• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New ZSS techniques and mindgames I came up with (New techniques)

Snakeee

Smash Master
Here are some useful techniques I discovered in my experience playing ZSS.

1. D smash - D air spike (or just D-air): Under certain stages that have a thin floor, such as Delphino, you can D smash someone that is under the stage and then quickly short hop D air them to spike. This works great on characters that like to mindgame and attack from under the stage. Also, this is a lot more obvious but you can just d-air them through the floor.

2. *I was going to get rid of this, but it shows general approaches for combo attempts.
Up tilt- Up air - Up air - Up B - D smash - D smash - Grab - D throw - whatever you want to follow up with.
(NOT A GUARANTEED COMBO) This can work from the ledge if your opponent is close to it. Also, they can airdodge the Up B. However, this has worked out for my quite often. Doing up airs to Up B in general can lead into basically the same thing. And you can technically follow up the D throw at the end with the entire combo over again. I've gotten a person from 0-81% with a combo similar to this one. Before people hit me with things like, all people have to do is airdodge, you have to realize that you don't have to always follow up with the same thing. Mix things up and mindgame. For instance you can simply wait for an airdodge if you expect it, and follow up after it.

3. Down smash ultra spam + Platform Down Smash - Whenever you are slightly higher than your opponent, you can double D smash them about 3 or 4 times especially if you move forward a bit after the first time. Say you're at that part of Delphino with the Star (or whatever it's called). You're opponent is on the lower part, and you're on the higher. If he stands anywhere near you...D smash spam. Another time for this is on Pokemon Stadium 1. Stand on the branch on the left side of the tree on that one formation, and if someone's on the other side of the tree....D smash spam. There are other times for this as well.
You can stand on a platform and D smash someone underneath you if It's a big character!!!
This works with the D smash spam like above.

Armor part juggle - I have done this for a while but I just recently realized just how useful it is. It allows you to spam an attack and infinitely re-grab an armor part. The biggest thing is that with this approach your part will never fly off the stage unless the opponent breaks this. What you do is grab an armor part, short hop, smash throw it into the floor, and up-air as the piece comes back up at you. This is very spammable, as you can do this over and over with ease once you get the hang of it. If you think you'll get hit doing short hops you can also do full jumps, but there is more of a chance of you losing the part that way. With this you can destroy your opponents shield as you're hitting with both an armor part and an an up-air. By doing this you can save an armor part for a long time, sometimes even onto the last stock! Along with this the best things you can do with the armor are forward and backwards glide tosses.

5. Going from under one side of a stage to the other - Ok, this isn't exactly the most useful thing I don't think. I still found it interesting though. I've been able to make it from under one side of some of the stages
(including Battlefield), to the other. Simply drop from the ledge, move forward a bit, down b, jump and Up-B at just the right time for the best boost, then Up B onto the other ledge. She can actually grab the ledge from an angle, so sometimes it may look like you'll miss, but you'll still get it.

6. Double D smash chain - No, the D smash chain was not my idea. However, I was the one to suggest doing double D smashes with the chain and thanks DarkShadowRage for confirming it to work on humans. I just wanted to list it here to make sure people know that a double D smash is a better option on the chain than a single one. The method is simply D smash - D smash - walk forward a bit - D smash - D smash - walk forward again - yeah you get the idea. Check DarkShadowRage's Topic on the move to see who it works on and on who it doesn't.

7. Down B/footstool tricks - First off, the Down B special footstool is amazing. It makes the Down B unpunishable if you predict things right and helps it become a more offensive move. When you Down B over someone you have the option of continuing with the Down B attack, or if you think they're expecting that, you can do the footstool over their head and gain a lot of space.
If someone is edgehogging you, you're somewhat close to them and you can' make it with your down b you can down b footstool them. You don't have to be directly over their head. I think you can even be a bit to the side of them. As someone said in other topic, the footstool works on almost anything, including over your armor parts. This could add to some armor mindgames. It may also prove to be a great tool in teams by down b footstooling your partner in order to reach an opponent. I would say some more, but some people beat me to some of my favorite combos and tricks. I will probably add to this soon though.

8. Down B Infinite Ledge Stall - I just perfected this, and it's pretty simple to do. From the ledge, you tap backwards and drop a slight bit, then press Down B. You will instantly grab the ledge again and be invincible during the down B. There is little your opponent can do against this. The only way you can possibly get hit is if they can get you the instant you let go of the ledge. Also, if they drop and grab the ledge before you then you can just down b wall jump and jump again to get back onto the stage. This is the perfect thing to do when your opponent respawns.

D-smash - Down B spike - If you are edgeguarding from the stage and your opponent ends up recovering close enough for you to D-smash them (not under the stage like the b-air spike), you can simply Down-B and spike them with the attack part while they're stunned. You have to do the attack in whatever direction ZSS' foot will hit them. Stand as close as you can at the edge for the D-smash. Then Down B, and make sure you wait a split second and do the attack part at the very end of the animation or it will not spike.

10. Ledge hop paralyzer shot (+ down B) - it's possible to do a ledge hop, shoot a shot at your opponent, and have ZSS instantly grab the ledge again. This is useful when the opponent is wise to ZSS' ledge game and stays back a bit while you're on the edge. You let go of the ledge, do a short hop, and press B right away on the way up from the jump. If you timed it right the shot will be at a height to hit the opponent and the lag will be over by the time you fall back down to the edge.
If you expect this to hit ,instead of grabbing the ledge again, you can down B attack them immediently after the shot.

StarScarJenova

Smash Rookie
The under the stage travel I've done a little, just isnt practical enough, risk versus reward is too great. Good finds though!

Snakeee

Smash Master
The under the stage travel I've done a little, just isnt practical enough, risk versus reward is too great. Good finds though!
Well, I really just put that there because I thought it was interesting and the fact that she can do that is a good example of her recovery abilities. And thanks.

I would like to demonstrate some of these in vids, but I can't record right now. The only vids I have up are the few on the ZSS Video thread and I didn't really get to do any of this in those games.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Great thread! :D I approve, oh and snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake i'd love to train with you sometime on Brawl mind if I add you?

Snakeee

Smash Master
Great thread! :D I approve, oh and snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake i'd love to train with you sometime on Brawl mind if I add you?
Thanks and, sure, I'll add you this weekend. Might be pretty laggy though, you're kind of far away. But, its cool I want to play against the many styles of ZSS.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Thanks and, sure, I'll add you this weekend. Might be pretty laggy though, you're kind of far away. But, its cool I want to play against the many styles of ZSS.

I don't think lag will be an issue as well a friend of mine who lives in scotland has the game imported and we can play nearly flawless :p
and I added ya by the way.

always looking for new ways to improve my ZSS I got a ways to go so it'd be nice to see how you fight and judging by your combo's that you posted in here, you sound like you would be a great challenge, also I saw some of your videos, you look great! :D

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
One thing I really need to work on is short hopping..I can sorta do it but I always end up doing a full jump when i'm in a scuffle.. >_<

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs RPG(ZSS)

This is why I need to learn how to short hop better it's funny I can do it all over in the waiting room, but when I get into a match to do it, i screw up it's like Wolf is not letting me do that.

I lost to a short hop Bair but it was a **** good fight, RPG Is known as Cancel on Smashboards.

Eten

Smash Ace
Before people hit me with things like, all people have to do is airdodge, you have to realize that you don't have to always follow up with the same thing. Mix things up and mindgame. For instance you can simply wait for an airdodge if you expect it, and follow up after it.
Yeah. Combination of Zamus's speed, both horizontally and vertically, is nearly perfect for tricking people into airdodging for the uair timing and just using bair/fair instead or vice-versa. It's just a slight variation on the timing on your end, but it comes so fast that they rarely can predict with certainty which one you will do. You can even do this at double jump distances.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
You play your ZSS really aggressivley, which isn't something I really recommend (Especially against Ike), but to each their own.

Something to add... Drop off the stage for an uair. Nobody ever expects it, and it has a decent chance of killing them too.

Snakeee

Smash Master
You play your ZSS really aggressivley, which isn't something I really recommend (Especially against Ike), but to each their own.

Something to add... Drop off the stage for an uair. Nobody ever expects it, and it has a decent chance of killing them too.
Yeah, I'm aware that my style is aggressive, and a lot of people have pointed that out. However, it works well for me. You can play aggressive and smart at the same time, but yeah I understand if sometimes I go a bit overboard. ZSS can be played aggressively well because she can put so much pressure on her opponent. That's what alot of my play is, pressuring. And when you do slow down a bit people get caught off guard. I think almost any style can work though, so yeah to each their own. It is interesting though, because I haven't seen another ZSS player play like me at all.

And about the up air...do you mean as an edgeguard? I've used it on occasion like that, but you'd usually be too low for a kill like that and are usually better off doing a B air or a forward B. God, I love doing Forward B off the stage :chuckle:

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm aware that my style is aggressive, and a lot of people have pointed that out. However, it works well for me. You can play aggressive and smart at the same time, but yeah I understand if sometimes I go a bit overboard. ZSS can be played aggressively well because she can put so much pressure on her opponent. That's what alot of my play is, pressuring. And when you do slow down a bit people get caught off guard. I think almost any style can work though, so yeah to each their own. It is interesting though, because I haven't seen another ZSS player play like me at all.

And about the up air...do you mean as an edgeguard? I've used it on occasion like that, but you'd usually be too low for a kill like that and are usually better off doing a B air or a forward B. God, I love doing Forward B off the stage :chuckle:
Aggressive ZSS player. I am the same. Nice ZSS. I plan to enter tourney this year perhaps this summer. I cant youtube like you guys can :(.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Just wanted to say this is a fantastic thread Snakeee, i'm going to try hard to uitilize some of this stuff myself. Keep up the great work!

Snakeee

Smash Master
I edited two and three. Notice what I said about D smashing through platforms, I think that's not too well known and is awesome against most of the bigger characters.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I feel the need to bump this awesome thread, I couldn't find it.

Stiputation

Smash Journeyman
Oh I'm so jealous.

I certainly wish I could do all that hopping and jumping around all backwards and everything.
Although I do hate to think that my style of playing is straightforward.
Actually, I'm not sure how I play to be honest XD;

But I do plan on utilizing some of these strategies. Hopefully it'll help me improve 30fold. :]

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Just push yourself to try new ways to fight Stiputation, I used to be horrible at Smash Bros., I started watching how others play, and tried it, and over time, more and more sticks and eventually you'll be an awesome player.

BoredPeanut

Smash Journeyman
I like most of these combos but I do have a little variation on one of them.

Instead of always going for the double up air ((which gets predictible)) I mix it up but doing an up b after one up air, pulls them down right below you, then doing a down air and you'll almost always land both hits. That also knocks them up into the air where you can continue with a b/f air or whatever you desire.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
I actually really like your Zamus. I used to play like you more but tried to get more defensive. Seeing you play aggressively makes me want to go back and makes me think I would be able to get good like that.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
To clarify my point, the Uair has a bigger hit range and less lag then the other ones. I've gotten plenty of kills with it that way, seeing as they're generally 150+% at that point.

I are bad at killing.

aequitas.veritas

Smash Apprentice
the under the stage thing is kinda cool. once i experimented with it a little bit you really start to realize how good/far her recovery is. the 2xjump to up b boost with the ability to still db and/or then tether is quite tasty.

Snakeee

Smash Master
First page updated. Check number 4 because I completely changed it and it's something really useful. I wish I had vids to explain them better though...

The_RoyalJester

Smash Rookie
SSBB Wifi Friend Match (DSR)ZSS vs RPG(ZSS)

This is why I need to learn how to short hop better it's funny I can do it all over in the waiting room, but when I get into a match to do it, i screw up it's like Wolf is not letting me do that.

I lost to a short hop Bair but it was a **** good fight, RPG Is known as Cancel on Smashboards.
You lost this because you are horrible at making sure you are facing the right direction. There are a few things you could do a little different. Main thing is be more aggressive when playing another character that also requires space.

I will admit you do have some nice shield usage, rolls, and spot dodges.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
umm well just checking to see if anyone knows about the Up B cancel on thin platforms that you can grab. I honestly wouldnt be suprised if this discovered a long time ago or has no practical use but i have caught a few oli/snake players off guard on halberd and delfino.
Just jump past the grabbing zone of the edge and Up B. You will tether the side be land promptly on the floor with no lag. If you guys dont get it ill post a vid. But then again im pretty sure its been discovered already.

Zero

Smash Hero
Wow.....

What a necro.

Yes we know that. Pretty sure there's even a thread about it. Tether flipping or something like that.

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
This is an helpful thread. You can never have too many tools and tricks to use at your disposal. Snakeee^^

Top Bottom