• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Newport, KY weekly tournaments are over until next summer =)

clowsui

Smash Legend
As a guaranteed attendant over the summer to your Mondays and possibly Wednesdays...(I'm most likely going this week; finals today)

1. We need counterpick stages. It's just one of those tournament things; you don't run tournaments without counterpicks because they offer a much wider variety of intelligent and creative play.
2. 3 stock, please...if not 3 stock then bump the time limit up to 10:00 like the Japanese are. 4 stock on average for good players takes at least 6 minutes.
3. Put your time at 5:00, last time I went (sometime in January) we started at like 2 and we weren't even done by 6:00....so put it earlier because people will come late.
4. Have more than two setups, the two HDs in front are fine but we need at least one more; the one in the back is fine too. Two setups means everyone is waiting.

Thanks, and I'll (most likely) see you Wednesday!

Taso

Smash Apprentice
They're starting after this week. Wednesday the 28th is the first official one.

Yes, I'm certainly looking at counter picks and a few other things.

Today there's a first preliminary tournament which will help me decide how to change the rule set.

Thanks for your input.

Kel

Smash Master
1) Kel (C. Falcon, fox, Metaknight, Marth, Game and Watch)
2) Eduardo (Wolf, Ness, R.O.B, Lucario)
3) Dr. X (Pit, Falco, Metaknight)

Grand finals were Kel (GAW) Vs. Eduardo (Ness)

smash64

Smash Champion
you know when i first got there i thought the tourney will get cancelled becuase there wasnt no one there lol but im glad i stayed for a while and got to play every one that showed up oh and congrats to Kel for winning the tournament i look forward of fighting you again hopefully on wednesday night ^.^

clowsui

Smash Legend
Doctor X told me there was only one set up...if so, then that's a big =( If we brought a Wii in could we have possibly two setups?

BF, Smashville, YI, Lylat and FD - those should be the neutrals....Lylat on the maybe scale. Counterpicks - you should put up a list at the tentative stage at the very least

3 stock 7 mins for first two, 4 stock 10 min for breaker. Makes more sense that way, I think...

I'll be there on Wednesday, but I hope you'll have some nicer rules by then. I'll still come if there's bad rules, just saying...

Taso

Smash Apprentice
"Bad" is such a harsh word. I'd use a more friendly, "Unresearched".

Yes, the rules are going through quite the change in the next week.

Counterpicks have been looked through pretty thoroughly while Smashville and YI have been added as neutrals. I disagree with Lylat as a Neutral for a number of reasons, though it'll definitely be a counterpick.

Several other rules are being examined, though most are going to be determined by how many people show up at the next one.

A new poster is being made to attract more attention as the old one was a bit bland and uninteresting.

So rest assured, changes will be made.
I prefer to ease into things so I don't miss anything or take things a step too far.
I'm a cautious man.

This time there was only one setup because we had a guy ready to bring another one before the tournament started and he bailed on us. It was our fault for not expecting it as he's completely unreliable. We had a spare Wii at home, but by the time we found out that our guy flaked out on us, the tournament was already running a bit late.
Luckily, there were only 8 people.
Next week there will be two Wiis being brought by myself and a good buddy who will be driving with me so there's no chance of him flaking out.
If someone else would like to bring one as well JUST in case, that's completely fine, and probably encouraged.

Stock number will be changing, as will the idea of best 2/3 for many of the rounds.
I've also decided that if it can be prevented, I'd like to avoid using double elimination. I think it's kinda' stupid.

But again, things will be eased into. We have all summer to find the perfect system for us, and we'll do just that. In the meantime, let's just try to have fun.

Kel

Smash Master
changing it to 3 stock will help with the time issue. Also, having another setup will help tremendously. Double elim is almost a must though. You can get paired up against the one person you can't beat first round and lose the entire tournament based on luck.

I really don't care how you do stages/ characters. I'm all for trying new stuff. However, double elim is a no-brainer. I promise, time won't be as big of an issue with 3 stocks and multiple setups.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
changing it to 3 stock will help with the time issue. Also, having another setup will help tremendously. Double elim is almost a must though. You can get paired up against the one person you can't beat first round and lose the entire tournament based on luck.

I really don't care how you do stages/ characters. I'm all for trying new stuff. However, double elim is a no-brainer. I promise, time won't be as big of an issue with 3 stocks and multiple setups.
I agree with what he says. Double elimination and 3 stock sounds great ti me. If ur worried about time, then multiple setups will make it go faster.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
We all understand time constraints, but double elimination is very important. Nobody likes being knocked entirely out after only one match, and single elimination can be really unfair and arbitrary, especially if you seed the bracket randomly. For example, the second best player in the room might be matched against the best player in the room and get knocked out first round, winding up in absolute last even though he can beat 90% of the people in the room.

2/3 is also a staple for similar reasons-- double blind picks can get you on the wrong side of a bad matchup, which isn't as much of a big deal in Brawl as it was in Melee, admittedly, but I'm sure it will become so with time. Plus, allowing counterpick stages and characters for rounds 2 and 3 allow for more variety in the game. Without it, a lot of characters would hardly ever be chosen just to avoid those bad matchups, and you of course would only ever see the neutral stages.

You can help with the time constraints by having more setups... I'll bring mine next week. You can encourage others to do the same. Even just one more setup improves the speed of the tournament dramatically.

smash64

Smash Champion
yeah i wont be able to come i have to work at 5 it sucks but ill come to Dr. X place tuesday thoe hopefully ill see every one there

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ed, I didn't even notice last time I was in this thread. Congrats on second place. Too bad you can't make it on Wednesday. I think I might go just to see how I'll do after going back to Melee almost immediately after Brawl came out. Good luck to everyone, and I'll see you there (if I feel like going by tomorrow).

smash64

Smash Champion
thanks tony you should come to Dr. X house tuesday ppl are going to be playing ssb64 and melee and brawl so it gonna be a good

QUIVO

Smash Master
Shut up Sean. You guys need to start playing Brawl.

We play Melee occasionally, so that should give you an incentive to come over and play with us at Biweeklies.

Taso

Smash Apprentice
To all who were there today, great job. It's great to see so many skilled players all together.

Hopefully we'll start getting more players so that our skilled participants can get to the very end before they start wailing on each other. =P

Thanks again guys, great job!

Taso

Smash Apprentice
Ha, yeah, Pit's keeping the upper ranks.

That needs to stop =P

ZSS will be paying a visit next week. You'll see.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I had a fun time! I probably won't be there next week because my mom said I can only go to either the biweekly or the tournament, so after next week's training I should get at least to Semis in LB or WB....

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
I got 4th place so yeah, I enjoyed it somewhat. Not sure if I'll be there next week. Doubtful. Good matches all.
Also, Q, if you guys will play Melee then yeah, I might show up at these biweeklies. My biggest concern is that it'll just be me Sean and Chuck sitting in a corner playing Melee by ourselves while you guys play brawl. And I really enjoy playing it against people I never get to play anymore so, you know....

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I got 4th place so yeah, I enjoyed it somewhat. Not sure if I'll be there next week. Doubtful. Good matches all.
Also, Q, if you guys will play Melee then yeah, I might show up at these biweeklies. My biggest concern is that it'll just be me Sean and Chuck sitting in a corner playing Melee by ourselves while you guys play brawl. And I really enjoy playing it against people I never get to play anymore so, you know....
We actually had a lot of interest in Melee last time. Almost everybody there played it at some point. Tuesday, I'll still be sticking primarily to Brawl, but I will play Melee as well, and I know Q and Kel will, also.

Seriously, though, you guys should really try playing Brawl more. People are learning stuff, and there's a lot more to it than people first thought, though the lack of hitstun is still stupid. Cincinnati's turning out to be one of the better areas in the midwest, it seems. We'll be having large-scale tournaments at UC before long if the trend continues, and you don't want to miss out on that, do you? :)

Plus, we need a good Poke-trainer, Marth, and whoever Sean played (I didn't actually see him play, as far as I know >.>). Especially the Marth. I have almost no experience against that guy in Brawl.

Except last week just became a 'Kel-*****-everyone-at-melee' fest.
Yeah, most everyone stopped playing Brawl by the time the night was over. And you did **** as usual. It hurt a little more this time, though, since I myself could barely remember how to play. :(

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Was 4th place decided? Since I only lost to Justin(2nd place) and Doctor X(3rd Place)

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Was 4th place decided? Since I only lost to Justin(2nd place) and Doctor X(3rd Place)
Technically you and 2-Tone were tied for 5th, I think. There's usually no fourth place in a double-elimination bracket. I suppose you could compare your W-L records to decide, but since you played different people that could be unfair, and seeing as there's no prize there's really no need anyway. :ohwell:

Taso

Smash Apprentice
*points up*

What he said.

You can call it fourth or you can call it fifth.
Either way, 'twas no prize for a lack of participants.

20 people at 5$ each could give $40 for the winner, $15 for second, $10 for third, and the two tied for fourth/fifth(whichever you call it) would get their entry fee back.

Invite some scrubs...

And we could still up it to $10 per person. That would bring in some real prizes

QUIVO

Smash Master
I want to play Melee again, the last time I played Steve... I felt like I did so well with Marth.

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Well, I kinda want to rematch Kel in Melee since I ended up playing him first in my second Melee tournament back in the day and got *****. I've improved a lot since then and I'd like to see how I stack up now.
As far as playing Brawl goes, I might start playing a little more now after that tourney. I didn't think I'd fare so well since I hadn't played the game for so long. I guess I'll try to keep the Marth train rolling in Brawl and hope it doesn't screw up my Melee Marth any, lol.

As for the 4th place thing, I'm not worried about it. I don't need to place high to know how good I did. Doctor X, that last match with your Falco was nerve racking as hell. Btw, most of the u-throw's I did on you were Melee reflexes, heh.

Top Bottom