• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

better and faster way of hugging. (UPDATE!)

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
as we all know hugging is when you run/walk/roll to the end of the stage and press towards the stage as you fall so can you immediately edgehog. instead of falling and pressing towards the stage to edgehog i roll to the end of the stage and press diagonal down depending if im at the left or the right of the stage. this will instantly let you edgehog. speed hugging would be a great name for it. check the video.

Look on page 4 for a better explaination.

The quality is horrible.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4DNOh0ATGIg

EDIT: I just found a new effective way to speed hug. What you do is dash towards the edge of the stage then before reaching the end you tap backwards on the joystick to get to in the sliding animation then press diagonally down right before the animation ends and you speed hug even faster.

Post a video when i get the chance.

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
It's not really a new technique.
It's more of an improvement to an old one.
Plus, I bet some people already do this.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Whether it's a new technique or an improvement it doesn't matter. Point is that he pointed out something that many people can benefit from seeing that in most smash videos I see, people don't usually do it. So thanks siqmonkey

Almo

Smash Ace
It has the same effect as fast falling and then holding towards the ledge (run off edge, hold down, let go, hold towards edge) but this way seems less likely to fast fall past the edge. interesting.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Seems like a good technique. I've been wondering for a while how I can edgehog efficiently, and this looks like it will work. I'm a bit skeptical of the physics at the moment, but I'll definitely test in out when I get home. Thanks for the tip!

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
your most welcome. at least im getting a bit of appreciation *cough* 0m3n5150 *cough*. I'll try to get video footage just in case this become a new technique.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Most of my friends edgehog this way. However, nice job finding it for yourself, i had to be told about it ^^;;.

S2

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm late to the party, but I didn't know about this.

Seems situational which one is better, but there is a definite advantage to this way if your standing still at the edge.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I actually have not heard about this, or ran across it either. I def. plan to attempt this one. Thanks for the enlightenment.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
Any one who is actually competitive already does this. It was found very shortly after hugging was popularized, and has been wide spread since then.
if this is true then we would have seen this in some of the many vids out there on ssbb. i'm the first one to mention this so far and if the competitive players do know this then im just revealing it to the rest of the smash community.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
That's cool stuff there. I need to try it to see how fast it is. Even if it's not that fast, it seems pretty effective because you are literally on the edge with no real give away. Cool stuff.

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
Thank You! I dunno if its me or ROB. But i struggle jumping from standing on the stage to grabbing the ledge. So this will really help me improove. Lets hope it works for my strategies, thanks :)

Coselm

Smash Ace
I can't seem to jsut grab the ledge by holding diagnol with toon link, but I run off the stage and fast fall and that works fine.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
it should work with toon link. im going to try it with every character. i'll let you guys know by today. and your welcome.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
wow it even looks better than wavedash thanks man! *uses hugging for last time*

mventre

Smash Apprentice
hey i am trying to do this and i can't for some reason ..do you just roll to the edge then press diagonal down (in direction near ledge) or do you roll then immediately during the roll hold diagonal down and once you hit the ledge it will drop you down to grab it?

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
you just roll to the edge then press the diagonal down. make sure your at the very end of the stage. the only reason why i roll to the edge is to make sure im at the very end so then i can instantly edgehog. you can be standing at the the end and still do it. you can even run there. but i like rolling cause its easier that why.

also i just spent the last 30 min. speed hugging with every character and yes they can all do it.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
I really cant do this, for some reason, ive tried in the past but ive never been able to get the hang of it. I cant get it to work at all by rolling to the edge. i would consider this a well known technique though.. any person that edge hogs with sonic does it because he cant do a regular edge hog at all. he's too fast.
heres a good video of it with sonic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsPU6nCm5iI

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
I really cant do this, for some reason, ive tried in the past but ive never been able to get the hang of it. I cant get it to work at all by rolling to the edge. i would consider this a well known technique though.. any person that edge hogs with sonic does it because he cant do a regular edge hog at all. he's too fast.
heres a good video of it with sonic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsPU6nCm5iI
what lucky does is not speed hugging. he has to run off the stage to do that. speed hugging can be done while standing still . his method is running off the stage and quickly doing a backwards attack. you can mess up and fast fall that way. my method is safe and fast.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
ok, same teqnique except you dont run, you still grab the ledge instantly in both cases.

Top Bottom