• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's "Momentum Tilts"

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Original Topic by SkaManifesto: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176887

Heya Toon Link boards, just a little something I want to share. I don't know if any of you've read up on the Momentum Tilting/Momentum Grabbing on the Kirby boards, but after testing it out with the whole cast, I've come to realize that it works best for Toon Link, Kirby and Yoshi - in my opinion, at least. It's only really worthwhile if you set the C-Stick to Attack instead of Smash, otherwise you'll spend forever trying to get the timing down for it. C-Sticking it also makes it far easier to do the tech consistently.

To give you an idea of how effective it is for Toon Link, if you start the Momentum Lag at the start of the diamond at the centre of FD, Toon Link will slide halfway across it with all 3 of his Tilts; I've found Utilt to be the best so far. You can grab with the Momentum Lag too, but the boost you'll get from it isn't as significant as the boost you maintain while Tilting.

Anyway, sorry if this was already known, just wanted to share it. I have a few ideas on how it can be applied to actual matches, but I need to do some more testing first.

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
I'll have to see this, but this could drastically change the way TL's played. Any opening could be greeted with a nice Ftilt from all the way across Yoshi's Island, and grabbing could actually work, dare I say it.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
I'll have to see this, but this could drastically change the way TL's played. Any opening could be greeted with a nice Ftilt from all the way across Yoshi's Island, and grabbing could actually work, dare I say it.
I'm not sure if it would "drastically" change anything, but it could work as a nice way to punish the opponent and rack up a little damage. You have to remember it's not something that will revolutionize Smash Bros. the way Wavedashing is - it's just a nice, potentially useful technique that could tip the balance of the match if used correctly.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it was spammed alot in the Kirby thread but "we need to see a video". If you can do this AT but can't video it, maybe try doing it in an online match against someone who can?

Anyway congrats on finding a seemingly useful AT

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if it would "drastically" change anything, but it could work as a nice way to punish the opponent and rack up a little damage. You have to remember it's not something that will revolutionize Smash Bros. the way Wavedashing is - it's just a nice, potentially useful technique that could tip the balance of the match if used correctly.
Sorry, drastically was the wrong word. I was looking for more of a... possibly. lol. But really, if this technique can take you as far as you say it can, it means it fits TL perfectly. he's all about camping and abusing openings, this technique does exactly that. Get some projectile spam in, and when they're open, rush.

Hype

Smash Lord
Yeah it was spammed alot in the Kirby thread but "we need to see a video". If you can do this AT but can't video it, maybe try doing it in an online match against someone who can?

Anyway congrats on finding a seemingly useful AT

I agree, we need to see a video. I think the OP said half of FD, thats crazy.

Edit: my mistake, its half of the diamond, but still interesting.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
video please?

it would work loads with TL since he has better tilts than kirby and yoshi in my opinion

Lobos

Smash Master
Actually I've done this before but on accident, I have an idea of how it works. It's easier to do with TL's grab also makes his chain reach slightly farther. The Tilts are actually kinda hard to do, a video is needed for this sort of thing tho.....I might work on one

Beetle Juice

Smash Journeyman
yea i have read that thread of the ml and i really don't wanna be as lost as they are now without a vid but i guess I'll try

huenikad

Smash Cadet
A vid would be very nice, but this sounds quite neat seems to fit TL pretty well.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i did it too. with grabs is mad nice. a good boost to reach. tilts is a lot harder

ZeroXMachine

Smash Apprentice
So the slide effect isn't halfway across FD?

From the video it stills seems somewhat useful, but can anyone verify how far Toon Link can slide from this tech?

Santi

Smash Lord
The momentum from turning gives a slight sliding boost while tilting. Its very situational and hard to master.

Good video Lobos. It helped me see if I was doing this right.

I've been working on situations this could be used in.

Pseudo retreaing maybe?
Like run away from your opponent...they come after you...your turn around into a dtilt then go into jab or w.e
it could catch them off guard.

I aslo use the turn around lag on bombs, cause it seems like you slide backward after throwing the bomb, which could help create distance between you and your opponent.

But mostly I'm thinking it would work better as a mindgame.. make your opponent think your running away or reatreating.. then you turn around and use the momentum for your Dtilt or Dsmash to catch them off guard.

Top Bottom