• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth's 'infinite' grab on Lucas/Ness not working

∫unk

Smash Master
Am I doing this wrong? Hold down L and spam A after the grab? It worked the first few matches, but now my Lucas opponent can get out fairly easily. He says he uses a combination of jump, and both sticks to DI away.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If you keep mashing A then they should not be able to get out of it.

They can DI back though. In this case you can run foward and grab.

Edit: Why are you holding L? I don't do this. Maybe that's messing you up? I don't see why it would though.

RoalbeZ

Smash Cadet
sorry I searched and didn't find anything about the ness/lucas infinite, is it just spamming A on a grab??

(sorry to ask)

MoldinMindz

Smash Cadet
Can someone repost the details on the ness/lucas infinite grab...
Personally, I've been chaining 2-3 grabs at the most on ness/lucas, I'd like to hear more on this tech.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If you keep mashing A then they should not be able to get out of it.

They can DI back though. In this case you can run foward and grab.

Edit: Why are you holding L? I don't do this. Maybe that's messing you up? I don't see why it would though.
If they do the jump escape to break out of the grab (they'll break out with a jump rather than just sliding away from you) then you cannot regrab them. However, you can still easily get an aerial off from this situation.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I don't think they can jump out if you keep mashing A.

But even if they do, as you said, if you react fast anout if should be a free aerial. So it thier percent is high enough and you tip the aerial it will be a kill or an edgeguard set-up.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
I didn't know Marth could infinite grab Ness and Lucas. From what I take from this thread, the way you do it is to grab them once and pummel until they break free, then you immediately grab them again?

I just tried doing this to a level 9 computer Ness and I was able to grab and pummel a few times, but at times he would jump out of the grab like Sonic Wave said. I set X to grab (since I never use it as jump and I hate the Z button >_>) so I just mashed X and it seemed to work until he jumped out of it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You really just have to keep mashing the A button then grab when they get out.

If you don't mash it seems to be alot easier for them to jump out.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Hmm...have you tried it on level 9 computers, Emblem Lord? Ness seemed to jump out fairly often for me and I was mashing the grab button (which both grabs and pummels) the entire time. This was done in training for me, although I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

Also, I wasn't mashing as fast as I possibly could, but I'm not quite sure if that would make a difference. It seemed like he could jump straight out of the grab without ever touching the ground.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I mash with the A button if it makes a difference. Yeah, I did it on level 9's. If a level 9 can't break out then I'm going to assume that no one can since Level 9's are adept at getting out of combos in Brawl and airdodging, rolling, perfect shileding at exactly the right time.

Just grab and mash A as fast as you can. There is nothing they can do as far as I can tell.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Hmm, alright. I'll try it using the A button instead next time I play and see if it makes a difference. I guess I'll try mashing more quickly and seeing if that changes anything too.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Alright, I just tried it again now. It was the speed I was mashing that was the problem. I guess I was giving them a slight pause between pummeling and that's what allowed him to break free. Mash quickly and they can't do anything about it, like Emblem Lord said. This seems to work for me using either the A button and then grabbing, or by infinitely mashing the grab button like I was originally doing. I forgot to check using the way the thread creator was doing it, by holding shield and hitting A, but I'd imagine that works too. You just have to do it quickly enough, it seems.

On a side note, button mashing is one of the things I'm actually pretty good at, so I'm glad to see it can be implemented in Marth's game in some way. :laugh:

EDIT: Thinking about it a bit more, I might actually not be using this technique, if only to keep things interesting. I have a friend who plays Ness and I already beat him pretty good as Marth. I love to try and gain every advantage I can but such an easy infinite combo seems a little too broken for me. My friend would just about auto-lose every game if I took a stock every time I got a grab.

Still, it's a pretty amazing combo. Absolutely destroys Ness and Lucas. Oh, and I have nothing against people who do use it, of course. It's just that I only play in "friendlies" and I don't want to force my friend to play someone else. :ohwell:

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Is it banned in tournament play?
I know tournament rules aren't out yet (well officially) but has this banned in tournaments you've been to b/c it seems easier to perform then DDD's infinite grab on certain characters

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No it hasn't been banned so far. Unlike DDD's chaingrab, it only works on two characters, both of which are uncommon (though not quite rare) characters to see in tournaments. It's basically the same situation as Shiek vs Bowser, in that Marth just pretty much becomes a hard counter to those two characters. The DDD chaingrab hasn't been banned either, and I don't think it will ever be banned.

I don't ever use this in friendlies, simply because it takes no practice to actually do once you have the grab (though I do practice getting grabs off for this very purpose). Friendlies is a time for practicing and trying new things, so once I've got something down I pretty much avoid it except for polishing purposes.

@Emblem Lord-I wasn't aware that the speed at which you grab attack them was important. My bad.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This can't be banned since it only works on two characters and one of them (Ness) isn't even that amazing.

Marth counters Ness and Lucas.

It just means that people who play these characters better have a secondary if they play in tournaments.

zaf

Smash Lord
The easiest way to get this done, is to be shielding and grab them, your finger is already on "R" or "L" depending on what you use, ( i use L, no difference at all from R). Once i got them in, i just keep tapping "a" and ness/lucas is stuck.

If you do this in training mode in slow motion, you will notice that ness/lucas does a weird little landing that delays their recovery, giving marth the extra time to get them back in the grab.

there is in fact a way out of this. I got a friend to do this to me as i was lucas/ness and if you count the amount of knee's marth gives you can eventually know when he stops and lets go. When the last knee is done, you jump out.

this is how you get out of the infinite grab.

=P yw.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I dunno. Levitas and Ankoku have studied the hell out of this and they say' it's inconsistent. But even if you jump out it seems like Marth still gets a free hit.

Plus the number of hits Marth can do will vary depending on your percentage. And the number of hits he can give you will also vary on whether or not you try to mash out as well.

∫unk

Smash Master
Regardless, it's extremely hard to get out, and on average nets 20% against my friend who plays a very good Lucas. I'm not sure if it's my reaction time, or my friend DIing away while air dodging at the first possible moment, but they can usually dodge your aerial if they do jump out.

It's not the 50+% chain grab (like pikachu d throw v fox) like I originally thought, so trying to force it is a bad idea, especially if the opponent is effectively spacing with pk fires.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I just use it when an opportunity presents itself. Marth already has advantage on both Ness and Lucas, This is just an easy way to get some good damage in. You get a few grabs off then when they break out for 2nd or 3rd time you go for a Dancing Blade or a smash attack.

It's also an easy kill set-up.

Top Bottom