• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Guides

∫unk

Smash Master
Hey everyone, this is a compilation of great threads on this forum will advance Marth's metagame (or already have!), all in one thread for your convenience.

Big thanks to SamuraiPanda for the sticky.

If you think something else should be in here let me know.

Guides!
Yellow is for New players.
Blue for Medium.
Red for Advance.
Green is for Everyone.

Emblem Dedication: A Competitive Marth Guide (by Ulevo) - Basically all the useful information that Marthians have gathered. If you're only going to read one thread on here I would recommend this one.

Marth FAQ (by Shaya) - Some common questions answered about Marth.

Q & A Thread (by Pierce7d) - If a question isn't answered in the above FAQ thread just ask here.

The Wifi Marth Thread (by BengalsZ) - Find some wifi buddies to play by posting in this thread.

Marth Matchups (by Steel2nd) - Covers the top/high tier extremely well. Includes links to all character discussions.

Playing Smart with Marth (by Steel2nd) - If you have no idea how to approach or have no grasp on Marth's basic metagame, read this.

Semi-Advance Marth stuff (by Junk) - This thread has a bunch of little tricks which will speed up your game for various non-neutral situations.

How to get way better with Marth (by Junk) - The most recent thread (as of Jan 2009) on Marth's current metagame.

Marth Frame Data (by Steel2nd) - For advance players seeking knowledge on frame data for Marth.

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread (by Steel2nd) - IF YOU WANT YOUR MARTH CRITIQUED AND YOU HAVE A VIDEO, POST HERE. One of our very own veterans will give you a breakdown of your game and where you can improve.

Counterpick Stage Discussion (by BengalsZ) - Describes and discusses the correct bans and counterpicks for various matchups.

Aggressive vs. Defensive (by Steel2nd) - An essay on aggressive vs. defensive play and how it pertains to you as a Marth player.

Ledge Traps Against You and Your Opponent (by Steel2nd) - Are you getting ledge ***** or can't do anything when they're on the ledge? This is for you.

A guide on fighting Metaknight (by Havok) - A useful, up to date guide on your options versus the dirty Metaknight.

Take 2: A guide on fighting Metaknight (by Kadaj) - Basically another take/more information on this stupid character.

A guide on fighting Snake (by TKD+ITA+Mar=) - Snake is also ridiculously good. Here's an in depth guide to give you all the tools you need to beat him.

How to beat Intense Boss Battles with Marth (by Shadow Light Master) - When you're tired of Brawling and want the challenge of beating the Intense Boss Battles, look here to help you get through it.

Video Thread 2.0 (by Steel2nd)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208505 - A thread of a few good Marth videos.

MBR Presents: Marth AT DS Ledge Grab (by 3xSwords)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216620 - A faster way to regrab the ledge after you drop by using your up b.

An In Depth Look at Footstool Spiking (by shadowofchaos725)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217053 - If you want to know exactly which characters can get footstool spiked by d-air and how loook here.

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, first post.

Good stuff, I've read all these threads before.
Keep em comin everyone.

∫unk

Smash Master
Good stuff. About ime someone made this.

Ya think Emblem's grab game thread should be added? Or is it too old?
I don't think anything particularly useful came out of the thread. His set-up thread really is the extension of his grab thread.

You should add this one. I found it very helpful.

A Guide to Marth's Gimping Game Categorized by Character:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166806
I will add it for now... Does anyone want to update this by making a new one? The person who originally made it doesn't seem to be very active on these forums, and many of the numbers/strategies are outdated... it's also weird how 10 is easy and 1 is hard.

Is there a thread dedicated to fighting Snake here?

If so, then I feel it should be included.
There isn't one, but that's a great idea. I expect one will come up soon :)

Do you guys think I should add a basic summary by each link? For people that don't have time to read all of them. Let me know.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
when i saw the title i thought it was going to be something completely different than what it really is and i actualy thought it would be kinda dum but then i saw it stickied and looked at it. its epic but the title should be changed to something like marth guide finder
EDIT: there you go:)

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys think I should add a basic summary by each link? For people that don't have time to read all of them. Let me know.
That's a really good idea. You could even turn this into an all encompassing mini guide with links to the more in-depth discussion. It's a lot of work though and not entirely necessary...

∫unk

Smash Master
Thanks everyone. I will work on the descriptions today. If you find any other useful threads (or posts with good information) let me know! It doesn't have to be for competitive Marth either... I just added a single player intense boss guide for those that are bored with practicing :)

∫unk

Smash Master
I finally got around to adding descriptions! Hope that helps those that don't have time to read all those threads.

I took out Torn's Gimping Game thread as it was extremely outdated and not accurate anymore. If someone would like to create an updated one that would be awesome.

∫unk

Smash Master
I'm going to start updating this, and taking out some old threads.

I already took out the M2K thread because it's outdated, and added the weekly matchup thread. Check it out!

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
hiya, i'm new to marth!

just wondering, what moves should i avoid using, what are some general tactics unique to marth, what moves should i avoid using, and what are the most popular color alts for marth (i like using the unpopular ones).

(my mains are: sheik, kinda zelda (she's an ex-main, now more of a compliment to sheik), jigglypuff, zamus, ice climbers.)

cman

Smash Ace
hiya, i'm new to marth!

just wondering, what moves should i avoid using, what are some general tactics unique to marth, what moves should i avoid using, and what are the most popular color alts for marth (i like using the unpopular ones).

(my mains are: sheik, kinda zelda (she's an ex-main, now more of a compliment to sheik), jigglypuff, zamus, ice climbers.)
I suppose black, white, red, and blue are the most popular. I'm not sure though. I personally like green and black the best.

Don't use smashes unless they will kill the person in general (certain exceptions, but start out trying to abide by it) because they are very easily punished. Don't use the two non-autocancelled aerials on land (dair and bair).

Unique to marth? I guess shield->upB is extremely sexy. Abuse it as needed... Spacing plays a much more important role to marth's game than most other characters, so practice a lot. Make sure you can short hop and implement it into your game. Dtilt is very good.

That's all i can think of right now. Anyway, Marth is an super cool character, and, imo, the most fun to play. Have fun learning. Practice spacing!

F1r3w0lf

Smash Apprentice
Stop having a boring tuna...stop having a boring l
hiya, i'm new to marth!

Probably the least popular color is the alt. blue (or Melee blue), his last color. Green is also unpopular. Blue, black, white, and red are the most popular. As for moves, avoid Dair if there's not a good chance of a spike, because it can't be auto-canceled and has a long recovery on the ground. Dolphin slash takes forever to get back down and is completely vulnerable, but it's got some great uses. Shield Breaker is slow to start up, but basically all Marth's moves are powerful and fast if used correctly, read guides for more.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Dolphin Slash is a great move when used out of shield because it has invincibility frames for the first five frames, and therefore you can use it to escape tight situations.

Awesomesauce

Smash Rookie
just wondering, can marth use a good decent combo against EVERYONE. like some combos can be used on heavy opponents like ddd but when i try to use it on like a mk player it wont work as well. for example.....
SH forward B to ff uair to SH nair or replace the SH nair to SH forward B to fair.

∫unk

Smash Master
db in the air looks sexy and works against everyone but good people

seriously though sh db works on floaty chars (wario/jiggz) and big chars but it's not recommended to spam. like maybe once or twice a match at most.

and pierce i'll add your thing when i'm not so lazy i know i've put it off for a while i'll get to it this weekend.

Top Bottom