• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

toasty and Wiggles present: Bel Gusto's Presents: SoVa's (other) First Brawl Tourney!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I'll have all of the results up ASAP. The only ones I know for sure are:

1st: Caboose (ALL WARIO BABY!)----GC/DC BABY! GOOD ****! Caboose is a Korean Teddy Bear/Rapist.

2nd: MaSHi (Marth/Fox/Pikachu)----this man threw up right before the tourney...and still got 2nd. This is is the epitome of "No Johns".

3rd: Schoolie Dee(R.O.****ing.B.)----is Squirtle Squad still alive in Brawl?

4th: whodat (Pikmin&Olimar) - I'm really really sorry that things worked out the way they did with the time constraints :( Thanks for not being an ******* about it, I really do appreciate that. Next time it'll be an all day tourney so there won't be any worries about things like that. You, sir, are a rapist, btw.

5th KP - Snake/Metaknight
5th toasty - R.O.B./G&W
7th Dobee - Metaknight/DDD
7th Gayff (SpeedYoshi) - Wolf
9th Camp! - ?
9th DragonCharlz - ?
9th Shab - ALL SONIC! good ****
9th TheHangedMan - DDD?
13th Evan - ?
13th Glyph - ****ing Pit.
13th Riku - Ike/Marth
13th Serpent - ?
Juan - should have been in brackets somewhere, sorry for the error :(

Pool 1
Mashi 6-1 (Losing to KP)
KP 6-1 (Losing to Shab)
Shab 5-2 (Losing to Speed, Mashi)
SpeedYoshi 4-3 (Losing to Slash, KP, Mashi)
Oro? 3-4 (Beating Slash, Travis, Zion)
Slash 3-4 (Beating Speed, Travis, Zion)
Travis 1-6 (Beating Zion)
Zion 0-7

Pool 2
Schoolie 6-0
Boose 5-1 (Losing to Schoolie)
Camp! 4-2 (Losing to Schoolie, Boose)
TheHangedMan 3-3 (Beating, Koori, Sonic, Arab)
Koori 2-4 (Beating Sonic, Arab)
Sonic 1-5 (Beating Arab)
Arab 0-6
Indy DQd for squandering time. LOL.

Pool 3
Whodat 6-0
Dobee 4-2 (Losing to Unreal, Whodat)
Glyph 4-2 (Losing to Dobee, Whodat)
toasty 3-3 (Beating Unreal, Shun, Uki)
Unreal 3-3 (Beating Dobee, Shun, Uki)
Uki 1-5 (Beating Shun)
Shun 0-6

Pool 4 - CORRECTED 4/29 <-----Billy, this wasn't your fault. Sorry Juan :(
DragonCharlz 6 - 0
Serpent 5 - 1 (Losing to DragonCharlz)
Juan 3 - 3 (Beating Riku, Grim, Matt)
Riku 3 - 3 (Beating Evan, Grim, Matt)
Grim 2 - 4 (Beating Evan, Matt)
Evan 2 - 4 (Beating Juan, Matt)
Matt 0 - 6

*If there are any corrections to pools, feel free to correct. I'm just displaying what my captains told me.

SHOUTOUTS!:

To everyone in my pool:
Sorry for the squandering. The first few matches were great, but hunger got to me and I was all full of fail and Johns :urg: I still have no idea how I actually made it out.

Whodat: our first set was monstrous. Most notably the second match. I'll make sure there aren't any suicides next time :) Good **** on ****** pools, though. I had no idea what do against you. It really sucked when I was advancing in losers...........and then I see I had to play you...pools were bad enough ;____;

Glyph. God****it. Good **** man, you've improved.

Dobee: close matches >_>

Uki: WTF WHO USES LUCAS?! (besides me) I had no idea what to do in that one match :( You earned it (and even happier it wasn't the set haha). Glad you enjoyed your first real tourney.

Unreal: GREEN ****ING GREENS! So enjoyable ^_^

Shun: Glad you were able to make it and I'm even happier you brought friends, hope to see you at more events

Will post more later.

dobee

Smash Apprentice
Lol Toasty. Game & Watch Squander ftl. You didn't even realize it until you were floating for like 3 seconds. Oh **** last stock! Lol good matches though.

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
FIRSTSIES! (pun f***ing intended son) and lawl at rapist teddy bear :p

i believe 5th was KP. i think schoolie knocked him out to go to loser's finals

and good s*** to a WHOLE lot of people. SO many people coming back in loser's brackets and stuff

i think MVP goes to billy (grim) for doing so much for the tourny besides squandering in pools ( D: )

mashi: too good. sorry bout you being sick, im sure you'll **** the next one

whodat: wario eats pikmin for breakfast son!

KP: DAMMIT I NEED TO PLAY YOU. i couldnt find you after the tourny ended. i fought no MK's that day so i wanted practice on the matchup

schoolie: still too freaking good. nice pool set, too bad you got knocked into loser's =\

glyph: your pit's getting dangerously good. f*** palutena's b****

juan/speed: i need to play you guys too dammit. esp juan i didnt play any pokemon trainers that day

kadaj/famous: didnt play you guys much (famous not at all) so come early next time! you guys would've ***** in tourny

O-NO: get better so i can play you next time and not a 15 minute jigglypuff or something

GC/DC: BEST CREW OF ALL TIME!

EDIT: yea **** you dobee >=O

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Whodat placed 4th, KP and Toasty tied for 5th place.

Good tourney man :)

edit:

Yes, of course squirtle squad's alive in braw... \/

whodat

Smash Apprentice
I will have to give my shout outs later because I'm really tired right now but congrats to caboose for taking the tourney.

Next time I will have to make sure that my gf has everything she needs before going to the tourney. It sucks that I pretty much forfeited my match to Schoolie because of time restraints. No offense schoolie, but I would really like to play you when my head is into it.

drag00nspyd0r

Smash Rookie
Yo Toast can you edit this to the top? Heh, I like how this is my 7th post.
1st Boose
2nd Mashi
3rd Geyff (Schoolie)
4th Whodat
5th KP
5th Toasty
7th Dobee
7th Gayff (SpeedYoshi)
9th Camp!
9th DragonCharlz
9th Shab
9th TheHangedMan
13th Evan
13th Glyph
13th Riku
13th Serpent

Pool 1
Mashi 6-1 (Losing to KP)
KP 5-1 (Losing to Shab)
Shab 5-2 (Losing to Speed, Mashi)
SpeedYoshi 4-3 (Losing to Slash, KP, Mashi)
Oro? 3-3 (Beating Slash, Travis, Zion)
Slash 3-4 (Beating Speed, Travis, Zion)
Travis 1-6 (Beating Zion)
Zion 0-7
*No results given for Oro? vs. KP. This match should have been played as it could have changed 1 + 3 slot.

Pool 2
Schoolie 6-0
Boose 5-1 (Losing to Schoolie)
Camp! 4-2 (Losing to Schoolie, Boose)
TheHangedMan 3-3 (Beating, Koori, Sonic, Arab)
Koori 2-4 (Beating Sonic, Arab)
Sonic 1-5 (Beating Arab)
Arab 0-6
Indy DQd for squandering time. LOL.

Pool 3
Whodat 6-0
Dobee 4-2 (Losing to Unreal, Whodat)
Glyph 4-2 (Losing to Dobee, Whodat)
Toasty 3-3 (Beating Unreal, Shun, Uki)
Unreal 3-3 (Beating Dobee, Shun, Uki)
Uki 1-5 (Beating Shun)
Shun 0-6

Pool 4
DragonCharlz 6-0
Riku 4-2 (Losing to Juan, DragonCharlz)
Evan 3-3 (Beating Serpent, Juan, Matt)
Serpent 3-3 (Beating Juan, Grim, Matt)
Glayf (Juan) 3-3 (Beating Riku, Grim, Matt)
Grim 2-4 (Beating Evan, Matt)
Matt 0-6

*If there are any corrections to pools, feel free to correct. I'm just displaying what my captains told me.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
I gotta give my shoutouts now since this was a crazy tourney:

Whodat: OMG, your Olimar is crazy... just happy we had a good match, final stock and high percentage on both games of our match. Wish I could have pulled it to a game 3 to have mixed everything up.

Dobee: Wish I could have been more of a challenge, was rusty after not having practiced all week. Probably would have given you a better match if I have played you later in pools.

Glyph: Your Pit was too good. Stopped my Lucas, Marth, and Ike all three. Got lucky with Lucas to go up 1-0 during your match, but it was just that.... lucky.

Toasty: WTF YOU DIDN'T GIVE ME THE DITTO... I swore you would have tried the Lucas ditto game 3, being that I pulled Lucas back out after losing with Marth game 2. I knew I should have kept Lucas from the start... but your R.O.B. was fantastic man....

Unreal: Wish I had given you a better match... I squandered too much, did stupid things against your R.O.B. mainly because I felt that I didn't have a shot to get out of pools at that point. Maybe next time I will give you the match of your life.

Shun: Green Greens for the WIN... I was shocked when you counterpicked the Greens... but even more shocked that the bomb blocks got over half the kills in the match. I died twice to the blocks, you squandered one stock with an Illusion off the edge, and then lost the match to blowing up a bomb block of your own. Was a blast playing you though... I think you got some potential... you just gotta learn the matchups.

Caboose: Way to represent ODU... the stuff you did in the Winners Final and Grand Finals was insane. Wish I would have had a chance to play you when you were in top tourney form, but it was still a blast to watch your matches.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Not a bad turn out.

I'll try to come next time.
yayuhhzzz

The owner seemed to like it and he trusts how we run things, so when everyone's out of school (because it will have to be on like...a tuesday or something), there can be all-day tournaments. That way we can have MELEE and Brawl singles or throw in doubles somewhere in there for either one, but I don't wanna mess with time constraints. I'm also going to discuss the food deals, because apparently there was a miscommunication that I just ran with about getting deals on lunch at Gusto's :( My bad to everyone who thought there would be deals. Hope that those who DID eat enjoyed the food
[everyone, get their chimichanga, ****ing amazing].

but yeah, for the all-day tournament, venue fee will be upped but there is discussion about either a buffet or actual deals if he has time to figure out what kind of deals he wants to do. I'll have to negotiate.

ALSO: huge sorries to anyone who had a situation like Schoolie/MaSHi with stages. I thought to add a certain stage rule but forgot to put it in print. If two people agree on a banned stage, then it's okay...sorry guys, I didn't realize that both of you were okay with it, nor did I think to ask

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Booseboose.

Good **** man.

Epic success.

You're going to be on the GC/DC B Team too, right?

;]

toasty

Smash Hero
I'm going to do something I normally wouldn't, but I made extreme efforts to make sure EVERYONE was up to date on rules as I made them and even printed out Rules for every single of the 10+ stations so that there would be NO confusion.

KnightPraetor. You can NOT...ABSOLUTELY NOT...coach people during a match, MUCHLESS THE LOSERS FINALS.

Someone reliable informed me of this as I failed to notice this at the time and I'm sorry if your whispers of encouragement were mistaken for coaching but since that likely wasn't the case, you can NOT give any information or guidance to a player while the match is being played.

I'm not trying to be a a**hole about this. But principles are principles. If a rule is there, it's there for a reason, and it shall be enforced like all others. I'm not going to "make an example of you" and ban you from the next one or something, but if you do it again I may have to deal out a similar punishment. We can't have anything like this in a tournament.

On a sidenote: wtf! we didn't get to play at all :(

Koorii

Smash Cadet
Good **** toasty for hosting...

Good **** boose...thinking to go to wendy's before finals definitely gave you the winning edge...GC/DC represent!

Schoolie, good matches with you...really really close...

Billy...squanders...i'm not getting your drinks next time...good **** helping to run this thing...and taking boose to wendy's...

Gum...Ganon dittos FTW! I think i'm getting decent with that Zelda! Doubles will be ours next time...

I don't like being a ball buster, but since slash hasn't posted here yet...He will be enacting the SoVa no ***** rule at the next T-dome...only eight teams for doubles...that is bull****...there were no crews! and apparently there was a lack of venue fee being payed at his place...maybe there was the impression that venue at gusto's covered his place too...IDK, i'm just mad that there were know crews...SO MAN THE F*CK UP! Just cuz we have boose doesn't mean y'all don't stand a chance, it just means we have an edge...lolz..good **** everybody!

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
I think many got that mixed up mainly because we moved the Loser's Final, Winner's Final, and Grand Finals of the main tourney to the T-dome... so people probably assumed that if they were covered for the tourney, they were covered there too. We definitely need to get Slash covered for being so kind to host the Finals at his place...

Edit: I know I still owe the fee... I'll get it to Slash next time I see him (even though I left as soon as Finals finished)

drag00nspyd0r

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Awesome Tourney! I enjoyed finally playing brawl at a competition, even though i did horrible. Everyone I played seemed like a good sport and was really cool to talk to. Sorry if I didn't get to meet you, I was just running around the whole time. Also, sorry for being tired and grumpy all day. I'll make it up to guys next time by winning. Can't wait til the next tourney. I plan on going to Whodat's tourney May 18th and winning teams with boose. LOL. Also, I'm probably gonna be having a hotel smashfest for warm-ups to C3, May 24th(I think). I'm gonna ask Chu, Azen, Chillin, G-reg, and Forte to come but don't quote me on it. If your interested let me know.

toasty

Smash Hero
Billy, you're the ****ing tourney savior. I was already stressed enough running around making sure **** was working and that nothing was going wrong, especially because it wasn't like my house tournament, you know? my first time at an actual venue...so yeah, we may have to partner up in hosting :) Though I'll share more of the burden next time because I feel like there were times where I just abandoned you at the registration table >_>
sorry bout that, it was my tourney, I should've just done all of that until it started

good luck on the 18th. You and Boose definitely gave Slash and me the hardest time in teams...double falcon...****.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
sorry schoolie for "coaching"

though honestly only one thing i said would be considered really coaching; i forget the specifics but i did say at one point, you shoudl have uptilted there.

the rest of the coaching i did was discussion of the matchups between actual matches, which was stated as being allowed in toasty's tourney rules. I also gave counterpick advice to you, telling you that snake ***** fox. But you weren't very amiable to the suggestion of using other characters.

Oh, and during caboose vs mashi i yelled out a lot of stuff about how he should camp him and play safe and stuff like that. But sorry if i gave advice that once.

other advice i will confess to having given was

"you should try to use dair to dsmash more to kill with fox"
questions like
"why don't you use fair any against schoolie" fox vs rob
"why don't you play any ground game" against boose
"why don't you play snake against warior" against boose...but those were all between matches...

the only thing i said during a match that was actual useful non-generic advice was about the uptilt, and i stopped after schoolie glared at me...

and honestly schoolie was already on my case from before the match just because i was giving him counterpick advice before the first match started, so forgive me if i think his opinion is biased.

and quite frankly it pisses me off that schoolie gets so mad about a little advice and never accepts it himself or even discusses anything with others.

toasty

Smash Hero
thanks for clearing it up. Sorry I called you out like that, but I was somewhat mislead with my information. Something of an exaggeration, is more like it. Good **** on the advice between matches, it obviously worked >_>

btw: you should go to the next Newport News tournament

EDIT: like I said, when it's hype and you yell out stuff, that's fine. just don't read out combos or ideas beyond "be safe" or "just camp", general stuff.

There are some rules I seemed to have overlooked, I'll have to get on that for the next one.

I'll also post a poll in the SoVa thread about this but, for the next one, would people want the same thing, like on a saturday and we have to be done by 5 or 6? Or would people be interested in an all day tournament when school is done and it's on a tuesday or wednesday? Whichever one gets more votes, that's what I'm going to run with.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ok, and sorry for making you out to be a bad guy schoolie..i jsut felt at the time that you were overreacting...and honestly i did make that one slip up...
most of my talking though was getting advice from mashi on why he does certain things.

Mashi's marth, snake, and fox are all better than mine..though i'm pretty sure my falco and my mk are better than his (honestly he should have won that falco vs wario matchup if he'd just played a tad bit better)

and so i just wanted to learn a few things...mashi's marth 2 and 3 stocked me in marth dittos...(though i won mk vs marth twice against him pretty easily...that matchup is just easy gimps left and right:)

anyways, the most important thing i wanted to tell him i forgot to say..which was

" you should use charge b to recover with marth instead of over +B"

and that's the most generic advice ever...although he still lost a life because he didn't use it at one point when he needed to and ended up getting ledgehogged

Serpent

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty positive I only lost to DragonCharlz in pool 4. Re-check the board if you still have it, some people I played didn't know which order to put the numbers in, so I wrote "Serp" above the matches I won in my row. Good tourney though, thanks for hosting. I will definitely be at the next assuming that goes through.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Oh it's all good baby! There was just some frustration on my part and I started taking things out of context when I could hear you talking to mashi during the matches.

This was so fun, and haters still emerged :ohwell:

drag00nspyd0r

Smash Rookie
Ya Toast I'm definately down, and no worries i actually had fun.

Koori, i'll get with you and give you details.

Serpent, I see where you had that. Sorry, next tournament I'll make sure my pool captains know how to do it.

Toasty can you edit pool 4 to
DragonCharlz 6 - 0
Serpent 5 - 1 (Losing to DragonCharlz)
Juan 3 - 3 (Beating Riku, Grim, Matt)
Riku 3 - 3 (Beating Evan, Grim, Matt)
Grim 2 - 4 (Beating Evan, Matt)
Evan 2 - 4 (Beating Juan, Matt)
Matt 0 - 6

****it that would have put Juan in brackets. Sorry, Juan for the confusion. Next time, we'll make sure we get everything right.

toasty

Smash Hero
This was so fun, and haters still emerged :ohwell:
There will almost invariably be a hint of that...though I don't think there was much hate on the tournament/T-dome. Just logistics problems with two events going on and one being mistaken for a continuation of the other.

Slash: Thank you so much for everything at the T-dome; I'm really sorry that I didn't do more to help run **** like I said I would. Especially when it came to taking money. I'll talk to you some more and help run the next one so that you have a clear idea of what to do. Also: I'm pretty goddammn loud.

EDIT:
I'll make sure to help run pools/brackets more efficiently so that a mistake like this doesn't happen again. I'll also make sure to take all of the pools captains aside once they've been determined and let them know exactly how **** will be run.

EDIT#2: k, good **** Billy. that makes 6. I should start writing these names down >_>
toasty
Dobee
Grim
Caboose
ndn
Eli

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
wait what? what is this about? the hotel/C3 thing? i dont understand why billy or me would be on that list when we'd already be in nova

drag00nspyd0r

Smash Rookie
Toast: i meant i'm down to help you host whenever.

Also, i prefer the all day tourney. Whether its on a school day or not. Time constrainst suck.

Boose: you know your coming to my hotel brawl bash if I have one. LOL

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
for the record, i only played snake and mk in that tournament.

The only time i played marth was in friendlies, where mashi 3 and 2 stocked me:)
oh i also played a little ike just for fun..that was amusing

whodat

Smash Apprentice
I used more characters than olimar, but I guess if you want to just say I used him that's fine.

Good **** to Boose. That was a hard fought win against me. I actually figured out how to punish that BS now so results will be much better next time. Also nice counter pick to rainbow cruise.

Mashi- Sorry I didn't get to play you. Nice job taking second. But Fox?

Schoolie- Sorry that I left directly after our match. I had things to do and my heart wasn't in the game. I would have left either way. We will play again soon.

Toasty- So much squander it's not even funny. You had me had it not been for the suicide. In any case I see that you have really improved. Next time I will really be prepared.

Unreal- That brinstar mess was ********. Sorry about using olimar though.

Anyway TBFN held it down with all of our members that showed up placing top 10. Next time we will take top 3 spots. Who is down for some 4 on 4 crew battles next time?

About having weekday tourney. I would not be able to attend if they are during the week seeing that I have to work on those days. I am all for supporting the community but if people are like myself and can't take off all the time to do this then they would agree that weekday tournaments aren't a good idea.

toasty

Smash Hero
About having weekday tourney. I would not be able to attend if they are during the week seeing that I have to work on those days. I am all for supporting the community but if people are like myself and can't take off all the time to do this then they would agree that weekday tournaments aren't a good idea.
yeah the truth is that I'd have to take off work myself. I'm just trying to see how the numbers play out before I even attempt to book the venue again. The time constraints were really shltty and put a damper on the tourney for real...it also stressed me the **** out :(

I understand that people have work and I don't expect most people to choose the chance to win money [and pay for that chance] over going to work where you are guaranteed money without spending any...and not just that, work is work, I understand =/

The thing that makes this so difficult to let go of: the venue is the bomb. And if my business relationship with the owner gets better, then he's going to actually put effort into hooking us up with deals. Because he obviously didn't try this time around though I was mislead into thinking he would. It was an experimental run for him and he liked it, so yeah, he'll probably change things around.

It would be easier if it wasn't a bar, of course...like if it wasn't some place where they're guaranteed to make more money off of the tab of one customer than they are from 30 smashers...hmmmmm

thanks for the feedback, whodat

and yeah...that god**** suicide :(

Top Bottom