• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you get out of Zelda's UpSmash/F-Smash?

•Col•

Smash Champion
I've just recently started to play as Zelda, and I've been reading that it's possible to escape her Forward Smash and her Up Smash through Directional influence, but I can't seem to do it (neither can any of my friends). So I'm wondering, what exactly am I doing wrong?

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Hah! Me thinks that you're someone who can't beat Zelda and/or want some tips on beating her because you main someone else.

HAH! I'M NOT TELLING YOU!
=P

leogeo2

Smash Cadet
I've seen this happen the most on short sized characters. When eating an Usmash you would just move either left or right. Friend 'o mine believes tapping shield will help the process a bit.

As for the Fsmash, I've tested this a bit and I've seen people just literally fall right out of it without the need of DI at all. But if you do want to DI out of it you'd just have to move away from Zelda's direction. You'll avoid getting hit by the smash part of the attack this way.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
It's somewhat difficult to DI out of her smash attacks in Brawl if she connects you properly, but yeah, what they said works.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Hah! Me thinks that you're someone who can't beat Zelda and/or want some tips on beating her because you main someone else.

HAH! I'M NOT TELLING YOU!
=P
Haha, no I really play Zelda. My friend was getting upset for getting trapped into her Up smash every time, and I told him that it was possible to escape it somehow. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help... Still having trouble with her Up Smash though... D:

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
Haha, no I really play Zelda. My friend was getting upset for getting trapped into her Up smash every time, and I told him that it was possible to escape it somehow. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help... Still having trouble with her Up Smash though... D:
i think you can di out of it but not always
btw i also like ephraim not fe8 the game just ephraim:)

•Col•

Smash Champion
i think you can di out of it but not always
btw i also like ephraim not fe8 the game just ephraim:)
Uh.... Ephraim? o-o If you're talking about my avatar (Err, before I switched it...), that was Sothe from the most recent Fire Emblem. Here's a pic of him: http://eaichu250.superbusnet.com/feartwork/FireEmblem10Wii/Sothe.jpg

Why would you tell your friend how to escape it if you want to win?
Well, he was getting really pissed and screamed at me saying it was impossible, because he's "tried everything"... xD

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Great! We've told the secret about escaping Zelda's Fsmash and Usmash, now this thread should be deleted.

:p

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Why would you tell your friend how to escape it if you want to win?
If you want to play competitvely, you need to make sure your friends are giving you legitimate competition.

Why would you want to practice against people who don't know how to play?
That will just leave you grossly unprepared for the real deal.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Also, if you're so unfortunate as to not being short and light, if you're only very lightly caught in the Usmash you may DI upwards to get out.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
If you want to play competitvely, you need to make sure your friends are giving you legitimate competition.
telling them how to beat you won't make them better. They need to work at it themselves.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
telling them how to beat you won't make them better. They need to work at it themselves.
Thats true generally speaking, but for specific tricks such as WANTING to DI out of something but not knowing how .. well, I think thats a little different.

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
character that r small have a better chance of getting out of up smash randomly. in general i dont think you can get out of it. for forward smash just hold up on the joystick.

oze6000

Smash Apprentice
Really, its not like DI is that big of a secret, most people are probably trying it anyways while they're getting ***** by a smash, what else is there to do? Those smashes are effin LONG. =P

Veggie123

Smash Journeyman
Being overly reliant on f/usmash will obviously prompt people to find ways around it.

Escaping fsmash is pretty common knowledge, though I don't exactly remember if you can escape it if tap jump is turned off. It's possible to get out of usmash anytime (except at the end) by repeated smash DI. Granted, even if people are aware of being able to escape usmash, majority of them will not know how to apply that knowledge consistently enough anyway. The ones that can most likely know how to escape it, it's no big secret! This by no means renders them (completely) useless, it just raises the need to be aware of the consequences of reckless spamming.

Top Bottom