• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Analysis for Diddy (Sticky?)

Player-1

Smash Legend
This is a basic guide of who and why Diddy is good against and not good against. I might add some counterpick stages for Diddy against your opponent later. For now this will be based on me personally, but I want this to be for the basic Diddy player. So for example I might be good against Snakes but all you guys might be bad against him, I'll change it then.

First I'll start off by saying who Diddy is and isn't good against.

Mario: Strong

Luigi: Very Weak

Peach: Weak

Bowser: Very Strong

Diddy: Neutral

Donkey Kong: Very Strong

Yoshi: Neutal

Wario: Weak

Link: Strong

Zelda: Neutral

Sheik: Strong

Gannondorf: Very Strong

Toon Link: Neutral

Samus: Neutral

Zamus: Very Weak

Pit: Neutral

Ice Climbers: Weak

ROB: Weak

Kirby: Neutral

Meta Knight: Neutral

King Dedede: Strong

Captain Olimar: Very Weak

Fox: Neutral

Falco: Neutral

Wolf: Weak

Captain Falcon: Strong

Pikachu: Neutral

Charizard: Strong

Ivysaur: Strong

Squirtle: Neutral

Lucario: Strong

Jigglypuff: Weak

Marth: Neutral

Ike: Neutral

Ness: Neutral

Lucas: Neutral

G&W: Weak

Snake: Weak

Sonic: Neutral

Remember this is mostly based on the people I've versed, and me personally with my strategies. We are trying to make this for the basic Diddy so if you want share your experiences and trouble with characters, post it here and we'll see if it changes.

Mario:

I have never versed an experienced Mario so I can't label this as accurate. The only advantage I can see for Mario Vs Diddy is his fireballs and can mess up some of his banana game. All you really have to do is knock him off the cliff, get him to use his mid air jump, then do it again and you've pretty much got him.

Luigi:

I label Diddy Very Weak against Luigi because of Luigi's great aerial game. The Luigis I've seen stay in the air a lot and has better aerial game than Diddy with little lag. His slipperyness can also mess up glide tossing and combos. His fireballs can be very annoying if you he is prevent you from getting to your bananas, and his down b is fast and and effective move to get out of combos.

Peach:

Peach's mid air float jump thing is very annoying with your bananas. You can't just do a normal toss at that, it goes right under her. What you have to do is short hop and throw it, and Fair or something of the sort. This is still hard though if the Peach player keeps moving around and if you miss you'll get a face full of Fair, which is one of Peach's best kill moves. Her turnips will get annoying, and the Dairing to Fair as well.

Bowser:

Bowser is slow and has some of the laggiest moves. Getting him with your bananas is easier than throwing a banana at a wall. He can be easily edgeguarded and spiked if he is coming back from the top of the screen. What you really have to look out for is his Dsmash if you don't have any bananas out.

Diddy:

Well it's diddy...so of course it's neutral. What I've noticed about Diddy dittos is that it is 90% banana control skill 10% any other skill that matters. Who ever has better banana control skill will most likely win. You don't even need to know how to combo with the bananas, because with four of them on the stage, it's extremely easy. I find that Diddy dittos is very unreliable when determining who is a better diddy.

Donkey Kong:

Just like Bowser has laggy attacks and is heavy. He has no range attacks. The main thing that separates DK from Bowser is the speed. Donkey Kong has a lot of more speed tan Bowser and you have to watch out for that. You really just don't want to get caught in his Punch or Fsmash.

Yoshi:

Theres just something about a Diddy and Yoshi matchup that, to me, seems like the most neutral match in the game. I just don't feel scared or over confident when versing him. The main disadvantage for Diddy is that Yoshi=no edgeguarding. He is extremely hard to edgeguard which is where diddy excells. The bad thing for Yoshi is that most of Diddy's moves have more priority than Yoshis.

Wario:

Wario, Wario, Wario!!!! I absolutely hate versing Warios. Wario has insane aerial game which means bad for bananas, plus when he eats his bananas, it has almost no lag at all. He is very hard to edgeguard unless the bike is on the stage, but this rarely happens when versing a good Wario.

Link:

This isn't accurate because I've only versed 1 good Link in the past. I find that his projectiles can get annoying but once you hit him with on bananas he is doomed for major punishment. Watch out for his smashs as well and any boost smashing.

Zelda:

Zelda is very annoying when trying to get your bananas. Her side b *****. Just make sure that you're prepared to shield or air dodge any time you see her about to use that thing. Most Zeldas will try to reflect your bananas back but if they mess up and you get her with bananas, she is easy to combo. Make sure you know where she'll land when she recovers with her up special.

Sheik:

The only advantage I can see for Sheik, is her speed. She has more speed than diddy and if he knows how to use bananas against you thats bad. But most of the time you should be able to edgeguard them easily and banana combo them into something.

Gannondorf:

Gannondorf is heavy, laggy moves, and slow. Easy target for Diddy. Combo them into anything you like, edgeguard them, anything basically works. You really just have to watch out for his side B. If you got that down your good to go.

Toon Link:

Toon Link's projectiles are really annoying. His speed is good and he has pretty decent power and great recovery. Watch out for his smashs. Try to stay away from him until you get him slipped up on some bananas.

Samus:

I've only versed 1 good Samus as well. A lot of Samus's moves have little lag, but on the other hand a lot of her moves have great lag. Watch out for her Dtilt and Dsmash. Her Dsmash has little lag and comes out fast. Her Dtilt can kill and comes out fast. She is pretty easy to get into combos though.

Zamus:

Zamus is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really times 10, annoying. She is very hard to approach, and Diddy has poor approaching skills, and if you mess up prepared to be stunned to death. You WILL be punished if you have approach her poorly. I find that Diddy's side b is the best, but too easy to sheild grab if you use a kick and with no kick you have to be closer to grab her, which can be troubling if she gets her stun gun out,

Pit:

Pit's Nair and Bair and especially his arrows, can get annoying. Make sure you crouch if he fires arrows at you, until they realize what you are doing you should be in rage of a side b kick. He is hard to edgeguard but if you get him even once, it can be troubling for Pit. Remember, once he uses his up b, even if you attack him out of it, he can't use it again.

Ice Climbers:

Ice Climbers isn't as hard to approach as it is to approach Zamus, but with Diddy's poor approaching skills it can still be hard. If you fail at approaching them prepare for the most annoying grabs in the game to come into affect. Try to desynch them ONLY when they're at high damage percentage or when you're ready to get them off the cliff. If you do it'll be incredibly easy to edgeguard them.

ROB:

ROB is very hard to edgeguard. He has a lagless Fair, strong spike, amazing Nair, and Bair. If you want to spike a ROB I find it easy to barrelspike them if they're coming from the bottom of the stage. Watch out for his annoying Gyro and Lasers, and remember his gyro can be picked up just like any item. He is pretty easy to banana combo, but watch out for a counter Nair.

Kirby:

Kirby can be pretty easy to kill with or without bananas. His floatiness is pretty annoying though when it comes to trying to combo him. Just watch out for any Dairing to Fsmash or his forward throw combo. Also be smart when recovering with rockets. Kirby's Dair> Rockets.

Meta Knight:

Meta Knight is pretty easy to kill around 100% damage. Just takes a Forward glide toss to a forward smash. His attacks have A LOT of priority this is where bananas come in to play. Use bananas more than you normally would to take out some of those moves that have a lot of priority. I fine glide tossing backwards more useful against him, to avoid tornado or side b or up b. He is hard to edgeguard, and I don't reccomend it either because you might end up being stage spiked by his up special.

Dedede:

He is heavy, slow, and laggy attacks. The one thing that seperates Dedede from the heavier characters is his recovery. Unlike a lot of the other ones, he can survive most of diddy's edguarding. His waddledees are also annoying because they can block the bananas sometime.

Captain Olimar:

Again is really really really really...well I'm not going to do that again but you know what I mean. He is one of the hardest characters to approach and if you fail prepared to be punished. He can easily sheild grab your side b kick. Your side b grab is usually not long enough to reach him unless he has a purple pikmin. I find that you just can't keep throwing bananas at him like any other character, but you have to look for an opening then strike.

Fox:

Fox isn't that hard for me. His reflector can get annoying but I can usually get my bananas back easily. His speed is your main problem. Watch out for any of his smashs. He is easily edgeguarded though and if you get him low then you pretty much have him.

Falco:

Make sure you watch out for Falco's chaingrab. It can be instant 50% damage and sometimes even a spike. His smashs aren't as dangerous as Fox's, but watch out for his annoying blaster. You don't want to give him a long distance range or he'll start blasting. He is also easy to edgeguard, and once you get him low enough you've got him.

Wolf:

Now normally you want to make a wall between you and your opponent with bananas, but in this case throw them opposite of that or else the Wolf can start using his blaster to seperate you between you and your bananas. He is easily gimped and edguarded, but most of the time you won't have time to because he'll side b back before you can get close, so most of the time you need to stay on stage. Easy gimps=peanut gun. use the peanut gun whenever you can when he is off the edge.

Captain Falcon:

Captain Falcon has no ranged attacks which should mean easy banana comboing. You want to edgeguard him as much as possible. The only problem you should have is his speed, just don't underestimate it and you should be fine.

Pikachu:

Pikachu shouldn't be hard if you get your bananas out. Remember that little trick we call side stepping? Forget it, you need to shield any attacks instead of dodging them. Most of his attacks will last a while (Dsmash, thunder, sometimes Fsmash if he times it right). Don't underestimate his QACing either and be ready to get out of the way of any thundering he does at you.

Charizard:

He is like a faster bowser almost. Lacks range in his attacks but they're fast (for a heavy char). Easy edgeguarding and banana target. Watch out for his tilts and Rock Smash.

Ivysaur:

Ivysaur is strongly affected by bananas. Easy edgeguarding, and once he uses his midair jump he is pretty much doomed if he doesn't make it and youu're edgehogging. Just watch out for his bullet seed.

Squirtle:

I find squirtle hard to banana combo off of because of his speed and lightness. Watch out for his tilts, aerials, and sliding thingy to an Usmash....

Lucario:

He isn't fast and has a few laggy smashes. I they use Aurua sphere counter with bananas, he can be easily spiked. Don't forget to edgehog him, his up special has no hitbox, but watch for the wall cling if it's available and turn it into a stage spike.

Jigglypuff:

The reason i say week is because of her aerials. I've versed 1 good jiggly and i either did really good or really bad. Her aerials beat diddys bananas. Her floatiness messes with your banana game. You have to be carefull when recovering with rockets because her Dair>rockets

Marth:

Marth has great speed and range and power. Don't get midrange from him, make sure you're either far, or short range or you'll get that tip of his sword. He is pretty hard to edgeguard some of the time, because they like to come from below the stage and if you follow them it can turn to a stage spike. When getting up from the stage's edge, don't just get up normally, jump, side b, or attack back up.

Ike:

Ike has decent speed considering his power. My biggest problem when versing Ikes is making a mistake. If you make a mistake, you're going to feel it hard with an Fsmash. Take adavantage oh his speed and use bananas. Also remember that his side b can be countered with a Fair when recovering.

Ness:

Stay a good bit back from Ness, at least out of range from his PK fire. That can turn into an instant 50% damage. Also, try not to fall into their mindgames with PK thunder, that will kill you. Ness has a quick spike and you need to watch out for it. His Back throw is insane. He is most vulnerable when he uses his up b to recover. Peanut popgun him to death.

Lucas:

You need to watch out for his Nair and Dair into Fsmash or anything of the sort. Don't get caught into it or you can be finished. His Usmas is strongest in the game, don't make any mistakes when messing with that. Remember that his PK thunder will go through you so don't try blocking it. He is a lot harder to edgeguard than Ness, because of his tether. Just look for that opening where he doesn't use it.

Game & Watch:

Game & Watch has insane aerials and his whole entire move set has 0-little lag. Get him with some bananas when he is Dairing. Don't get caught in his Down throw, he can hit you no matter road you take when getting back up. He is hard to edgeguard because most of them will recover from below.

Snake:

Use bananas, A LOT of bananas. His tilts are deadly but most of the time they won't be able to get them out on you if you use bananas. His recovery is so easy to spike you should be spiking him every time he is recovering from the botttom/midpoint of the stage. His grenades shouldn't be a problem if you don't attack a whole near them or shield. Don't screw up any side b's into Fsmashs like I do.

Sonic:

Remember Spiking? Diddy humping? Forget it all when versing this guy. Diddy humps will usually end up in me dieing and, he'll recover from spikes 75% of the time. Glide tossing backwards helps a lot when versing him. Remember his Spin Dash isn't affected by bananas on the ground, you have to throw them at him for him to be affected.

Well thats about it. Remember this is based on me personally and my strategies. I'm trying to make this for the basic Diddy so make sure to tell us your experiences and how each cahracter affects you.

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
falco and pit should both be weak. falco cg to dair kills and bananas are almost in favor of falco with his reflector. and pit has arrow spam and those dam reflectors.

Rex+

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Diddy's bananas can go MK's Tornado, and his Drill Rush.
That's definitely worth noting, also the fact that MK has an extremely long Glide Toss and can follow up with a Down Smash or Forward Smash with one of your bananas.
Note that as well, there are a few MK's I've fought that have done this. Also...

Player-1 said:
Fox isn't that hard for me.
LOL. I beat you all the time with him. XD

Player-1

Smash Legend
Ice cream: The reason I didn't put weak is because reflectors shouldn't be messing up your game. I also mentioned the arrow thing to.

Rex: I did mention this, I just didn't feel like putting glide toss stuff for other characters because I don't know what characters can and can't

I know peach, MK, and Sonic can thats about it

But all of this is still suppose to be for the basic diddy so I'll take this in consideration

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
I'd say not many characters in this game have much of a difference with diddy, it's basically know the match-up. Don't get hit by X characters smash, kind of a duh right there.

Characters that are bad for Diddy are characters that are:

Smaller: the smaller they they are less likely they are to be hit by bananas
Slippery: when Luigi trips he slides away which makes it really hard to follow-up on and rack up damage
Projectiles: characters the have projectiles that bounce off bananas(TL's bomb/boomerang)
Fast: People like sonic can run up to you and take the banana at the start of the match or whenever you bring it out, easily
Blockades: Wario can just stand behind his bike and diddy has no unpunishable approach
Reflectors: if they predict a banana throw you can be fvcked, but you can also mix-up mindgame them with fB grab if they reflector

Every other difference is just really how good your opponent is with his/her character and/or how well you know the matchup/they know the matchup.

edit: and also people like marth/MK/DK hwo glide toss as far as the banana do a tad better. As well as diddy doing a little better against MK for getting out of nadoe spam wiht bananas.

Rex+

Smash Ace
Mindgame Falco with a Glide Toss upwards, then punish with a smash when his reflector withdraws. It's an easy way past his Reflector.

Marth has a REALLY short one, Zelda and R.O.B. have considerably long ones.
Just strengthening the knowledge of Diddy matchups.

Other than that, great guide. :)

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
what? marth has a great forward glide toss. i use it all the time... he's my second. (my little bro. uses diddy also and for some reason pulls bananas out on my marth. i quickly gain control of them and start ****** him with his own nanas haha.)

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Marths goes almost as far as the banana. MK goes AS FAR as the banana though : (

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'd say not many characters in this game have much of a difference with diddy, it's basically know the match-up. Don't get hit by X characters smash, kind of a duh right there.

Characters that are bad for Diddy are characters that are:

Smaller: the smaller they they are less likely they are to be hit by bananas
Slippery: when Luigi trips he slides away which makes it really hard to follow-up on and rack up damage
Projectiles: characters the have projectiles that bounce off bananas(TL's bomb/boomerang)
Fast: People like sonic can run up to you and take the banana at the start of the match or whenever you bring it out, easily
Blockades: Wario can just stand behind his bike and diddy has no unpunishable approach
Reflectors: if they predict a banana throw you can be fvcked, but you can also mix-up mindgame them with fB grab if they reflector

Every other difference is just really how good your opponent is with his/her character and/or how well you know the matchup/they know the matchup.

edit: and also people like marth/MK/DK hwo glide toss as far as the banana do a tad better. As well as diddy doing a little better against MK for getting out of nadoe spam wiht bananas.
Well thats basically the roster right there minus the heavy chars which there is a huge difference in diddy matchups

psike

Smash Apprentice
Additional Tips: Against Peach the popgun will take her out of the air quickly. Also, bananas are an effective way of stopping her butt smash right before it hits you- and then you can follow with a smash. Also, if she is floating and you know she is going to try and up attack on you as you fall, a good way to switch things up is by using an upb just before reaching her, delaying your fall, screwing her timing, and then eventually blasting her to the ground when you release the barrels in her face. An additional way of taking her out of the air by suprise is rolling under her and quickly hitting an upsmash. When she is edge guarding with her oversmash, you should almost always go for the ledge and then jump out and over her- sometimes you can follow up with a bair and get her off the stage.

Also, something good to know against Pit: His shield will reverse your barrels if you try to hit him on a return, and you don't get them back. Not good.

I only got to skim this post, but it looks strong though it needs more strategies for countering each matchup. I will try to add some more things as I have time to read this.

psike

Smash Apprentice
Against the space animals: Bananas will kill their over B, so this will kill recovery effectively. Also, tossing bananas backwards over the ledge will kill their up B after you've knocked out their over b

Yanki

Smash Cadet
At mine experience vs high levels.

Mario:
A real nice player like Flameleon of here at mty can return to u the trow glitch whanever he whant so, for much diddys of here he is so fatal. (Boss mario is nothing compared whit Flameleon :p)

Luigui:
True, its weak. ( who dont? -.-)

Peach:
Its hard to beat a peach but nothing imposible, just need to use the spike when u can do it.

Bowser:
True diddy is very strong against bowser.

Diddy:
Neutral.

DK:
Very strong

Yoshi:
I think diddy is very strong against him because whit diddy u can won to yoshi at the air and in the grond just using tilts atack and back and front aerials.

Wario:
Warior didnt give me to much problems, u can use the diddy hump when he got her moto so imposible to her save from me ;).

Link:
Strong.

Zelda:
Neutral

Sheik:
Strong.

Ganondonrf:
STrong

Toon link:
Neutral

Samus and zero:
Can be easier if u know the exactly dist of her atacks, u can kill very easy the 2 at the edge, climbing or using the spike.

Pit:
weak, pit can f*** ur barrels at the air very easy or just cancel ur diddy hump, hard to beat a nice pit, and he have much more priority at the air.

Ice climbers:
Well i didnt fight alot vs ice climbers but, ye her grabs are so hard, but if u see her movements u can grab the nana and trow it very far later u can atack just 1, 1 its so easy killl whit trow glitch and spiking u just need move out the nana.

Rob:
Well rob isnt are so hard, ye he have more dist, but a fast diddy can spam atacks and rob didnt atack much fast, is question of use the spam of atacks.

Kirby:
Kirby is a tough oponent, nice mace at the air, can destroy ur barrles, the spike is the best weapon vs him, whit out it, u are dead >.<.

Meta knight:
Meta knight have to much priority vs diddy at the air and at the grond, faster, the dist is a nice technique vs him, a nice naner can do a very nice battle vs a meta knights, a comboer diddy gona have a hard battle vs him.

King DDD:
Well too much DDD,s just use grabs and thinks like that, a nice DDD, can use too much aerial atacks, Bananas is the only lcue nothing else >.<.

Olimar:
;) I have a special technique whit the olimars, no one of this board know it, secret technique plz, i can beat hims so easy, even the strong olimar can be killed easy by mine technique :D.

Fox:
Fox isnt are so hard, just grab him, shoot the gun, he gona try to climb, use the diddy hump at the edge, and its dead, how it gona be hard?.

Falco:
Same technique as fox.

Wolf:
Same technique as fox

Long list so i continue later >.<.....

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Yanki, don't continue later, no offense but virtually all of your assessments were shallow and of no use to anyone of virtually any skill.

Player 1, yours however was good, Kudos

-Dixi_

Smash Cadet
To player 1, bigger characters are kinda neutral for Diddy. Yeah, he does have a bigger target for bananas and can combo more with dTilts, but there even harder to kill and killing is Diddy's worst aspect.

There's two amazing DK's here in Florida, Riot and Linguini, and it makes Diddy a sad monkey when you banana f'd them, they're at 150% and still dont die to fSmash, and you die to any smash or donkey punch at 60% : /... Both of them place top 4 and have won a few tournies.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I disagree, edgeguarding is your key to killing the bigger characters. All heavy characters either have a crappy recovery or an easily spiked one, also I'm not going to try and compare a BASIC diddy player guide to an ELITE DK player like the ones you just mentioned

Yanki

Smash Cadet
Why u didnt stand me....
I saw alot of videos of this trade, alot of nubs, tons of post like the same thing, strong to****, weaker to ***, any character can won vs any character, try to use the right technique is the diference betwen urs and me, just come to mexico i are at Mty, if u beat me whit any character u are best, here ur words just look like a noob complain for dont be enough good for beat some characters, that all what i read from ur post, start to play smash, and stop doing all that inecesarys posts, the techniques posts, help the ppl, ur posts just show, in what cases u can won easy....
Thats all what i read.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well the grammar in most of your sentences is why I can't understand you..."Any character can won vs any character".

I also agree with blistering speed, most of this stuff won't work on most people. It may seem easy to try to spike Peach in her float mid air jump, but it's not that easy.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
This thread is based on opinion and personal experiences. IMO Diddy is on par with any character with advantage over a lot. That's based on my experiences in GA and my 1 trip to Tennessee.

The only characters I don't like playing are campers, but they are still very beatable.

Why u didnt stand me....
I saw alot of videos of this trade, alot of nubs, tons of post like the same thing, strong to****, weaker to ***, any character can won vs any character, try to use the right technique is the diference betwen urs and me, just come to mexico i are at Mty, if u beat me whit any character u are best, here ur words just look like a noob complain for dont be enough good for beat some characters, that all what i read from ur post, start to play smash, and stop doing all that inecesarys posts, the techniques posts, help the ppl, ur posts just show, in what cases u can won easy....
Thats all what i read.
because your English skills are TERRIBLE.

Player-1

Smash Legend
This thread is based on opinion and some experiences. IMO Diddy is on par with any character with advantage over a lot. That's based on my experiences in GA and my 1 trip to Tennessee.

The only characters I don't like playing are campers, but they are still very beatable.

Not entirely, this is based off what the basic diddy plays like vs the basic of other characters. I say basic because not every Bowser, Diddy, Pit, or Sonic plays the same way but they play from the root of their characters.

Imagine this as a tree. We'll say it's a bowser tree. Imagine the basic bowser as the trunk and his strategies, techniques, and all that stuff as the branches. This is pretty much a guide to beating the trunk of the tree. Every character has to be played similar to another persons character to succeed, as in you won't find a Bowser player trying to use his speed to beat a Sonic player.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
Not entirely, this is based off what the basic diddy plays like vs the basic of other characters. I say basic because not every Bowser, Diddy, Pit, or Sonic plays the same way but they play from the root of their characters.

Imagine this as a tree. We'll say it's a bowser tree. Imagine the basic bowser as the trunk and his strategies, techniques, and all that stuff as the branches. This is pretty much a guide to beating the trunk of the tree. Every character has to be played similar to another persons character to succeed, as in you won't find a Bowser player trying to use his speed to beat a Sonic player.
When you say basic, do you mean bad?

Player-1

Smash Legend
When you say basic, do you mean bad?
No, It's just not possible to make a non basic diddy guide in my opinion. What seperates a basic Diddy from an elite diddy, are the strategies, techniques, combos, etc. Not every person has the same strategies though so I can't make a diddy player guide for each and every diddy player that comes by

Czech

Smash Cadet
I think Diddy is Very Strong against Ivysaur. He very easy to combo and I smart player will gimp his recovery at percents like 30%. Once you get him off the edge its pretty much auto win and Diddy has many simple combos like DashA-Jump-Fair that can get him off the edge easily even at low percents.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I think Diddy is Very Strong against Ivysaur. He very easy to combo and I smart player will gimp his recovery at percents like 30%. Once you get him off the edge its pretty much auto win and Diddy has many simple combos like DashA-Jump-Fair that can get him off the edge easily even at low percents.
This is what I orignally thought, but i have not versed enough PT Ivysaurs to say, so I'll probably change this later

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
To player 1, bigger characters are kinda neutral for Diddy. Yeah, he does have a bigger target for bananas and can combo more with dTilts, but there even harder to kill and killing is Diddy's worst aspect.

There's two amazing DK's here in Florida, Riot and Linguini, and it makes Diddy a sad monkey when you banana f'd them, they're at 150% and still dont die to fSmash, and you die to any smash or donkey punch at 60% : /... Both of them place top 4 and have won a few tournies.
**** they're scary. linguini 3 stocked me while he was at 215% in one match of our set

good work on the list though player1. Id rather play the people using these chars than intensely study your list (partially because im lazy), but its still a great tool

oh, and i personally think diddy is very weak against falco, but thats just me

Player-1

Smash Legend
**** they're scary. linguini 3 stocked me while he was at 215% in one match of our set

good work on the list though player1. Id rather play the people using these chars than intensely study your list (partially because im lazy), but its still a great tool

Yeah I know what you mean about the playing instead of studying thing. The only thing I really wanted to do is put the "Very strong, Strong, Neutral, Weak, Very Weak" thing then I thought People are going to be asking "OMG WHY IS [insert char name here} STRONGER AGAINST DIDDY" so I just put the reason all in one post instead having to type it later

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Yeah I know what you mean about the playing instead of studying thing. The only thing I really wanted to do is put the "Very strong, Strong, Neutral, Weak, Very Weak" thing then I thought People are going to be asking "OMG WHY IS [insert char name here} STRONGER AGAINST DIDDY" so I just put the reason all in one post instead having to type it later
later today/tomorrow i guess ill go through your list and put what i think for each chacter (ranking and explination). most my rankings are probably gonna be the same as yours, but if theres anything different i guess you can look and see if its good enough to add to your compilation. Ive played against pretty much every character in a tourney match except pokemon trainer, so i cant help you on him either >.>

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
It's still early days anyhow. We could all probably sit down and write a thing or two about matchups we commonly have to deal with.

Pit:
Much of what this character is can drive a Diddy player insane.

Both character's have a great aerial game, but Pit's attacks seem to come out just that much quicker. This also goes for fighting on the ground. Without some good banana play, you're going to get owned by his very quick forward smash at close quarters.

Angel ring: it is something to watch for (Side B). If they use it, get rid of the banana in your hand, it's a freakin reflector. It's possible to clash with it using your f-smash (Or any other number of attacks) but I've found that as soon as you clash with it, you need to react very quickly, or else receive a forward smash. Strangely, at times I've been able to reach through and hit with the ftilt.

Arrows: Crawl or short hop. Either way you need to dodge around them to get close. I find bouncing around helps me because that's my whole strategy against Pit anyway, alot of empty short hopping.

Spacing: Is crucial! You have better short hop DI and air time, so when playing the short hop game with Pit, wait him out and punish with the forward air. His attacks are quick, but you can still shield grab mistimed aerials.

KO's: Either go for the Forward Air KO or the spike. Problem with getting a fair KO is that they must be hit through the death wall, otherwise they will just recover. It's a good thing that, like every player knows, Pit's recovery is very gimpable. As soon as he is hit out of his Up B, he's gone, so use your bananas to hit long range, or go in for the spike. Remember, all he can do is float around, don't be afraid to chase him off the edge once he's initiated the Up B, since only person that can screw up your recovery is you.

((This is just from my experience against a few Pit's, please criticize as you see fit))

underscore_

Smash Journeyman

Yeah the first time I played Riot I got 3 stocked. First stock, I was at 50%, he was at 160%. I die in one it. Next stock he's at 200%, I die to fSmash. Next stock he grabs and stage spikes me at 6%.................

Now I go pretty even with both of them, although I only played Linguini once.

I think this list is pretty dumb personally. People With reflectors do a little better, people who are as fast as/faster than Diddy do better, people whose projectiles beat out/bounce of bananas do better, people who make it hard to followup bananas do better; the rest is just general things any smasher should know --- watch out for X smash/Y smash, if they're bigger they're easier to hit with bananas/harder to kill/easier to spike, if they have a bad recovery they're easier to gimp.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Yeah the first time I played Riot I got 3 stocked. First stock, I was at 50%, he was at 160%. I die in one it. Next stock he's at 200%, I die to fSmash. Next stock he grabs and stage spikes me at 6%.................

I think this list is pretty dumb personally. People With reflectors do a little better, people who are as fast as/faster than Diddy do better, people whose projectiles beat out/bounce of bananas do better, people who make it hard to followup bananas do better; the rest is just general things any smasher should know --- watch out for X smash/Y smash, if they're bigger they're easier to hit with bananas/harder to kill/easier to spike, if they have a bad recovery they're easier to gimp.
lol. i havnt played riot yet. only played linguini once at this past gigs.

so you're basically saying its easier to just play the people and figure out that way, than to make a list. Which i completely agree with, but some people arent able to go to many tourneys and play many different types of chars, so this is a good tool for that crowd to learn about some matchups before they make the tourney plunge, if they ever do.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
Lol I guess but don't get hit by a move should go in General Brawl not Diddy brawl.

Player-1

Smash Legend

If what you say is true, then there wouldn't be any threads asking how to beat other characters, which there clearly are

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
It just comes down to knowing the match, my point was that Diddy is no better/worse then anyone else getting hit by this or that characters smashes.

P.S. Diddy does better against DDD a little cause the bananas F up his chain grab and they help against Flaco's chain grab, although his reflector ***** this match.

Player-1

Smash Legend
It just comes down to knowing the match, my point was that Diddy is no better/worse then anyone else getting hit by this or that characters smashes.

P.S. Diddy does better against DDD a little cause the bananas F up his chain grab and they help against Flaco's chain grab, although his reflector ***** this match.
Everyone knows that...the point of this guide isn't to tell if diddy is no better/worse than anyone else getting hit by this or that characters smashes

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace

Personally I don't think any other character plays faster than Diddy. Diddy flows around and he does it fast. Unless you want to say Sonic, but Sonic is terrible and not worth mentioning. The rest I agree with though.

underscore_

Smash Journeyman
Personally I don't think any other character plays faster than Diddy. Diddy flows around and he does it fast. Unless you want to say Sonic, but Sonic is terrible and not worth mentioning. The rest I agree with though.
Sonic is terrible at killing, not that bad at much else. He does really good against Diddy's bananas.

IDK

Smash Lord
Mindgame Falco with a Glide Toss upwards, then punish with a smash when his reflector withdraws. It's an easy way past his Reflector.

Marth has a REALLY short one, Zelda and R.O.B. have considerably long ones.
Just strengthening the knowledge of Diddy matchups.

Other than that, great guide. :)
it all depends on your timing.

psike

Smash Apprentice
It's still early days anyhow. We could all probably sit down and write a thing or two about matchups we commonly have to deal with.

Pit:
Much of what this character is can drive a Diddy player insane.

Both character's have a great aerial game, but Pit's attacks seem to come out just that much quicker. This also goes for fighting on the ground. Without some good banana play, you're going to get owned by his very quick forward smash at close quarters.

Angel ring: it is something to watch for (Side B). If they use it, get rid of the banana in your hand, it's a freakin reflector. It's possible to clash with it using your f-smash (Or any other number of attacks) but I've found that as soon as you clash with it, you need to react very quickly, or else receive a forward smash. Strangely, at times I've been able to reach through and hit with the ftilt.

Arrows: Crawl or short hop. Either way you need to dodge around them to get close. I find bouncing around helps me because that's my whole strategy against Pit anyway, alot of empty short hopping.

Spacing: Is crucial! You have better short hop DI and air time, so when playing the short hop game with Pit, wait him out and punish with the forward air. His attacks are quick, but you can still shield grab mistimed aerials.

KO's: Either go for the Forward Air KO or the spike. Problem with getting a fair KO is that they must be hit through the death wall, otherwise they will just recover. It's a good thing that, like every player knows, Pit's recovery is very gimpable. As soon as he is hit out of his Up B, he's gone, so use your bananas to hit long range, or go in for the spike. Remember, all he can do is float around, don't be afraid to chase him off the edge once he's initiated the Up B, since only person that can screw up your recovery is you.

((This is just from my experience against a few Pit's, please criticize as you see fit))
^^^Great tips; doing a roll into upsmash leaves pit very vulnerable to an fair or a bair. Also if Pit has up b'd below the stage, there is no reason at all for him to recover if you have a banana anyware close. I find jumping above him and tossing a banana straight down will knock them out every time. As a matter of fact, its not even worth trying to spike him, because it's so easy to gimp him with bananas (of course its always good to switch things up).

Top Bottom