• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrink's New Combo - Possibly "True" Combo

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Those pesky purple pikmin...I hate grabbing with them below 100% b/c I didn't know what to do with them. But now I have figured out a strat to use with them.

Warning - I'm sure someone has used this before and I'm sure people are using this now. However, the reason I'm bringing this up is to test if its a "True" combo b/c currently olly is listed as having only 1.

For enemy below 20-30% depending on weight.

Down Throw(Must be with purple pikmin) to Up B - Not glorious, but the special part here is that after you up b - YOU GO BACK TO LEADING WITH PURPLE PIKMIN. This is important b/c at zero, you could do this twice or you could throw the purple, hyphen smash etc. I would like some people to test as I do today, if this is a true combo and who it works for.

Discuss.

P.S. - I'm not planning a video based on the simplicity of the finding, but I want to hear people's reaction and since I have no roommates today I want help finding out if this can be dodged at 0 or above if timed correctly.

P.P.S. - With echo's new ability - the tether ledgegrab - can be reversed so you tether back onto the stage - not vital but once again interesting.

Works at higher percents with non purple down throw to up b - just did it to DK at 85...which means I finally found a high percent throw combo!!!!

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've never used this. I'll try it out. Seems useful for early gimp killing maybe. dthrow>upb>throw the purple> spike or somethin.

oh, and thanks for sharing.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I've never used this. I'll try it out. Seems useful for early gimp killing maybe. dthrow>upb>throw the purple> spike or somethin.

oh, and thanks for sharing.
no problem - I thought i'd try to be helpful before I wave goodbye to the olly forums...

P.S. - appears to be a true combo on some characters between 20 and 30...(Ike, Ganon) I'll keep testing.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
I would think whites would work better for this than purple, but i havent tested either.

Grab,Dsmash,Fmash or Throw, if you use your Up+b right afterwords whatever pikmin you used for the attack will go back to the front ( or in the case of downsmash they will go to the front in the order they were orignially in) In the case of throw, it dosent work unless you are close to the ones you threw. I could see some usefull applications of this in combo's when you only have one white or something or one blue etc.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
I would think whites would work better for this than purple, but i havent tested either.

Grab,Dsmash,Fmash or Throw, if you use your Up+b right afterwords whatever pikmin you used for the attack will go back to the front ( or in the case of downsmash they will go to the front in the order they were orignially in) In the case of throw, it dosent work unless you are close to the ones you threw. I could see some usefull applications of this in combo's when you only have one white or something or one blue etc.
...I don't think you have fully grasped what is actually happening with this combo...the whole point here is you don't have to watch an opponents di...I want to find out when dthrow to up b is a true combo...not what brawl purists are calling a combo.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Do this with a white f+b to white grab, up+b grab f+b or up+b.
When you are done with the white(s), you don't up+b and hyphen smash.

Sound good?

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Do this with a white f+b to white grab, up+b grab f+b or up+b.
When you are done with the white(s), you don't up+b and hyphen smash.

Sound good?
no, considering that like I posted in the thread, I'm curious when this turns into a true combo, I was hoping for specifics and less ambiguity, but whatever works for you.

Rocann

Smash Lord
i've been working with this and you sort of just have to think about how far they're going to go after the dthrow depending on what pikmin. there's too much to think about to know exact percent ranges for every character for every pikmin type. then you have to make sure you have a full chain

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
i've been working with this and you sort of just have to think about how far they're going to go after the dthrow depending on what pikmin. there's too much to think about to know exact percent ranges for every character for every pikmin type. then you have to make sure you have a full chain
Yeah, I incorporate this into my game now for almost every single grab above 20 percent b/c i play people who know how to dodge.

FOR IC's, this can be done anywhere from 0-60 and you can hit both IC's most of the time!

Puddin

Smash Lord
I tested this a little more and it generally works for the Purple Dthrow to about 30% after that it works with every other Pikmin, this test was with MetaKnight because Olimar hates him.

Top Bottom