• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit's Up B can "parry" attacks

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
Was messing around with pit, and noticed that you can stop most attacks and grabs by using his up B at the exact moment you are hit. Its not super armor, because he takes no damage, and its not invincibility because it does cancel the attack. In fact, it will actually blow people away.

It can be followed up with a neutral a combo on the ground, or you can roll. It stops an approaching opponent because they cant dash attack/shffl/upsmash or dashing grab you, helping with pits spacing (to be more effective/annoying with arrows).

I think it counts as a high-priority attack that doesn't hit, based on its effect. However Pikachu's ->B can't be stopped with it. So far it only works while standing on the ground. On the plus side, if you leap early, you can still nair as you land.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
It stops grabs as well? That's interesting.

Parrying an attack with the Up-B doesn't give you any advantage, since both you and the opponent reset to normal standing position. Going into the air and attacking with the up-B also isn't good since aerials from that position go over people's heads, or you receive the landing lag.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
yeah, but it certainly throws someone off, and as long as you know its coming, you'd have an huge advantage. just another thing to mix in.

and of course, you dont want to miss, so you'd probably just run

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
pimp move,
you should pick a name for it since (if i am not mistaken) nobody have post this move anywhere else.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Someone please test if this can be used to get out of Dedede's chaingrab. Iff so then we have yet another character that can Up-B out of it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Someone please test if this can be used to get out of Dedede's chaingrab. Iff so then we have yet another character that can Up-B out of it.
Good point. I have a friend who can do it. I'll give it a try the next time I play him.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
Yes, it completely stops both the grab and his running attack after his down throw.

Watch out though, if the D3 delays his grab a little and you launch your Up-B early, he'll grab you out of it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well, I think it works on the Down throw chain grab , But I do not believe it works on the forward throw directly into nana, forward throw directly into popo chain grab unless I'm wrong. But a nice notice to the IC chain grab if they do down throw.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
can someone please test it on the grab combo into ice block lock?

With all their options, I'm pretty sure theres going to be at least one combo that pit cant get out of.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I can try the next time my I play with my friend which should be soon. He is a good IC and can do all of them.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
I guess this would be called 'wing shove' which already exists. We just didn't know that it could be used to get out of chain-grabs and other combos.

I'm gonna produce a video of Pit escaping D3's chain-grab but I need someone to do the chain-grab for me.

Doval

Smash Lord
Its not super armor, because he takes no damage, and its not invincibility because it does cancel the attack. In fact, it will actually blow people away.
He has invincibility from the first frame, until the frames that it starts clanking attacks. This is what causes grabs to miss - it doesn't "cancel" them or anything of the sort (there's no way to stop a grab, they have priority over normal hits.)

Pikachu's Forward B can't be clanked because you can't clank aerials.

EDIT: By the way, the clank effect isn't high-priority. It won't interrupt a Smash, nor can it stop Samus's Charge Shot. It essentially has the priority of a jab. If it were high priority, it would interrupt Smash Attacks and weak hits like jabs wouldn't interrupt the move.

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
When do you push it ive been getting chain grabbed and i just spam the up b but i cant get the timing right.
If you see the first part of the wing animation, then its because the dedede is a little slow and hes grabbing you after you've already started your Up-b, so wait a split second before you try, because it needs to be used at the same time to parry the grab.

If he's grabbing you before, then he may be the fastest dedede ever. Try hitting up-b right before/as you land.

Edit: On a side note, what causes the push effect?

Doval

Smash Lord
The push is from a "wind" effect. Many moves have these: Kirby and Dedede's Inhale, Toon Link's d-air when he slams into the ground, Ness's PSI Magnet (Down B) when he disengages it, Ganondorf's Up-Tilt, and Link's Gale Boomerang when it's returning, to name a few.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I found a couple of good uses for this:
1. Time an Up B on opponents using edge attack recovery. (it knocks them off the edge)
2. Ike's side B. (Use just before he strikes. I think it is easier to dodge instead of rolling)
3. Use while someone is charging up (Pushes them out of attack range and leaves you free to attack)

Some general info I decided to post.

Doval

Smash Lord
Why would you? You're just using the Up-B, no cancels involved unless you want to do it out of your shield or something.

Doval

Smash Lord
The timing is akin to Perfect Shielding/Powershielding. Mess around in Training Mode at 1/4 speed and you'll see it much easier. Just remember that it's got about the same priority as a jab, so Smash attacks will still go through. It's also very easy to see with another Pit's arrows.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
has any1 found out if the wing shove can get out any other chaingrabs beside DDD's, like the IC.

xeleion

Smash Apprentice
What about Falco chaingrab?

If it gets out of that too, then I want a rematch against Chillen. v__v

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
I thought falco can't chaingrab Pit. the wing shove only makes it worse.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I hate you Falco. Maybe Im doin the DI thing wrong against it. I so want to call that bird a FeatherF*g, just like they do in the Brawl Taunts 2 vid.

Kmaru

Smash Cadet
Man finally a new find i was bought to start workin on my fox more.

Top Bottom