• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The YES! combo.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
If this is old news, please lock and forget. I couldn't find anything about this just by looking or searching.

So basically, who said that Falcon couldn't combo in Brawl, and that the knee sucks? Because Falcon actually has a combo that works at any % and deals a consistant 23% damage each time.

I'd like to call it "Triple Nipple Back Flip Squirt Dive" combo, but it's not that spectacular, so I'll just call it the YES! combo for simplicity's sake.

There are two versions of this combo. One which works at all %s, and one which is ten times manlier but only works during mid-range %.

Method 1: landing Nair to up B.

Captain Falcon's Nair cancels very quickly on the ground. Likewise, the first hit of it delivers sufficient stun. If you hit with the first hit only, you can easily use an Ftilt or a grab, but where's the fun in that? Captain Falcon can also use his up B in this situation, resulting in a kick to the face followed by the ultimate humiliation move. The spacing and timing is quite tricky though, and if you're off by just a hair, it won't really work. I've tested it with various DI and it's unescapable, but you have to be VERY quick and prescise when doing it.

Method 1: flubbed shorthopped knee to up B.

Now Captain Falcon's Knee stays out for a very long time. If you shorthop this move, you can cut out all the lag on landing. Hit an opponent towards the end of a shorthopped knee, and you can actually combo it into an up B without any problem. It even works when they trip! This successfully blends two of Falcon's manliest attacks to create a really stylish combo that'll have your opponent screaming "HAX, NO COMBOS IN BRAWL!".

I don't have videos, unfortunately, but I've been testing them pretty extensively. Somebody else please try them out. I would have thought this was obvious stuff, but nobody here talks about it much.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
This looks interesting. I tried the first variation on a lvl 9 cpu in training, and the move landed quite well (even if the cpu shields, the dive still lands). However, I'd like to try this out on a human player first; hopefully Key will be on later so we can give it a go(EDIT: speak of the devil). By the looks of it, this may actually be fast enough to catch people off guard (even though it isn't technically a combo). Nice find :)

Mann

Smash Ace
I started to use Uairs to Up B's.

I haven't been able to play a lot recently, but I'm pretty sure Uairs to Up B's are really useful. Like a Uair, Dash attack, Uair, UP + B.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
It's not TECHNICALLY a combo, BUT it goes on the same principle as Lucario's chain grab. It isn't escapable if you do it right, because falcon dive hits during the frames where the opponent would normally put up their shield. Even if they roll or spot-dodge, it will still get them before they can really do anything to avoid it.

Also, if you do it in slow motion on training mode, you can see that it hits them before the stun from the knee wears off. But you have to do it out of a running short hop for best results.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Key n I tested this out today. I don't know if we're doing it right, but from what we're doing the first version of the combo is definitely spot - dodgeable. It's quick however, and definitely not something I'd expect, so I would think it would still work when you opponent isn't thinking about it.

As for the soft knee version, I'll have to get back to you. BTW, which was the combo that could only be done at mid % and was very manly?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Key n I tested this out today. I don't know if we're doing it right, but from what we're doing the first version of the combo is definitely spot - dodgeable. It's quick however, and definitely not something I'd expect, so I would think it would still work when you opponent isn't thinking about it.

As for the soft knee version, I'll have to get back to you. BTW, which was the combo that could only be done at mid % and was very manly?
You're doing it too slow. If you do it right, the opponent should't even touch the ground at all, and will still be in stun when the Falcon Dive connects.

Here's a tip, Nair has to come out very close to the ground. As in close enough to hit metaknight.

The knee works because it sends the opponent sliding across the ground without knocking them down, which is similar to Dedede's chain grab in stun time. Because of the weird range on Falcon Dive, Captain Falcon also "snaps" over to the opponent if you timed it correctly.

Try it in slow motion in training mode for the best idea of how and why this works.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Even if it technically does work, I wouldn't use N-air to Up-B. The N-air of course is rather easy to miss with.

Knee to Up-B? OMGWTF win.

YES! combo is the best name I've heard yet.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Even if it technically does work, I wouldn't use N-air to Up-B. The N-air of course is rather easy to miss with.

Knee to Up-B? OMGWTF win.

YES! combo is the best name I've heard yet.
The only bad thing about using the knee is that in order for the combo to work, you need to hit with it near the end of the attack, not at the start. So there's a fair amount of time for your opponent to see it coming and block it.

Having said that, Falcon moves pretty far and pretty fast while doing a single running shorthop, and the knee's hitbox stays out for a very long time and has decent priority. It's also fairly safe on block since there's no lag. although that won't save you from a shield grab.

The knee to up B also stops working at higher %, but you can try to hit with Falcon Kick instead.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I've been playing around with tripping moves lately, and the 50% trip rate on Falcon's knee is INCREDIBLY useful. You can combo all sorts of things out of a knee trip, including a running Up smash.

Top Bottom