400

Smash Cadet
doohd, that was a gret explanation. totally awesum 4 a 1st post.
i managed 2 pull off that shld break thing. pretty freagin kool

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
cmon I need people to join
lag comes with the turf, so who cares
its not like you can brag for winning an online tourney

do it
or

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Blowing Off Steam -- An U-Air Guide =O!
How to Blow Things Up -- An U-Air Guide =O!

It'd be nice if we had a compilation of moves that negate the U-air fan effect (if there are any). For example, does Kirby's Down-B get affected by the U-air?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Stuff like Kirby's Down B and Yoshi's Down B still launch rapidly down, but you can slightly lift them at the startup frames of their Down B's.

This guide should be called "How to really blow"
or or or
"The Art of Mouthing"

shyeah!

Neb

Smash Lord
Stuff like Kirby's Down B and Yoshi's Down B still launch rapidly down, but you can slightly lift them at the startup frames of their Down B's.

This guide should be called "How to really blow"
or or or
"The Art of Mouthing"

shyeah!
Lol, I liked "How to Blow Things Up", but the "Art of Mouthing" is just pure.
What about the children, lol? Any other ideas?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I know how we can save the kids!

THE ART OF MOUTHING - AN UAIR GUIDE (NO KIDS OR GIRLS ALLOWED)

or

THE ART OF MOUTHING - AN UAIR GUIDE (18+)

I guess there are some other things like

The Opposite Of Sucking - An Uair Guide
or
How far 10 bucks can get you - An Uair Guide + Life Lessons

Neb

Smash Lord
LOL! :laugh:
How Far 10 Bucks can get you, haha!?
Nice suggestions, I think I have my pick.
Thanks, Esc.

Neb

Smash Lord
The light bulb symbolizes him being a genius!
...pfft. :laugh:

@Esc
I hope you know I'll be using that gif, :0.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
wait what of ur opponent is like juggly puff and is trying to jump then u can use this to blow her off the screen and it counts as a kill lol

IronSquirrel891

Smash Apprentice
i dunno, Mouthing Off?
i dont really give a **** what you call it.
as long as "Mouthing" is somewhere in it.

great guide, been waiting for this to be spotlighted.

dead_cell

Smash Cadet
when i first found out g&w had this ability i was amazed.
i use it all the time, its just sooo epic :gw:

Top Bottom