• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. Ike

sprittles

Smash Apprentice
I am in the final round of tournaments at my school tommoror, over 100 people participated and Its just Me and some guy that plays as Ike.

Any Ike tips?

MMhawk607

Smash Rookie
Ness is pretty light so any (and i mean ANY) smash attacks by Ike would send Ness flying and have a danger of going off screen

probably spam up a lot of pk fires since they pillar and hit the enemy multiple times

also PK Flash and PK thunders would help; anything to keep away from being sent flying

since Ness is faster than ike, once you get ike's damage meter high enough move in and trying getting in Forward Smashes (the bat)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness is not light. Why do people assume that? He's a mid weight, right around Mario and Pit.

PKT mindgames are great on Ike. Use PKT to edgeguard also. Tailwhip him when he needs to drop below the stage to use Aether and push the head in front of quick draw to make Ike slash at it and stop to fall to his doom.

PK Jump. LOTS
Range = pain
PK Jump= Painkiller

Ike should be fullhopping many aerials and utilizing his huge range. Do NOT approach him while he uses the nair, it goes everywhere. Airdodge and get him as he comes down, he cannot use another aerial before he lands.

You can duck under short hoppped RARed bairs.

A pefectly timed PK Flash owns Aether recovery.

I've played a really good Ike lately, and this is what I have gathered.

menofuntall

Smash Cadet
If Ike whiffs a move, chances are you can punish with a PK Fire. Whatever you do next depends on Ike's percentage. Also, PK Thunder mindgames. Ike's pretty bad at mobility, so you can pressure him very well with it. If he gets predictable with his Aether (which he probably will, given Ike's options for recovery), use a well-timed PK Flash and destroy him as he hits the peak of Aether.

But watch out for his Bair and Jab combo. Both are fast and pretty strong (especially the Bair). He'll probably start throwing out Bairs when you get into KO, or at least edgeguardable, percents. His Nair is lagless when he lands, so don't be fooled into thinking you can punish him. Uair has high priority and is lethal, so you should try to avoid being juggled when possible. Break it with a PSI Magnet if you can. Speaking of Nair, bonus points if you PK Wind him and he Nairicides.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hmm, let's see...

1. PK Flash ***** aether so use it to edgeguard if he tries to use it as a recovery. Make it "explode" right before be grabs the ledge. You can try this with quickdraw (that's what its called, isn't is?) too but it's better just to edgehog.

2. A whiffed eruption, quick draw, aether, counter... heck, everything except his bair, f-tilt, grabs, and jab equals a PK fire to the face. Follow up with a grab and you've got yourself the start of a string of attacks. My old standby against Ike players is PK fire, grab, down throw, shfair, and then, depending on how he DI's, another fair or a nair.

3. Wait for openings instead of charging in like an idiot. His jab and ftilt can stop just about any charge dead in it's tracks unless you're very confident in your powershield/shield grabing.

4. If you get stuck next to him while rolling or just anytime, watch out for the usmash and utilt.

5. The beginning stages of PKT2 and PK fire beats out a fully charged quick draw. Just something to think about if your opponent likes to abuse it.

6. Gimp, for the love of God! That's what Ness's fair and bair were invented for and Ike's aerial game is garbage compared to yours.

7. Don't be afraid to harrass with PK thunder if he's up in the air or if he's a decent distance away.

8. If you REALLY want to mess him up, choose Skyworld as the stage you fight on. :laugh: Most of his attacks do a decent amount of damage against the blocks in the stage and I can't tell you how many times I've seen an Ike player fall to their death from whiffing a smash attack, breaking the block under his feet and falling through the clouds. Also, see Ike's below average recovery. Ness's Fthrow and bthrow can lead to a ton cheap of KO's in this stage too. Needless to say, Skyworld is probably Ike's worst stage.

I hope this helps.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
No, do NOT punish a quick draw. YOU will be punished. I learned this the hard way, it has NO lag. It's one of his better approaches.

Watch out for that jab also. DI downand away from Ike on the first 2 hits. A good Ike will jab cancel then grab you.

Do NOT be predictable with your trajectory after his dthrow. A good Ike will follow you if you DI away and double jump and punish with a hyphen smash.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
But he can use HIS jab right out of quick draw.

Oh, and if he is charging a quick draw for a long time, jump over him and send PKT under Ness right in Ike's path. He will either take the bolt or release the charge, hit the bolt, and leave you to safty.

Gindler

Smash Champion
My best "strategy" is to just get him in a PK Fire, that just ***** Ike cause he can't get out of it to save his life. Oh and everyone hear said the best things already.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
But he can use HIS jab right out of quick draw.

Oh, and if he is charging a quick draw for a long time, jump over him and send PKT under Ness right in Ike's path. He will either take the bolt or release the charge, hit the bolt, and leave you to safty.
Wait... what? So are you saying to jump over him as he's charging towards you and then hit him in the back with PK thunder or jump above him as he's charging at you and then use PK thunder to hit him from above?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Wait... what? So are you saying to jump over him as he's charging towards you and then hit him in the back with PK thunder or jump above him as he's charging at you and then use PK thunder to hit him from above?
N = Ness
I = Ike
_____ = Floor
< and > = directions of attack
..... = nothing
***= path of PKT

1. Ike charges quick draw
N__________<I

2. Ness jumps out of its path
.........N
___________<I

3. Ness sends PKT under him into Ike's path
.....**N
...*
__*****>__<I

4. Ike has no chioce. He cannot stop charging. He can release the charge and plow into PKT, or stay there and get hit.

Browny

Smash Hater
harass him with pk thunder until he cries for you to stop. whenever im against ikes, i just annoy the hell out of the with pk fire and thunder, playing keep away. its so easy to bait ike into any attack, you should be able to approach him, wait for a utilt/counter and land with enough time to grab him.

just keep your distance as much as possible, except when going for the KO, stick to the bthrow. its hard to kill ike with aerials when his have such huge range, attempting a u-air against his eruption is just asking for death. bthrow should kill ike every time at 120%.

Levitas

the moon
Ike has a few moves you need to anticipate and the rest you can react to.

1. jab combo. if he hits you with the first one, DI back immediately, and try to shield. If he whiffs the first hit, but continues, shield. if he's way far away, pk fire or something.

2. utilt. Avoid being in front of/in front and above him. utilt is fast and deadly. If you approach, it's not a huge problem, but don't hang out in his face for long.

3. bair. It's fast and deadly. If your friend with the ike is good, don't be behind him when he's in a shield, he can just jump out and bair. charge a usmash on the shield or something if it comes to that.

4. Nair > jab combo. it combos. Just don't be in his face.

5. Grab. It's another fast one, and def. outranges Ness's

there's been some discussion on quickdraw already, but here's some clarification. If Ike quickdraws and doesn't find a target, he can jab immediately. If he would have hit, but you either roll or spot-dodge, he swings the sword and has lag. You can punish him for that.

you can pretty much just wait for him to do something like run at you and just punish his missed attacks, because you shouldn't be hit by any of the attacks that he's got once you know his range and can avoid the five attacks I listed.

Bthrow him at ~145% for the sure kill. just DO NOT use bthrow on him before that.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
one little reminder. when edge guarding, make sure you try to hit him on his back(behind him) with your PKT. doing this will cause him to fly backwards, and not towards you. This will make it tuffer for him to get back to the stage.

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
Make sure you use your range! thats your most important thing on him...also, if you use pk flash it can be a good edgeguard against his aether.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
N = Ness
I = Ike
_____ = Floor
< and > = directions of attack
..... = nothing
***= path of PKT

1. Ike charges quick draw
N__________<I

2. Ness jumps out of its path
.........N
___________<I

3. Ness sends PKT under him into Ike's path
.....**N
...*
__*****>__<I

4. Ike has no chioce. He cannot stop charging. He can release the charge and plow into PKT, or stay there and get hit.
Ah, I see... I'll have to try this out.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Good you understand.

Anyways, despite what I have made it sounds like, Ness is stilll at an advantage in this match.

Kros

Smash Apprentice
PK Fire. Ike's have problems just getting out of it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I wonder if he had his match yet? Anyways, another bad stage for Ike is Luigi's Mansion. The pillars make his quickdraw advances much easier to dodge and it's among the easiest stage to gimp him on. Also, to consideribly slow down his advances and make his movements much more predictible, use PK fire on the pillars to create literal walls of fire. I've also noticed that this works great against Snake players who like to overuse the Mortar Slide and Metaknight players who overuse Mach Tornado.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
PKF pillar is not just for trapping. It stops things. Great for all of the above and King Dedede's waddle dees and Pikmin (obviously not red).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
quickdraw, bair, grab, and utilt are to truly watch out for. gimp, and stick to the air, despite his range, but be careful.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
If hes a noob that uses quickdraw to recover this is what you do.

Jump off the stage. Jump in his line of fire. Air Dodge.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
About that quick draw gimping thing, if you need to change your fall speed to keep up with Ike, use the PSIM fall stall.

Also, they usually release quick draw around the sweetspot of th stage. If you shoot PKF straight forward by the edge, Ike will hit the PKF then stop.

Another good way to edgeguard Ikes who use quick draw is with PKT False edgeguard. That's when you hover PKT around the edge to trick your opponents into landing behind you. You then use the PKT you sent out to blast yourself towards the opponent who just landed behind you.

On Ike, put PKT below the edge, creating a wall between him and it. He will be forced to land behind you, or to get tailwhipped. If he lands behind you, PKTFE. If he doesn't, you can try to gimp his recovery with PKT.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
What, no fair?
I suppose you guys know more than me, but barely anyone has mentioned any aeiral comboing. Perhaps my Ike friend just sucks that bad.

On yet another side note, there are a lot of new threads now. What's goin on?

_clinton

Smash Master
I like Ike ^_^

Yeah I just had to say it...one of my brother's main was (I say was because as things would turn out...he hates SSBB) Ike as well ^_^

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
why is the title marked with a thumbs down? You might give Ike players the false sense that Ness is bad on them :mad:

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
Remind me, but can Ness avoid Ike's jab combo after breaking out of his grab? If not, then that's definitely something to worry about. Especially since Ike can jab cancel into his grab again (or a number of other things) if you're not careful.

Top Bottom