• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technique: Airwalk

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
If I've missed this being posted before under some other name, forgive me. I'm not saying every instance is the most useful but I just felt like putting this out there (not to mention learning how to use Windows Movie Maker finally).

Something I'm sure some Wario players have noticed is what happens if you try to hug too quickly: Wario runs off the ledge and slides right back on. A weird but easily recreatable phenomenon, but an aspect I discovered recently was that you could do aerials during this brief airtime and still return to the map. I went through and discovered this worked with more characters than just Wario, although he is the only one I found to be able to do it without using an aerial. Deadly came up with the name "airwalking", as before that I had been calling it Wariowalking which is...lame.

Anywho, I made some examples of it and threw them in a vid I was wanting to make. So I'm pleased to present my video, Ledgology 101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4tp6_9QO_w

Here's a rundown of all the airwalks I've found so far and whether the hitboxes come out or not:

Hitboxes come out on:
Wario Fair
Jiggly Fair
Bowser Bair
G&W Dair*
Wario Uair (Thank you Togaboy)
Jiggly reverse Rising Pound**
Kirby Hammer (Thank you blowmofo22 on Youtube)

No hitboxes, but can airwalk:
Wario (no aerial)
Wario Bair
Peach Bair

*This is more of a pseudo-airwalk, as it's more dependent on the stall at the beginning of the move then anything else. I think this would be the most useful implementation of the technique given the double hitbox on the dair and the disjointed priority of the key. Also, as the video shows, a GW can survive a flubbed dair due to his great vertical recovery. ROB has a similar technique with his dair but it's so slow and easy to time I don't consider it an "airwalk".

**Doing a Rising Pound in the first few frames of being airborne gives you enough height to land back on instead of going to edgehog. Could end up being a decently useful edgeguard mixup.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple other airwalks out there that I just didn't get the timing right on in my initial testing and I'm still not sure of the exact cause of this occurrence but it is what it is. If anyone comes across some more let me know and I'll add them to the list/make a new vid if there's enough of them.

Tl;dr version: New(?) mostly useless technique, I guess.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Thats pretty cool and has some good edge guarding potential. Have you tried it with all other characters and listed the ones that can do it or have you not tested all of them?

Zabimaru123

Smash Rookie
what's hugging mean? i'm not an advanced player and i don't know many terms except dair spike, wave dash, kirbycide and spring stalling. could someone help a weak player like me?

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Thats pretty cool and has some good edge guarding potential. Have you tried it with all other characters and listed the ones that can do it or have you not tested all of them?
I tried it with everyone but not to an intense degree so I could have missed something. I feel like certain moves (GW's bair, Jiggs bair, couple others I can't remember) have the potential if you get the timing right, although whether the hitboxes would come out or not is a whole other story.

Oh, I forgot one. If you Rising Pound backwards with Jiggly just after leaving the edge you can land back on instead of in edgehog.

ulzimate

Smash Rookie
Dair to ledgehog, as you performed with Lucario, looks like you just run off the stage and immediately just dair. Is it really airwalking if you don't walk back onto the stage?

St. Viers

Smash Champion
yeah, I nticed this awhile, ago, but couldn't think of a use, looks cool though, and perhaps something akin to a faster run of the ledge, and attack while using the second jump to return... as you don't use the second jump.

I think that for it to be possible character needs a quick "step" to their dash (not "speed")

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Dair to ledgehog, as you performed with Lucario, looks like you just run off the stage and immediately just dair. Is it really airwalking if you don't walk back onto the stage?
Nope, but that's why it's at the end of the vid and not with the other "true" airwalks, as well as not included in the list. Still cool though.

Viers: It's a possibility. It'll be interesting to see if any other moves can be airwalked and if any of them will be particularly effective. Won't be a huge AT or anything but it'll be one more trick for the bag, eh?

Zabimaru123

Smash Rookie
ok i found out about hugging. now I feel stupid
i have been doing this since I got the game i just didn't know what it was called
thanks anyway

Zabimaru123

Smash Rookie
how do i put a picture into my signature?
kind of off topic but I really want a better siggy

ytv

Smash Apprentice
Hmm very interesting..I've noticed this before with Mr. G&W never thought it was going to be useful though.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
That's actually a pretty interesting concept. I assume it can only be done with characters that have great horizontal movement in the air like Wario and Jigglypuff, or characters with odd hitboxed moves that shift movement like Bowser. A unique little quirk, I'm not sure how applicable it is since edgeguarding is kind of nil in this game due to the sticky instant cling edges.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Shouldn't this be called "Skywalking" instead of "Airwalking"

What kind of nerds are you guys, anyway.
I thought our idol was supposed to be Luke, not Jordan? :)

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
Wario's Uair can 'airwalk' with a hitbox. Just need to be quick.

I feel like this tech has is a misnomer with 'airwalk' but we'll get to that later. I'm pretty sure you can do any of Wario's aerials and cancel them with the airwalk save for his Dair because of the forced fast-fall **** they added in brawl. Unfortunate.

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
Pasqual, I disagree. Wario is the underground hightier character at the moment, inasmuch as tiers exist in brawl. His lack of popularity/exposure is serving wario players very, very well, to some extent.

Bud

Smash Journeyman
I am a G&W main and I must say after 3 minutes of knowing the technique i have gotten a kill with it. It is awesome when you baraly have time to make it to the edge and is going to be awesome for ending combos that i take people to the edge with, airwalk will be the end of the combo, also push down after you do G&W's key to not fall so fast. (for when you miss you wont suicide.)

Doval

Smash Lord
Other than Lucario's d-air to edgehog, this is mostly useless since no one is ever that close to the edge without already having snapped to it. Cool, though.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Wario's Uair can 'airwalk' with a hitbox. Just need to be quick.

I feel like this tech has is a misnomer with 'airwalk' but we'll get to that later. I'm pretty sure you can do any of Wario's aerials and cancel them with the airwalk save for his Dair because of the forced fast-fall **** they added in brawl. Unfortunate.
Ah, took a more precise timing, but yes, you're right. Sadly, this means I'll be retesting a lot of different moves as my timing could very well a bit sloppy since I missed that one first time around.

I'd assume his Nair would work too if you could get the input, but I'm really not going to bother with it as that would be more effort than it's worth, especially if it comes out without the hitbox.

Would having a hitbox out there (like a G&W dair) interfere with the process of snapping to the ledge?

TEST IT!
From my initial tests, it doesn't stop the snap. This could be wrong though, as I'm trying to test it solo and can't get the timing exactly how I want it. Will try more when I have a chance.

I am a G&W main and I must say after 3 minutes of knowing the technique i have gotten a kill with it. It is awesome when you baraly have time to make it to the edge and is going to be awesome for ending combos that i take people to the edge with, airwalk will be the end of the combo, also push down after you do G&W's key to not fall so fast. (for when you miss you wont suicide.)
I didn't know about the fastfall cancel (d'oh) so thanks! And I'm glad you're getting some use of it.

Other than Lucario's d-air to edgehog, this is mostly useless since no one is ever that close to the edge without already having snapped to it. Cool, though.
Limited uses, yeah. Characters whose upBs don't grab on the way up will be more susceptible than others, certain sideB recoveries, etc.

Edited first post to reflect Togaboy's discovery and the Rising Pound thing. Will be spading a bit more tonight as I'm selling my Wii tomorrow probably and won't have one for a month or so.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

Nixis

Smash Cadet
pretty cool, but needs to be executed really fast. probably like less 10 frames in the attack. thats gonna be tough to time.

can you edge hog like tht too? i mean, if u wait a little until after you fall, then use a bair or something, you should be able to edgehog... but hugging would easier...

EDIT: now that i think about it, the attack could both knock the opponent off the edge and allow you to grab it.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
sounds like it could be more useful than you make it out to be
It could be and I hope it is, but I don't want to be one of those people who thinks they just reinvented wavedashing, j'dig?

pretty cool, but needs to be executed really fast. probably like less 10 frames in the attack. thats gonna be tough to time.

can you edge hog like tht too? i mean, if u wait a little until after you fall, then use a bair or something, you should be able to edgehog... but hugging would easier...

EDIT: now that i think about it, the attack could both knock the opponent off the edge and allow you to grab it.
Problem being when the aerial ends though. You force it to end by landing back on the map, which doesn't apply when you go for the edgehog. It'd have to be a very short aerial, like ICs bair, and/or something that jostles your character when they make contact like Toon Link's dair.

Testing to continute, particularly on Jiggly and GW because of their aerial control.

House M.D.

Smash Apprentice
this could be useful if you catch someone hanging on the edge carelessly. G&W key is most useful but usually you should be edgeguarding more aggressively with him. overall, pretty limited in application.

despite that, nice find; your research and advertising has been useful to smashboards.

also, call it something else like edge-canceled aerials.

err

Smash Journeyman
wario can also stay locked on the slope of Distant Planet when it's flooded.
it looks like you're completely vulnerable, but when your opponent approaches, you can jump into an aerial or bite

mindgames!!

Coselm

Smash Ace
I have done this with Toon Link's spin attack. If you know about the trick where you run off the stage, and us spin attack without jumping and you do spin attack while falling off the stage and you rise and cancel it into an edge grab, it is basically doing that but you DI back onto the stage immediately after having the spin attack go off the stage. The timing is near-impossible and I have only done this accidentally a few times. This technique is seemingly entirely useless. All you do is do the first few frames of spin attack and cancel it into a landing animation (AKA you do not cancel much lag, if any, from what I've seen). Who knows though? Could end up having some use.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
pretty cool find man. i dont know how many uses it has tho... warios air is soo weird

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I have done this with Toon Link's spin attack. If you know about the trick where you run off the stage, and us spin attack without jumping and you do spin attack while falling off the stage and you rise and cancel it into an edge grab, it is basically doing that but you DI back onto the stage immediately after having the spin attack go off the stage. The timing is near-impossible and I have only done this accidentally a few times. This technique is seemingly entirely useless. All you do is do the first few frames of spin attack and cancel it into a landing animation (AKA you do not cancel much lag, if any, from what I've seen). Who knows though? Could end up having some use.
Can't get this one to work, any chance you or someone else could try to get it to work on film? I'm just not fast enough, even on accident :ohwell:

Coselm

Smash Ace
Can't get this one to work, any chance you or someone else could try to get it to work on film? I'm just not fast enough, even on accident :ohwell:
I'll try. I would have to save it on my SD card and transfer it over. Does that even work?

Like would I have to have some program to convert it or would the file be ready to be uploaded to youtube?

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
I'll try. I would have to save it on my SD card and transfer it over. Does that even work?

Like would I have to have some program to convert it or would the file be ready to be uploaded to youtube?
Currently, no. The Brawl proprietary filetype for video saves hasn't been cracked yet. But if you get it and save it to the SD card, PM me and I'll give you mine or a friend's Brawl FC and you can send the vid and I'll up it.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double-post-bump. Added Kirby's Hammerwalk to the hitbox list after a youtube user pointed it out to me. Much looser timing on that move then some others because of the drastic inertia reversal, which I didn't take in to effect the first time around.

Also, alas, I no longer have a Wii as of today so I won't be able to spade this much for a while. I did get some last few cool things recorded last night but they weren't airwalk stuff, just other random ledge tricksies. For the time being, I'm turning over the research to...well...anyone who has enough interest to spend a little time in Training for me.

Top Bottom