• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lost to a Wolf.... Wow..

JSTN!

Smash Rookie
I lost to a wolf todayyy..... Omg... I am so not used to playing Wolf. I don't know much strategys with wolf. any tips?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
I might be able to help. What happened? At what points did you experience the most trouble? Give me some information about the fight to work with.

Levitas

the moon
I think we can assume you saw a lot of lasers, dsmash, bair, and perhaps some ftilt/fsmash stuff.

Ness's magnet's pretty slow, but if you stand at the edge of his laser range, you can magnet cancel and it'll make him go aggro, which is bad for wolf. Once that happens, he'll be using more bairs than anything to approach (if at a lower level, maybe fsmash). The important thing is not to let them hit you. Punish him on the ground and in the air with good spacing.

once he's knocked off, tailwhip edgeguard like nobody's business. or even tailwhip to bolt him a couple of times to get him in bthrow killing percent. your call.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I hate Wolf, my worst matchup. I'd take Marth and Metaknight over Wolf any day.

Dsmash is a pain in the asss against your shield. Your best bet IMO is to double shuffle a coule of nairs if he starts going at you a few times with these.

The fsmash isn't a big deal IMO. Fair stops it dead in its tracks and leads to combos.

the lasers are the worst. I ****ing HATE them
Use the PSIM lag cancel as stated above by Levitas. Check out PK Cross to find out how if you dont know already. I reccomend using a charged usmash after the lag cancel since they will have a good chance of running into it.
Wolves are campy somtimes. They laser and roll to stay on defense. You can punish his rolling with skid and dash mindgames. Also, reverse hyphen smashing and RARing fairs can help. You have to predict where they will go though. It's all about mindgames in this match.

Once he's off stage, edgeguarding is easy. Tailwhips kill Wolf and use your nair to push him away. The dair is hard to use since he moves so fast in Fire Wolf, but you can use it if you desire.

_clinton

Smash Master
I find the best way to deal with a Wolf is to take to the air a bit when I've noticed that my ground game isn't working with him or something else...but meh...

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
Ness boards sure have changed over the last few months...
Wolf used to be a huge problem.
Or is this whole thread sarcastic?

JSTN!

Smash Rookie
Man thanks for feedback. yeah its freaking frustrating as hell. the gun and his smash attacks killed me. I duno i'm just really not used to playing wolf at all.

Levitas

the moon
Nobody is. Fact.

Actually, I lost to a wolf player yesterday after telling him only to laser, dsmash, fsmash, bair, and occasionally grab. It's like Ness has to really outplay wolf to win.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
The fsmash isn't a big deal IMO. Fair stops it dead in its tracks and leads to combos.
IF you can see it coming. The range and speed of that thing, compounded with the damage it does, is incredibly irritating. Fair might be able to help you, but rarely will you catch a Wolf Side smashing with a full fair. That's just my opinion, though.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
OMG....Wolf Killer Strategy for all of you...Most of his attacks force leave him open for a short second and you have to exploit. Perfect shield the lasers. when he F smashes you have to spot dodge..Nair...when it hits him back..Fair..he'll probably roll away and fire the laser so take out the magnet if you'd like. If he tries to hit you again spot dodge and nair again. His dmash is pretty easy to shield.. through the match just use nair when he goes for the fsmash, d smash and when he's in the air bair... or sparkles...Tail whip him and it will always mess up his recovery. It's hard to land a PKt2 on Wolf so your best bet is to get one when he tries to get back on stage. watch his rcovery and time the Pk thunder right and if you mess up just zap him with one and continue with the nair tactic

Aggression

Smash Apprentice
I hate Wolf, my worst matchup. I'd take Marth and Metaknight over Wolf any day.

Dsmash is a pain in the asss against your shield. Your best bet IMO is to double shuffle a coule of nairs if he starts going at you a few times with these.

the lasers are the worst. I ****ing HATE them
Use the PSIM lag cancel as stated above by Levitas. Check out PK Cross to find out how if you dont know already. I reccomend using a charged usmash after the lag cancel since they will have a good chance of running into it.
Wolves are campy somtimes. They laser and roll to stay on defense. You can punish his rolling with skid and dash mindgames. Also, reverse hyphen smashing and RARing fairs can help. You have to predict where they will go though. It's all about mindgames in this match.

Once he's off stage, edgeguarding is easy. Tailwhips kill Wolf and use your nair to push him away. The dair is hard to use since he moves so fast in Fire Wolf, but you can use it if you desire.
wolf is garbage to ness and lucas...
pk fire BURNS through his laser, thunder gimps him, Ness' back throw murders him
and virtually all of the earthbounders airs beat his Fsmash
NOT TO EVEN mention u can ABSORB his blaster

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Well the whole "exploit him when he's down" thing goes for anyone, and on top of that, any decent Wolf player will pick up on your defensive stance really quickly, and so they'll change their strategy up. They might not even approach with any of those attacks... but yes, spot-dodging with Wolf is crucial, so long as you don't screw up on a down smash.

No, no he is not. He's generally faster, he has attacks that have pretty good range for their power (without the lag of Lucas's up smash or Ness's PK Fire for the most part), and his air game can run with either of those two. Sure, his recovery isn't exactly fullproof, but neither are the Earthbounders'. Not to mention the reflector, which Wolf will throw out when you get too close.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
pk fire BURNS through his laser, thunder gimps him, Ness' back throw murders him
and virtually all of the earthbounders airs beat his Fsmash
NOT TO EVEN mention u can ABSORB his blaster
Most Wolf players use that to their advantage. Get close enough and shoot and as they take out the magnet they smash or do a aerial. Magnet canceling works but sometimes you get the timing off :( and it hard to hit his laser with your fire

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
Most Wolf players use that to their advantage. Get close enough and shoot and as they take out the magnet they smash or do a aerial. Magnet canceling works but sometimes you get the timing off :( and it hard to hit his laser with your fire
Exactly. I would only throw out a magnet if Wolf was firing at me from a very far range, and even then, I'd probably only use Lucas's magnet for a chance to catch Wolf with that. Ness's does come out faster, but with that range, it doesn't matter. Up close, it's always better to perfect shield, or even just shield. That Blaster's main purpose isn't to damage, but instead to bait.

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
It is? I read in the guide that Ness's is faster. To be frankly honest, the speed difference between the two is negligible to me.

EDIT: Whoops, I read that Ness's is faster as compared to him in Melee. Sooorry.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
PSIM isn't used for healing the blasters, it's for stopping them. Seriously, 5%? Why go out of your way for that?

Brinzy

NNID
Brinzy
PSIM isn't used for healing the blasters, it's for stopping them. Seriously, 5%? Why go out of your way for that?
It's more around 8%, which I think is better than nothing at all. Also, if the idea is to just stop them, then they can be shielded.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
vs wolf. I recommend maintaining your space so that you are close enough so that you can punish him for using his blaster but far away enough so that he can't use his more dangerous moves to approach or attack. He'll really be limited to using his shine (invincibility frames but lags after usage) his Fsmash (still quick but you have a better chance of blocking it from farther away) and his blaster. If he tries to approach he can usually be punished since the only thing worth mentioning for his air game is his Bair which is most likely to be used. Both Ness and Lucas have him beat in that area.

I don't use the psychic brats too much (endearing term) but I think Ness would be better for facing Wolf. Mainly since Wolf's aerial game is below par so when you move to punish him from the air, he really can't do much in such a situation and I find Ness' aerial game to be better than Lucas' (IMO I don't use them as much)
Perfect shielding is really important since if you have the right spacing you can shield then toss him out the arena for an edge guard. Even if you don't gimp him to death you will still rack up damage making it more easy for you to kick him off again for another chance to gimp him.

I hate Wolf even if he is my favorite type of animal.

YumClock

Smash Apprentice
I've never heard the word "brat" used as an endearing term.
I thought PK magnet was just used if your opponent sucks at edgeguarding and spams projectiles. Isn't it way too slow to use in actual combat?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Even when you magnet from all the way across the stage and heal yourself, Wolfs tend to use their blaster a lot less, even when in closer range. It's a good psych to be able to heal one or two blasts early in the match.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah, the blasters heal more the closer they are, but you are really going to only wanna absorb them when they heal about 5%. The closer you are, the more dangerous your situation is, unless you can magnet cancel.

Falcon...Puuunch!

Smash Cadet
Meh, I find the magnet pretty useless unless we're both at opposite ends of the stage. Any closer and teh magnet's lag will work against you, no matter how much you get healed.

Top Bottom