• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Coin battle as a competitive format

pockyD

Smash Legend
10/17/08 edit - LOL at people trying to dig into this after randomly bumping it 3 months after the fact. Remember that this was posted prior to all the summer tournaments, and that I also stopped checking it after 2 days from the initial post because of (justified) lack of legitimate interest. Don't bump old posts, tear up outdated theories, and then think you're awesome for doing so -_-

Hi all, I'm here to pitch coin battle as a viable format, especially for tournaments in a time crunch, since this "feature" of the game gets almost no discussion or consideration. I don't think this is that long, but if it drains your attention span, i apologize :)

First off, for anyone who doesn't know, coin battle is a timed format in which coins spawn every time a character is hit. The object of the game is to collect these coins and have the most at the end of the game. Contrary to popular (in my experience) belief, coins do NOT just spawn randomly; they only come when characters are hit, and their spawn amount is generally proportionate to the amount of damage done. When a character is KO'd, they lose some amount of coins (I don't actually know how many), so staying alive is still important

The first major benefit of coin battle is that it follows a timed format. Therefore, the length of matches is predictable and controlled, which can make life SIGNIFICANTLY easier for a tournament organizer trying to squeeze a full tournament into a small window. No longer does the T.O. have to rely on people reporting their matches in a timely fashion; once you put, say, 6 matches on TVs, all 6 will finish at almost the exact same time, so it is trivial to set your watch for 5 mins from now (or whatever), then simply go around and make sure matches are finishing up. Now, a lot of peoples' first reaction will be something along the lines of "Why not have a regular timed battle if you want to run on a timer?" After all, this keeps the traditional mechanic of trying to rack up kills...

Well, the second benefit of coin battle is that it can legitimately determine a winner almost all of the time. Anyone who played in the gamestop tournaments plainly saw how frequently the traditional timed match, even when set to 5 minutes, leads to a sudden death, which quite frankly is a complete crapshoot. How often, when both players can have hundreds of coins, will they have the exact same amount? Not often. In addition, especially in a shortened time window, coin battle gives a much more accurate picture of who is "winning". Similar to the existing tie rule in stock matches (where if a lead in percents is held, that player is the winner, despite the game wanting sudden death), the number of coins a player has at any given moment is a good indicator of how they are performing. In fact, I'd argue that it's MORE accurate than percents, but that's certainly debatable.

Thirdly, coin battle discourages excessive camping, especially with projectiles. You can laser your opponent all day, but if you don't move up and collect the coins he drops, it is all for naught; in fact, you may be helping him by providing him with free coins to pick up while you hide in your corner. This certainly doesn't make the game any more "fair" but it force a player playing to win to tailor his or her style into a much more aggressive mindset.

Fourthly, individual events in a coin battle have a small effect on the overall outcome, assuming one player is thought to be a clear favorite to win. In particular, this allows for the use of (a carefully selected set of) items. Items are dismissed for introducing randomness, but the loss of a stock is less significant in a coin battle, with its importance diminishing as the length of the battle is increased. With the ability to make a "comeback" without taking off a full stock, the "too random" aspect of items and the enormity of impact they can have on a game is diminished.

To anyone who actually bothered to read this and didn't stop at "coin", yes - this is at least partially a joke, but in reality it is indeed superior to some of the formats that have been used for non-smashboards-run tournaments thus far (in particular, gamestop round 1) and for people who are running tournaments in a similar situation (Evo apparently), I believe it should be considered (not that it's BETTER than what evo is throwing out there, but it's certainly not any worse).

For the record, I haven't actually ever played in a coin battle tournament (I doubt there's any actual interest), so this is almost purely theoretical, but I find it an interesting point of discussion anyway, so I would love to hear peoples' thoughts on the matter aside from a "too much of a party game" argument.

Edit: this thread (to me anyway) is more about illuminating the shortcomings of traditional stock matches than about actually trying to get coin battle tournaments started; I don't even like coin battle

Conan

Smash Cadet
I came onto this topic about scream "TOKE JOPIC LOLZ" or somthing like that, but I found a well presented argument that actually convinced me that this would be a good idea for tourney play :)

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
When a character is KO'd, they lose some amount of coins (I don't actually know how many), so staying alive is still important.
The player loses exactly half of their coins prior to their death (for odd numbers, round down to the nearest whole number. Ex: 655, died, now has 327) Just something to point out. :)

This is an interesting concept, I'm surprised I havn't put much thought into this. Now, camping will still be in effect, but since coins expire after a while, the effects of camping will be minimized, specifically with item spamming.
I see this getting a lot of doubt in the beginning, but wouldn't be surprised to be taken seriously in the long run. Will return will full thoughts and analysis later. ;)

Luigi player

Smash Master
Yep, like Tyfighter said, you lose half of your coins, and this makes it pretty bad for the player who dies and isn't anything harmless like you said.

It's a nice thought and maybe okay for 1 or 2 fights, but noone just likes coin matches and everyone hates that time is limiting the fight, so I doubt that anyone really wants to do tournaments with it.

Personally I don't mind it that much. It's a bit fun every once in a while (maybe 5 fights a year lol), but some people really hate it and have never played it (well, they probably played it once or else they couldn't say that it sucks or have experience with it).

acv

Smash Journeyman
does grabbing cause coins to pop out.****chaingrabs***COUGH***

Ørion

Smash Ace
PockyD said:
Thirdly, coin battle discourages excessive camping, especially with projectiles. You can laser your opponent all day, but if you don't move up and collect the coins he drops, it is all for naught; in fact, you may be helping him by providing him with free coins to pick up while you hide in your corner. This certainly doesn't make the game any more "fair" but it force a player playing to win to tailor his or her style into a much more aggressive mindset.
Although this would decrease camping significantly, it wouldn't really be fair to characters who depend on the camping aspect to play well. This would almost render all projectiles LESS than useless because the opponent could go pick up the coins.

pockyD

Smash Legend
that's really no different from the stock ruleset being "unfair" to characters who are unable to camp well or be metaknight

Eldiran

Smash Lord
While I'm not overly familiar with coin matches (I avoid them because playing them for too long makes me want to bite my teeth out) I would think that this might could possibly benefit faster characters. Not positive, but it could, since collection is essential to winning. Just a thought.

pockyD

Smash Legend
and yeah, losing half your coins hurts more than i thought :(

but I'd still say it hurts less than losing a stock in a 2stock match or something

While I'm not overly familiar with coin matches (I avoid them because playing them for too long makes me want to bite my teeth out) I would think that this might could possibly benefit faster characters. Not positive, but it could, since collection is essential to winning. Just a thought.
only by a little bit; coins don't spawn randomly, so a 'good' player would be able to predict where they will be when he hits his opponent

and that's just fun a little bit of extra depth anyway: keep chasing your opponent, or collect the coins he dropped? :)

Adapt

Smash Lord
I think you can lose a maximum of 100 coins per death

Because whenever I played the coin matches (to get the challenges) I ended up losing a number divisible by 100

Cookiez

Smash Ace
In Melee i've certainly lost way more than 100 coins a death. Not entirely sure about Brawl but i'm sure it's the same. I wonder if this would encourage people dying when they have certain ammounts of coins to minimise their losses further down the line?

AlexX

Smash Ace
I think you can lose a maximum of 100 coins per death

Because whenever I played the coin matches (to get the challenges) I ended up losing a number divisible by 100
Nope, you lose half your coins regardless of the amount.

I've once done a 10-minute coin match, and by the end people were losing over 300-500 coins per death due to the amount of coins that had hit the field.

M.K

Level 55
Can't you just punch your friend, grab three coins, and run away for the rest of the match?
Excuse me, I haven't read through the topic, so if this has been stated, I am sorry.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Can't you just punch your friend, grab three coins, and run away for the rest of the match?
Excuse me, I haven't read through the topic, so if this has been stated, I am sorry.
Not in stages where there isn't a circle (though ones that do have one are banned in normal competitions, anyways for pretty much the same reason).

pockyD

Smash Legend
not any easier than jabbing your friend for 3%, then running away in a stock match

in fact it's harder because you have to pick up the coins after hitting for 3%, so a longrange laser probably won't do the trick

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
You know, I actually like the idea.

Maybe someone should hold a Coin Match Online tourney, as a bit of a test run.

And I'll even join said tourney.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
I think interesting formats are great for tournaments

I have not yet been to any but I would hope that tournaments with extra tv's would run a side tournament with interesting rules like 3min pokeballs and pokemon only or hotheads and curry no reflectors or shenessigans

but before they got too ridiculous I think 4player coins and Items would be a fun way to pass the time after being eliminated at a tournament

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
I see one huge problem with coin battles. The fact that 1 KO can be way more important then another. And certainly that a KO made later on in the match is always better. So it would be best not to KO your opponent before he KO's you, unless you are certain you can KO him again in the time remaining, without being KO'd after that.

To make this a bit easier to understand. Let's say there is 45 seconds remaining in a match. This is pretty long. If you kill your opponent, changes are big you will get an KO afterwards. Now if you have been in front the entire match and have about 300 coins and your opponent only 250. It might be a bad idea to kill him. He will be down to 125, but if he kills you he will get about 30-40 coins and will put you back at about 150.

I also think this means that the coins are not "MORE accurate" like you say, as they can change 50% just 10 secs before the end of a match. While percentages can vary quickly, but mostly not this much.

Also, a player making 1 KO can defeat a player making 3 KO's, which I don't like.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I see one huge problem with coin battles. The fact that 1 KO can be way more important then another. And certainly that a KO made later on in the match is always better. So it would be best not to KO your opponent before he KO's you, unless you are certain you can KO him again in the time remaining, without being KO'd after that.

To make this a bit easier to understand. Let's say there is 45 seconds remaining in a match. This is pretty long. If you kill your opponent, changes are big you will get an KO afterwards. Now if you have been in front the entire match and have about 300 coins and your opponent only 250. It might be a bad idea to kill him. He will be down to 125, but if he kills you he will get about 30-40 coins and will put you back at about 150.

I also think this means that the coins are not "MORE accurate" like you say, as they can change 50% just 10 secs before the end of a match. While percentages can vary quickly, but mostly not this much.

Also, a player making 1 KO can defeat a player making 3 KO's, which I don't like.
QFT

Exactly what I was going to say. Other than that I really don't have any problems.

EDIT: Also when you die, many of your coins fall on the stage, exacerbating the problem stated above.

Steck

Smash Journeyman
This is a good interesting idea. I'd play in a coin tournament if it was online.

If it adds anything- I think C. Falcon would be a very good character to use in these types of fights. Hes got a decent amount of power and speed. And the FALCON PAWWWNCH! That's it my coin character main is C. Falcon.

EDIT: About the halfing every KO- its not like any other format can really compare to the good old 3 stock no items, but Coins battles would require a players devloping strategies based on when to KO (late in the match) and how to not get KO'd- And suiciding early in the match even if your %s start to build up so you have a better chance of not loosing your coins later.
But if we really wanted this to be kind of competitive then we could not have items. Items kill an could make a person loose half their coins late in the match.

bobson

Smash Lord

Excuse me for being the ignorant scrub I am, but... so? Is this necessarily a bad thing? It would bring an interesting change in the overall strategy and balance--instead of being the first one to KO, you would want to be the last one.

Edit: Count me in if there's an online coin tourney.

Corigames

Smash Hero
no
Absoluely Not
Don't Even Try
Quit Now
**** Sucks
Stop Talking
Go Away

Just... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

L__

Smash Master
Huh, everyone's entitled to their own opinion I suppose...

I wouldn't mind seeing this at a tourney...some variation for once.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hi all, I'm here to pitch coin battle as a viable format, especially for tournaments in a time crunch, since this "feature" of the game gets almost no discussion or consideration. I don't think this is that long, but if it drains your attention span, i apologize :)
How would this solve the "time crunch" problem? In non-timed matches, matches can be done quickly sometimes. In timed matches without stock (be it with or without coins), you always have to suffer through the entire duration of the timer, even if you're 1000 coins ahead.

The only way for this to be a solution to the "time crunch" problem would be if we set the timer on a low number, like, say, 3-4 minutes.

Contrary to popular (in my experience) belief, coins do NOT just spawn randomly; they only come when characters are hit, and their spawn amount is generally proportionate to the amount of damage done.
Popular belief by whom, idiots?

When a character is KO'd, they lose some amount of coins (I don't actually know how many), so staying alive is still important
You're suggesting this as a viable Competitive format and you don't even know this fundamental fact?! It's half of the coins you're currrently holding, BTW.

The first major benefit of coin battle is that it follows a timed format. Therefore, the length of matches is predictable and controlled, which can make life SIGNIFICANTLY easier for a tournament organizer trying to squeeze a full tournament into a small window.
Contrary to popular belief, matches usually don't run out of their 8 allotted minutes. Most matches end around the 3-5 minute mark. The only way for this to significantly reduce the time needed for a tournament would be if we set the timer to 3-4 minutes.

No longer does the T.O. have to rely on people reporting their matches in a timely fashion; once you put, say, 6 matches on TVs, all 6 will finish at almost the exact same time, so it is trivial to set your watch for 5 mins from now (or whatever), then simply go around and make sure matches are finishing up.
So it's a great solution because some people are just lazy? Most non-idiots have no problems reporting their matches the second they end, you know. Basic motor and lingual skills are enough for you to traverse across the room and tell a TO the outcome.

Well, the second benefit of coin battle is that it can legitimately determine a winner almost all of the time. Anyone who played in the gamestop tournaments plainly saw how frequently the traditional timed match, even when set to 5 minutes, leads to a sudden death, which quite frankly is a complete crapshoot.
How about we not assume the Gamestop tournaments were using "proper" rules. How about we educate ourselves on the rules of Competitive Smash?

If there's a tie in stocks and percentage, within a 1% difference (like, say, 92% vs. 93%)(this is an optional provision, however), then either Sudden Death will be played or a new match on the same stage with one stock will be played. If the difference in damage is 2% or greater, then the person with the least damage won.

We have proper and working ways to regulate what happens in case of a tie already.

How often, when both players can have hundreds of coins, will they have the exact same amount? Not often.
How often will they have the same percentage (within a 1% margin)? Not often.

In addition, especially in a shortened time window, coin battle gives a much more accurate picture of who is "winning".
Why is it so much more accurate?

Similar to the existing tie rule in stock matches (where if a lead in percents is held, that player is the winner, despite the game wanting sudden death), the number of coins a player has at any given moment is a good indicator of how they are performing.
So you knew about this rule already. Funny how you acted like you didn't.

In fact, I'd argue that it's MORE accurate than percents, but that's certainly debatable.
How is it more accurate? Unless the people involved are blind and cannot tell when someone's got a huge lead in percentage.

Thirdly, coin battle discourages excessive camping, especially with projectiles.You can laser your opponent all day, but if you don't move up and collect the coins he drops, it is all for naught; in fact, you may be helping him by providing him with free coins to pick up while you hide in your corner.
How about we stop making up BS? Why wouldn't I camp if I'm ahead by 100 coins? I'll just camp you to try to run the timer out. Or I'll just camp you to look for openings.

Also, not all solutions to the camping problem are acceptable. Items screws up camping with individual character moves, too. But we're not using them.

This certainly doesn't make the game any more "fair" but it force a player playing to win to tailor his or her style into a much more aggressive mindset.
But is it better?

Fourthly, individual events in a coin battle have a small effect on the overall outcome, assuming one player is thought to be a clear favorite to win.
What friggin' individual events are you talking about? Dying? There went half your coins. SD:ing? There went half your coins. Getting comboed and/or stringed and/or edgeguarded? There went a lot of coins into your opponent's pocket/half your coins.

In particular, this allows for the use of (a carefully selected set of) items.
This is rich.

Items are dismissed for introducing randomness, but the loss of a stock is less significant in a coin battle, with its importance diminishing as the length of the battle is increased.
Losing half your coins =/= Less significant than losing one stock.

With the ability to make a "comeback" without taking off a full stock, the "too random" aspect of items and the enormity of impact they can have on a game is diminished.
Have you even tried playing Coin with items on?

To anyone who actually bothered to read this and didn't stop at "coin", yes - this is at least partially a joke, but in reality it is indeed superior to some of the formats that have been used for non-smashboards-run tournaments thus far (in particular, gamestop round 1) and for people who are running tournaments in a similar situation (Evo apparently), I believe it should be considered (not that it's BETTER than what evo is throwing out there, but it's certainly not any worse).
Nobody (credible) likes what Gamestop and Evo did/are doing. None of us who do what they did/are doing.

Just because Gamestop and EVo used/are using horrendously stupid rulesets does not mean you need to try try to make up yet another stupid ruleset.

For the record, I haven't actually ever played in a coin battle tournament (I doubt there's any actual interest), so this is almost purely theoretical, but I find it an interesting point of discussion anyway, so I would love to hear peoples' thoughts on the matter aside from a "too much of a party game" argument.
How about you try actually playing Coin battles at all, then? You didn't even know how many coins you lose when you die.

Edit: this thread (to me anyway) is more about illuminating the shortcomings of traditional stock matches than about actually trying to get coin battle tournaments started; I don't even like coin battle haha
Even if we're to read your post as just that, you still failed horrendously.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
From what I read, you are mainly stressing (as it is one of your points that you make) that it prevents camping, however from what I know, camping is not an issue anymore, to some extent anyway. Granted, I have not gone to a tourny and only know based on posts in forums, but still.

Another fact that you were stressing was how predictable a match of coin is, and how it is timed, ect. However, in Melee (again never been to a Brawl Tourny) the matches were 4 stock with a time limit, and if both players had equal lives, the winner would be determined by who had the least amount of damage, which I assume is still holding in Brawl.

Good job making your points well noticed, but I do not see it happening.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Coin battle tourney... yet another tourney type that would need a test run (obviously) and then subsequent test runs (duh) to see how good it can be. Personally, I think it would be a great idea. (of course, I'm an 08er, so who cares). Yeah, there are some issues with a coin battle, but it's different, and there's nothing wrong with different.

Someone also mentioned a stamina mode tournament... now THAT would be awesome... expect for IC, who can 300-death you without shame...

And seriously, what's wrong with Evo's ruleset? What, is it the items? Or am I missing something else... honestly, they don't seem that bad to me... but once again, I'm an 08er, what do I know?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And seriously, what's wrong with Evo's ruleset? What, is it the items? Or am I missing something else... honestly, they don't seem that bad to me... but once again, I'm an 08er, what do I know?
Golden Hammers, Bumpers, Smash Balls, "if a TO deems you've stalled or camped excessively, the match is forfeited"...

The H Kid

Original
Someone also mentioned a stamina mode tournament... now THAT would be awesome... expect for IC, who can 300-death you without shame...

I'm actually planning a stamina tournament without any character bans.
Just imagine the sound of constant laser spam and nonstop tornadoes.... ahhhh music to my ears.

Top Bottom