• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar

GoldC

Smash Rookie
Hello, I have a hard time winning against my friend over Wi-Fi, he's an Olimar mainer.

He's approaching slowly in the beginning, when I try to PKThunder him, he dodges it and starts Pikmin-spamming. After that I either try PKFire or roll and then Ftilt which kills some of the Pikmins. If i PKFire him he dashgrabs me and if I Roll->Ftilt then he moves closer and Pikmin-spams again which often leads to PKFire->He dashgrabs me or I roll->He dashgrabs me.

So, anyone have any tips? He's a kinda aggressive player, which is a problem 'cause I play aggressive too.

Excuse me if you don't understand me, but my egnlish isn't the very best (I'm swedish) and I'm probably a newbie if you compare to many other players on this forum.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Short hop up to him while spamming nairs to get through the Pikmin barrage. It spins them off and allows you to use another aerial in that one short hop.

Lay up on the PK since apparently you are being punished for it. If you wanna use it, use advanced PK Fire techniques like PK Jumping for offense, and pivot PK Fire and Firebounding for defense.

Spam your fair and nair to completely outprioritize him. Use usmashes also out of dash and shield to prevent punishment. I think charging a usmash stops Pikin thrown at you.

You outrange him in the air. Use Ness' setup attacks (usmash, dthrow, uthrow, dash attack, etc.) to put him up there then PWN.

Also remember his easily gimpable recovery. Edgehog.

GhosTim14

Smash Cadet
Heres my advice.

Olimar can easily be overcome for many reasons.

1. As Earthbound said his recovery is very easily gimped.

2.If he keeps punishing you after you use pk fire, that means he knows when you will try to use it so try to be less predictable.

3.Olimar's aerial game is good but you beat him in teh air by a landslide. so try to get him into the air.

4. To stop his pikmin spam do a s-hop fair it extends far away from your body so the pikmin don't get you. It will most likely kill the pikmin, and has almost no lag whatsoever.

Thats all I I know about beating Olimars.

And BTW Welcome to Smash Boards.:chuckle::chuckle:

GoldC

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Yes, I'm probably predictable fighting against.

I personally don't like to edgehog, it feels cheap. But he does it too so I guess I'll have to get used to it.

I didn't know that S-hop Fair and Usmash are useful for killing the Pikmins so that'll probably help me out a lot.

And I know that Ness' airgame is really good, so I often S-hop PKFire->Dthrow him and do S-hop Fair or I Uthrow him-> PKThunder juggle. I think I'll try to jump up and attack him with Fair or Bair instead 'cause he often Airdodges my PKT. :\

EDIT: I'll probably check out some Ness videos too so I can see if there's more useful tricks.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Listen, your attacking the pikmin all wrong. As an oli-ness player, this is what i learned works best against pikmin: AAA. Just approach walking with aaa everytime he tries to play pikmin. AFter that its juts short hopped aerials or a dash atack since your Dash attack has mad range.

ChileNess

Smash Apprentice
i live where a Wii is and a tourney in the moment.
hey also might help you edgehog .... is funny.....you have to...... hey also you have to be the spammer guy in that battle....i dont think that pikmins will overcome our "demon kid"ha...but the idea of nair and fairs to get trough is a good idea. you guys have good ideas....

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
i would mix it up. i try shorthopping fairs and nairs then the olimar sits back and up smashes. i try to get him in the air but dont try to get on top of him in the airs ince his uair is pretty nasty. be careful of his pikmin since they cancel pk thunder so shake them off before you pk thunder and spam pk fire and use the pikmin as a fire shield while u decide what your next move is.

N355

Smash Apprentice
Gah. A friend of mine mains olimar as well. Pain in the rear. . .

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
One of Oli's best strategies is camping and shield grabbing everything. You have to try and pressure him with PKfire to try to work your way past it.

Top Bottom