• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Faster Hydroplaning...

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
I put this in the hydroplaning topic, but with the little response (ie: No response) I decided to make this a topic after seeing a vid of someone still doing it wither reverse hydroplaning. (Actually, it was Argent Stew in his sliding out of Shell Shifting using a crawl)

So...

Reverse Hydroplaning:

This is what you see in the tutorial video on hydroplaning. You run, shell shift, and perform an up-smash after the change in direction. This is Reverse Hydroplaning because you are going in the opposite direction of your dash.

Hydroplaning:

This is merely performing the up-smash in the first half of the shell shift. I have gotten it to go 3/4 the length of FD. It's pretty fast. Sometimes it's faster than the camera can pan out.

I just wanted to bring attention to this and make sure because I believe this is more useful then Reverse hydroplaning. (Since the opponent can see you shell shifting)

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
yea was planning on trying this out at some point. can you clarify the exact timing a little bit?

has to be a jc'ed usmash, just like "regular" (reverse) hydroplaning, right?

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
It is exactly like a regular hydroplane, except that you perform it before squirtle changes direction. I can send a video to someone with capture software if people want a video.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
yes, but i was asking when exactly you do the jc usmash.

I experimented and got it though, you have to be really fast. I was essentially pressing diagonally back and up and doing the usmash RIGHT after the shellshift starts.

The movement is =insane=, possibly even further than a "regular" (reverse) hydroplane. A bit harder to execute, but that's just because I haven't practiced it too much.

infernovia

Smash Ace
This really needs a video. It sounds insane, you have so little set up time and gain huge distance. Just to make sure though, do you go forward or backwards? Like lets say you dash right, shellshift and usmash, does squirtle go left or right? Does this work with utilt too?

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
you would go right.

probably doesn't work with utilt, unless you can JC a utilt.

the movement i would say is pretty much almost exactly like a melee SWD.

Earthstrike

Smash Rookie
Maybe this will help some people understand. From any given shellshift, squirtle can hydroplane in either direction. Lets say squirtle is dashing left. If you hard right squirtle will start his shell turnaround animation. The original hydroplane had you start his upsmash as he exited his shell when the turnaround animation was going left, however, it turns out you can start the upsmash as the turnaround animation is still going right. Squirtle will accelerate when doing this and proceed to hydroplane to the right. To do this think of it like a street fighter combo. When dashing forward quickly go back, backup, up a. We're talking Haduken fast, but getting it is quite nice.

Edit: Also, When done correctly, you should NOT hear the shellshift noise, If you do, You're going to slowly.

Edit2: To avoid the confusion between reverse hydroplaning and regular that some people are having I propose calling the hydroplane that starts in the latter part of the shellshift animation a slow hydroplane and that which is done in the earlier section the quick hydroplane, which can be acronymated the SH and QH respectively.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
SH is already an acronym =/

Also,

Maybe this will help some people understand. From any given shellshift, squirtle can hydroplane in either direction. Lets say squirtle is dashing left. If you hard right squirtle will start his shell turnaround animation. The original hydroplane had you start his upsmash as he exited his shell when the turnaround animation was going RIGHT, however, it turns out you can start the upsmash as the turnaround animation is still going LEFT. Squirtle will accelerate when doing this and proceed to hydroplane to the LEFT.
fix'd.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Yeah. It goes pretty far and fast. I don't play often and usually only play snake. So, I'm not sure about all the applications of this. I just wanted to note this for all you PT mains.

chaos 9

Smash Cadet
whats a shell shift? sorry if thats nooby but i dont really follow the names of all the atks.

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
Shell Shifting is the turn around animation. (When you push in the opposite direction of your run, you go in your shell and change directions.)

heroboy

Smash Cadet
This is twin dreams' brother, and he initially showed me this Hydroplaning. It's extremely fast and goes far.

We basically thought of it the same way Earthstrike did.

Dash-> Hadoken (Back to up) -> A

Squirtle will fling in the same direction of the dash.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Timing: run forward then in imediate succesion back, jump(if tap jump is off), up smash. Its rediculous and awesome. I configured l to jump bacuse i hate tap jump and so i can do it with c stick.

J4pu

Smash Champion
please clarify the fact that it has to be a jump canceled up smash, Ive seen those instructions so much, what does that mean?
is it an upsmash using analog+A rather than cstick or does it mean something else? (i was trying it like this for quite a while as fast as I could and i couldn't get it a single time)

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
jump cancelled usmash: cancelling the JUMP ANIMATION with a usmash.

what this means:

-if you have tap jump off, you need to press JUMP right before you do the usmash

-if you have tap jump on, you don't need to do anything other than a regular usmash (when you press up for the usmash it will make you jump automatically)

Yumil

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqoeTQV0ss

A vid with two really long ones of these.

EDIT: My thoughts on the naming convention.

Lets just call all of Squirtles slides a hydroplane. They all use the exact same mechanic, just at different intervals, thus they are the same thing. The problem is that the turn around hydroplane is known as just "hydroplaning" right now.

What I suggest is we start calling the turn around one a reverse hydroplane and the forward one a forward hydroplane(or you could drop the forward). One could call either hydroplaning at this moment and if you say where your opponent is you can extrapolate which one was used.

What about the other moves used like a sliding fsmash. Well, we can just call them a hydroplaned fsmash or a hydroplaned dsmash or whatever.

Why keep the name hydroplane? Well, the easiest one by far to learn it is the hydropump, thus the slide should keep named after the USmash.

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqoeTQV0ss

A vid with two really long ones of these.

EDIT: My thoughts on the naming convention.

Lets just call all of Squirtles slides a hydroplane. They all use the exact same mechanic, just at different intervals, thus they are the same thing. The problem is that the turn around hydroplane is known as just "hydroplaning" right now.

What I suggest is we start calling the turn around one a reverse hydroplane and the forward one a forward hydroplane(or you could drop the forward). One could call either hydroplaning at this moment and if you say where your opponent is you can extrapolate which one was used.

What about the other moves used like a sliding fsmash. Well, we can just call them a hydroplaned fsmash or a hydroplaned dsmash or whatever.

Why keep the name hydroplane? Well, the easiest one by far to learn it is the hydropump, thus the slide should keep named after the USmash.
Is it possible to do do forward hydroplaning with tap jump on?

heroboy

Smash Cadet
That's how I do it.

Running foward -> Slam back and immediately roll to up -> Press A

Top Bottom