• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's spins all look the same...

Tenki

Smash Hero
...unless you've played as/against Sonic alot.

So what happens when your opponent doesn't get fooled by your dash attacks and down-b's, can tell the difference between your down b/side b charge, n-air and Homing attack?

I was thinking of posting this in Tactical or General, but maybe this is a better place, since I'm more likely to find people who have the eye for it here.

Is it really worth doing dash attack/roll mixups? Do those mindgames really work to create openings for other spin/roll attacks?

Does it really change anything, since you're changing them up for timing and usage sake?

Something that came to mind while I had some Sonic dittos in the past week and fought a bunch of people who have had experience either playing as Sonic or playing against me.

Discuss.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i'm not sure it matters... my friends have definately played me enuff to know what i'm doing all the time... very occaisinally i can catch them in a dsmash that they roll into because they think im spin dashing... but it's only because i never really use dsmash. and they arent paying attention.

dash attacks are very effective when thrown in at the right time, because of their speed, and they knock the opponent slightly in the air, which makes it easy for sonic to follow up with a stutter step fsmash(or just plain fmash)

as for mixing up the dashes, i find that useful because it changes the timing, and it works like this:

most of the time when sonic uses down-B, it executes and smacks into the enemy beofre they can react

when sonic uses side-b: it has invulnerability frames to block out an immidiate counter,

TRUE FOR BOTH: and then it can be cancelled immidiately into arials and then up-B, dair(with no post-delay being used after up-b) so it really never leaves sonic vulnerable to be struck by anything because after you hit them with the intial spin, they are being hit over and over until you are out of their range again.

dsmash is good to throw in for kills when they think they are clever rolling or dodging around you. and it works well charging somtimes because its really easy to confuse people.

lately im finding that... pretty much ALL of sonic's moves have their own situational usage, and they should all be used a lot.

Tenki

Smash Hero
i'm not sure it matters... my friends have definately played me enuff to know what i'm doing all the time... very occaisinally i can catch them in a dsmash that they roll into because they think im spin dashing... but it's only because i never really use dsmash. and they arent paying attention.

lately im finding that... pretty much ALL of sonic's moves have their own situational usage, and they should all be used a lot.
It looks like losing the 'graphic confusion' advantage that you get on your first fights with people who've never fought Sonic doesn't really change too much. Guess the timing aspect of the mindgame (instant: dash atk//almost instant: down b//delayed: side b//feint/kill: dsmash) is what might get to people.

Top Bottom