• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oil Panic! (A Bucket List and Strategy Guide)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator

Smash Bros. DOJO said:
This special move will absorb three projectiles, then make a wide oil attack that splashes about. The attack strength equals that of the three projectiles combined, multiplied by 2.8.

This move will absorb projectile attacks with strengths up to 20%, but the attack itself will still be strong even if you absorb just normal projectiles.

Hey everyone. Mr. Esc here with a new chart showing the amazing things you can stick in a bucket!

Oil Panic, when given the chance to utilize it, is arguably the strongest move in the game. Some bucket loads can deal impressive damage, and kill at the incredibly low percents. The strongest category of bucket loads deals up to 60% damage and can kill an opponent at 0% even if they DI! Very powerful. The bucket grants invincibility frames on capturing, and can capture consecutive projectiles in a row. It has long range, fairly short lag time, and any stock in your bucket stays even if you die.

This is a work in progress showing what exactly you can absorb and what that stock does to the opponent. Everything that is listed is using three of whatever projectile that I mention.

But first, here's our old chart for reference. This was released a while back, and one can tell it's outdated by calling Bowser and Charizard by their pre-release names. Anyways, props go to Sodacova for this.

Here it is for reference:

18% damage, won't KO until well over 100%
Lizardon - fire breath
Ice Climber - breath
Koopa - fire breath

25% damage, KOs around 65% with no DI
Lucas - PK Fire
Fox - blasterFalco - blaster
Samus - uncharged shots
Peach - counter (pan foods)
DDD - beam attack from waddle

33% damage
Ness - PK Fire
Yoshi - Down B Stars
ZSS - uncharged neutral b

42% damage, KOs around 20% with no DI
Robot - optic blast
Mario - fireballs
Pit - arrows
Dedede - Up B stars

44% damage
Lucario - uncharged energy ball

50% damage, KOs at 0% with no DI
Lucario - forward b (max range of move)
Pikachu - neutral B lightning (after the projectile hits the ground)
Wolf - blaster
Luigi - fireball
Kirby - final cutter
ZSS - charged neutral B

60% damage, KOs at 0% even with DI
Pikachu - down B lightning (can max in one go if you catch under pikachu on a platform)
Pikachu - neutral b (ball form)
Zelda - Din's Fire
Lucas - PK Freeze
Lucas - PK Thunder
Ness - PK Flash
Ness - PK Thunder
Lucario - fully charged energy balls
Lucario - forward b (closest range possible)
Samus - fully charged shots
ZSS - downsmash (any charge)
There you have it.
I've done some testing in my spare time and am trying my hand at an updated chart.
I haven't done serious testing at kill percents with DI (they left it out) so I'm banking off of what Sodacova put together for killing areas without DI but I may very well add that. I'm keeping it in the format that Omega put my old chart in, so that it will fit better with the guide (if he chooses to add it).

Key:
Red Characters - 18% Damage, Lowest Killing Power
Orange Characters - 25% Damage, Low Killing Power
Yellow Characters - 33% Damage, Fair Killing Power
Green Characters - 42% Damage, Moderate Killing Power
Blue Characters - 50% Damage, High Killing Power
Purple Characters - 60% Damage, Highest Killing Power

Explanations are at the bottom.

18% Damage, Lowest Killing Power
:bowserbrawl: - Bowser - Fire Breath (Multi-Hit *1)
:ptbrawl: - Charizard - Flamethrower (Multi-Hit *1)
:icsbrawl: - Ice Climber - Blizzard (Multi-Hit *1)
:nessbrawl: - Ness - Pk Fire Pillar (Multi-Hit *1)
:nessbrawl: - Ness - Pk Thunder Tail (Multi-Hit *1)
:lucasbrawl: - Lucas - Pk Thunder Tail (Multi-Hit *1)
:foxbrawl: - Fox - DThrow
:foxbrawl: - Fox - BThrow
:falcobrawl: - Falco - Dthrow
:falcobrawl: - Falco - Bthrow
:foxbrawl: - Fox - Blaster *2 (Long range)

25% Damage, Low Killing Power

:foxbrawl: - Fox - Blaster *2 (Short range)
:falcobrawl: - Falco - Blaster
:lucasbrawl: - Lucas - Pk Fire
:samusbrawl: - Samus - Charge Shot Uncharged
:peachbrawl: - Peach - Toad's Spores (Multi-Hit *1)
:dededebrawl: - Dedede - Waddle Doo Beam (Multi-Hit *1)

33% Damage, Fair Killing Power
:nessbrawl: - Ness - Pk Fire
:yoshibrawl: - Yoshi - Pound Stars
:zssbrawl: - ZSS - Paralyzer Uncharged
:kirbybrawl: - Kirby - Frying pan *3

42% Damage, Moderate Killing Power

:mariobrawl: - Mario - Fireballs
:pitbrawl: - Pit - Palutena's Arrow
:dededebrawl: - Dedede - Stars
:robbrawl: - R.O.B. - Optic Blast
:lucasbrawl: - Lucas - Pk Fire Explosion
:lucariobrawl: - Lucario - Aura Sphere Uncharged *4
:kirbybrawl: - Kirby - Final Cutter *5 (Short range)

50% Damage, High Killing Power

:kirbybrawl: - Kirby - Final Cutter *5 (Long range)
:luigibrawl: - Luigi - Fireballs
:zssbrawl: - ZSS - Paralyzer Charged
:wolfbrawl: - Wolf - Blaster
:pikachubrawl: - Pikachu - Thunder Jolt *6 (Both forms)

60% Damage, Highest Killing Power

:pikachubrawl: - Pikachu - Thunderbolt
:zeldabrawl: - Zelda - Din's Fire
:robbrawl: - R.O.B. - Optic Blast Charged
:pitbrawl: - Pit - Palutena's Arrow Charged
:samusbrawl: - Samus - Charge Shot Charged
:lucariobrawl: - Lucario - Aura Sphere Charged *5
:lucariobrawl: - Lucario - Force Palm *5
:nessbrawl: - Ness - Pk Flash
:nessbrawl: - Ness - Pk Thunder Head
:lucasbrawl: - Lucas - Pk Freeze
:lucasbrawl: - Lucas - Pk Thunder Head
:zssbrawl: - ZSS - Dsmash

1. : Multi-Hit is when you can catch at least 2 units per second
2. : Fox's Blaster gun deteriorates as it travels. It gives a more powerful bucket load when closer, and gives the weakest bucket load away.
3. : Kirby, while having G&W's power, uses the Frying pan. Surprisingly, it has different properties than Game and Watch's normal pan, and it can be bucketed.
4. : Lucario's Aura Sphere and Force Palm actually do two percent more than listed. With Lucario's "Aura" ability, his attacks can actually be stronger than listed.
5. : Kirby's Final Cutter gives a stronger bucket load the farther it has traveled, opposed to deteriorating moves like Fox's blaster.
6. : Pikachu's Thunder Jolt comes in two forms; the one that travels as a ball through the air, and the one that jumps across the ground or a platform. The Ball form is as strong as Pikachu's Thunder.

Now that you've seen the chart, we may as well talk strategy. While the bucket is rather powerful, opponents are usually on the look out against this move. It forces a lot of characters to play more cautiously with their projectiles. It'll be a rare day that Lucario will fully charge three aura spheres in a row and launch them to be absorbed by your bucket. That's why there are some ways to bait them into using a projectile, though a decent deal is character specific.

· Reeling In With Chef_
A general strategy on getting the Bucket filled against laser toting "spacies" and pits is to start up the move Chef a good deal away from them. Properly spaced, this gives them an opportunity to use their projectile without getting punished. Or at least, that's what they think. If you expect them to use their projectile, AKA take the bait, you immediately drop out of chef into your bucket. There is some lag time out of Chef, but it's not that large, and you're bucket can easily make it out in time with decent prediction. You don't exactly need prediction against Fox, though, as he likes to string off multiple shots, making the bucket come out rather quickly after taking a hit. Besides Fox, Falco, and Pit you can possibly trick Lucario, Pikachu, R.O.B. , Zelda, and most others who have long to mid ranged projectiles. Chef should stop R.O.B.'s Gyro and force him into a laser. Zelda likes to move point blank with Din's Fire, but you can still cancel Chef into Oil Panic you're used to the timing.

· Placement_
Depending on stage position, you can bait them into using their projectile. For example, if you're high above a grounded Pikachu, they may go for a Thunder. The signs are fairly obvious, and bucketing it should be simple enough, but be careful that you don't mistime it. Thunder will kill. If you're off stage recovering, expect Lucario's to use their Aura Sphere on you. Zelda's may go for a Din's Fire, if you're in your parachute. If in a position to do so, drop out of it and bucket. Spacing by itself works wonders. Just being far enough can get you another bucket stock.

· Teaming Up_
A lot of people already know this and take advantage of this, but for those of you who don't know, it involves G&W being on a team. Considering that you have Friendly Fire/Team Attack ON, you can take advantage of you're teammate to fill the bucket. Any quick projectile works wonders; ZSS' DSmash, Luigi's Fireball, Pikachu's Thunderjolt in balled form. Some other things worth noting is that breath attacks work wonders. They may not be the most damaging attack, or have the best knockback, but it's surprisingly easy and quick to get Oil Panic to have three stocks. Most Multi Hit attacks can work, but breath attacks can trap your opponents as you simultaneously fill up.

· Picking to Win_
Taking advantage of choosing a stage can give you a way to fill your bucket, even if your opponent has nothing to be absorbed. Corneria has three things that you can take advantage of; The Great Fox, the Arwings, and the Wolfens. The Great Fox's laser turns out to be the weakest, but occasionally shoots multiple lasers. The Arwings/Wolfens are much more convenient, though. This stage is looking to be banned, and may not be the best choice for G&W because you're recovery will see little use save for attacking, and you'll die at low percents. It's a novelty way to get the bucket filled, but there's little things more satisfying than releasing Oil Panic on a Toon Link or Metaknight.

· Mother Gimping_
A particularly nasty way to fill the bucket is to chase a Ness or Lucas player off the stage and take advantage of their recovery. When they use PKT, pull out the bucket and watch them plummet helplessly down.

One other thing you may do vs Ness is purposefully get hit by his PKFire and DI out quickly. Quickly bucket all the parts of the pillar, and you'll be invincible throughout the whole thing, and he wont be able to do any of his combo's out of the PKFire. Plus, it's a free full bucket, so what's not to like?

Getting Oil Panic stocked and ready for use may be challenging, or it may be easy, but too consistently hit them with this powerful attack can be a challenge. There are a few really good ways to set them up into getting hit by the bucket, but you don't necessarily want to only use one of these methods, as you'll become predictable fast. Thats why I'm going to try listing as many of the known ways to combo off Oil Panic. If you know a way, let me know and I'll add it!

Greenhouse -> Oil Panic
This method is a pretty common one for a lot of G&W users. The goal here is to get them caught in your Jab Combo, and when you notice them to start DIing back out of it, to cancel into a bucket. The reason this works often is because they're usually just trying to back out, and not shielding.

Dthrow -> Tech Chase - > Oil Panic
The most reliable way to hit with Oil Panic, in my opinion, because it's going off of your prediction skills vs. theres. Other factors like DIing or powershielding don't have much influence on this strategy. All you have to do is get them into a Dthrow and predict whether they'll roll, get up, or use their get up attack. You can condition them into acting a certain way, and use this to get a more reliable hit. The worst thing that can happen is that you do it a little bit late and hit their shield, which makes it just about to break; assuming it wasnt powershielded.

Chef -> Oil Panic
A neat little trick in getting the oil out on an unsuspecting foe. The idea of this is the flip out a piece of food stuff or two, and proceed to run at the enemy. If the food hits them, it puts them in hitstun, allowing you to get the bucket off on them. I normally do this, except with the Fair instead of Oil Panic, but it's certainly viable.

Key Spike -> Oil Panic

I hadn't thought of the possibility of this, but it sounds like it would work. What you want to do is catch them with your key at point blank range, and it should carry them to the ground. As they're still in shock because of the impact, hit them with the bucket.

Grab -> Release -> Oil Panic
As far as I know, this only works on the Pk Users; Ness and Lucas. When the two get out of a grab, they suffer from a long Break Out Animation. Because of this laggy animation, you can quickly Down B and get them with a batch of oil. Be careful though, because if you hit down too early, you'll dthrow, and too late and you'll miss.

Laggy Move -> Oil Panic

This is pretty self explanatory. If your opponent has a tendency to use a move that puts them in a laggy cool down time, or a free fall animation, take advantage of this and let it spill. An example of this may be Lucario using counter, and you using Oil Panic as it ends, or Lucas falling after PKT2. It's common sense to capitalize on their mistakes.

Taunt -> Oil Panic
This **** wins tourneys.

Yeah! It's time to touch on the subject of techniques possible to perform with the bucket. I'll mention obvious things like Bucket Stalling and some less obvious things like B Move Momentum Shifts. I'm hoping to get a lot more into this section, and I feel as if I missed some things. Please help me get this section bulky with good information!

Bucket Stalling:

This is similar to what some of you know as Shine Stalling. For those who don't recognize this, Shine Stalling is when Fox uses his reflector repeatedly off the stage to give himself a much slower descent. Fox lowers slightly between reflectors, but he stays in a similar position for the most part, where it can help his recovery, or do as it's name implies, and stall.

Now, in G&W's case, the bucket also stops any aerial momentum, but it doesn't have the quickness that Fox's Shine Stalling is known for; the bucket takes a bit of time to put away. Never-the-less, this is a great tool that can fit into a couple different scenarios and can be a valuable tool for those who can utilize it.

This doesn't do much in the case of stalling, but the bucket helps his already beastly recovery. Not so much as when you're already below the stage edge, but it's an interesting way to recovery from high places. Similar to how the Dair gets you down quickly, this tactic gets you down at a slower rate.

A second way this can be used is for... ahem... MINDGAMEZ. Ack. This works more closely to Wolf's Reflector, I believe, than to Fox's or Falco's. Wolf has invincibility frames in his, and these frames are used to break the stride of an opponents attacks. While the bucket doesnt have these invincibility frames, it can also be used for messing an opponent up. Messing up an opponents spacing game is a pretty cool feat, but the recovery aspect of Bucket Stalling is probably what you'll be wanting to do more.

Bucket Canceling:
No, as far as I know there isnt any universal technique on how to cut the lag time of the bucket to just the invincibility frames. To my knowledge there are only two situations where canceling the lag of absorbing a projectile is possible.

The first is Spring Canceling. As you already know, G&W's bucket cancels out his momentum, like many other moves in the game, and this can be abused on a spring. The spring cancels your move immediately and sends you straight up. The bucket will stop this rising motion, and you can use the bucket repeatedly on the spring. The spring will also cancel the lag of absorbing a projectile, as I've found out. The problem is, the only stages that come to mind with Springs are Pictochat, which is usually legal, and Flatzone 2, which is banned. You can also use Sonic's Spring in a 2v2 environment, but this form of canceling is very situational.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pNMqz06_zmY
Starting at 3:17 of this video, G&W showcases his Spring Canceled bucket and key.

The second will probably see more use, as I have even done this at one point (successfully even!). In a recent topic someone claimed to have found a way to cancel the ending lag of the bucket, but couldn't recreate this. Spurred on by the hope of making fights with people like Pikachu easier, I did some testing. I couldn't find any way to cancel the lag on the ground, in the air, on the edge, etc. What I did find out was that there was actually a way to cancel the bucket, but this method required something that my previous tests lacked; Water. When your character hits the water, any action taking place is ended and they begin swimming. This is known almost universally, but people hadn't though of using Oil Panic in this scenario.

This will certainly see more use than the rare occurrence of spring canceling, because of two stages. The Pirate Ship, and the stage that most people know and love, Delphino Plaza. The Pirate Ship may end up banned, but you'll likely find yourself using this mostly on Delphino. Almost all the transitions have either one of two things; Water or a wall. This stage just got a lot more in G&W's favor.

Sadly, these are the only two ways I know of to cancel the bucket. One thing that I find myself doing is absorbing off the edge, though. Most characters don't chance chasing you off the edge, and Game and Watch has a beastly recovery, so there's not much harm in doing this. It's probably the smartest choice. If you absorb on one side of Final Destination, the other character can usually make it from the other side to you while you're busy absorbing their projectile. Mostly Pika though.

Boost Ledge jumping:
Now this is where things get awesome.

This was brought to my attention when browsing through SamuraiPanda's **ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED** Links to In-Depth Game Analysis Threads!. Tyr_03 had made yet another interesting thread, to say the least.

B Move Edge Momentum Shifts
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158881

As I'm lazy, I'll just quote the parts I think are relevant...

As you may or may not know, different special moves in Brawl have strange effects on momentum when used while running off the edge of a stage or platform. Most notable of these are Mario's cape and Lucas's PK Thunder. Here are videos showing both. These techniques are done by running toward the edge of any stage or platform and just as you are approaching the edge, but before you step off, using the B move.

After further testing I have also discovered that any sliding or boost B move can be reversed to switch your momentum in the opposite direction. To do this, as you approach the very edge of a platform or stage, press the B move you want and then very quickly slam the analog stick back. The timing differs between B moves and some of them are extremely fast. This works with most B moves from the edge of platforms or stages. It does NOT work with PK Thunder and a few others for some reason. This uses the same general principle of B reversals used in the air to change momentum but is different in that it is done from the very edge of a stage or platform rather than in the air. This means that moves that have different effects when used on the ground rather than in the air will have the ground effect while being used in the air such as the Ice Climbers' down B. In addition, boosted B moves still have the same distance boost from the edge but reversed in the opposite direction.

Stop = The B move initially stops all momentum when used on the ground.
Edge Stop = The B move allows the character to slide but forces the character to stop when it reaches the edge of a stage or platform
Slide = The B move will allow the character to slide off of the edge of a platform or stage keeping the intial horizontal momentum from running.
Boost =The B move when used off the edge of a platform or stage increases horizontal momentum sending the character further than he normally would go.
Cancel = The B move cancels entirely, showing the very beginning of the move but then not executing it.

Mr. Game and Watch
Standard - Slide
Forward - Boost
Down - Boost
Up - Stop
I did some testing, and the boost you could get was quite big. You don't need to B-Stick this once you get the timing down, and this has having some good use. For example, with this, you can gimp a far away Lucas or Ness player in a short amount of time. It is also a generally good way to get to the boundaries quick, but this only to a lesser extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16e40V2L6hU
Both momentum shifts shown in video by Kupo15

This video shows G&W performing his various specials in the beginning of the film, and is an excellent reference to what this technique is. The last Bucket Boost pulled shows how beastly this can be when timed right.

Oil Slicking/Spilling/Gelling:

NEW DISCOVERY!

Alrighty, so I was seeing if GaW had anymore defenses against Snakes projectile medley, and I found nothing. Well that is besides that Judgment 9 completely disintegrates a Nikita, but it blows up right in your face, as most of you know.

BUT! I did find something pretty bizarre. So here it is.
Okay, if Snake plants a land mine, we all know that Chef, can cook-it, correct? Only problem is, is that the foods come out at random, which leaves you open while your trying to toss accurately.

Yet there is an alternative, and Mr. Esc is going to enjoy this, ^_^b.
So, I go up to a land mine, and just randomly pull out my empty bucket, and to my surprise the mine automatically detonates!? Its as if the bucket sends out a shock wave of some sort, or spills an invisible oil slick over the space (lol, like the classic Flat Zone?). The distance it works is just about the size of the gas splash from Oil panic, which is like a G&W and a half. Try it out, it could be a good mindgame to roast cobra's, and it saves your flat a** from being blown sky high, without even having to be in bair distance. This can work out of a short-hop as well.

Name, maybe???
+Oil Slick or "Slick": Ex- "I Slicked the mine then followed through with a bair..."
+Oil Spill or "Spill": Ex-"I Spilled the mine then blah, blah, blah..."
+Oil Gelling or "Gell": Ex- "I quickly Gelled the claymore, catching the hand grenade in the explosion and, blah, blah, etc."

Hope this isn't already known, :/...
CREDIT TO NEB

COMING SOON...

COMING SOON...

A better heading, with picture
Units Mixing Formula
Filling up the Bucket
Oil Panic "Combo's"
Techniques

The Effect of Stale Moves?
Small pictures for the combo's
Miscellaneous Section
Media Section

Credit goes to...
· Sodacova for laying the ground work and giving me a good reference
· Nato. for the revisions and suggestions he made.
· Neb for being a god and making this guide look so magnificent. He Discovered Oil Slicking, and made several key suggestions. Amazing amazing amazing.
· Anyone and Everyone who made a comment, pointed out an error, or contributed a combo to the guide.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
some miscellaneous things you can also bucket

Items
Fire flower
Curry
Lip's Stick
Super Scope uncharged

Ray Gun
Star Rod
Super Scope Charged

Pokemon Attacks
Staryu's Swift

Assist Trophy Attacks
Saki Amamiya's lasers
Custom Robo's shots

Stage Hazards
Great Fox
Arwing/Wolfin

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm curious. As a new GW player, I;m wondering if the strength of the bucket changes if you have a charged shot and two fox blasters? Does it always take the power of the strongest projectile (in this case, would it have purple strength due to charged shot being one of the absorbed projectiles)?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
As I know it, theres some sort of formula for the strength of the bucket. It doesn't just go off of the strongest projectile captured. The first hit of Bowser's Fire Breath is one percent higher than the consecutive hits, but whether you capture the first one or not doesnt affect the damage that a bucket full of bowser fire deals off. The different parts (i.e. 18%, 33%, 60%...) are the end result of the content formula. Thats why everything fits so neatly, not having things doing 53 % or so. Thats also why charged shots are normally only one section off, because they don't fall in some limbo between the sections. They all fit.

Well, Lucario's are a bit off when capturing his things at 0%, but his "Aura" is a pretty unique factor.

So with a charged shot and two fox blasters, it may go up a section from the blasters depending on how far apart they are. Two things from the weak section and one from the strong are probably going to see the middle.

That's how I see it, and what I've observed. I think It goes like that.
I cant sem to recall if someone ever posted the formula or not.
Hrm.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
i have a question, say kirby uses lucarios energy weapon or wolfs, is it the same as the bucket ammount for those characters?

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious. As a new GW player, I;m wondering if the strength of the bucket changes if you have a charged shot and two fox blasters? Does it always take the power of the strongest projectile (in this case, would it have purple strength due to charged shot being one of the absorbed projectiles)?

I believe the chart only takes into effect a bucket of three of the same type. I could be wrong since I don't have a moment to test it on the game, but if you want info about combinations just divide each damage total by a third and mix and match. For example:

Game & Watch buckets two PK Fires and one PK Flash. Three PK Fires is 33%, so two should probably be 22%. Three PK flashes is 60%, so one should only be 20%. So add two PK Fires (22%) to the one PK Flash (20%) and you should get around a 42% output.

Of course, all of this I typed could be total bullplop. I haven't done the footwork to support this as fact yet, if anyone feels like confirming or rejecting it be my guest. XP

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
i have a question, say kirby uses lucarios energy weapon or wolfs, is it the same as the bucket ammount for those characters?
I hadn't tested. It's possible considering that Kirby has different properties on his B specials after taking powers. Pikmin he throw dont latch on, his Frying pan is absorb-able and doesnt spike, and I wouldnt be surprised if his attacks became weaker in some cases. At this moment, I'm making the assumption that his attacks deal the same, so I don't need to list them.

I havent done testing on his powers, though. If you want me to do a quick check, I can.

Actually, even if his attacks are weakened, they're probably rounded up in the bucket anyways. So I think it's the same.

@Mokai
That does seem to fit in how the bucket works. I don't exactly have the most knowledge on the bucket, though I did just get the damage roundings compiled :p
But yeah, it sounds pretty logical.

I'm sure some people know how it exactly works, and I think I might of saw something about it in a post before, but I cant find it. Maybe it's somewhere in Omega's guide.

Nato.

Smash Cadet
//
Edited chart / Removed in this post since the main chart is edited
//
Chart Edited (Some infos directly on the chart) (Don't need credits...)
Yes, I know Numbered Asterisk are low quality...
I'm not sure about Ness's PK Thunder's Multi-Hit and Lucas' PK Fire Explosion's Multi-Hit, so I didn't write them.
Does Lucario's Half Charged Aura Sphere is 50% Damage ?
Does Stale moves affect damage ? (Opponnent's Stale moves or Oil Panic's Stale move)

Things we can add :
-(Verified) Units Mixing Formula
-(Verified) Kirby Copy's Damage
-"Catchability" ratings (Peach's Toad Spores (*) vs Ness's PK Flash (*****))
-List of "Combos" to Oil Panic

I know it look weird but Quotes are Auto-Italic.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I must've messed up Zelda's placement when I was editing it. I have her down on the notepad for reference as 60%. In fact, Pikachu's thunderbolt and R.O.B.s laser should be in the highest place too. My bad.

I must say, your edit, Nato. , is rather nice. I'll be updating it as you have it.
About the multi hit, Ness' Pk Thunder can score a multihit if you capture it on his body. It may be able to do it in some other situations because of the tail on it, but that i'm unsure of.
Lucario's aura sphere does 44 minimum if you fling off the spheres without charging. It changes decently when charged a little bit. It seems to be one of the moves that can get unique powers on the bucket. Depending on how its done, you can get 47's, 55's, etc. At three half filled balls, it's at 60%, and caps at that.

DI? Directional influence?
Stale moves affecting it? I'll have to check. So far, I've done everything in training mode where stale moves don't have an effect on anything.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
Also theres a theory out there that Oil Panic is stronger on the ground then the air might I add

Combos: Jab Infinate until they DI dirrectally in front of you in then release or down throw and tech chase to a oil panic.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Dthrow seems to result for me for comboing, but actually the opponent has to cooperate...

Also, I don't know if Squirtle's uncharged water gun can be caught (it has very different properties than the charged one, which cannot be catched, as F.L.U.D.D, I am speculating). Too bad I borrowed the game for a time, so I cannot test.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
A couple of things:

-Edited Ness and Lucas' placement. I was filling up the bucket as fast as I could, which is to go to the body of ness/lucas and use bucket as they did Pk Thunder. What I forgot was that the head and tail of the attack does different damage. The heads of Pk Thunder are now , and the tails of Pk Thunder red.

-A quick test seems to show that using oil panic in the air does not change the damage output in any way. Where did this theory come from?

-I'll be adding general strategies on how to fill the bucket and how to use it (The combo part of it). Maybe later this weekend.

-Squirtles water gun does not fill the bucket at all when uncharged. :(

so yeah, maybe some updates coming soon!

Gishnak

Smash Ace
This is a well-structured and very informative post. Thank you, Mr. Escalator.

Perhaps add a short section of how to land oil panic?

I don't get to use the bucket too often, so it's hard to say what works competitively, but the only thing that has worked consistently for me is d-throw->guess correctly->Oil panic.
I read somewhere that if G&W grabs ness/lucas, and lets them break out (as in, the chain grab), the oil panic is sure thing. Haven't tested this yet.

EDIT: It looks like you were already planning to do this.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
pretty good work here, after a few more updates (the things you have listed for future updates) i'll probably toss it in the guide.

Lotsa_Spaghetti

Smash Apprentice
If you ever catch your opponet charging a smash attack, that's the perfect time to use the bucket. Just be sure to stand out of range of their smash attack is all, and you should be able to hit them.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
get them in a jab and then bucket them :) works GREAT! works good for edge guarding too sometimes.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I don't remember everything I did, but I tried absorbing directly behind him, and then in front of him at the end of its range, and I recall it doing the same amount of damage. It'll do more if he has damage, but I don't think Force Palm is range dependent.

I would check, but my wii isn't around :c

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It's fine. I mess up a lot on things I don't write down, and I hadn't written that down.

I'll be getting the last pictures for the guide to you.
just Dash attack, throws (if they're noticeable enough) and FS?

When I get that done, I'll potentially update this.
I've been really busy with uploading tournament videos for an online tourney.

sorry that it's taken so long.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Updated, but still needs some work!

-Much Better Heading
-Character Icons
-Filling the Bucket

I still need the realeasing the bucket part, so I would love suggestions.
also, if I didnt cover something correctly in the filling part, lemme know.

Mokai

Smash Apprentice
My my. I must say, the original post looks much nicer than the first time I visited. Very nice work, Mr. Escalator. :)

Neb

Smash Lord
For the suggestion part, some people gave some of their own set-ups, just in case you missed their post.

As follows...
Continuous jab>Oil Panic
Grab Release>Oil Panic

I like doing this.
Key spike to ground> hit stun> oil.
or
Chef stun>Oil

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
you can bucket Charizard's fair, methinks and I THINK some of the hits from Ness's dash attack. OR maybe I'm thinking of Ness's PSI magnet absorb....

[edit] okay, nevermind. You can't. MY mistake

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
escalator, its possible to hit lucas out of a release grab with the oil panic. are there any other characters that would get hit as well out of the release grab?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
From what was going around about infinites on Ness, I know he can be hit with Oil Panic by a release grab, but it's not exactly that easy. According to the mindgame thread of AllisBrawl's G&W section...

Grab to Oil spill - This is a nasty concoction I've devised. Grab the opponent and beat them until they escape - then whip out your bucket. With proper timing, this one is devastating.
The proper timing bit is more like precise timing. If you're going for this, you'll have to be careful not to waste it. If you hit BDown too fast, you'll Dthrow, and too late you wasted you're bucket.

I'm done some cleaning up of the guide (mostly Bulleting), and I'm planning on getting the combo part up soon.

Release grabs certainly sound like something I should test out.
So Lucas and Ness are certainly effected,
and I'll look for others when I get the chance.
I guess anyone who pulls out within range would be effected.

daytimeninja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gavgrego
I find that using greenhouse to bucket works well on larger characters. Just spam greenhouse to where they are locked infront of you, then you should have an opportunity to use it as long as your opponent doesn't DI the other direction.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
ALRIGHT
Got the combo's up.
Tell me what you think.

I may of got the jab -> Oil Panic wrong, but I'm not sure. I've never actually used that one.

And expect small pictures for each combo.
Not the size of the ones in OBM's guide, more like the size of the wario guide's.

If you have another combo that you want added, let me know.

AND

tell me if theres anything else you'd like to see fitted into the guide
or if theres some way I could make it more aesthetically pleasing.

Thank you!

Ulevo

Smash Master
This is an awesome thread for any G&W user. It's also given me some insight on what to avoid, since I don't relatively play a G&W user often.

Top Bottom