• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More ^B Information ^-^

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Since for some reason I’m doing terrible at Brawl today I decide to take a little break and tinker with some Sheik related properties, mainly the ^B

Results so far

On battlefield I tested to see where Sheik could use her ^B and land without lag and I found you can pretty much go anywhere on battlefield and ^B yourself to safely. While testing I found two note worthy things

1. How to use the ^B as an approach
2. Sliding ^B physics and uses

1. How to use the ^B as an approach

This wasn’t very hard to realize as this was in Melee but now because of the different ^B properties and the general slower speed of the game this is now a viable approach for Sheik on battlefield.

If your opponent is standing around the middle of the stage and is on the ground level while you are on one of the side platforms a run off ^B can be used to hit them or weaken your opponent shield ( Do not spam this as you aren’t invisible for the whole duration). For those who don’t know a run off ^B will cause Sheik to be shot out while doing her ^B in a horizontally trajectory away from the ledge or platform.

Why this can be used now in Brawl.

Unlike in Melee no matter how far you fell Sheik lag for using her ^B was the same but in Brawl this is not the case and because she has up to 5 possible spots to reappear without any ^B lag upon landing this tricks is now usable (that and vanish can actually kill so it isn’t a waste of time). If you don’t get hit out of the ^B animation you will have a good 80% chance of getting away (unless your opponent continues to hide in their shield in fear then it’s 100% ^_^), maybe 60% if a character like Marth perfectly place himself below one of the platforms and ground reappearance spots but even so the odds are in your favor.

Spots Sheik can reappear with no ^B lag after doing the ^B approach.
1. Go up and land on top platform with no lag –mostly a bad idea unless your opponent is trying to punish you for going in the other 4 lags less directions
2. Pull back the way you came and land on the ground with no lag
3. Pull back the way you came and up to land on the platform you started on
4. Hold forward and land on the opposite side of the course on the ground
5. Hold forward and up to land on the opposite side of the course platform.

Note: Theses lagless landing zone do not alway apply to the sliding ^B

2. Sliding ^B physics

To be frank I don’t know right now if this is a blessing or a curse as it does have its uses but it’s also fairly difficult to pull off constantly (at least at first now I can’t stop using it) and hard to control, it can also help mess up the normal running off the platforms or ledges into a ^B.

What the sliding ^B is more or less the same thing as the normal run off platform approach method listed above but instead of running all the way off the platform you let Sheik go into a little slide before using the ^B which will make you slide off. The result is a shorter horizontal distance covered, however if you don’t let Sheik go into any seeable (more about this later) slide you can go a distance almost as far as the normal run off ^B.

This slide I’m speaking of is very small and it seems every pixel of distance covered by Sheik drastically cuts down how far she will go.

There is only one real way to tell if you did the sliding ^B or run off and that is by the sound it makes.

Sheik normal ^B makes a sizzling sound before the explosion but the sliding ^B does not.

Uses
Well this is still fairly new to me and I’ve yet to master it so I’ve only found a few uses
1. The shorten distance covered allow you to hit opponent who are standing right below the platform on your side, which wouldn’t be possible if you used the normal run off method.
2. Quicker edgehog, not really as much as a discovery but a simple restating, I wasn’t the first one to discover this you know.
3. If you slide off the top platform and ^B downward toward the ledge you are able sweet spot it if you slide the correct distance. This is sexy as hell but make sure if you hear the sizzling sound you quick pull back toward the stage as you will over shoot and kill yourself.

Fun facts
Sheik can hit every character equal or taller then Mario with her ^B if they are standing right under the platform
Wolf can get hit but with his almost constant hunch backness it’s very unlikely to score a hit.
"Diddy Kong is shorter than mario, but instead of hunching like wolf does, diddy actually bounces around a little bit.. so if you catch him in one of the bounces he is tall enough" ~ sFoster
Mario is taller then Toon link, who knew?
The sliding ^B or run off can hit any character.

Tomorrow I’m going to play around on the other levels and see if this can be applied to them.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Fun facts
Sheik can hit every character equal or taller then Mario with her ^B if they are standing right under the platform
Wolf can get hit but with his almost constant hunch backness it’s very unlikely to score a hit.
Mario is taller then Toon link, who knew?
These are actually pretty funny, and I could have told you mario was taller than TL.

Mostly because I have tested all of this height stuff for Zelda haha.
You might get a kick out of this..

Using Zelda's ^Air, it's actually possible to hit people that are standing on the ground.
This is only possible for characters equal to or taller than MARIO lol.

And it's possible to do this on wolf, but only if he isn't crouching haha.
To me, it's funny to see this same exact "You must be taller than Mario" cutoff show up again.

One fun fact you missed -
Diddy Kong is shorter than mario, but instead of hunching like wolf does, diddy actually bounces around a little bit.. so if you catch him in one of the bounces he is tall enough haha.
Probably even less likely than hitting wolf.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Are you kidding the sliding up B is so **** easy lol. You just have to run and hold Up B and then bounce back to the edge. The harder one is sliding right onto the edge without any distance.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Video plz. Those would really help to see the difference in the sliding momentum. Great info
If I could I would in a heart beat put up a video showing this and ways to apply them on multiple levels but unfortunately, no capture card, no video cam, Final Destination…

A good way to see how useful the sliding ^B is to go to practice mode, choose Battlefield, set the speed to 1/4, and begin a dash about ...half way on the platform. Once you get near the ledge hit ^B you should see Sheik slowly slide off the ledge and immediately start the ^B but you will have next to none horizontal movement.

These are actually pretty funny, and I could have told you mario was taller than TL.

Mostly because I have tested all of this height stuff for Zelda haha.
You might get a kick out of this..

Using Zelda's ^Air, it's actually possible to hit people that are standing on the ground.
This is only possible for characters equal to or taller than MARIO lol.

And it's possible to do this on wolf, but only if he isn't crouching haha.
To me, it's funny to see this same exact "You must be taller than Mario" cutoff show up again.

One fun fact you missed -
Diddy Kong is shorter than mario, but instead of hunching like wolf does, diddy actually bounces around a little bit.. so if you catch him in one of the bounces he is tall enough haha.
Probably even less likely than hitting wolf.
Really? Hope you don't mind if I add this to the fun facts ^-^

The vanish is still too obvious of an attack for me. It may be nice for mix up, but it's really too easy to see it coming.
Well in a game like Brawl where shield grabbing is the best response to almost every scenario I can see people immediately putting up their shields if they see a Sheik approach toward them on top of a platform or they will position themselves for the next attack.

I.E run away

Some people will of course try to hit you before you reach them because their tilts (if they hit you with a smash attack then you are being far too predictable) have a long reach or have high priority but not all characters can do this.

Example Kirby

Are you kidding the sliding up B is so **** easy lol. You just have to run and hold Up B and then bounce back to the edge. The harder one is sliding right onto the edge without any distance.
Yeah it is, once you get use to it and by the way what you described is the run of ^B not sliding.

Top Bottom