• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Updated! 6/23/08 Bowser's Chain Grab, AirGrabbing(New Vid)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh sh**... dude GIMPY GO MAKE BOWSER TOP TIER WITH THIS :)

I would have never thought Bowser, of all characters, would break Brawl like this. This tops the ridiculous list I had in my head.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
interesting i guess...someone should test this with a human and have them just smash di as hard as they can away from bowser. hard to think that it's been 3 months and no one had discovered it though.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Just holding the shield button isn't a valid way to test this as it prevents you from accounting for DI.
Bowser's dash attack has pretty good range. You should DI test it if you think it wont work.

The point of having the shield test is to show that your opponent can't move when in this chain grab

Good night I'm sleeping, I probably won't be replying for a good while.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's actually a huge effect; Marth can't infinitely standing grab Lucas if Lucas does max break DI away, and I'm pretty sure Squirtle/Charizard vs Ness is the same story. In fact, the only known release grab that doesn't have to worry about break DI that isn't done by Yoshi (which is in the realm of jump breaks which don't have break DI) is the Marth one vs Ness.

Also remember that stale moves shorten the range of the grab; you have to factor both maximum break DI and stale moves into release grabs.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's actually a huge effect; Marth can't infinitely standing grab Lucas if Lucas does max break DI away, and I'm pretty sure Squirtle/Charizard vs Ness is the same story. In fact, the only known release grab that doesn't have to worry about break DI that isn't done by Yoshi (which is in the realm of jump breaks which don't have break DI) is the Marth one vs Ness.

Also remember that stale moves shorten the range of the grab; you have to factor both maximum break DI and stale moves into release grabs.
Stale moves is countered by the grab jabs, and max DI shouldn't change this outcome very much.

D

Deleted member

ill check if its breakable tomorrow, now its sleepy time mirite? (3:06 am)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
...Huh, I really wouldn't call that a infinite until I see Boswer start grabbing his opponents out of the air when they hold up instead of just shield.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
1. Gimpyfish doesn't play Brawl.

2. You can DI out of this.

3. Having P2 hold down shield is not an effective way to test because it won't make the shield come out on the earliest frame possible and it doesn't account for DI.

4. The amount of time it takes to pull up your shield or your spotdodge animation is definitely shorter than Bowser's grab animation.

5. You only tested it against Dedede and Lucas and it didn't even look that effective against Lucas because you kept missing the regrab.

6. This is coming from the person who "discovered" "wavedashing" in Brawl.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
eh... it wont be allowed anyway.
And yet the chain grab on Lucas and Ness will be?

If there's one thing I learned from trying to get that chain grab banned, it's that infinites will never be banned no matter how ridiculous they are.

Apparently it is "too hard" to monitor such a thing in tournaments.

Pff.

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
this dosent even come close to game breaking the ice climbers have like 5 infinites one of which (that i know of) works on every one so if this is game breaking the game was broken long ago. and lastly dont think that this makes bowser top tier...... again just look at ice'es

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
...Huh, I really wouldn't call that a infinite until I see Boswer start grabbing his opponents out of the air when they hold up instead of just shield.
If you constantly jab someone in a grab and time it perfectly, they can't escape into the air, I'm pretty sure.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
taken from myself in the bowser topic.

Im pretty sure this does NOT affect all characters.
When it was going around that Ness got infinited by X characters, some testing was done to disprove the characters who could. Bowser was one of the original, but they went and said it was possible to break.

DIing is really big in getting out of this.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177039
If suspended while grabbed, the jump break is likely.

I havent tested this, so I want to know who can get regrabbed from this.
So really, the release to regrab is probably not possible on everyone, so the title is misleading.
Figure out who can, if any.
DI this sucka.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
interesting i guess...someone should test this with a human and have them just smash di as hard as they can away from bowser. hard to think that it's been 3 months and no one had discovered it though.
You cannot smash DI Grabs.

And I will test this myself later.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
You cannot smash DI Grabs.

And I will test this myself later.
You actually can. DI out of a grab break has meant the difference for Ness and Lucas users being infinited by many characters. Wario for example. With DI he has to running grab you. Without DI he can just infinite you by standing.

old king coal

Smash Journeyman
1. Gimpyfish doesn't play Brawl.

2. You can DI out of this.

3. Having P2 hold down shield is not an effective way to test because it won't make the shield come out on the earliest frame possible and it doesn't account for DI.

4. The amount of time it takes to pull up your shield or your spotdodge animation is definitely shorter than Bowser's grab animation.

5. You only tested it against Dedede and Lucas and it didn't even look that effective against Lucas because you kept missing the regrab.

6. This is coming from the person who "discovered" "wavedashing" in Brawl.
sounds like a challenge to me...and nessbounder nice sig

Amide

Smash Lord
I don't think this will work, but if it does, that's cool I guess. I'd test it, but I can't right now. However if it doesn't work, I still think you could follow up.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I like how many people are saying it won't work when they have absolutely 0 evidence that it won't. If you don't think it'll work, post some videos. If you don't have any evidence that it won't work, go play with yourself while others discuss the topic.

Good work on the discovery. I vote to not ban this tactic, solely on the hope that Bowser will win every Brawl tournament from now one. Then birds will fly backwards, trees will grow upside down, and the universe will implode

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I think there needs to be more research before this can be officially accepted, but I would love to see Bowser overthrow Snake for Brawl's best character.

chckn

Smash Ace
I like how many people are saying it won't work when they have absolutely 0 evidence that it won't. If you don't think it'll work, post some videos. If you don't have any evidence that it won't work, go play with yourself while others discuss the topic.

Good work on the discovery. I vote to not ban this tactic, solely on the hope that Bowser will win every Brawl tournament from now one. Then birds will fly backwards, trees will grow upside down, and the universe will implode
Can someone test this out please. I mean there have been two pages of posts saying I think this will or will not work with absolutely no evidence at all. I cannot test it due to the fact that I am working , but if someone will take the 10 minutes too they will be awarded 17 internetz.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If this works, Brawl will be my favorite game of all time, and Gimpyfish will win all tournaments.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
I just tested it with smash DI and normal DI and it is an official infinite on everyone except Squirtle. Against the taller chars its most effective, but anyone short has a little bit of bounce to them and its more difficult to perform. Vs ZSS he could actually regrab to fsmash due to her lag sequence.
JK, I'm at work and am completely talking out of my caca factory.
Can't wait to see how this develops in a bit :ohwell:

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I just tested it with smash DI and normal DI and it is an official infinite on everyone except Squirtle. Against the taller chars its most effective, but anyone short has a little bit of bounce to them and its more difficult to perform. Vs ZSS he could actually regrab to fsmash due to her lag sequence and the way she breaks out.

JK, I'm at work and am completely talking out of my caca factory.

*puts up flame shield*
Looking at your texts makes mine eyes hurt.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion

Though the discovery is impressive and I'm curious to see how it turns out, it is things like these that make me lose faith with Brawl. I wonder if these release grabs will now be banned. Only time will tell how these grabs effect the game.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
hey guys? Hold up.
What he said. From his testing, turns out Bowser's grab attack is too slow to keep characters in hitstun the whole time, and the only way you can force them to slide-grab-break is by having them in grab attack hitstun at the time that they break out, which is an impossibility to do consistently with Bowser.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
This doesn't work at all, you can easily time your escape to be in between bowser's hits as they're so slow. Just takes a tiny bit of practice to get used to.

Top Bottom