• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scrub-Proof: Ike Match Up Thread-CC: Metaknight

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
well most people seem to agree that the ike boards are crap. There are plenty of threads that talk about Ike owning and some very stupid ones like Ike the pizza man. It really sucks that those threads get made every 2 days and we only have 2-3 threads that are actually helping Ike out.

Ever since fishkeepertimmy switched mains Ike was left with an incomplete match thread and i don't believe I'm qualified to make a new one so I thought that we could all get together and make one together.

I am trying to model this thread after Versatile's thread incase you didn't notice so some general things to post are:

1. what works and what doesn't work against characters
2. tricks they use and that we should be using
3. how other characters are played
4. how we should play against them
5. videos about the character we are discussing
6. stages to use

CC stands for current character ill be updating changing it every few days or once I see that the character has been pretty much covered. I am willing to take suggestions on characters to choose next and will most likely need them.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~Bertrand Russell
this seems to describe the Ike forums perfectly right now so hopefully this thread falls out side of this trend. which means we need intelligent posts.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Metaknight: right now I don't know much about him right now except for a few basic things so add to this very very limited information. ill be looking for some Metaknights to fight later on so i can get an idea of what he can do.

-he fast and can combo you into his k0 moves.
-he can gimp you very easily so watch out for that
-his B moves can build up damage on you but are pretty easy to handle with your long reach. if you don't know the speed and distance of his Match tornado and his drill rush yet all you have to do is counter them.
-he is light

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You should probably check out the video thread and the MK forums to see if they have vids of MK vs Ike.

I'll contribute to this thread as much as I can.

Ike needs to be very patient in this match. Lure MK in and bait him with well spaced Nairs. Play defensively. When he rushes you make him eat a nair or fair as you DI back. Do not aggro him. You will lose. Your main killer will probably be u-tilt in this match and maybe f-tilt. I woud not advise using any of your smashes since the risk is too great and MK is very fast and can punish you easily.

If you block an attack from MK then you need to shield drop jab combo.

Play smart and play safe.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
I think ftilt is a great move against Metaknight. In general ftilt works great against some characters and horrible against others. With MK however, ftilt can hit him out of those tornadoes and drills. I would worry a bit about his Dsmash. A n00bish MK will abuse it, get it downgraded and make it useless. Much like a n00bish Wolf with his Dsmash. However, a good MK will safe it for that KO, making it pretty deadly. Just make sure you DI everything up.

I wouldn't use counter too much. Try saving it for a predicted Shutteloop (upb). It's pretty hard to get the hang off at first but very rewarding when you do. I for one do think Ike does pretty good against a MK compared to other characters. His reach is the major thing he has going. The killing at low % the second. MK will be at an advantage, but he won't be able to wreck you just as easily as with other characters. Except for his combos of course. Ike is so heavy any MK move can combo into any other, so to speak.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Maybe the TC should concentrate on helping the match-ups n Empy's thread?

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I don't know what TC is.

I was actually going to try that at first but his guide didn't get very many replies and versatile's thread did so I wanted to try this out. I also gave him permission to use what ever info he finds useful on here on his guide so by posting here your helping him out too.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
fairs is pretty good in theorycraft
since mk will pretty much be chasing u the entire game. retreating F-airs outrange and are pretty safe seeing as you can land back on the ground quickily.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
wall infinites on him work wonders too since up tilt at 90% will kill meta knight. SO whenever you're on a stage with a wall just keep your positioning handy. Just don't go after it's obvious.

forward smash hits thru side B and CAN outrange, but barely, glide attack.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
well yesterday ( surprisingly) i fought my 1st decent metaknight and while i was talking to him he said to expect a lot of match tornadoes against Ike. he would actually do them right next to him so i really didn't have any time to Ftilt him but i noticed that after the tornado he is pretty much helpless ( I couldn't tell if he was actually incapable of doing anything or not) so if you can block it you might get an opening big enough for an up smash. also if the tornado doesn't send you flying you can FF and hit him with an Fair or Dair.

as for his drill rush i found that Fair can also out range it and are a bit easier to aim i think. this move of course leaves metaknight helpless if he does it in the air so take advantage of that but if he does it on the ground and you block it the move still has enough lag to get an Ftilt in maybe even an Fsmash if your already right next to him but I really don't know.

now since Empy said that a good metaknight will drop these moves a few other things i noticed is that his running grab is pretty good but if you dodge it you can just turn around and do an AAA combo before he has time to react maybe some other things but I didn't try anything else out.

And finally His attack out of his glide also has good knock back and can k0 you at high % which is something pretty easy for metaknight to get you too so watch out for it if you dodge a glide or jump at him to try and kill him. ( should I even be trying that?)

Top Bottom