• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Specifics Of Grabs. ~

Ulevo

Smash Master
So, I was bored as usual, and I was browsing through the Marth boards. I stumbled across a post relating to a tactic in a video where Marth would grab Meta Knight, knee a few, and then stop. By doing this, Meta Knight would be forced to break from the grab through the air, which the Marth would follow it up with a guaranteed Fair. "Huh, I do that myself." I said. Then it got me thinking, and I decided to go M2K on my Wii once again.

Grabs have more uses to them then bypassing shields and adding percents. Here I will talk about this.

In Melee, it was to my understanding that if the analog stick was held in the up position while a character was being grabbed, they would perform a jump away from the grabber if they broke free before being thrown. By doing so, this could guarantee the grabee would never be caught in what is now called a Release Grab. This doesn't work in Brawl quite the same, as it is performed differently, and it is no longer guaranteed. Despite this, there are uses to be examined here.

If a player manages to break free from a grab via button/control mashing, he can break from the grab in one of two ways. If the character breaks free by hitting Up repeatedly, or mashing any controls associated with the Jump function, that character will break free via Jump Break. If the character breaks free though any other means than the controls associated with the Jump function, it is based on character match up as to whether or not the grabee is released on the ground, or in the air.

If a character breaks free from a grab by either being let go, or by button mashing without using the Jump feature on the control scheme, the way they break is dependent specifically on how far the victim is suspended from the ground. If the character is low to the ground while being grabbed and manages to break free, it is likely they will perform a Ground Break and be released in front of the opponent. If they are higher up and their feet are dangling below, it is more likely they will perform a Jump Break even without the use of the Jump feature.

An example of this would be Marth and Jigglypuff. If Marth grabs Jiggs and she happens to break free, she will always be released through the air because of how high Marth is holding her up. Now if Meta Knight were to hold Jiggs, she would always be released on the ground because she is on ground level, unless the Jiggs player purposely performed a Jump Break by mashing Y/X/Up, et cetera.

So, how is this useful knowledge?

1) To the victims of Release Grabs, it will help you to break free a specific way to end the infinite, such as mashing jump with Ness/Lucas vs Marth.

2) This creates set ups. It allows the grabber to influence how the enemy is released depending on who he/she is grabbing, to appropriately follow it up. i.e. Kneeing Wario a few, letting him go intentionally through the air, and following it up with an Tipped FSmash.

I plan on composing an entire list for you guys later, and throwing it into my Chain Grab thread, so check back there later on. I already have Marths list done, I will post it soon. :)

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
If you do the grab attack fast enough, the enemy (at least Ness and Lucas are) cannot escape by jumping.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
i dont think he was suggesting you could get out of it, but by chance they make a mistake its in your favor to break free using the jump button. (thats what it sounded like he was saying.

If the elevation is what matters, does that mean on some maps like temple, you might be able to chain/release grab some characters that you normally wouldent?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lucas can get out of marths by the jumping method? or does the marth screw up? i know ness cant do it. lucas is really good so people should be too scared of it.

this is ver yuseful info especially to marths to follow up with the fair. id like to see the list when ur done. ggs

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Lucas can DI out of Marth's grab to the best of my knowledge. However, this free Fair on Wario (And others) seems highly useful. Nice topic.

Azzizaz

Smash Apprentice
So pretty much you're saying that if you learn which character match ups have which types of grab releases, you can follow up with an appropriate attack.

Ulevo

Smash Master
So pretty much you're saying that if you learn which character match ups have which types of grab releases, you can follow up with an appropriate attack.
Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. For certain characters, I can envision this being an effective damage dealing or KO strategy. If properly performed, Marth will always land a tipped Fair 100% of the time on Meta Knight from a volunteered released. Although harder to land, I can also see someone perfecting a tipped FSmash off a released grab as well against Wario. I have only done Marth so far, but the possibilities are there.

Also, this lets Ness/Lucas users know how to break from Marth properly. Like DarkStraw stated, it doesn't guarantee a break, but it will guarantee the proper break if you do manage to get out.

Top Bottom